The Retro-PES Corner

Yeah man, it´s such a shame not having this great version of the game in PC, but at least it exist.

About the manual short/long passing I'm aware of it existence but never implemented in my games. It surely makes the CPU reacts different and generates new situations in the pitch just like using R2 and manually move your player for defense and attack. Will train that and see what happens.

Finally, I know about your regular updates of the OF so I'm playing with the last version. :TU:

Yeh too right, personally I think it is worth buying a PS2 just to play it. Not sure how much they are now but still worth it compared to buying new PES and FIFA.

I think the manual passing is only for long passing, it is great for crosses. I actually turned it off during my ML because I was going through a bad patch and struggling using it, I may go back to it though.

How do you find the difficulty? I am finding it really hard against the CPU in my EUROs. It may be because I use the formation that the team uses and not my preferred one. It's making for a brilliant time though. :)

So Group B Fixture 3,

Finland v Belgium (me)
Russia (me) v Denmark

Here is the table:

B2.jpg

Belgium are already through unless some hammering comes their way and Russia win comfortably.
Finland would like a win rather than a draw against Belgium to qualify.
Russia could make it into 2nd place but will need a 5 goal turn around. Realistically though it is a shoot out between them and Denmark for 3rd place and hope to qualify that way. Goal difference is very much in Denmark's favour so a win would be enough for them to finish 3rd.

Both matches are separate but with goal updates of the other match during the game.

Take your pick...(personally i would go for the Russia v Denmark match ;) )

Finland v Belgium

Russia v Denmark

A retrospective/mini documentary on the history and evolution of Pro Evolution Soccer. In Episode 1, We explore it's humble beginnings on the NES & SNES to it's rise as the greatest football game ever on the PlayStation.

Marlon, I just wanted to say how great this video was. Not only was it entertaining, it's really useful — the time flew by!

Decent enough video. Expresses some pretty common views, ones that many - including myself - share! PES is still feeling the effects of PES 2008, in terms of reputation but the problem has evolved so much since then. It's a completely new playing field to what it was in 2007.

Both matches are separate but with goal updates of the other match during the game.

Take your pick...(personally i would go for the Russia v Denmark match ;) )

Nice cutaway to the Finland game :) What video software do you use for those?

I found a good video , It has very few views but it deserves more
Decent enough video. Expresses some pretty common views, ones that many - including myself - share! PES is still feeling the effects of PES 2008, in terms of reputation but the problem has evolved so much since then. It's a completely new playing field to what it was in 2007.

Hearing the comments about the PS3 version of 2008 really really pains me and really annoys me :BRICK:It is like poison to the reputation of the classic PS2 version.

Nice cutaway to the Finland game :) What video software do you use for those?

Thanks matt, i use iMovie and Keynote. It takes time though. Even working out what the table is when someone scores. I keep forgetting that although a team may start off on 0 points, during the game they actually have 1 point if they are drawing. Simple maths but i keep forgetting :LOL:

Hearing the comments about the PS3 version of 2008 really really pains me and really annoys me :BRICK:It is like poison to the reputation of the classic PS2 version.

It's really unfortunate that the PS3 version is - to the lay community - the definitive version of the game. The greatness of the PS2 version was overshadowed by the unfolding drama on the PS3 as EA grabbed the baton.

To think I traded the PS2 version in for the Xbox 360 version 🤔
I was expecting a similar jump up that the PS1 to PS2 experienced. Not the case at all.

Marlon, I just wanted to say how great this video was. Not only was it entertaining, it's really useful — the time flew by!
Great video Marlon. Eagerly awaiting episode 2
Thank you gents, it was a pleasure to make, a little rough around the edges as it's my first attempt at a documentary style video so my planning was all over the place, but I'll be a lot more organised for the PS2 era video, I'm really looking forward to that one as that was my prime era and there's lots of trivia and details across that whole era so it'll certainly be a longer video to say the least. I'm up for the challenge.
It's really unfortunate that the PS3 version is - to the lay community - the definitive version of the game. The greatness of the PS2 version was overshadowed by the unfolding drama on the PS3 as EA grabbed the baton.
Yes it's ironic how "Newer" doesn't nessacarily mean greater in this sense especially as far as resource and technology goes with 2008. The next gen version isn't awful by any means though its framerate on console was poor & the lack of OF support also hurts the series in this early period.

But I think If 2008 remained current gen on PC then this would replace PES 6 on the PC as the retro modding comminuty's editing darling.

But I think If 2008 remained current gen on PC then this would replace PES 6 on the PC as the retro modding comminuty's editing darling.

I think you are spot on with that. The irony being in later 'generations' the PC was left with the lesser version. Maybe I'm biased being a PC player but I do think a lot of modern games would be better if they were written for PC and then ported to consoles instead.

I think you are spot on with that. The irony being in later 'generations' the PC was left with the lesser version. Maybe I'm biased being a PC player but I do think a lot of modern games would be better if they were written for PC and then ported to consoles instead.
I thibk a lot of PC games are at least developed with PC framework in mind first & ported but released simultaneously across platforms but the thing with PES before the fox engine, The optimisation for PC versions was a thing beauty.

Their games always looked and ran flawlessly at maximum settings on PC, which is more than you could say for some PC ports of other games until they get patches and the hardware becomes better.

But I understand why Konami wanted to be Port the modern version of PES 2008 to PC. The irony is also that the excellent PES 2017 is a downgrade on PC whereas the next gen visuals are reserved for console only. Just one year shy of the less popular 2018.

So I think like PES 6, If PES 2017 was identical to the PS4 version then this would be the popular consensus of modern PES to be modded primarily on PC it's such an all round great game. There's no such thing as the perfect PES game but as far as Fox goes, I think PES 2017 was the magnus opus in terms of gameplay, responsiveness, player positioning, scarily innovative AI & visuals.

I can't keep doing this to myself by talking about it because it both hurts and makes me so angry 😂.

Yes it's ironic how "Newer" doesn't nessacarily mean greater in this sense especially as far as resource and technology goes with 2008. The next gen version isn't awful by any means though its framerate on console was poor & the lack of OF support also hurts the series in this early period.

Yeah. I mean, I don't think ISSPE2 was bettered until PES3. I'm not sure PES or PES2 are much more sophisticated than ISSPE2 on the pitch, if at all. Perhaps sideways steps. But they represented a whopping upgrade, visually, and carried over the essence of what made ISSPE2 great.

When I see gameplay clips from PC I realise now that framerate did play a major part in it looking and feeling shite on PS3. And the lack of 'portable' edits - the killer. And FIFA becoming good - the undertaker.

Even if PES 2008 had been decent on PS3, like having the PS2 gameplay with nicer graphics, I'm still not sure it would have been enough to compete against FIFA at the time. That 'next-gen' FIFA 08-10 really was pushing the envelope of what football games could do and looked to be making big progress with each iteration.

Manual controls seems like a simple thing for a modern football game to have, but it took Konami 4 more years to catch up in implementing them into PES, 360 degree movement 2 more years, they still haven't matched FIFA 12's "impact engine" etc. They also failed in offering proper co-op or team play online modes, to the extent they still don't even offer an equivalent to Pro Clubs twelve years after it came to FIFA. Online became huge in those years and Konami completely missed the boat.

By the time they got back around to making decent games again (2011-2013), FIFA had become too popular and lucrative for PES to ever really stand a chance at competing with it again.

It was more than just bad execution of PES 2008 that cost them - the series completely lacked any ambition or innovation for years, arguably the entire intervening period. Basically all they've done since is ride EA's coattails by implementing the same stuff years later and prioritised the same kind of moneymaking card collecting mode. Master League Online being the exception, a fantastic mode with great ideas, but quickly scrapped for the far shittier but more profitable MyClub.

Some years it's been the less bad game on the pitch, especially recently, but to me that is more down to EA going fully down the esports route earlier. Going by the "eFootball" name change and marketing the last couple of years, Konami seem to be copying this philosophy but are lagging behind in completely ruining the gameplay to suit it.

Even if PES 2008 had been decent on PS3, like having the PS2 gameplay with nicer graphics, I'm still not sure it would have been enough to compete against FIFA at the time. That 'next-gen' FIFA 08-10 really was pushing the envelope of what football games could do and looked to be making big progress with each iteration.

Manual controls seems like a simple thing for a modern football game to have, but it took Konami 4 more years to catch up in implementing them into PES, 360 degree movement 2 more years, they still haven't matched FIFA 12's "impact engine" etc. They also failed in offering proper co-op or team play online modes, to the extent they still don't even offer an equivalent to Pro Clubs twelve years after it came to FIFA. Online became huge in those years and Konami completely missed the boat.

By the time they got back around to making decent games again (2011-2013), FIFA had become too popular and lucrative for PES to ever really stand a chance at competing with it again.

It was more than just bad execution of PES 2008 that cost them - the series completely lacked any ambition or innovation for years, arguably the entire intervening period. Basically all they've done since is ride EA's coattails by implementing the same stuff years later and prioritised the same kind of moneymaking card collecting mode. Master League Online being the exception, a fantastic mode with great ideas, but quickly scrapped for the far shittier but more profitable MyClub.

Some years it's been the less bad game on the pitch, especially recently, but to me that is more down to EA going fully down the esports route earlier. Going by the "eFootball" name change and marketing the last couple of years, Konami seem to be copying this philosophy but are lagging behind in completely ruining the gameplay to suit it.

You, sir, have nailed it.

I don't think those early PS3 FIFAs get enough credit. Once I got over myself and my blind loyalty to PES, and bought FIFA 09, I was blown away. That was a developer who paid attention and not just imitated but innovated. Sadly, because of FUT, all incentive to continue that has gone. Even sadder still, because of FUT, Konami will settle for anything to get a piece of that enormous pie.

Anyone here likes making kits on pes? I love doing that stuff 😂 i sit there for hours creating concept kits I enjoy it
Oh, I used to like it a lot back in the day but I always did kits by designing them on a blank texture and then importing them into Kitserver. I hardly used the ingame editor but from what I remember it was pretty fun.

Good old days...

I started making a retrospective/history of PES series beginning with NES to PS1. It's not a review series but rather an overview of the release order of the games and their evolution or areas they improved in. It's not super duper detailed by any means but was a lot of fun putting together and I felt as there wasn't one on YouTube that actually explains any of this stuff (It's usually just raw clips spliced together of the games with no context) maybe I should bother to make one.
Mate I watched the video fully and it's just great.
Can't wait to see the 2nd episode.
A long shot... Are you maybe thinking about releasing a downloadable version of it? I'd love to save it and keep it forever. 😄

By the way, I know it's already been said but... Between ISS 64 and ISS 2000 for N64 there was ISS 98 which was a great game too. 😊

How do you find the difficulty? I am finding it really hard against the CPU in my EUROs. It may be because I use the formation that the team uses and not my preferred one. It's making for a brilliant time though. :)

I've only started one ML with Defaults but it took me three seasons to get promoted with the first two being a real struggle. Now they have developed their stats and I bought some players but I have not played against the best english teams yet. I´m playing in the highest difficulty and to keep up the challenge I will not buy players with high stats and sell those who become too good (like El Moubarki). :CONF:

But hey, the game feels really nice and those Euro videos of yours already make me want to play some national cups and get to know some players who will be in Qatar 2022. Every time I play against Pukki he scores, I should buy that guy. :))

Every time I play against Pukki he scores, I should buy that guy. :))

:LOL: I was thinking the same thing. Every time i play against Norwich he is so lethal and now he is doing it against me for Finland. Another player that always does well is A. Cornelius for Denmark.

I so much wanted this to go in from him...

Hello everyone, I would be really happy if you could help me..

I'm playing PES6 Korean Patch
Every time I open a Master League/League in the Korean Patch and enter the "Calendar" (And selects some random game in the game board) - The game broken and crash!!
Can something guide me what to do and how to solve the problem? This is a game I really want to run fast forward in ML...

Every time I open a Master League/League in the Korean Patch and enter the "Calendar" (And selects some random game in the game board) - The game broken and crash!!
Can something guide me what to do and how to solve the problem? This is a game I really want to run fast forward in ML...
Pick a different patch. A lot of patches have weird bugs that not even their authors may understand how and why and what happened

Anybody here knows how to relink PS2 kits? I watch some youtube tuts in languages I don't speak and I find it confusing

Pick a different patch. A lot of patches have weird bugs that not even their authors may understand how and why and what happened

Anybody here knows how to relink PS2 kits? I watch some youtube tuts in languages I don't speak and I find it confusing
bro I worked on this Patch Thousands of hours...
I can't to give it up 😕

Retro retro PES...

I so wanted the Pathe news man to start speaking over that.

Couple of things you could try...

In the kitserver folder rename the DAT folder (just put an x in front of the name or something) Start the game, don't worry about how it looks if some graphics seem different because some of the changes are probably in those DAT folders that kitserver now isn't reading because it's been renamed. Try to go to the calendar and see if the game crashes. If it doesn't then we've narrowed it down to a file in the DAT folders.

If it does still crash then uninstall kitserver and run the game and see if it crashes now or not.

Make sure you test the DAT folder first otherwise that won't be tested separately.

Hopefully one of those two will stop the crash then it's something that can be tracked down.

If changing the DAT folder name stopped the crash then rename it to DAT, open it and change the name of the folders inside one at time (just add the x at the front of the name or something). After you change each one run the game and see if it crashes. This way you can find out which folder is causing it if it stops crashing when one folder in particular is renamed.

If you get to that stage then rename the problem folder, open it and move all the files out and the put them back a few at a time (or one at a time if there's only a few) and restart the game each time.

Last edited:

In the kitserver folder rename the DAT folder (just put an x in front of the name or something) Start the game, don't worry about how it looks if some graphics seem different because some of the changes are probably in those DAT folders that kitserver now isn't reading because it's been renamed. Try to go to the calendar and see if the game crashes. If it doesn't then we've narrowed it down to a file in the DAT folders.

If it does still crash then uninstall kitserver and run the game and see if it crashes now or not.

Make sure you test the DAT folder first otherwise that won't be tested separately.

Hopefully one of those two will stop the crash then it's something that can be tracked down.

If changing the DAT folder name stopped the crash then rename it to DAT, open it and change the name of the folders inside one at time (just add the x at the front of the name or something). After you change each one run the game and see if it crashes. This way you can find out which folder is causing it if it stops crashing when one folder in particular is renamed.

If you get to that stage then rename the problem folder, open it and move all the files out and the put them back a few at a time (or one at a time if there's only a few) and restart the game each time.

For a very, very, VERY brief moment I thought about it! I reckon I could pull off the voice, but certainly not the vocabulary of the time.

Retro retro PES...

Cool stuff, these old World Cup patches are amazing, it is like a time machine. The World Cup 1930 and 1934 patches I have downloaded and installed a few weeks ago and have them on my list of patches to play that is very long with all the great work being released, when I finished my World Cup 1966 save I will play them next I think.

Cool stuff, these old World Cup patches are amazing, it is like a time machine. The World Cup 1930 and 1934 patches I have downloaded and installed a few weeks ago and have them on my list of patches to play that is very long with all the great work being released, when I finished my World Cup 1966 save I will play them next I think.

They are superb. Great attention to detail and a window into a different era.

Group C Fixture 3

Ukraine v Austria (me)
Serbia (me) v Netherlands

C2.jpg

There were a few changes in the table during the matches. Who will get top 2? will Austria make up the 6 goal margin on Serbia and try to qualify in 3rd place?

Take your pick, goal updates in each match :)

Ukraine v Austria

Serbia v Netherlands

can't wait
I Update U Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom