Exeter City
Cover:
321748-the-witness-playstation-4-front-cover.jpg

Platforms: PS4/Xbox One/PC/Mobile
Release Date: 26Jan2016

Developer: Johnathan Blow/Thekla Inc.
Genre: Puzzle Video Game

Description:
The Witness is a 3D puzzle video game created by Jonathan Blow, developed and published by Thekla, Inc.
It's a single-player game in an open world with dozens of locations to explore and over 500 puzzles.

Been getting some very good review scores as well as a perfect 10 from IGN.
Have not played the game but tempted to buy it soon.

Inspired by Myst, The Witness has the player explore an open world island filled with a number of natural and man-made structures. The player progresses by solving puzzles which are based on interactions with mazes presented on panels around the island. The rules and outcomes of solving the individual mazes are part of the puzzles that the player will have to come to learn themselves through both visual clues around the island and through audio logs that the player can find. Blow aimed to include as little instruction as possible, wanting to have players come to understand the rules of these puzzles for themselves and coming to moments of realization while exploring the island. The final game has about 650 total puzzles to be solved, though the player is not required to solve them all to finish the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
This was never on my radar but like the sound of it. Am away with work til tomorrow then will buy it.

Sounds very interesting.

Anything vaguely indie with high review scores I'm very wary of, after buying "Her Story" and finding it to be the most boring load of shite I'd ever bought, but if anyone plays this, leave a review here please!

Heard puzzle island and my mind swelled with Myst nostalgia, so am downloading it now. If I get a chance to play today will include comments

This thing is beautiful, but so far the puzzles I've done are all same-y. Stunning design though, walking around is kind of therapeutic.

What's wrong with £30?
For maze puzzles?!

I really liked the look of it, but when you see the gameplay, that is literally all it is.

You know what it reminds me of? This new trend of "colouring books for grown-ups".

Very nice to look at, but it's 100% maze puzzles from what I've seen, and read.

It's not for me...

Last edited:
I have no idea why, but it's incredibly addicting. It really is just similar puzzles opening new paths, but the environment and visuals make it somehow captivating.

Great game, marvellous, smart design and beautiful graphics. One of the best game experiences of the last months for me.

Just revisiting this thread to recommend it to everyone. First hour or so it feels like it's going to be repetitive but work through that and it's utterly engaging. A unique experience, I've discovered things and felt like calling out to my wife to explain how clever I am. Then realising no one cares.

Just going to add the game goes on a bit too long, but the ending is totally worth achieving.

Spectacular game, if a bit too long in the end. Loved the environment puzzles, got dead sick of the grid puzzles.

Fin to read this review 3-4 years later,played it in 2019,and I loved it.
Design and atmosphere is really one of a kind,reminds me of Rime a lot,and tough as hell too

Back
Top Bottom