The Wire - Greatest TV Drama Ever??

Vannizzlefashizzal

TWENTYTIMES!!!!
31 October 2002
This has finished in the states now, FX channel are currently running the entire 1-5 seasons, with season 3 just about to finish.....

I loved the soprano's, thought that was the bollox, but the wire even shits on that from a great distance...

The way it covers every angle of "the game" from the street to the politicians, is just superb, the fact its so realistic is (IMO) the reason why its never taken off comercially...

It also introduced some of the baddest mo'fo's to hit the screen...

Avon Barksdale...

Marlo...

The Greek...

"not your average drug dealers"

and the baddest robin hood since errrmmm robin hood

Omar...

Now alot of people (even my own peeps) arent up on The Wire, im hoping some of you's know-the-ledge...

Almost 100 main characters with their own big story. Umbelievable.

It was hard to understand everything in season 1 but as soon as you follow the plot, it's a great journey.

I 'm using lots of superlatives, but I can't speak about the Wire in another way.

Best-show-ever. Simple as that. :rock:

You have to watch it... NOW !

I agree the Wire is an incredible series! Whether it's the best ever I can't say. There have been so many incredible dramas before the wire.. The Sopranos, and OZ to name but a few.. all HBO consequently.

I'm glad so many others like The Wire though, means they'll stick with it for a while.

Almost 100 main characters with their own big story. Umbelievable.

It was hard to understand everything in season 1 but as soon as you follow the plot, it's a great journey.

I 'm using lots of superlatives, but I can't speak about the Wire in another way.

Best-show-ever. Simple as that. :rock:

You have to watch it... NOW !

yup yup!!

the way it unfolds is unlike any other tv programme ive ever seen...

what season are you upto?

I agree the Wire is an incredible series! Whether it's the best ever I can't say. There have been so many incredible dramas before the wire.. The Sopranos, and OZ to name but a few.. all HBO consequently.

I'm glad so many others like The Wire though, means they'll stick with it for a while.

i never got into OZ, i like hip-hop but as soon as I see rappers being placed in films/tv it loses credibility...

Seriously give it a chance, it get's better season by season. But as far as Police/Drug type scenarios go, The Wire craps all over The Shield. The Shield was great but after watching all seasons of The Wire I can't go back.

Vann you're a genius...The Wire is definitely the best TV drama ever...
I've season 1-4 on DVD, i am watching season 3 now...absolutely superb...

It depends on what you're expecting from a show. I was fulfilled. The Wire is very, very interesting, that's the main reason I didnt stop watching after a difficult start. All the characters and the way gangtas are talking was very hard for me to get into.

Before the action, before the drama, there's a complete story which hit you. You don't watch such a show every day and I am sure I will regret it for a long time.

It's a drama where not a single scene is useless. I won't compare it with the Shield since both shows are completely opposite. For me, Vic Mackey is The Shield; while on the Wire all my friends have their own favourite character (even thought some are true legends).

fuck, i'm gonna watch the thing. I was reading the thread thinking "is it that good?!" but when mjsmith2k said the it shits all over The Shield (that i love) that was what really made go for it.

Gonna find the thing and start watching it.

fuck, I'm gonna watch the thing. I was reading the thread thinking "is it that good?!" but when mjsmith2k said the it shits all over The Shield (that i love) that was what really made go for it.

Gonna find the thing and start watching it.

It's worth it Revan. Maybe I was a bit harsh saying it craps all over it. Don't get me wrong the Shield is a great show and I am a massive fan, but the Wire has so much more depth, I feel like anything can happen. The Police (5-0) are so raw and real it just adds another element to the show. Anyways, don't forget the final season of The Shield is soon, should be a great finale!

I wouldn't say the Shield is opposite at all. In an interview with David Simon, the creator of The Wire, he was saying how the Shield was a 'raw' drama and how Maccy was such a pivotal character, which similar to The Wire.

Anyways, if you are an impartial viewer...watch both, they're both good but the Wire just pips it in my opinion.

Last edited:
i'm not that far ahead on the shield. I'm on season 5 (I think)
I watch it on the tube(this is just wrong, it's not a tube anymore) so it is bound to be behind.

EDIT: oh god, I didn't even realise I was on season 6. This thing went so fast! :\

Last edited:
The Wire is an awesome show, I prefer The Shield though. They're both about as good as American drama can get, another great drama is the Canadian show Intelligence, quite difference but I really enjoyed that :)

The Wire is so good and so realistic that real dealers watch to know how the police works.
The BAtimore police wired a group of dealers and they found out that they were big fans of The Wire...
David Simon was a documentary maker before writing the wall with e.a. George Pelecanos. It is the only series i know where the writers give as much attention to the bad guys than to the police.

PS: if you love "The Wire" you have to read George Pelecanos' books especially Drama City.
PPS: my favourite character is the junkie who is a snitch in the first series and who also appears in the second and the third series (at one time without trousers)...i forgot his name...

Good thread Vannizzlefashizzal.

Yeah, this show is the shit! I can't wait for season 5.

gerd, thanks for the info on the post above.

About your favourite character, you must be talking about Bubbles.

I'm going to order season 1 next week, I'm looking forward to it.

glad to see some like minded peeps on here..

even better that some of you that havent seen it are gonna have a look...

gerd, glad to hear your a fan of the show!! bubbles is a great character, ive never seen the actor before, he's excellent..

true story that while waiting around on set, someone tried to sell him drugs cos they thought he was a real junkie...

its hard to have a fave character, dont want to give anything away but who i liked in the 1st series had changed dramtically by the 3rd (stringer and avon for example)

it'd be easy to go get the 5th series but this is the only show that i look forward to watching every week, plus i dont want it to end..

lol so knowing ive got another 26 weeks helps!!

glad to see some like minded peeps on here..

even better that some of you that havent seen it are gonna have a look...

gerd, glad to hear your a fan of the show!! bubbles is a great character, ive never seen the actor before, he's excellent..

true story that while waiting around on set, someone tried to sell him drugs cos they thought he was a real junkie...

its hard to have a fave character, dont want to give anything away but who i liked in the 1st series had changed dramtically by the 3rd (stringer and avon for example)

it'd be easy to go get the 5th series but this is the only show that i look forward to watching every week, plus i dont want it to end..

lol so knowing ive got another 26 weeks helps!!

'Bubbles' was in the Sarah Connor Chronicles as one of the future soldiers! Was a shock to see him.

The Wires is a superb show - never afraid to be different and shock the viewers - like:-

When they killed off Stringer Bell who was a large part of the show - and also D'Angelo who when you watch Series 1, you think the show is going to be based around him.

Absolutely love it - we've been watching it on FX, so just started Series 4.

Wonder how long McNulty stays 'straight' for - its hilarious watching him living the 'American Dream' now :LOL:

Recommend to all!

wow all you guys forgot i told you about this when you were raving about the shield :) LOL. which is terrible compared to this... Best cop show ever...
Somone please give me credit :)

wow all you guys forgot i told you about this when you were raving about the shield :) LOL. which is terrible compared to this... Best cop show ever...
Somone please give me credit :)

I disagree, The Wire is very good, The Shield is excellent. I would also say that neither are the best cop show ever, not sure there even is one, all cop shows have strengths and weaknesses, some seasons better than others, NYPD Blue Season 1 for example was an awesome piece of cop television, Homicide Life on the Streets again had some excellent seasons, even going back further Hill Street Blues was very good, there are also cop shows from other nations that are very good, Between The Lines about UK's "internal affairs" from the 90s, Intelligence from Canada, City Homicide from Australia (first season ended a few months ago).

Yes I'm a bit of a cop show addict ;)

Well to methe Wire is the TV-series ever, but i agre with Placebo that it's not a cop series...and i also loved Hill Street Blues...

There was something Italian in the 80's that i loved too: La Piovra it's about an anti-maffia unit. I may be biased because in one of the series there was red haired woman i quite fancied (and that is a serious understatement, but that's more than 20 years ago...): Giulia if i remember well..

I disagree, The Wire is very good, The Shield is excellent. I would also say that neither are the best cop show ever, not sure there even is one, all cop shows have strengths and weaknesses, some seasons better than others, NYPD Blue Season 1 for example was an awesome piece of cop television, Homicide Life on the Streets again had some excellent seasons, even going back further Hill Street Blues was very good, there are also cop shows from other nations that are very good, Between The Lines about UK's "internal affairs" from the 90s, Intelligence from Canada, City Homicide from Australia (first season ended a few months ago).

Yes I'm a bit of a cop show addict ;)

How can you forget Miami Vice? :)
It was prime in is days.

Actually I was thinking about that after I made my post, it has obviously aged badly (as have most 80s shows) but at the time it was certainly the best cop show, Crockett and Tubbs were cool as fuck :)

Back
Top Bottom