The United States Thread "Road to World Cup 2006"

gomito#10

World Cup Winner
9 May 2003
DC, USA
Starts tonight, talk about your US football here, top two teams advance to the next round

8/18/04

FIFA World Cup Qualifiers

U.S. Men at Jamaica

National Stadium (Kingston, Jamaica)

USA 1(ching) jamaica 1 (gardner)

9/4/04

U.S. Men vs. El Salvador

Gillette Stadium (Foxboro, Mass.)

9/8/04

U.S. Men at Panama

Estadio Rommel Fernandez (Panama City, Panama)

10/9/04

U.S. Men at El Salvador

TBD; Away

10/13/04

U.S. Men vs. Panama

RFK Stadium (Washington, D.C.)

11/17/04

U.S. Men vs. Jamaica

Columbus Crew Stadium (Columbus, Ohio)
Footer

we got a tough match against the "reggae boys" tonight
in Kingston "DOWN BY THE BEACH MAN". Anyways
here is my starting 11

-------Keller-------
hedjuk -- bocrenage--pope--vanney

Stewart---reyna--armas--beasley

mcbride--donovan

Bruce is gonna take a consevative approach to this one, i think he should play attacking football, but he wont.... 7:00pm ESPN2...

CS, shouldnt this be the "highway" to the world cup? ;)

Also, how do these qualifying games go down in the US? are there normally big crowds? and where do they normally play them, or is it a diff ground each time?

loz said:
CS, shouldnt this be the "highway" to the world cup? ;)

Also, how do these qualifying games go down in the US? are there normally big crowds? and where do they normally play them, or is it a diff ground each time?
highway, hmmm i like that loz! :)

As for big crowds, this has always been a big thorn in the side of US soccer. For instance, in 2001 qualification US decided to play guatemla in DC. Me and 13 of my boys get tickets, we show up at 7:30 in the morning thinking we would be early, FUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCK NOOOOOOOOoo!!! There are 48 thousand screaming Guatmalan fans at rfk, it was like driving into a south american conutry, chickens on a spit, dancing ladies, coronas, latino music balsting every where. Its pure world cup fanatisicim. Once we get inside we are one of a few US fans in attendence. You have got to understand that DC has a huge, I mean huge hispanic poplation, and alot of them are from guatamela. Most of the fans were hispanic in general but rooting against the US anyways. It was an amazing amotshpere, but gut ugly when the latinos began thrwoing bottles and bags of piss at Kasey Keller, after the match which US lost, Bruce Arena said he would never play rfk again. But thats like saying England will never play in London again..... So now the US soccer federation hand picks the venues accordingly. I.E. we always play mexico in New England in winter time, because it gives us the advantage and the hispanic population is not as great in the boston area. We also play in Ohio, which does not hae a huge hispanic population. They are strategicaly placing the games in non hispanic cities in order to avoid the nightmare that was rfk in 2001. They always play the games in different sites, but usually the same different sites, DC, Columbus Ohio, Foxboro Massachutes, and if we are playing canada or a carrabian nation LA. In ohio and mass its usually all americans, but in DC and LA its usually pro hispanic fans.... hopefully Mr freddy Adu will change all of this....

I wish you good luck for the campaign! :)

(Would be great if Jamaica makes it as well, and
if Holland should somehow manage to take part at the WC2006, we'll have one hell of a chilling atmosphere over here :D)

Glad you like that CS and cheers for that run down. . . i guess non-americans dont really think of these things. But its always good to get an insight into different cultures and i dont think you can get more diverse than the US.

Rentalkid said:
I wish you good luck for the campaign! :)

(Would be great if Jamaica makes it as well, and
if Holland should somehow manage to take part at the WC2006, we'll have one hell of a chilling atmosphere over here :D)
oh yeah!! i will be in germany for the cup, so i will have to hang with ruuuuuuud and the reaggae boyz before hand in Amsterdamn, that would be a good time MON!

My schedule for tonight:

7-9pm - watch US v Jamaica for WC qualifier
10-12 midnight - watch replay of England v Ukraine.

:mrgreen: Priceless.

I dont like Arena going with a conservative gameplan becuase I think the US team has spent the past year discovering an offensive confidence and .. dare I say. . . flair. I love the new attitude, the increased desire to take guys one on one, and the tendency to push ambitious passes forwards and split the defense, rather than gatering the ball and passing it backwards and laterally.

I met the head of US SOCCER at a sports dinner and we talked quite a bit. He said that Coach Arena had no idea where this offensive confidence and aggressiveness came from in the past few motnhs, because had not asked for it. Makes you wonder if the guy truly understands the desires and the possible dimensions of his team.

Also gotta give a shout out to all the present and former Chicago Fire players on both teams hitting the field tonight:

Carlos Bocanegra
DeMarcus Beasley
Chris Armas

Andy Williams
Damani Ralph

ghazi said:
My schedule for tonight:

7-9pm - watch US v Jamaica for WC qualifier
10-12 midnight - watch replay of England v Ukraine.

:mrgreen: Priceless.

I dont like Arena going with a conservative gameplan becuase I think the US team has spent the past year discovering an offensive confidence and .. dare I say. . . flair. I love the new attitude, the increased desire to take guys one on one, and the tendency to push ambitious passes forwards and split the defense, rather than gatering the ball and passing it backwards and laterally.

I met the head of US SOCCER at a sports dinner and we talked quite a bit. He said that Coach Arena had no idea where this offensive confidence and aggressiveness came from in the past few motnhs, because had not asked for it. Makes you wonder if the guy truly understands the desires and the possible dimensions of his team.[/quote ] I think bruce understands completley. arena is the master of the head games, IMO i think he is one of the best coaches in the world, his record with the US is remarkable(laugh at me if you want you footie snobs, but his record is outstanding), and his showings in international tournamnets have been great. I think Arena knows exactly where the flair has come from and he is just telling people that BS so other teams dont take advantage. 1-0 win for the US tonight.... USA USA USA!

loz said:
Glad you like that CS and cheers for that run down. . . i guess non-americans dont really think of these things. But its always good to get an insight into different cultures and i dont think you can get more diverse than the US.

exactly loz, so next time you hear someone say they hate americans, remind them, an american is irish, enlgish,welsh, scotish, senegalese, indian, australian, chinese, russian, argentinian, brazilian, chilean, german, italian, pakistan, iranian, mexican, etc. etc. etc. we are a VERY diverse country and we like it that way :)

1-1 at fulltime, goal by the us in the 88 min, Brian "ch cha" Ching!!!!!!!!!! The US national teams first and only ever Hawaiin, great game. Good job US

csaunders said:
loz said:

exactly loz, so next time you hear someone say they hate americans, remind them, an american is irish, enlgish,welsh, scotish, senegalese, indian, australian, chinese, russian, argentinian, brazilian, chilean, german, italian, pakistan, iranian, mexican, etc. etc. etc. we are a VERY diverse country and we like it that way :)

i know thats why i love this country :oops: :D :D

1 - 1 How do u rate that result ?? Myself I reckon Jamaica are probably the 3rd best team in the North/Central American group (behind the Mexicans and the USA). Costa Rica sometimes do too.

How many teams go through to the World Cup ? Also is it just one big group like the South American qualifiers ?

PS - csaunders ?? You have 13 sons ?? That game must have cost a lot. :shock: :shock:

cfdh_edmundo said:
1 - 1 How do u rate that result ?? Myself I reckon Jamaica are probably the 3rd best team in the North/Central American group (behind the Mexicans and the USA). Costa Rica sometimes do too.

How many teams go through to the World Cup ? Also is it just one big group like the South American qualifiers ?

PS - csaunders ?? You have 13 sons ?? That game must have cost a lot. :shock: :shock:
I think we get three teams thru to the WC, this is the semi final round before the final round. Right now there are three groups, and the top two in each group move ot the final group. In the final group I think the first three qualify out of six, I could be wrong.... It was a decent result. the US have never lost to Jamaica and we looked like we were going to lose. This guy Brian Ching is an intresting player, he is very much like Mcbride, big, tall, great header. He came in for Mcbride and immediatley missed a goal to tie it(open goal). Another intresting point is that he is teamates with Landon Donaovan in San Jose and they are the two forwards for that team, so they are used to playing with each other. In the 88 minute off a great build by the US, Cobi jones crosses the ball into landon donovan on the six, who drops it off to ching, who bangs it home!!!
So after all it was a good result, considering we were away in Kingston. I cant wait for the US match in my home town vs panama....
13 sons? Im too drunk to get that... :)

3 get thru, eh ? Well my guess would be the USA, Mexico and Jamaica (or maybe Costa Rica).

The 13 sons... its just in one of your posts u said "Me and my 13 boys"... that college fund is going to hurt !?!

Your wife must be in a constant state of exhaustion, after 13 kids she must be slacker than a wizards sleeve ;)

cfdh_edmundo said:
3 get thru, eh ? Well my guess would be the USA, Mexico and Jamaica (or maybe Costa Rica).

The 13 sons... its just in one of your posts u said "Me and my 13 boys"... that college fund is going to hurt !?!

Your wife must be in a constant state of exhaustion, after 13 kids she must be slacker than a wizards sleeve ;)
now i got you, americans use the tems boys as you enlgish use mates :)

csaunders said:
here is my starting 11
-------Keller-------
mcbride--donovan
The same starting, but with Howard in the keeper.

Glavisted said:
csaunders said:
here is my starting 11
-------Keller-------
mcbride--donovan
The same starting, but with Howard in the keeper.
nah man, howard is not as expereinced as keller or Friedel, he has nevr played a world cup qualifier..... Timmy will get his call one day, but at this point he needs to improve his aerial game

I think Howard has accumulated very experience in England with Manchester United, but I believes if the DT changes the goalkeeper should be Brad Friedel, genial arquero.

Glavisted said:
I think Howard has accumulated very experience in England with Manchester United, but I believes if the DT changes the goalkeeper should be Brad Friedel, genial arquero.
i agree as well, here is how i rate the americans

1)friedel
2)howard
3)keller

but to be fair they are all world class keepers and we would be fine with any of them

Earnie Stewart shouldn't be starting. Hell I don't even know if he should be on team unless you think he's a leader.

Simmsm88 said:
Earnie Stewart shouldn't be starting. Hell I don't even know if he should be on team unless you think he's a leader.
\
well man, in some respect i agree, but watch ernie, his man never, ever, ever scores, he plays defense very well, and his touch is still very good, he wont go forward much, but his experience and defense s what keeps him in the mathces, when i look at arenas record in concacaf 37-7-7, i trust him completley, like i said before he is probably the most underated coach in the world, or one of them....

¿Earnie Stewart is our capitan yet?, sorry but here I can't hear many notices of the U.S. Team.

Arena has brought in the big guns!!! haahaha, USA vs El Salvador, 4pm on 9/04 here is the roster

Goalkeepers: Tim Howard (Manchester United, England), Kasey Keller (Tottenham Hotspur, England), Jonny Walker (MetroStars)

Defenders: Carlos Bocanegra (Fulham, England), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover, Germany), Bobby Convey (Reading, England), Cory Gibbs (Dallas), Frankie Hejduk (Columbus), Oguchi Onyewu (Standard Liege, Belgium), Eddie Pope (MetroStars), Greg Vanney (Bastia, France)

Midfielders: DaMarcus Beasley (PSV Eindhoven, Netherlands), Landon Donovan (San Jose), Eddie Gaven (MetroStars), Cobi Jones (Los Angeles), Eddie Lewis (Preston North End, England), Clint Mathis (Hannover, Germany), Claudio Reyna (Manchester City, England), Kerry Zavagnin (Kansas City)

Forwards: Conor Casey (Mainz, Germany), Brian Ching (San Jose), Eddie Johnson (Dallas), Brian McBride (Fulham, England).

USA 2 El Salvador 0

Brian Ching assit to Bobbey Convey
Landon Donovan

Troubled game with horrible officiating, but US still got the poitns from an inferior opponent

Good step for US, but will have its true test set against Mexico in the Concacaf.

Glavisted said:
Good step for US, but will have its true test set against Mexico in the Concacaf.
we own mexico they havent scored on us in like 11 matches.... but yes they are the strongest opponents

Hey CS, great thread idea. I've thought for awhile we needed a place the US folks could post their thoughts. I gotta say, saturday's match against El Salvador was a bit sloppy. It seemed like there was more time spent in the first half with injuries and cards being given than actually playing. Maybe I had too many beers in, but I still don't know why their coach got sent off. At the end of the day though, glad we got the win.

csaunders said:
Glavisted said:
we own mexico they havent scored on us in like 11 matches.... but yes they are the strongest opponents
It's true, US the first team of the Concacaf... :D, but Mexico is the principal opponent.

Back
Top Bottom