Manchester United
Cover:
392214-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-xbox-one-front-cover.jpeg
Platforms: PC/PS4/Xbox One/Nintendo Switch
Release Date: 19 May 2015

Developer: CD Project/CD Project Red
Genre: Action/Adventure

Description:
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is a 2015 action role-playing game developed and published by CD Projekt and based on The Witcher series of fantasy novels by Andrzej Sapkowski. It is the sequel to the 2011 game The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, played in an open world with a third-person perspective

The Witcher 3 is Official

Screenshots of next-gen RPG The Witcher 3

And yes, it's open world.

Videos:

Last edited by a moderator:
Still haven't played the 2nd one! :)

Wasn't overly impressed with the screenshots but then read this:

This is a next-gen project but don't expect visual miracles - at least not yet. The images you see are current in-game assets running on internal PC development hardware, apparently. The part of the engine that translates all that into what you see on screen will boast "significant improvements" by the time the game ships in 2014, noted GameInformer

Last edited:
I bought the second one, it was much too difficult for me. I've always siad that one day i will try it again...

I started playing it on the big screen but found it a little overwhelming with all the stuff I needed to learn for the combat/magic etc. etc. so meant to continue it on the monitor until I got up to speed with how everything works.

I think half of the fun of The Witcher 2 for me was how beautiful it was, I've never screencapped a game so often.

TW2 looked amazing, I enjoyed it up until end of act1 then the story and game just went too much for me. I mean i enjoy a good movie but this game was taking the biscuit, huge cut scenes, to many plots, characters, storylines, dialogues to read, listen to..on and on...ANyway i lost my save game and dont have the will to replay it though I want to do both paths ioverth and the other guy..mmm maybe ill come back to it

I bought the second one, it was much too difficult for me. I've always siad that one day i will try it again...

I'm playing The Witcher 2 right now, and I almost gave up on the game at first because it was crazy hard. That said, I began the game on 'Hard' difficulty, so ended up on 'Normal' difficulty and it was much better. Once you get past the Prologue and into Chapter 1, upgrade some swords, armour and a few more abilities, the game seems to have become much easier.

I'm really enjoying it though, the story's great and unlike the likes of Mass Effect, I hear that certain choices you make radically alter the whole game in the second half. So much so, you operate on different sides of the map depending on who you side with.

Can't wait for Witcher 3 already though. The developers are promising the largest open-world game ever made, to the point where you'll need to sail, Wind Waker-style, to access certain areas. I just hope that doesn't detract from the story though. The Witcher 2 isn't open-world at all, but focuses on the story, so I do hope that the slight change of style doesn't alter the quality of the story.

Last edited:
I don't know how many of you have read the book saga it is based on, but don't play any of the games if you plan to read them. I read all the 7 books (quite short ones, actually) this summer and I loved them. Never thought I would like them but a friend told me to, and he was right.

Now, about the games, they happen AFTER everything in the books, so you will be totally spoilered of the books if you play them.

If you don't care for the books, the 2nd game (I never had the chance to play the first one) is very very good. It combines adventure, combat, rpg and a lot of story. What is amazing is the fidelity of the characters and dialogues to those in the novels. Even for book readers like me the game throws a massive world with massive information, and if you don't really know what is a witcher and what is a sorceress and the implications between them, or the back story that it's in the books, then you will for sure miss a lot of the greatness of the game.

But then, I loved the 2nd and I'm sure I will love the third!

Yeah I've just finished the second Witcher game so I'm well up for this third installment.

One side note about RPGs that kinda annoys me though, is the levelling up system. You spend all game trying to get the better abilities, and the moment you do, the game is over. I know it might make it a bit too easy but at least let you play around with your new abilities just a little bit?

That aside, The Witcher 2 was a brilliant, adult, plot-heavy game (one that lost me on a few occasions due to me coming into the series cold). I can't wait to see how the new hardware is going to treat the third game.

Oh and Drekkard, what did you do at the end?

Did you fight Letho? I chose to let him go, at no point did I ever really see him as an enemy. And he helped Triss at the end before turning her back over. Just kinda felt that through the game I saw a lot more people Geralt should be more wary of to be honest. Though, thinking about it, I was pretty lenient with a lot of characters throughout the game.

Last edited:
My PC just can't fun the Witcher 2 well enough for it to be fun. Sucks, cause I quite liked the first one, and think 2 would be great, but will have to wait for a more powerful computer!

My PC just can't fun the Witcher 2 well enough for it to be fun. Sucks, cause I quite liked the first one, and think 2 would be great, but will have to wait for a more powerful computer!

did you try playing it with ubersampling turned off? I have a pretty powerful system and run everything at high settings but ubersampling just kills it. Turning that off made all the difference.

super excited about an open world Witcher game btw. The one thing I always hated about 1 and 2 was the inability to free roam and always have to stick to the preset paths. Always felt kinda stupid to not be able to clim on certain big rocks etc but then to come across a lil bush and having it block your way.

I cannot wait for this one.
Hopefully this time Geralt will be powerful much quicker.

Witcher 2 still makes my modest PC go crazy like no other game (in terms of fan speed), so I'd expect an open world version to be even more demanding. Wouldn't have it any other way though, gives me a reason to upgrade :P

The Witcher series is one if my favourite action RPG series. Fantastic story, can't wait to get this going on the next gen hardware as I've never been able to play it with all the bells and whistles and shiny graphics.

Luckily I can play the 2nd one on Ultra everything with a couple of mods to reduce LOD switching and add more grass etc, easily the best looking RPG I've played and the gameplay is decent as well :)

It isn't really that difficult, but it's not a game where massive attack-button mashing is a very effective strategy either. Use potions to increase your speed (slows everyone else down really) and fight defensively against numbers. There are some really nifty signs as well. One of them (can't remember name) pushes back and knocks down opponents which is really effective to avoid swarming. In the novels, Geralt is a man who takes every advantage he has to get the job done and you should do the same when playing as him. This is not a game where buffs and magic is a funny side activity, it's essential for success especially until you've mastered the melee part of the game. I'd still focus heavily into the sword fighting skill tree though, it makes stuff much easier. Without mods, the alchemy tree is more or less useless.

I struggled at first myself, but once I got the hang of it the game was quite satisfying. There was only one fight I never really got the hang of, and it's quite early against another witcher type. I always needed luck to get that one done.

THe Witcher 2 Nexus (http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher2/?) have a few "must have" mods for the game as well, as there are some incredibly stupid design choices in the stock game. CEO (Complete Equipment Overhaul) and Full Combat Rebalance (Made by a CDProject employee) are more or less essential. There are also mods that allow you to buy most equipment from the beginning as long as you can afford it. That would make the game much easier, and to be honest, this game is much more about having a good story and some difficult choices, so it's really not cheating if it makes the game better for you.

I'm writing all of this from memory, I haven't played the game since a few months after it released but it's a memorable game. Admittedly, The Witcher Enhanced is a much better game in many ways.. that one is also much easier to master. I recently replayed that one, and it's one of the best RPG's ever made. The story is great, the combat is great and the character development is great (even better with a few mods) so it's actually better than the glorified Torment where only the story part is good and only if you read yourself to death.

Last edited:
To be honest i'm not a fan of fantasy RPG. However I still bought the first two games just to show my support to these wonderful guys.

Also don't forget to visit their sister company site, http://www.gog.com/ for DRM-free classics and indie releases.

New screenshots

KRQvPve.jpg

Click for full size:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom