Tottenham Thread

I’m one of the lads in this bar in Amsterdam last night.

Probably best not to say which one :D

I’m a broken man. What a game.
Love these bt videos

This said, reaching the final of the CL can't conceil the problems the Spurs squad has.
Trippier stopped believing the hype around him and is well aware that he is a very mediocre defender with exceptional crossing abilities. IMHO he is not good enough for Spurs.

Danny Rose: big heart, great drive forward, can't cross to save his life and a bad defender. After his injury he is a shadow of the player he once was (and if he wouldn't have been injured, he would play for Man Utd now).

So we need two SB's becauise Aurier is an accident waiting to happen. Davies is the only decent one IMO, he is also very versatile because he is a rahter good CB.

You can't deny that Sissoko has progressed with giant leaps, but his passing is bad, his finishing is ctastrophical. He is a very poor men's Dembele (how much do we miss him and what a shame he misses this wonderful CL adventure).

Dier: not good enough.

Wanyama: finished after his injury.

Conclusion we need 2 SB's and at least 2 CMF's (Winks is very good, very underrated).

Perhaps also a back-up striker and a back-up for Eriksen (and what if Eriksen goes).

Ideally we should also buy another CB because Alderweireld-Vertonghen (the best pais of CB's in the world IMO) aren't getting any younger…

We surely can do with the 92 million from the CL...

Totally agree about the assessment of all the players you’ve made there to be honest.

Danny Rose mind you, I think was one of our best players over the two Ajax games. But he holds onto the ball for too long and loses it in dangerous areas. Still, while definitely an area we can improve on, LB wouldn’t be the highest on my list.

I don’t understand how pundits still think Eriksen is class every game. He’s not performed well for months now. Certainly a quality player, but has been horribly inconsistent. Don’t get me wrong, I’d be over the moon if we keep him, however, if Madrid want to pay over the odds for him I’d take it.

In this years CL both Dortmund games are the only ones In which we’ve played well for the full 90mins. I’m praying we’ve saved our best for last, because conceding a goal in less than 10mins of every single game is killing me, and if we do that against Liverpool.... god it’ll be hard to overcome.

What do you guys think of Dele Alli? I'm not a huge fan of Eriksen (his recent form anyway, he's playing like he doesn't want to be there any more - and even his on-field interview after the incredible comeback against Ajax, he was just dead-eyed and emotionless compared to everyone else)...

...but when Tottenham played Tranmere in the cup, I was there, and Alli stood out as the one player who wasn't world-class. His first touch was rough, and his contribution (IMO) was fairly simple passing and skill-moves that sent him into dead-ends. Every time he got the ball, the block of supporters I was sat in would breathe a sigh of relief.

Just wondered what the fans think!

I’m a big fan of Alli, but he plays behind the striker, not a deep midfielder like he’s had to play sometimes.

He’s not always great, but his movement is top notch, and he’s unpredictable. Only have to look at games like Chelsea and Madrid to see how well he can play. Numbers wise he’s actually had a much better year than I realised.

Him and Kane also compliment each other really well.

I can see why some people aren’t fans, but I think we’d struggle to replace him more than we would Eriksen.

Alli has had a fairly indifferent season. There are rumous he's injured for quite some monthsz (not his arm).
Alli is at his best paired with Kane and very close to Kane as some sort of 9,5. The last weeks he has barely played in that role.
But despite all that, imo he is class and still very young. And above all: a big match player. He was very decisiove against Ajax for example…

About Eriksen: he is knackered, that is Obvious. I hope he stays, but i doubt it.

sorry for the double post, but i want to reach as many fans as possible! :)

Tottenham-Hotspur-vs-FC-Liverpool-658x370-e8ce8f7e0dcee44f.jpg

for all you people without a sport channel membership... BTsport is showing the CL-Finale for free at their youtube channel:
"But there's more. There will be also be a free 4K Champions League stream (and SD/HD) on the BT Sport YouTube channel. So anyone with an internet connection can watch the final for free."
https://www.youtube.com/user/BTSportOfficial

enjoy!!

Last edited:
I hope Pocch gets back up by Enic and that Spurs can buy some quality players. Two cmf’s and at least one right side back, Trippier was abysmal in the final.

Last edited:
Gutted but proud of the team and the manager for the fantastic journey.

Last edited:
Wouldn't mind a Liverpool - Tottenham final in the CL either

I didnt mind that at all.

I was quite confident after the semis that Liverpool would beat anybody in the final, can't say I had the same confidence during the entire game though, things got hairy quite a few times. A different approach to this game from Liverpool after the goal because it was all about that elusive first cup in bloody ages.

I hope to see Tottenham in the top fight going forward, I would rather then there over the the two Mancs or Chelsea any day.
Still, preferably below Liverpool:D

We've also been linked with Lo Celso from Betis Sevilla, and with Ryan Sessegnon.
In all three cases Spurs have made offers, but the they were far too low compared to what the asking prize from the 3 other concerned clubs was.

(To the tune of The Lions Sleeps Tonight)

We are Tottenham
The mighty Tottenham
Our midfield's dynamite

We've got Tanguy
The mighty Tanguy
He thinks Arsenal's shite

Ndombele Ndombele Ndombele Ndombele
Ndombele Ndombele Ndombele Ndombele
Ndombele Ndombele

Weeheeeeeeeeeeeeee, dee heeheeheehee, dee Tanguy Ndombeleeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Oh my god. Every time we play Man City is is nerve destroying.

VAR front and centre again.

Madness.

If somebody would have told me beforehand that we would have drawn against Arsenal, i would gladly have taken that. Now it feels like a defeat, after having been 0-2 up. Once our defense was the best in the EPL. Once our full backs were the best in the league.

Danny Rose is a shadow of his former self after his injury (same for Victor Wayama who was immense for one season and then got injured). I'm a big fan of Jan Vertonghen, but yesterday, he didn't play his best match. Perhaps because it was his first match this season and he wanted to prove himself too much?

It's early days and Ndombele was injured, but we still miss Moussa Dembele big time, he was our most important player. More than any other. If our four defenders play a bad match (because both Toby and Sanchez were not good either), then maybe they lack protection from the midfield.

Spurs fans sudenly love Sissoko, but to me he's not good enough for the new ambitious Spurs we claim to be. And why did Pocch not play Lucas Moura? He is a player that needs space, against teams like Arsenal (and even more when you are 0-2 up) you get lots of space. Lamela is not good enoug and is Always a sending off waiting to happen.

And finally, why do i Always have the impression Arsenal want it more than our player...if you watched Guendouzi yesterday, he never stopped running an trying (not that he is a world beater).

We should have won against htis Arsenal side, who still makes lots of defensive errors, but we also made them yesterday.

I'm not gonna talk about the penalty cases...look at my post in the VAR thread. And both Alli and Kane like a dive.

Reactions: OBH
I’ve had to delete by twitter because I am absolutely sick of talking to spurs fans on there. Honestly, I don’t think I’ve ever been so angry.

6 weeks ago they’re shouting for Levy to empty his pockets to ‘back the manager’. Now those same people are saying they’ve lost faith with Poch.

The clowns who thought that somehow Eriksen had betrayed us, despite not saying one bad word about the club, and insisting that he has to leave are now worshipping the ground he walks on.

Jan Vertonghen, a player that I love, hadn’t started the first few games. Fine, that’s the managers decision. Yet our fans are saying ‘no, you play the best players every game’. That’s nonsense!! Try telling Alex Ferguson that he was wrong to drop players who crossed him. You don’t play the best players, you play the RIGHT players. Poch is the one who see’s them in training, so he knows who the right players are.

Honestly, I don’t know when the fans became so self entitled, but I can’t stand it. Yes, we’ve not started the season in great form, but we got a point away at both Man City and Arsenal, and we are certainly not famed for our form away against these teams (Arsenal is, what, a couple of wins in 26 years?!).

I wanted to win as much as the next fan, but it’s hardly all doom and gloom. Take the point, and move one.

Danny Rose is a shadow of his former self after his injury (same for Victor Wayama who was immense for one season and then got injured). I'm a big fan of Jan Vertonghen, but yesterday, he didn't play his best match. Perhaps because it was his first match this season and he wanted to prove himself too much?

Spurs fans sudenly love Sissoko, but to me he's not good enough for the new ambitious Spurs we claim to be. And why did Pocch not play Lucas Moura? He is a player that needs space, against teams like Arsenal (and even more when you are 0-2 up) you get lots of space. Lamela is not good enoug and is Always a sending off waiting to happen.

And finally, why do i Always have the impression Arsenal want it more than our player...if you watched Guendouzi yesterday, he never stopped running an trying (not that he is a world beater).

Guendouzi Basically had all the space in the world because at times it was their entire midfield vs just Harry Winks. Sissoko was helping Sanchez, and Eriksen wasn’t defending so it left Winks completely isolated. Made Guendouzi look better than he is.

I feel Lamela gets some unfair stick. Yes, he’s injured a lot, is rash, and doesn’t always perform, but he’s absolutely been our best player in the first 4 games. 2 goals and 2 assists I think? Created more chances than anyone. There is a good player in there, and while he’s fit and determined to show I say keep playing him.

And Rose, mate, I got absolutely battered for daring to say that everyone loves Rose because of who he is as a man, not for his footballing ability. We’re so blinded it’s embarrassing; Eriksen is a villain for saying he ‘wants a new challenge’ but Rose says he wants to leave nearly every year and fans still love him cos he’s honest!? A few fans even threatened to give back their season ticket if we sold him! Face it - he’s not the player he was in 2016.

yeah man, one of these who always stay till the end of the game, not leaving at '75 and one of these who never yell at team. Danny Rose is a legend if you don't agree then move to Woolwich

I absolutely get behind the team, every time, but I'm also a realist.

Fans angry that we didn't spend 300m, or claiming our season is over after 4 games despite drawing away at City & Arsenal, two stadiums we have an appalling record at, those fans, my god they drive me insane.

Partying in Amsterdam was one of the best nights supporting Spurs of my life, yet if another fan on Twitter tells me that 'it doesn't matter because we never won the trophy' I'm gonna throw my pc out the window.

There were fans saying Pock should get sacked if he didn't start Jan against Arsenal.... really? The man who is one trophy away from being our best modern manager in every possible way should be sacked for not playing one player? It's madness.

oh dear, 2-7. That looks bad.
I haven't seen the match, but i heard that Spurs were very good in the first half, but once again we concede a goal just before halftime (just like against Olympiakos and Arsenal, 3 times is a lot, it becomes some sort of jinx).

In the second half Bayern were clever and clinical and we have a result that in itself isn't dramatic (0-1 or 2-7, 3 points lost) but could be important because once again there is an air of crisis round the club.

When i read the fans reaction can't really believe what i'm saying. Once again Arsenal seems to be the benchmark: they lost twice at home against Bayern and the yare the real losers because the let Gnabry go. WTF?

What is it with these people? The moment we stop being obsessed with Arsenal, then Spurs will become real winners.

Apparently the dressing room is divided as jan vertoghen was caught with eriksen's wife...

That story is fake news. Both Eriksen and Vertonghen have denied it and the club has published pictures of training sessions where Jan and Eriksen are joking with each other to prove that it isn't true.

What happened saturday is a combination of a team that is uncertain after a 2-7 defeat (where they were very, very good in the first half) and a disatrous start of the match in Brighton.

First there was Lloris' howler and then his horror injury. I watched the match and saw that the players were horrified by it. This resulted in the worst Spurs performance in years…

And now fans are hystrical, suddenly Vertonghen and Alderweireld need to leave immediately, they are not good enough. You read bullshit like: Lewis Dunk prevented Kane from scoring, conclusion: he is better than Jan and Toby. That is nonsense, imo Kane is having a bad season until now, but he is untouchable. I would give Kane a rest and play with Son and Lucas upfront.

This will be a difficult transitional season, we need new players, but we don't need the panic and the hysterical reactions i can read now.

Last edited:
That story is fake news. Both Eriksen and Vertonghen have denied it and the club has published pictures of training sessions where Jan and Eriksen are joking with each other to prove that it isn't true.

What happened saturday is a combination of a team that is uncertain after a 2-7 defeat (where they were very, very good in the first half) and a disatrous start of the match in Brighton.

First there was Lloris' howler and then his horror injury. I watched the match and saw that the players were horrified by it. This resulted in the worst Spurs performance in years…

And now fans are hystrical, suddenly Vertonghen and Alderweireld need to leave immediately, they are not good enough. You read bullshit like: Lewis Dunk prevented Kane from scoring, conclusion: he is better than Jan and Toby. That is nonsense, imo Kane is having a bad season until now, but je is untouchable. I would give Kane a rest and play with Son and Lucas upfront.

This will be a difficult transitional season, we need new players, but we don't need the panic and the hysterical reactions i can read now.
I kinda like spurs and pochettino so hopefully all turns out well for u guys.

Thanks, that is nice. And to say that most Spurs fans hate Liverpool and even more their fans since the match at Anfield with all the goals in the last minute (Kane missed penalty, Salah goal and Kane penlaty that was scored, also the match with the beautiful Wanyama goal).

People who went to Madrid for the CL final were pleasantly surprised by the Liverpool fans, they had much sympathy for Spurs and after the match there was no gloating.

To be honest as a Belgian Spurs fan (and i really care), i don't understand English fans. Because i'm a Spurs fan, i'm supposed to hate Arsenal, Chelsea, West Ham and Liverpool. Why would i? Because they are supposedly rivals? Arsenal for something that happened more than 100 years ago? That is stupid.

Anyway, that was nice, thanks! I always liked Liverpool and i hope you win the league this time.

Nobody is waiting for it, but here is my totally unquallified analysis of what is wrong with Spurs.

When did we play our last really good match? I think that must more or less coïncide with Dembele still being there. Despite the fact that Levy finally spend some money, we still haven't invested enough in the squad. There was euphoria when we had Ndombele, but he is not the same kind of player as Dembele. Ndombele is better offensively and he will always have better stats (goals and assists) than Dembele, but Moussa was essential for the football Pocch wants to play. IMO Dembele was the glue that held the team together, our real star player (imo Kane is good, but not as good as Spurs fans think, he should never have started in the CL final for instance).

When did we start loosing so much matches? When Dembele was sold and was not replaced. There are big gaps between our midfielders and defense and also between midfield and attack. Dembele was the one player who coverd these gaps. He was the man who intercepted attacks right before defense and drove the ball to the attackers. In today's team Sissoko often has to do that. He hasn't got the talent of Dembele and he don't knows his limits. Dembele was aware of the fact that he seldom scored goals and that he wasn't the man with the decisive assists. Dembele knew when to stop progressing with the ball and give the ball to the right player (Eriksen, Delle, Son). Sissoko contnues his run and gives a bad pass or shoorts the ball in row Z.

Suddenly there are doubts about Pocchetino? Why? What the man has done with Spurs is massive overachievement. We have the 7th buget in the league (after the 5 other traditional top 6 clubs and Everton). Yet we finished (going backwards): 4th, 3th and second and the year before that also 4th. We should end each and every season as 6th or 7th. The difference between what can be expected and what we have achieved is Mauricio Pocchetino and him only. Unfortunately fans are getting spoiled. Also, the timing in this progress is unlucky. At the time when we need to build our squad in order to take the next step up, we were building this fantastic stadium and we didn't have the money. Don't blame it on Enic or Levy. It's an unlucky coïncidence.

What should we do? Certainly not get rid of Pocchetino (unless he wants to go, then go for Allegri or Howe or even me or you, BUT CERTAINLY NOT FOR MOURINHO, he will destroy our club). Let Eriksen, Jan and Toby go. And give them a fantastic goodbye because they were phenomenal players and outstanding servants of the club. Look at Eriksen's stats, the miles he has run. And Jan and Toby were for 3 seasons the best CB pair in the world. Jan will want to play for Ajax, his wife is from Amsterdam and he is still loved there. Toby is a litle bit younger, perhaps he can play for a big club
Eriksen might play for Real Madrid, Barcelona or Juventus. Even PSG is a possibility and i'm quite sure that he will win silverware sooner than Spurs. Why does Spurs not organize a testimonial for Eriksen, Vertonghen, Alerweireld and Dembele?

Then Enic should back Pocch financially in the next two transfer windows. We need 6 or 7 good players and Pocch needs time to rebuild. Meanwhile get rid of the death wood: Wanyama and Rose (unfortunately both due to injuries, bot have been great), Dier, Aurier and Sissoko.

And then we need to buy very good players. Players that will get better at Spurs.

I think this stems from the CL final. Kane on from the start was a mistake IMO. Moura should've started.

I know Moura was probably in the plan for a late tactical change but it didn't come off.

What I felt though was that Moura's hard work and determination in the prev CL games was not respected/rewarded in the CL final.

So to come back next season with essentially the same player group and say "lets do it again".....lets do it all again to lose in the final....needs some serious motivation from ALL the players to achieve that.

Poch was considering leaving just before the CL final. Now he really has to stay and fix this (or wait to get fired) and it will be a massive test for him.

Lloris out may force some changes on the team mentality/style which I hope will start to work. But Levy has a stadium to fill and so Poch hasn't got much time to sort this out IMO.

Main point I want to make is I think this stems from the high quality of last season, a bad final and mental fatigue.

Back
Top Bottom