The Sopranos

Dominic

Serie A
19 August 2003
Netherlands
Best serie ever.
Just watched season 5 on dvd, have to say it was a little dissapointing. The neglecting of certain main characters was a bad choise. They should've stuck to the basics. Season 1 is still the best, though it's a common thing in series(that the first is the best).

Anyone else a fan of the show, just as I am? discuss.

I haven't seen this show, but i'm a huge Godfather fan (like yourself judging by your avatar ;) ), so i'm thinking of having a look. Is the first series still for sale?

yeah you can pick it up for about £20 now, although iys nothing like the Godfather! I was completly disapointed with series five! The dream episode and things like that, it just didnt seem Soprano's like!

I thought season 5 was great. To me it seems like a build-up to the finale in season 6. Although I agree with the dream episode, it was too much and too long. Episode 12 was amazing on the other hand. I can't decide what my favorite season is. I really like the interaction between Tony and Johnny Sacks in season 5.

Yeah, in retrospective I do agree. Shortly after creating this thread I rewatched the 5th series, and discovered that season 5 was very good. It was disspointing at first watch, due to my expectations being too high. It does seem like a build-up to season 6, with all the characters being put into place for the last season.

Favourite episode of season 5, i'd have to say episode 10 'cold cuts'. Those Christopher feelling rejected scenes are great, but especially the last scene of that episode (Tony challenging his sister) is what makes it my favourite episode of that season.

Also having rewatched the dream episode, it's got a lot of neat little details that do make it worth it. Also you'll realise the dream was meant to be about more than just 'wacking' Tony B, but more about Tony S himself.

Last edited:
It's funny, a lot of my friends said the exact same thing about season 5. But after watching it again, they have to take back their words. I think it's due to the expectation thing, which says a lot about the quality of the show. I'm looking forward to season 6 more than I've ever looked forward to something on tv.

Yeah, I fully agree. The new season starts in March in America...
It'll be a long wait for the release of the DVD over here.

So any favourite character, besides Tony?

Don, I think Chris is my favorite character, followed by Johnny Sacks. Sil is also very nice, such a loyal guy.

This of course without considering Tony. James Gandolfini does an amazing job. It's actually credible.

Personally, I liked Pussy a lot. The episodes, focussing on Pussy, where among the best.

I like Silvio too, though Silvio's loyalty might be among the storylines for the next season. There have been moments between Tony and Silvio that makes you wonder, little glances or shakings of the head in the background(mainly in season 5). Not the mention their disagreement in final episode of season 5; The discussion about Tony 'being lonely' at the top and Silvio leaving the room defeated. In some episode, I think in season 4 was, you see I think Little Paulie and Eugene(?) talking about if someone would pull the plug on Tony, it would be Silvio.

Besides that, how can anyone not love Paulie :D

Come to think of it, all the characters are great. Another reason, why the series is so good.

I love the soprano's,checking out now the S6:)
nr 1 fav. character remains Tony soprano it self:)

Wow, really digging up an old thread here.

I've just watched all six seasons of The Sopranos from start to finish. I started watching the Sopranos when it first released in the US but lost track of it from Season 3 due to moving house etc. So, I thought I'd start from the beginning.

It is an absolute masterpiece, and one of my favourite shows of all time. Great directing, great storytelling, fantastic acting, great soundtrack, and superb cameo performances from Steve Buscemi and Daniel Baldwin. It really does have everything. I have watched the ending a few times now and still I find myself picking it apart to find clues as to what is going to happen. Even the lyrics to the song played at the end drop a few obvious clues.

I'm in two minds as to whether they should pursue a Sopranos film to tie up a few loose ends and reveal what really happened. However, I like the fact that they left it as a cliffhanger, it's much more gutsy and memorable. I felt the X Files suffered because of the films, and I would hate to think that another show went down that avenue.

Anyone who is unsure about whether to start watching The Sopranos, take it from me it is one of the greatest shows ever created and you will not be disappointed.

I've meant to start watching it for a long time, I'll have to get around to it at some point.

This may well inspire me to do it this week, so thank you in advance if I do. ;)

Honestly, it's fantastic. There's so many depths to it aswell, with the music and the imagery. I missed all that the first time I watched it.

I watched it all myself previously, but the wife and I just started watching Brotherhood (well nearly finished, at 304 or something) and she really likes it so I said we should try The Sopranos next, didn't think it'd be her cup of tea but seems so :)

I have the complete series on DVD, will watch it this autumn.
I have also the six series of the Shield to watch. Lots catching up...

Other great series:

The Wire (the best ever)
Deadwood

Lucky you Gerd mate, I would love to see this, but kinda grudge spending god knows how much on it.

I did try alternative routes, but looks like the first series kinda knocked that on the head.

FD

Back
Top Bottom