The Rum Diaries

joostebrood

Premiership
4 March 2002
I'm looking forward to this one, it's in pre-production for 2 years now. It's with the same leading actors as Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas (Johnny Depp and Benicio Del Torro) I think it's even based on a book written by the same writer as Fear & Loathing.

Anyone heard about this one?

Excellent, I hadn't heard about this. Found this plot summary:

Begun in 1959 by a then-twenty-two-year-old Hunter S. Thompson, The Rum Diary is a brilliantly tangled love story of jealousy, treachery and violent alcoholic lust in the Caribbean boomtown that was San Juan, Puerto Rico, in the late 1950s.

Johnny Depp's performance in Fear and Loathing is remarkable. I think I might have to check out the book.

Haha, it's genius, it has made me feel very anxious at times though. American pleb Josh Hartnettttt has been confirmed for the Rum Diary. Del Torro is another fine actor.

wait a second, you noobs dont know who hunter s thompson is... he is the central chacter and author of all of these books and movies(soon to be).... joost im surprised at you, i read the rum diaries and fear and loathing, hunter s thompson is an american genius

Hewwwy, I didn't say I didn't know him, I just haven't read his books yet. I know a little about the Gonzo journalism during that era. I heard Thompson thought the movie was funny, but he felt it wasn't very realistic (the amounts of drugs and stuff). Gonzo journalists were meant to go for a story and go unprepared, on drugs (or something like that). So they would find out about the story from another perspective.

Sounds great

joostebrood said:
Fear And Loathing was such a great movie. I have never laughed so hard.

One of my favourite movies of this genre.

Heres some of the great quotes from the movie

Dr. Gonzo: You drive. You drive. I think there's something wrong with me

Raoul Duke: Look, there's two women fucking a polar bear

Raoul Duke: A drug person can learn to handle such things as seeing their dead grandmother crawling up their leg with a knife in her teeth. But no one should be asked to deal with this trip

Raoul Duke: What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country

Raoul Duke: No more of that talk or I'll put the fucking leeches on you, understand

I'm looking forward to this one, it's in pre-production for 2 years now. It's with the same leading actors as Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas (Johnny Depp and Benicio Del Torro) I think it's even based on a book written by the same writer as Fear & Loathing.

Anyone heard about this one?

It got 6.2 on IMDB. Not bad, I suppose...

Back
Top Bottom