The World Cup... the greatest show on earth

Was he that outstanidng left back Brazil had in some WC???
Brazil have a tradition of brilliant left backs: Carlos Alberto, Francisco Marinho, i think Josimar, the one with the thunderous shot (can't remeber his name, but not ROBERTO CARLOS) and my favourite one, and now i'm pretty ridiculous because i don't remeber his name either.
Now he's a director with AC Milan and he played for Milan and PSG (as a forward)...he played in the 1994 and was sent off in one match...

fd1972uk said:
I also remember a good part of 82 (only 10), with that great Brazil team, for me they where the best team I ever watched that never won the tournament. That team was full of some unbelievable players.
FD

Totally agree with you mate...that fabulous Eder goal against Scotland (that Scottish GK was pathetic) in a beautiful match...
One of the best groups i ever saw: Brazil, USSR, Scotland (very good) and New Zealand (even they were good)...

PS: how are you my friend, catching some sleep (for those who don't know: FD has become father of a daughter a couple of weeks ago)

Stan said:
Brazil have a tradition of brilliant left backs: Carlos Alberto, Francisco Marinho, i think Josimar, the one with the thunderous shot (can't remeber his name, but not ROBERTO CARLOS) and my favourite one, and now i'm pretty ridiculous because i don't remeber his name either.
Now he's a director with AC Milan and he played for Milan and PSG (as a forward)...he played in the 1994 and was sent off in one match...

Isnt that Leanardo mate, he elbowed Tab Ramos (USA) in the second round at USA 94.

db

BRAvsUSA.6.0704.gif

Leonardo is a legend. Also a very nice guy, does alot of charity work around Milan. His daughter goes to my school too.

He was great with MIlan, a fan favourite, and now a scout (he got us Kaka, Dida and Serginho).

Yes my friends i meant the great elegant Leonardo...

Off-topic, but who cares: Milanista i'm reading the definitivebook about Italian football: Calcio - a history of Italian football by John Foot.
It is not really ahistory, the book is thematic; the early years, big clubs in big cities, referees, defenders, CMF's,....
Everybody who likes Italian football will like this book...i'm really eating this book like a cannibal would eat his mother in law...

For me, my favourite moment from recent world cup has got to be when Ray Houghtan sent a roaring half volley over the head over Pagliuca in USA 1994 to secure a shock win for Ireland. Great Stuff!!!! :applause:

IREvsITA.4.0618.gif

IREvsITA.6.0618.gif

\\:o/ \\:o/ \\:o/ \\:o/ \\:o/ \\:o/ \\:o/ \\:o/ \\:o/ \\:o/ \\:o/ \\:o/ \\:o/ \\:o/

Stan said:

The one with a thunderous shot = Branco?

I guess you all know Branco's story during the match between Argentina and Brazil in Italy 90. :roll: :lmao:

I'll tell you, in case you haven't heard of it:
Argentina and Brazil were playing and Brazil was attacking in every possible way. The first half ended 0-0 and it was a miracle.
Bilardo, Argentina's coach and quite a colorful character, said absolutely nothing to the players during the 15 minutes break. And suddenly, when the team was going out of the locker to play the 2nd half, he gave his only indication: "guys, don't pass the ball to the guys in yellow any more.. ok?":lmao: What a genius this guy Bilardo.

Anyway, 2nd half begun. And here's the story with branco.
Argentina had their water supply, and they put a mix of different laxatives (to make you want to go to the bathroom) in one of their water gallons. It was hot as hell, and when a player got injury, our waterboy went in, bringing the gallons. Players from both side went to drink from our water, and when Olarticoechea was about to drink from the poisoned gallon, he was told not to.
Branco took the gallon and started drinking. Years after, Maradona remembered the eppisode saying "Such a hot day... Branco has his mouth opened like a hippopotamus".
Bottom line is, Argentina won 1-0 (thanks to a magicall play by Maradona, who was medically unable to play, turned into goal by Caniggia) and Branco always said that something weird happened to him during that game.

Like.. 15 years later, many Argentina 90 players recognized the cheat and... hell even Bilardo admits it.

Ok now.. hand of god, Branco's gallon.. at least we don't win tournaments because Fifa orders so. You know... getting all those referee favours... it's a question of marketing and profits.

Anyway, who will you support this year in the final between Germany and Brazil? :roll:

Stan said:

Wasn't Leandro a midfielder? Didn't remember him at full-back. Remember Branco, though.

p.s. Gerd, yep she's fine mate, sleep isn't too bad. Might all change when she teeth's though. :(

FD

Back
Top Bottom