The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Good to see that someone made it to level 36 on BBones difficulty. I'm on level 19 in Novigrad so I'm on my way there. Really taking my time with this game as there is show much to do.

Couple glitches I've seen. When you have a monsters nest in front of you leave one item in it. Then Turn away from the chest and when you go back everything is there again. Also, one time I was on the beach fighting bandits. Killed them all, meditated, and a bunch of them reappeared again. Seen it occur with drowners as well

Can't see myself playing NG plus. I have 4 other games in my ps4 library that I still haven't beaten so I'll prob just wait for the expansion packs

Finally picked this up.

Will get BF: Hardline out the way and then play this alongsie PES.

Looking forward to seeing this play.

FD

Finally started this up, really enjoying it.

Not sure if I'm getting the whole alchemy stuff though.

I've just went on the 2nd level (not the broken bones or whatever it is called).

Gwent is a no-no, just not for me.

I'll try and play out the main missions and all the side quests.

Only thing is having no previous Witcher experience, with the exception of a quick recap of the games some of my choices for answeres are a bit ropey and don't really know much on the characters i.e. Ciri (daughter?), Versimi, Triss (who I've not met yet) and Yen. Even more so with the questions the baron asked me about previous characters.

FD

Just started this last night. Loving how it looks, like a medieval HD Red Dead Redemption. Hating the American Geralt accent. 'erbs, indeed! Yet to be seen if I can stick with it, but the stuff included in box was certainly impressive.

Really enjoying this, but I'm not sure about the whole alchemy stuff and that, I make nothing and don't really get all the potions etc.

Just really trying to get as good a sword or two as possible, lol.

Enjoying the story as it's going though too, trying most of the missions, but some I'm leaving or not wanting to complete due to the outcomes, bit weird that they still remain open, would be better if they closed off rather than leave it to change i.e. Velen fighting, end guy gives spiel about his situation, I throw fight, but it's still open and won't complete.

Still playing away on this, god knows how long this game is though, lol.

I've been getting caught up in side quests, and have just landed in Skellig - still got loads of sub-quests to do in the previous lands too.

Not sure how long I have to go right enough in the game.

I'll need to stop trying to be goody two shoes though, lol, see myself wanting to save everyone and keep looking up some of the quests to see what happens if I choose a particular option. Will need to just go with the flow and see what develops.

I'm never 100% sure if I ignore a mission that I'm missing out on something, but then again never sure if I'm accepting it that I'm going to regret it.

FD

Still playing away on this, god knows how long this game is though, lol.

I've been getting caught up in side quests, and have just landed in Skellig - still got loads of sub-quests to do in the previous lands too.

Not sure how long I have to go right enough in the game.

I'll need to stop trying to be goody two shoes though, lol, see myself wanting to save everyone and keep looking up some of the quests to see what happens if I choose a particular option. Will need to just go with the flow and see what develops.

I'm never 100% sure if I ignore a mission that I'm missing out on something, but then again never sure if I'm accepting it that I'm going to regret it.

FD

I enjoyed the game best when I decided I was going to play the game again after all the DLC arrives... or at least not until next summer when I've had enough time to forget some of the details.

Anyways, once you decide to play it again, you'll no longer have the completionist compulsion (hopefully) and you'll start to skip stuff that doesn't fit your play through. Because you can always take the road not traveled next time.

I really enjoyed Witcher 3 and didn't want it to end... I loved the entire story and much like a good book was sad when it was over. However you decide to play, don't let the game become work. It's just too good for that.

I guess I'm near the end, back at Kaer Mohrn (sp?) I'm going to assemble some other characters for the fight.

Without going into any detail, is it possible to complete the witcher contracts and side quests after the game or should I do it before I start this mission?

TIA

FD

hmmmmm, someone has told me I can't do them after The Battle?

Although supposedly I still have another 10-20 hours though, lol.

FD

You can do sidequest stuff after the game is completed, of course common tense tells you if it's something for a key character who is no longer around after the battle for one reason or another then that mission won't be available :)

I'm trying to answer without any kind of spoilers of course, the final battles are quite dynamic so there might or might not be issues that make other characters unavailable :)

Yeah thanks mate.

I think next time I get the opportunity I'll tidy up the contracts and side quests available and then start again with the main story.

Thing is I don't know really how much other missions are really available, as I haven't roamed the whole area, sticking more to the missions/contracts therefore there are a lot of '?' around the place that maybe open more quests I'm guessing, as when you travel a '!' can pop up on your travels, outwith the normal notice board postings.

Great game though, one of the best I've played in a very long time.

FD

Think I've almost completed it, mind you I looked online to get a gauge of how many secondary quests I still had to do and there are loads, lol. Will keep on that.

Great game though and whilst I don't normally buy DLC's, with the exception of Assassins Creed, I'm gonna go for this one's DLCs too.

FD

Yeah gonna get get this, there is another one next year. I probably normally wouldn't have kept it that long, but think I will for this.

Completed the game, got a decent ending, went down the Empress/Triss ending so not bad.

Will give it a whirl now with the secondary quests and contracts.

Just going through each land and ticking off list.

FD

This is 25 pounds now on PSN, untill the 30th (Black Friday deal). I want to get it, but I wonder if it's a bit too much role playing for me. I'm more of a character action man. Not played the old games at all either.

Still, this seems like a bigger mainstream thing than many role playing games. What do you guys reckon?

Last edited:
If you want to play this game as more of an action type experience, you can. It's RPG elements are presented very well... easy enough to grasp for those just interested in the action or story but complex enough for those who really want to grind.

The combat is about as complex as Mass Effect... you can pause the action and be more tactical if you choose, or you can play it as a straight action game and mix in powers on the fly. Your choice. Both systems are excellent.

For what you seem to be looking for, I bet Witcher 3 fits the bill. Could be the best game you've ever played.

I had this since release but only started properly playing it a week ago. I was bumming around the level 8, level 9 mark, I'd completed the Baron's set of quests but I hadn't really gone to Oxenfurt or Novigrad - for some reason I felt like I wasn't supposed to. It was only a couple of weeks ago, when I came back to the game after months of thinking it was really restrictive, that things suddenly took off. Now I think it's bloody great. It's still got stuff it could work on but it's also got so much more character and atmosphere than Skyrim or games like that.

The menus, and the general crafting / alchemy / inventory faffing is the weakest part of the game - it pays to just think 'I don't really care about any of this' and just sell everything you don't need / just buy additional ingredients as and when you need them, rather than hoard and try to plan too much ahead. Ultimately you just need to marginalise that side of the game for yourself, so you can focus on getting stabby and slicey.

Oh, also your horse is a complete idiot. And fighting on horseback is bloody clumsy. But you'll have some pretty epic fights once you get the hang of the combat, and realise how fighting drowners/devourers requires completely different tactics to fighting humans.

A couple of non-spoiler tips to help you enjoy the game.

- Play on the hardest difficulty you can. The game is naturally harder at the beginning because you are limited in your powers. As you unlock abilities for your character, you will start to dominate in situations that were once difficult. You can reduce the difficulty at any time if things are getting frustrating, but I suggest sticking with the hardest difficulty as long as you can.

- Also, spend those ability points. Many times in games I hoard ability points to make sure I don't spend them on the wrong things. Not a worry in this game, you'll be able to respec your character as often as you like in the game. So spend your points on cool abilities as often as you like.

- There is an insane amount of content. Don't try to do it all if you don't want to... don't let the game become "work" to you. The "reward" of playing Witther 3, for me, is progressing through the main and side plots. It's like a great book or movie, many times I kept playing just to find out what happened next. Most missions are interesting, or funny, or surprising. The characters seem great (and I didn't know anything of Witcher 1 or 2 before playing the game... although I did watch a few recap videos on youtube before playing W3) and you'll experience PLENTY of content by just following what you find interesting. You don't need travel everywhere to do everything in one play through if you don't want. Considering the story branches in different directions depending on your choices, you may want to save content for a second play through anyway.

- And one last combat tip, I found a lot of success mixing up my combat with magic and swordplay. I didn't use the alchemy powers very often... but if you are having difficulty with the combat early on, it's probably going to be when you are outnumbered. You can get killed easily when swarmed by weaker enemies, so if this is what frustrates you when playing, focus on abilities that can stagger enemies or otherwise split up enemies in groups. It's not all about overpowering your character to deal max damaage to enemies (although you can go that route) but it's a lot about varying your combat to your enemy type, or creating a positional advantage, or being otherwise creative in your combat.

Last edited:
This is 25 pounds now on PSN, untill the 30th (Black Friday deal). I want to get it, but I wonder if it's a bit too much role playing for me. I'm more of a character action man. Not played the old games at all either.

Still, this seems like a bigger mainstream thing than many role playing games. What do you guys reckon?

I was a bit the same as you thinking, however like Eaton I haven't had any previous knowledge of the Witcher World, and did a quick recap on YT to get a brief history lesson.

I have not dedicated really any time to potions and stuff, there are a few that you will need, but it is minimal input. This didn't interest me at all, neither did the Gwent game, however there is a big part within the game on that which does have stories to it, however I haven't grasped the game at all from that perspective, however I may look at it in time, not sure at the moment, but didn't feel I missed out on anything.

I didn't do the hardest level, think mind was around middle of the road or such, and I'm something like level 37 and there isn't much work needed to take care of enemies now.

I'm trying to tidy up any secondary quests that I can find, am definetely getting the DLC's.

The game is huge though especially if you do get caught up in the other quests outwith the main ones, you find yourself immersed in the game and want to help people out.

Defo one of the best games I've played of this type, I did prefer Shadow of Mordor, but that is more because I love LOTR, although in this game you get more involved with the many characters throughout and it is a far better and immersive story to it that the likes of Shadow of Mordor.

You can just slash your way as you go, no need to worry about potions and the likes.

I do admit, I won't play the storymode again, yeah I could, but I'll play it once via the main story and will stick with my choices made.

You'll not regret it one bit, you can play it out however you wish, I love how there are so many side quests but relate to the main quests too, although you technically don't have to do them.

FD

Couldn't really get any work done today because of weather so I jumped into this game. Having fun so far, trying to get to level 3 so I get deal with the griffin. Item system seems really complex although I managed to make swallow for the injured girl.

I love the atmosphere, especially the changing weather!

I have no idea what happened to the older Witcher that was with me in the beginning (his name escapes me at the moment). He sat down for an ale and I haven't seen him since.

Last edited:
Couldn't really get any work done today because of weather so I jumped into this game. Having fun so far, trying to get to level 3 so I get deal with the griffin. Item system seems really complex although I managed to make swallow for the injured girl.

I love the atmosphere, especially the changing weather!

I have no idea what happened to the older Witcher that was with me in the beginning (his name escapes me at the moment). He sat down for an ale and I haven't seen him since.

Vesemir said he would go run some errands to prepare for the hunt.

Yeah I figured I'd missed some of the dialogue there. He was waiting for me as soon as I was ready for the griffin. That was a fun battle, I admit I'm having an easier time with monsters than with people. When it comes to murdering them.

Yeah I figured I'd missed some of the dialogue there. He was waiting for me as soon as I was ready for the griffin. That was a fun battle, I admit I'm having an easier time with monsters than with people. When it comes to murdering them.

You'll probably find 1v1 battles (Although maybe not all of them) easier throughout the game compared to battles with "lesser" multiple opponents... At least that is how is was for me at the highest difficulty. In battles with a single target (even one that does high damage) you can focus all your abilities on one target to keep it staggered and taking damage, as well as keep yourself safe by dodging it's attacks. When facing multiple opponents, it's very easy to die if you allow yourself to get attacked on multiple fronts at once and get yourself staggered.

As a general strategy you can be more patient in 1v1 battles but you need to be very aggressive in taking on multiple enemies at once. Aggressive means using abilities, moving a lot (and quickly), and trying to kill as fast as you can. Learning the differences in how each type of enemy attacks (and must be countered) is important, but so is finding cover/high ground, etc.

Again, I'm not sure how the game is on lower than the highest difficulty, but I really enjoyed the threat of death in every battle... even "easy" ones. May not be for everyone (and I didn't die all that much, Geralt is still badass) but it's what I enjoyed. Have fun.

Does anyone know how the game has changed over the past months with patches? Has it improved much?

I only got half way through before life got in the way and I'm thinking of returning and just wondering if it's been updated much.

Back
Top Bottom