The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Unlocking the sword 'twirl' proved to be essential for the tough combat in this dlc. When you go to liberate a Hansa Fort, there are literal waves of baddies thrown at you. Watching Geralt spinning through the group and hacking down the hordes is quite satisfying as well. A combination of this, a steel weapon which gives Geralt vitality and the vitality stealing shield has been my go to strategy for these encounters.

December 1st, 2015 I started this journey, yesterday I finished it. It is not quite that long but most certainly the most time I have ever spent on a single game.
Ending it was bittersweet, I didn't get the best ending for Blood and Wine (might even have been the worst) but it seems fitting, still. Also there is a tiny epilogue where I meet a certain character and it seems like a perfect ending.
The last boss battle was insane, I had to consume food constantly to hold my levels up. Also some effect cancelling potion I forget now saved the day, along with my blade oil for the particular enemy being maxed out.
Doubt I will find a game as good as this for a while.

PC Mods for this game are awesome...

I remember playing in PS4 at release - looting could easily kill the fun.

In PC, well... opening console and typing "spawnBoatAndMount" in skellige is a bliss. And fast travel from anywhere too.

The game aged well in PC. Not a single bug of losing the savegame with a lot of mods

Bit tired of football games I finally decided to go back to finish this.
If it sucks me back in - i might be gone for a while, coz Im still in Novigrad, level 16.
Havent travelled to the other Island yet (Skellige?) And I also have both expansions.

I was a bit worried that come back will be difficult without remembering what I did, where was I and how to fight, but it didnt take long to sink in.
Absolutely love the fact that every, even smallest side quest is all voiced acted and all of them have their own story. Its not just "get me X", "bring it from A to B".

Defo one of the best games I ever played and I know I barely scratched the surface.

Skellige is a fantastic place, and one I have been meaning to revisit after finishing the game, as it is the region where I went for the fewest side missions. I will be using my final save, and although I will be overpowered, Í don't really mind just strolling through enemies and taking in the scenery, since I already finished the main story.
Just remember, when you arrive there for the very first time, to take a good look around. You'll know what I mean if you find it.

Skellige is a fantastic place, and one I have been meaning to revisit after finishing the game, as it is the region where I went for the fewest side missions. I will be using my final save, and although I will be overpowered, Í don't really mind just strolling through enemies and taking in the scenery, since I already finished the main story.
Just remember, when you arrive there for the very first time, to take a good look around. You'll know what I mean if you find it.
I was waiting for your reply. ;)
I'll be heading there once I finish off every quest I have running on the first island. Not many of them left now and for some Im way too weak yet. Also, just want to uncover as many of the question marks as I can before I go. Im in no hurry whatsoever. Its one of those games where the closer you are to the end, the sadder you feel.

Ps. What level were you at the end? Just wondering how far into the story am i.

@Emroth I haven't played in a while but I think I was on level 35 when I finished the main quest. I still have other quests I haven't completed though so I will go back to it.

After reading so much about the game and everyone saying how amazing it is, thought I would give this a go.

Is there anyone who plays on PC who recommends any decent mods, as normally with games like this and Elder Scrolls, there are normally mods which massively improve the experience.

@mattmid im doing all quests i find so im not even half way through.. are there more islands after Skellige? Or just those two main ones?

@bsmaff im on ps4 so cant help you there.
If you were looking for any mods, id say just graphics could use a little revamp. Dont get me wrong - it doesnt look bad and the world in some places is unbelievable, but some characters and lightning in places is giving away the fact the game is good few years old now.
Altho once you start the quests, story should quickly suck you in so deep that you wont mind the little graphic flaws.

Just keep in mind - your choices really do matter. It will shape the world around you and decide who lives and who dies. And sometimes, even if you think you're doing the right thing - you'll get decent people killed. So you have to really think about your decisions there..

@bsmaff I play on PC but I must admit I haven't used any mods. I ran it on 3840/2160 and I thought the graphics were superb, the world is absolutely beautiful. Even Geralt's beard grows! As to mods though I can't really recommend as I haven't used any and didn't really feel the need, but I know there are a lot out there. If they improve it further then that's impressive.

It really is a brilliant game, if you like games anything like this then I'm sure you'll love it. I went through the series from 1 to 3 after it kind of passed me by. 3 was out before I even started 1. It just got better and better and I was blown away by 3 when I started it. Some really great humour in it too.

@Emroth That's it I think unless I've forgotten. But there's also the area of Toussaint that you can't get into until you've finished a quest I believe and they recommend being at least level 34 by then.

I didnt even play 1&2. Bought part 3, Game of the Year edition, with all the expansions in one. And that was only last year, so its not like the infamous "nostalgia" that makes the game better than it actually is.
The little touches, like above mentioned growing beard, something that Rockstar only implemented last year, would be just one of countless small details that can blow away.
Or killing monsters in abandoned village, just to come back after a while to see the village repopulate.

The amount of crafting, weapons, materials is unreal. That is - if you like that sort of thing. Im not bothered with crafting, I just go through the world slashing everybody who deserves it.

Its a very deep game. A lot of ugly truths are hidden below the surface. Moral choices are often tough and make you pick lesser evil.
First game ever, where I hated evil creatures less than people..

"I carry two swords. One of silver for creatures that roam the wild, one of steel for humans in their cities of stone. Both are for monsters."

I remember that i loved this game when i played it and finished it 2-3 years ago.
Surely gonna replay it at some point.
The good thing is that i have forgot almost everything about the story and the characters.
I don't know if the fact that i smoked weed for 12-13 years has something to do with this..:CONFUSE:
So when i play it again it's gonna feel fresh and almost like a new game..good stuff.
I also hadn't played some dlcs/expansions that released after so one more reason to play it again.

The only problem with games like this that they are effin long.... i know many people love that but i just get fed up doing a story driven game for 100 hours. I put it on ice after 8 hours of play into the story only.

Bit tired of football games I finally decided to go back to finish this.
If it sucks me back in - i might be gone for a while, coz Im still in Novigrad, level 16.
Havent travelled to the other Island yet (Skellige?) And I also have both expansions.

Countless hours of playing are still ahead of you. If I recall correctly, reaching low 30-ish level is advised for the first expansion. And when you'll be done with the second one too, you'll be in low 50-ies.

Countless hours of playing are still ahead of you. If I recall correctly, reaching low 30-ish level is advised for the first expansion. And when you'll be done with the second one too, you'll be in low 50-ies.
Savage. Thanks for that. I was reading posts earlier and saw total playtime closing down on 500hrs for some.
I checked mine and have 40hrs as it stands, so yeah.. long way to go.
There was a moment I thought I finished all the quests on first island, had was just a few small ones left. Felt like a bit of a dead end.
I thought ill finish them off and head to the second island. The minute I started touching them it was like sticking my foot into ants nest. One lead to another, couple appeared on the way and now im drowning in stuff to do.

@Emroth I don't know how many hours mine was as I bought it from GOG. All I know is my continuous game saves go from 05/12/17 to 13/6/18 and I seem to recall playing it on probably 3 or 4 days most weeks for at least an hour or two a time, sometimes longer, you know what it's like - I'll just finish this quest, oh actually this one looks good...

@Emroth I don't know how many hours mine was as I bought it from GOG. All I know is my continuous game saves go from 05/12/17 to 13/6/18 and I seem to recall playing it on probably 3 or 4 days most weeks for at least an hour or two a time, sometimes longer, you know what it's like - I'll just finish this quest, oh actually this one looks good...
Yeah, its not easy to commit to one game for such period of time. Especially now, with work and family.
Also, football games were always my "curse". At some stage I just wanted to get a football fix and I was sucked in for weeks then.
Saving grace for Witcher is the fact they put so much effort into each, even smallest quest. They are all interesting.
The one with a baron, his missing wife and Witches from the Bog was good enough to be main storyline in separate game.

I know games like Elder Scrolls will give you more freedom to create your own character and his path, but they always felt a bit shallow to me. And I couldnt stick to them for longer.
Pes20 demo will be a big test, altho I could really use a break from football games altogether..

Yeah that Baron story was great, like you say good enough and longer than some games in their own right! You are so right in that earlier post as well about how sometimes the choice is just the lesser of two evils.

SPOILERS:
But What the hell you supposed to do when you are looking for the wife? :D "investigate the clues in the city" went through the whole 3 times and talked to everyone :D

SPOILERS:
But What the hell you supposed to do when you are looking for the wife? :D "investigate the clues in the city" went through the whole 3 times and talked to everyone :D
I honestly dont remember now, pal.
Im sure there are some online guides that can give you a little dig out and pin point the person you missed (id say its most likely only one crucial person that would push the story further).
I remember that this quest started of slow (also - a bit of a pain in the ass), but once it gained wind it blew me away.
(And, without giving anything away, it was the first quest, that really showed me how every choice I made had consequences)

Just passing by - one of the main elf mages looks like Griezmann and one of the quest givers, baron something something with a bunch of other guys that have a haircut like him, looks like Beckham.

Looking at that 500 hours for a single playthrough number and wondering what the heck could have those players been doing ... then I remembered that I gave wide berth to all gwent-related quests (a.k.a become the top card player in each major area).

Could it be that all that gwenting took them 300-ish hours? :)

My previous 477 hour count is inaccurate, as it is the in game timer, I think that Playstation thing they did a while back where you could see your stats put it somewhere just below 400 instead.
But I never touched Gwent, apart from the couple of times that I had to.
Had a quick jump into the game two nights ago, level 52 (after completing everything) and went to Velen to finish a level 6 mission I had apparently wussed out on ages ago. It was quite humorous to watch Geralt plough through a gang of murderous elves without so much as breaking a sweat, maybe I will go for a bit of a "question mark clearing" run just for the fun of it, I seem to have countless undiscovered locations left, even with my insane hour count.

Right. I finished most of the quests (that were similar level to mine) and at lvl19 I headed towards Skellige.
Havent really go anywhere yet, just (crash)landed on the beach.
But have to say one thing - as good as this game looked at the first island, second island is jaw dropping. Skellige looks absolutely amazing. Even music is stunning there.
And the size of it! I thought its gonna be just a small, additional island! Its as big, if not bigger than Velen! Lots of fun awaits!

Ps.
Dialog, in one of the last missions I did in Velen, that got me in stitches laughing:
- did you search the body?
- well... yeah... i mean... i searched the pockets and stuff... you wouldnt want anything to go to waste...
- I call a spade a spade - you rob corpses.
- I call a prick a prick! Its none of your fucking concern!
:LOL: :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom