The Retro-PES Corner

@Flipper the Priest Ooh, the goals are drying up a bit for Juve! You shouldn't be so hard on yourself though, you aren't inconsistent- in the previous video you were consistently good, and in this one you were consistently...not good! Just kidding :D. At least you are still second, promotion is in sight if you can muster a strong finish.

Some of your opponents were on form though, weren't they. Brescia and WE were especially impressive, and I envy Brescia's line-up; Boban and Dunga in midfield, Morientes up front :SHOCK:. Do players develop better/worse stats and retire on PES 3? I wonder if Baggio has hung up his boots or just keeping the bench warm. I noticed Trezeguet for WE did a great turn which enabled him to set up their second goal; did he do that himself or was it a fortunate deflection off either his heel or that of your player? Either way, looked good and helped him. That penalty you had against Galatasaray was a bit of strange one wasn't it; the defender sliding into the back of your striker when a teammate had already intercepted the ball, not to mention he was about 3 yards away and headed in the wrong direction with that tackle! I reckon he was bribed :P.

I prefer highlights which include non-goals, there are often interesting situations and it gives more of a sense of the balance of the match. It's up to you though, it's your hard work after all, and seeing only the goals is better than nothing!

@goalgerd The action looks great, but personally I don't think that particular pitch looks good. I assume it is meant to show a pitch covered in the sort of confetti thrown by South American fans, but it looks distracting to me and not quite natural.

Last edited:
@Flipper the Priest Ooh, the goals are drying up a bit for Juve! You shouldn't be so hard on yourself though, you aren't inconsistent- in the previous video you were consistently good, and in this one you were consistently...not good! Just kidding :D. At least you are still second, promotion is in sight if you can muster a strong finish.

Some of your opponents were on form though, weren't they. Brescia and WE were especially impressive, and I envy Brescia's line-up; Boban and Dunga in midfield, Morientes up front :SHOCK:. Do players develop better/worse stats and retire on PES 3? I wonder if Baggio has hung up his boots or just keeping the bench warm. I noticed Trezeguet for WE did a great turn which enabled him to set up their second goal; did he do that himself or was it a fortunate deflection off either his heel or that of your player? Either way, looked good and helped him. That penalty you had against Galatasaray was a bit of strange one wasn't it; the defender sliding into the back of your striker when a teammate had already intercepted the ball, not to mention he was about 3 yards away and headed in the wrong direction with that tackle! I reckon he was bribed :P.

I prefer highlights which include non-goals, there are often interesting situations and it gives more of a sense of the balance of the match. It's up to you though, it's your hard work after all, and seeing only the goals is better than nothing!

@goalgerd The action looks great, but personally I don't think that particular pitch looks good. I assume it is meant to show a pitch covered in the sort of confetti thrown by South American fans, but it looks distracting to me and not quite natural.
1978 world cup final

I'll see through these six seasons as longer highlights. I planned to maybe stop recording after them, but maybe I shall continue with goals only!

Players don't develop or decrease. I thought I turned retired players off, but I don't think I did as I think Dunga and Boban are unlockable retirees! Clubs like Brescia and WE United have recruited well - it's made promotion more difficult. Baggio is often left on the bench for some reason.

I think that Trezeguet touch was an accident. And I can't believe I got that pen! I'd have been raging if that was given against me. I like to think De Boer lost the plot and had to be subbed!

My Master League latest.

Had more audio issues so I've shortened it. Wondering whether goals-only is the way to go though. Certainly easier to edit! I think I like longer (but still pretty short) highlights, but keen to know what others think?

As for the football itself - so inconsistent!

I know what you mean regards to videos, sometimes i think i will just record the goals because it’s easier and quicker but i do like watching them back at times especially when it’s a good match. If i don’t do highlights i might regret not being able to watch ‘Classic ML Matches from the 20’s” in a few years time. :P

I know what you mean regards to videos, sometimes i think i will just record the goals because it’s easier and quicker but i do like watching them back at times especially when it’s a good match. If i don’t do highlights i might regret not being able to watch ‘Classic ML Matches from the 20’s” in a few years time. :P

Yeah I prefer having the additional highlights. But it's just soooo much quicker doing goals only! I might start to mark the minutes there are incidents in while I'm playing, which would make it easier to find and mean I wouldn't end up trawling through footage. Problem is remembering - I get so caught up in the games!

Elsewhere, I saw this this morning. I was outside the PES realm at the time and have never seen it before. Honestly made me want to cry:

Howdy guys, I've just started up a Master League on WE9:LE and remember how much I love this game!

I'm just playing the vanilla version of the game but with English menus, translated players, teams and stadiums and real club names thanks to the great work of all the editors who have worked on this game. I quite like playing with the plain original jerseys and even the original club emblems as this is how I remember PES from my PS2 days!

I'm playing on 6-star difficulty as ML United and we're 2-2-1 to start things off which is a big effort from Castolo and the boys! Huylens has been the main goal-scorer and Stein is captaining and leading the defence. Ruskin is impressing with his wing play and Hamsun is pushing for a starting spot as Minanda is beginning to falter a little in his older age. Looking forward to being able to negotiate some new contracts too!

Yeah I prefer having the additional highlights. But it's just soooo much quicker doing goals only! I might start to mark the minutes there are incidents in while I'm playing, which would make it easier to find and mean I wouldn't end up trawling through footage. Problem is remembering - I get so caught up in the games!

Elsewhere, I saw this this morning. I was outside the PES realm at the time and have never seen it before. Honestly made me want to cry:

as a man now in my 40s this gave me the feels

Fixture 2 in the 'Group of Death', Group F.

France and Hungary both have to go for the win to give them a chance of progressing, while Portugal will feel like they need to beat Germany as they know they have France in the final fixture. Portugal v Germany is a bit of a classic ;)

France v Hungary (me)
Portugal (me) v Germany

8728C680-784C-438D-AF8C-7BE8BBDF4B35.jpeg

A great win for France against a disappointing Hungary. I loved Pavard's run and cross for Griezmann's second goal. I think he has to work on his celebration though. A brilliant win for Portugal with Ronaldo pulling the strings. That takes off any pressure for the France game.

I got a question, what is the easiest way to change national team flags in PES 5/6?
It's in the 0 text file, you need to go into flg. 536 I think in the editor and overwrite the flag with the one you want to add, sorry for being vague Im just not at my pc at the moment

edit it in game graphic studio

Last edited:
It's in the 0 text file, you need to go into flg. 536 I think in the editor and overwrite the flag with the one you want to add, sorry for being vague Im just not at my pc at the moment
Sorry if im asking too much but does anyone have a EDITOR for PES 4,5,6 (would appreciate the first 2 ones ) thanks btw.

Thank you guys, I found the tool and successfully relinked flags between teams that exist in the original game. Now I want to add 3 more flags that don't exist in the game, how can I do that?

Still can't understand why Higuain was bald on PES 6 and 2008 😐

1286843374.jpg

while in 2007 he was like this

329268-24111827-2560-1440.jpg

I started making a retrospective/history of PES series beginning with NES to PS1. It's not a review series but rather an overview of the release order of the games and their evolution or areas they improved in. It's not super duper detailed by any means but was a lot of fun putting together and I felt as there wasn't one on YouTube that actually explains any of this stuff (It's usually just raw clips spliced together of the games with no context) maybe I should bother to make one.

I hope you enjoy and it's my first video of this type so there's room for improvement by the time I get onto the PS2 and beyond, Any feed back would be greatly appreciated too!

A retrospective/mini documentary on the history and evolution of Pro Evolution Soccer. In Episode 1, We explore it's humble beginnings on the NES & SNES to it's rise as the greatest football game ever on the PlayStation.

I started making a retrospective/history of PES series beginning with NES to PS1. It's not a review series but rather an overview of the release order of the games and their evolution or areas they improved in. It's not super duper detailed by any means but was a lot of fun putting together and I felt as there wasn't one on YouTube that actually explains any of this stuff (It's usually just raw clips spliced together of the games with no context) maybe I should bother to make one.

I hope you enjoy and it's my first video of this type so there's room for improvement by the time I get onto the PS2 and beyond, Any feed back would be greatly appreciated too!

A retrospective/mini documentary on the history and evolution of Pro Evolution Soccer. In Episode 1, We explore it's humble beginnings on the NES & SNES to it's rise as the greatest football game ever on the PlayStation.

Thanks for the amazing video, brings back so much memories

Amazing video.Really first time watching such a video, and someone went so deep inside the game modes. Brilliant :)

In all this madness to define a proper time line, I think you skipped this ISS 98 for N64, but can easily excused, cause most people confuse it with ISSpro98 due to similar game covers.

After watching, still assume 1998 was a brilliant year developing wise. No matter if anyone likes gameplay of: fifa 98, fifa 98 rtwc, virtual striker, ISS 98 KCEO, ISS pro98 Kcet, the KONAMI RTWC versions, all games show that development teams did all their best efforts, given the year, and even if someone can like one game more and another less, you can't easily find a 1998 footy with major flaws, or halfarsed rushing. At least among EA sports, Konami studios and SEGA.

And just a less important detail. IMHO ISS98 is the best in N64 platform, among ISS64, ISS98 and ISS 2000. It just keeps the balance and heritage of 64 and snes versions, while freshing things thinks to a little bit more modern standards. While ISS2000 was more polished, but lost the balance with mechanics that were too modern for that era.

In 2000, It is like when the need for more simulation, results in less fun. ISS98 kept the balance between SiM/fun in better standards.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for the kind words, It was a lot of fun to make I'm just surprised there isn't already a comprehensive retrospective on the series like there are for other game franchises.

The PES games have such a fascinating and far from straight forward history, Surely football game fans would relish such a deep dive. Admitably it was difficult to research these games deeper other than the material at hand - The software. I looked for developer or personal interviews or anecdotes for the time period but it's none existent such as the covert nature of Konami's football games at the time. Things start opening up a little from a behind the scenes perspective during the PS2 era when Seabass becomes a front man for the team and then on the PS3 era when we get John Murphy as a liaison so that should give the next episodes a bit more flavour and background.

Amazing video.Really first time watching such a video, and someone went so deep inside the game modes. Brilliant :)

In all this madness to define a proper time line, I think you skipped this ISS 98 for N64, but can easily excused, cause most people confuse it with ISSpro98 due to similar game covers.

After watching, still assume 1998 was a brilliant year developing wise. No matter if anyone likes gameplay of: fifa 98, fifa 98 rtwc, virtual striker, ISS 98 KCEO, ISS pro98 Kcet, the KONAMI RTWC versions, all games show that development teams did all their best efforts, given the year, and even if someone can like one game more and another less, you can't easily find a 1998 footy with major flaws, or halfarsed rushing. At least among EA sports, Konami studios and SEGA.

And just a less important detail. IMHO ISS98 is the best in N64 platform, among ISS64, ISS98 and ISS 2000. It just keeps the balance and heritage of 64 and snes versions, while freshing things thinks to a little bit more modern standards. While ISS2000 was more polished, but lost the balance with mechanics that were too modern for that era.

In 2000, It is like when the need for more simulation, results in less fun. ISS98 kept the balance between SiM/fun in better standards.
Yes I did fight with myself about including ISS 98 N64 but I felt because I cover that year so much I thought it might be better to cut it for brevity sake, But you are right it was a pioneering year for football games in 1998 from all developers mostly because of the experience with the consoles by this point as well as the imagination captured by the World Cup of that year to truly write love letters to football in the form of the medium of gaming.

It felt like there truly was a mission statement, To prove that games don't just have to be forgettable distractions which make us say "Oh that's cute, they made little footballers out of polygons - ah back to reality anyway..." No they wanted to challenge people to be immersed and surprised by the drama of football as they recognise it in the broadcast and I think they accomplished that in '98.

Excellent stuff Mafia, thank you for some really good memories. For some reason your voice and style reminds me a little bit like Dion Dublin on Homes Under the Hammer. (That's a compliment by the way). Thanks again :)

So onto the final fixture of the group stages of the EURO's.

As the final fixture of the group stage is normally played at the same time. I was trying to combine both games and go from one highlight to another but I think it would have been too complicated. So instead I have decided to give you a choice of what match you want to watch with 'real time' goal updates from the other game.

Group A Table

A2.jpg

Italy v Wales (me), Italy need a win to make sure they qualify for the knock out stages. Wales are already through.

Switzerland (me) v Turkey, both teams will be wanting a win and hope that Italy lose so that they can get into 2nd place. Turkey will definitely want to avoid defeat so that they can at least finish 3rd and get a chance of being one of the four best 3rd placed teams.

Congrats to Wales and Italy who are through to the knock out stages, although it was looking a bit uncomfortable for Italy at 2-1 while Switzerland were winning but once Turkey equalised it was pretty much done and dusted. How can Bale claim that goal :LOL: brilliant 2nd though! Turkey will be hoping for a way through the back door.

Last edited:
After sifting through the goals from Fixture 2 of the group stage. Here are the top 10.

Take your pick...I know mine...Pavelkaaaaa!

Enjoy! :)

Here are the tables:-View attachment 91781View attachment 91782View attachment 91783View attachment 91784View attachment 91785View attachment 91786

Really good goals, Pavelka's long shot was the best for sure and I also liked Harry Kane's one.
#2 goal of Turkey, was that a manual assistance to the box ?

Even though Morrowind (first playthrough) is draining all my gaming time, I'm still playing my PES 2008 ML with Wycombe. Season 4 now in First Division and recently buy a regenered Adebayo Akinfenwa, the team´s emblem player. Is hilarious how no-sporty looks that guy in the field. :DD
Great OF ! :APPLAUD:

Really good goals, Pavelka's long shot was the best for sure and I also liked Harry Kane's one.
#2 goal of Turkey, was that a manual assistance to the box ?

Even though Morrowind (first playthrough) is draining all my gaming time, I'm still playing my PES 2008 ML with Wycombe. Season 4 now in First Division and recently buy a regenered Adebayo Akinfenwa, the team´s emblem player. Is hilarious how no-sporty looks that guy in the field. :DD
Great OF ! :APPLAUD:

I liked Kane’s goal too, Rashford set him up nicely. What is good is that is the CPU playing. That Turkey goal was actually a mishit shot which went across the box which turned into a nice pass. Bale used that ‘trick’ in the video above but his one deflected in and he claimed it even though it was going out for a throw in :LOL:

If you go into Settings and Controls, you can actually set up manual long passing.

I am pleased that you are still enjoying it, it is so underrated. Let us know how Akinfenwa gets on in your team. Also don’t forget there is an update to the file (the link to the thread is in my ‘signature’) It won’t ruin your ML because the changes are only appearances etc... (Unless of course you made your own changes like over writing players before you started your ML). :)

I liked Kane’s goal too, Rashford set him up nicely. What is good is that is the CPU playing. That Turkey goal was actually a mishit shot which went across the box which turned into a nice pass. Bale used that ‘trick’ in the video above but his one deflected in and he claimed it even though it was going out for a throw in :LOL:

If you go into Settings and Controls, you can actually set up manual long passing.

I am pleased that you are still enjoying it, it is so underrated. Let us know how Akinfenwa gets on in your team. Also don’t forget there is an update to the file (the link to the thread is in my ‘signature’) It won’t ruin your ML because the changes are only appearances etc... (Unless of course you made your own changes like over writing players before you started your ML). :)

Yeah man, it´s such a shame not having this great version of the game in PC, but at least it exist.

About the manual short/long passing I'm aware of it existence but never implemented in my games. It surely makes the CPU reacts different and generates new situations in the pitch just like using R2 and manually move your player for defense and attack. Will train that and see what happens.

Finally, I know about your regular updates of the OF so I'm playing with the last version. :TU:

Back
Top Bottom