The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

For those keen on this, Amazon are currently selling a GTX 960 SSC with a free digital download of this.

Convinced me. Upgrade time!

Check other retailers as some (Newegg maybe?) are also offering Batman free as well as The Witcher 3.

Edit: Ah, that's 970 and upwards. Ignore me!

Check other retailers as some (Newegg maybe?) are also offering Batman free as well as The Witcher 3.

Cheers anyway, my rig doesn't have the juice for a 970 :(

Love the Batman games too. Such a good time to be a PC gamer (footie games aside)

Getting shockingly good reviews, I know from experience how hard it is to get the credit your game deserves when you're an Eastern European dev.

IGN 10/10
Gamespot 9.3/10
Gametrailers 9.8/10

http://www.gamerankings.com/ps4/702760-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/index.html

92.14% based on 11 reviews

Weird that so far it's only the PS4 version getting reviewed though.

Edit: Just read the PC review code hasn't been sent out yet because the day one patch that fixes a number of issues isn't ready, smacks of desperation to me and a worrying sign of the current state of the game on PC.

Last edited:
Edit: Just read the PC review code hasn't been sent out yet because the day one patch that fixes a number of issues isn't ready, smacks of desperation to me and a worrying sign of the current state of the game on PC.

Well, the thread about the rumoured graphical downgrade over at NeoGAF, which the devs have issued a "neither confirm or deny" statement about (which is always an "it's true" in my book), is really interesting stuff.

I'd be really pissed off if I'd upgraded a PC to play it.

ozAzLD2.jpg
admvLGj.jpg

Developer Insider: "The Witcher 3 Was Downgraded" - CLICK HERE
We just did not have the manpower, budget or the console power to produce the vision we intended before the consoles were released to create a more visually stunning game of higher fidelity like 2013 assets. The PCs themselves had more than enough power to achieve this vision, almost certainly. But working on the game across 3 platforms did not make it feasible to keep features included that could potentially break the game as we kept building around it. All the 2013 trailers were actually in-game footage (not prerendered or vertical slices) but essentially just not an entirely finished world running on a high-end PC at the time.

NeoGAF Discussion Thread (it's long) - CLICK HERE

Last edited:
PC games being downgraded is something that I have been fully expecting since Watchdogs..

The problem is they start developing the game using high end systems, then when they have to port the game to PS4, XB and lower spec PC's they probably have no choice but to disable some of the features.. It is a bitch and hopefully something that can maybe come later on in patches..

Looks to be a masterpiece.

I don't know anything about the Witcher games really. Do they (will this) play like Skyrim, which I loved, or like a more traditional turn-based RPG?

Fuck that downgrade is nasty. Looks like a ps3 game.

Just like Watchdogs then...

But least the settings were still in an .ini file and they could be reactivated.

With Witcher they have basically just said the PS4 and XBONE just don't cut it so we removed loads of features..
I think it shows what the PS4/XBONE should of been capable off if they hadn't put 2 year old mid range cards in the systems.

Last edited:
Just like Watchdogs then...

But least the settings were still in an .ini file and they could be reactivated.
Yeah, from what I read, there's similar settings in INI files in Witcher 3 but they all have tags after them that say "cannot be activated yet", or words to that effect. It's looking like a lot of graphical features might not be available until some kind of "ultimate edition" of the game.

Lots of it is rumours, but again, given the developer's official response which didn't confirm or deny anything, it looks true to me.

My favourite quote from that anonymous report is:

There were several options: build three different builds or consolidate to the nearest denominator, which is what we did. We took the specifications of the lowest performing throughput system which I don't care to mention here at all to avoid that discussion, and worked our way up from there. As almost a 250 man team, we sequentially had to take out/turn down a lot of features not just from our NVIDIA GameWorks pipeline but our normal game solution scripts as well.

Thanks, Microsoft.

The Xbox One is the worst thing to happen to gaming this generation...

Considering the PS4 really isn't that much more powerful than the Xbone and certainly is no more than on a par with an average laptop spec I think they're both as bad as each other but I certainly take that "insider" stuff with a huge pinch of salt until I hear otherwise :)

Basically arguing the definition of downgrading, so it wasn't downgrading it was optimising...

Quote from that video:

"It's very unfair to compare trailers to gameplay videos"

Yeah, because why should a trailer look like the game... Who would expect (or consider it fair for) that to be the case...

Also, some of the trailers they refer to weren't exactly cutscenes, they were snippets of (what looked like) gameplay.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they're evil or the next EA or something, but that's a pretty shitty thing to say. They may as well say "of course we're going to make it look good in the trailers, we're trying to fool you into buying the game, it's not false advertising, it's creative marketing, we're allowed". They're going to get away with this?

If it was e.g. Ubisoft, they'd be getting torn to pieces, but because it's a smaller outfit the outrage is confined to a handful of angry nerds (like me) on a forum somewhere (like this).

I was pretty enamoured by the trailers, but I've read a few reviews that mention combat "suffers" from the same issues as the previous games (which I found laborious and unsatisfying). That, and such a downgrade in the graphics (which I don't think are anything special now) has totally put me off (until the price lowers at least).

It'll sell millions regardless, but it leaves a bitter taste.

Last edited:
Looks to be a masterpiece.

I don't know anything about the Witcher games really. Do they (will this) play like Skyrim, which I loved, or like a more traditional turn-based RPG?

Skyrim. It's an open world do as you please - as in it's certainly not turn based.

The main issue is that the devs constantly said the final game would look like the original screenshots/trailers or better.

Did they ?!

That's pretty shitty then to twist it around now. Though they have plenty of apologists defending them

I'm clearly just not that 'up on' latest graphics on PC. I have GTA V and just get lost sometimes staring at how freakin beautiful it looks. Like never in my life did I think a video game would reach that level of amazing.

Still feel that way with Skyrim too, which is probably my favourite gaming experience of all time.

So anything the Witcher 3 offers will probably blow me way :)

If you buy from Dabs now you also get GTA 5.

So 3 top games free.

I'm clearly just not that 'up on' latest graphics on PC. I have GTA V and just get lost sometimes staring at how freakin beautiful it looks. Like never in my life did I think a video game would reach that level of amazing.

Still feel that way with Skyrim too, which is probably my favourite gaming experience of all time.

So anything the Witcher 3 offers will probably blow me way :)

Which system do you play on?

I've seen quite a few people say they got theirs today, gamecollection, simplygames and shopto.

Not so positive article here..

http://www.vg247.com/2015/05/12/the...who-swallow-its-unpalatable-difficulty-curve/

Main problem everyone need to be made aware of is the save files and difficulty no no one else has to restart the entire game because they're stuck in a cave against an unbeatable boss.

The rest of the negatives are just stupid annoying shit that should never be there.
Not so positive?
If you read the whole article you'll see that he has fallen in love with the game, even after the harsh start. He started it all over and went in with a different attitude: a more slower, RPG-attitude, and the pay-off was huge.
Looking forward to it!

I think his problem was he tried to be too much of a true RPG gamer and he spent too long inside the cave trying to find a way to win the battle, if he'd quickly chickened out there'd probably have been autosaves available from not too long before. Personally I always rotate at least 3 manual saves plus autosaves for every game I play whether that be Fifa or an RPG, too many tales of woe about lost saves to take chances.

He writes he went in with a quick 3rd person-action game-attitude. This game punishes you very hard for that in that you will be crushed when you encounter foes at too early a stage, when you simply have not build your character enough. Play slow, explore, build and be rewarded. That seems to be his conclusion. He also seems to admit that being stuck in that cave was his own fault, not the game's.

Back
Top Bottom