the Zlatan Ibrahimovic thread

Kanouté

#NewEra
26 April 2008
I made a little research on how he did (especially scoring-wise) in big games in his career. the "big games" are the quarter final games and beyond for me (of course, this is my opinion).

Champions League
99/00, 00/01 malmö --- non-existent in european tournaments

01/02 ajax --- 3rd qualifying round; Uefa Cup 2nd round
02/03 ajax --- quarter final, 2 games, no goal
03/04 ajax --- last in the group stage

04/05, 05/06 juve --- quarter final, 4 games, no goal

06/07, 07/08, 08/09 inter --- round of 16

09/10 barça --- quarter final, 1 game, 2 goals; semi final, 2 games, no goal.
10/11 milan --- round of 16
11/12 milan --- quarter final, 2 games, no goal
12/13 psg --- quarter final, 2 games, 1 goal(off-side)
National Team
2002 - round of 16 (he was a young bench-warmer)
2004 - quarter final, no goal (also, one of the two penalty missing players for sweden in the shootout)
2006 - round of 16
2008 - 3rd in the group stage
2010 - did not qualify
2012 - last in the group stage

as for CL totals; 12 years, 6 quarter finals + 1 semi final, 13 games, 3 goals.
amongst these games, the only one his team won when he played is the 2nd leg of 2010 semi final where they were eliminated. the same year, the quarter final game he scored 2 goals against arsenal was a draw, in the other one he didn't play barcelona won 4-1.

as for NT career; maybe it can be said that it's almost non-existent. but I know that's not just down to him alone. maybe he would have been born as a spaniard, a german or an italian and been a winner, that wasn't a matter of choice for him, of course.

as for his Local League successes; yes, it's quite impressive but tbh with you I don't find it that impressive. he's almost always played for the dominant teams of their leagues in certain times. ajax had great players, juve before calciopoli was a galacticos, inter after calcipoli too, barcelona (we know it), milan before juve reborn, psg (we know it again). he played for such teams, yet his best achievement in champions league is just a single semi-final.

Zlatan is a fantastically gifted player (there's no doubt) and I always liked to watch him play and score some incredible goals, but actually liked to watch him play in less important games. IMO, unfortunately he's by no means a big game player. almost always did harm his own team more than doing the opponents in those games. I think he shouldn't really go down as a legendary player when he's done with football.

maybe it's still too early to speak all these things. because PSG have a fantastic team at the moment, when all players healthy, they have a squad that can really match with the semi final 4 of the last year. they showed glimpses of it last year, and now they also added a great, great player in Cavani as well. Marquinhos also is a great talent, easily a top defender for future. and among all their summer moves, Laurent Blanc can even be the best addition they did. it wouldn't be a huge suprise to me, if they make it to the semi final this year, at least.

so, that's all for the moment. :)

Last edited:
Re: Zlatan Ibrahimovic: Worse than many people think or even much worse?

It is interesting, but from what I have seen from him he offers more than goals imo.

I think I saw more of him with his time at Ac and his link up play was great and he bought a lot of other players into games etc.

He has been at top teams, but to have the record he has in League success speaks volumes to me and consistency.

He is one of the greatest strikers in the game today no doubt most teams would love to have him.

As for legendary world status, I don't think he will get it, mainly because he plays for Sweden and also his lack of Champions league success.

But There is no doubt in todays game he is easily one of the top strikers.

He would walk into almost any lineup in the world unless Pep is the manager. He wins trophies everywhere he goes. He is pulling his weight and more to win those trophies. He is legendary.

Statistics means nothing, but if you want to talk stats you should start from 2009 and then on, because before he met Mourinho he was just a showman; he fancied tricks over the end product and Mourinho was the one who turned him into a 20+ goals per season striker.

Zlatan is much more than the goals he scored or helped creating, it's a show! Every touch, every comment he makes gives him an edge over his opponents. Intimidation man, that's the Zlatan way. He seems to become a better leader with age and he takes his responsibilities more now, I think deep down he knows that every opportunity he gets might be the last one.

As hard as he tries to live in people'smemory he will always be a very good player but never one of the greats. In some ways he did himself no favors by fostering his bad boy image. When I hear his name I think of what a dick wad he is.. Not how good of a player.
Sup with Ajax developing pricks of players anyway.

Love his goals, skills and the confidence that he has - takes no crap from anyone.

At Milan his assists were what made the team win. He scored a lot too, but it's his assisting. He's arrogant but professional - always does the job and sets people up if not himself.

Statistics means nothing, but if you want to talk stats you should start from 2009 and then on, because before he met Mourinho he was just a showman; he fancied tricks over the end product and Mourinho was the one who turned him into a 20+ goals per season striker.

Zlatan is much more than the goals he scored or helped creating, it's a show! Every touch, every comment he makes gives him an edge over his opponents. Intimidation man, that's the Zlatan way. He seems to become a better leader with age and he takes his responsibilities more now, I think deep down he knows that every opportunity he gets might be the last one.

In his book he actually credits Capello for this.

Last edited:

It is interesting, but from what I have seen from him he offers more than goals imo.

I think I saw more of him with his time at Ac and his link up play was great and he bought a lot of other players into games etc.

He has been at top teams, but to have the record he has in League success speaks volumes to me and consistency.

He is one of the greatest strikers in the game today no doubt most teams would love to have him.

As for legendary world status, I don't think he will get it, mainly because he plays for Sweden and also his lack of Champions league success.

But There is no doubt in todays game he is easily one of the top strikers.

sums up what i wanted to say..he is a powerfull striker that makes things happend as well with assists and much more..

As hard as he tries to live in people'smemory he will always be a very good player but never one of the greats. In some ways he did himself no favors by fostering his bad boy image. When I hear his name I think of what a dick wad he is.. Not how good of a player.
Sup with Ajax developing pricks of players anyway.

maybe also being unlucky not to win CL so far.. and the fact he playes for Sweden, not Italy..etc, but we could find more examples like that.. imo he is the most complete striker and most technicall one in last 20 years. Up there with the best.

He is a genius, but as a manager i would not want him in my team.

IMO the very best football (except perhaps a GK) can make their team better and can make every other player a better player. Cruijff, Beckenbauer, Platini, Zidane and Pele all had this. Maradonna and Best not (that is why despite their very obvious talent imo they are a cut below all those other players and i know 99% of you will vehemently disagrre with me and will considers this blatant nonsense, but that is my personal opinion).

And to be fair i'm beginning to have my doubts about Messi too. Over the years Barcelona became far too dependent of Messi. I think it would be very good for both Barcelona and Messi if he would go to another team...

The best teams i've seen did not have absolute super players like Maradonna, Messi, Ronaldo (both of them) and Best.

The teams i really rate very high are Cruijff's Ajax, Sacchi's Milan, Prosinecki and co's Red Star Belgrade, Beckenbauer's Bayern Munich, Cantona's Man Utd, Platini's Juventus.

Puskas' Real Madrid must have been one of the best teams ever too, just like River Plate's la maquina, but i'm too young to have seen those teams.

So yes, Zlatan is a great player, but for me he is cut beneath the players i mentioned. Also look how he performed in big tournaments: EC, WC and CL...he underachieved (now that i have said this, PSG will win the CL this year of course).

Sounds like you've summed up Rooney more than Zlatan here to be fair.

I didn't want to comment yesterday being his birthday n all. I see him like a hot smokin wife that loves being looked at n desired by others. As faithful as she may be ,she loves the attention n thrives on it. It's never about the marriage but her!

In his book he actually credits Capello for this.

Really? I wasn't aware of this.
I still haven't read his book yet due to a certain anxiety, but now I'll definitely read it ASAP.

Really? I wasn't aware of this.
I still haven't read his book yet due to a certain anxiety, but now I'll definitely read it ASAP.

He says Capello made him practice his finishing with Del Piero and Trezeguet after training every day.

I do believe he has went missing in big games, but by god can he score some incredible goals.

It'll be interesting to see Sweden and Portugal go head-to-head, or should I say Zlatan v Ronaldo.

FD

anyone see the goal he scored this weekend? HOlly SHIT!!!

LOL, yep piece of brilliance against Bastia.

FD

Anderlecht stadium reaction after Zlatan hat trick, fantastic !!

The most incredible striker around.

Show me another player like this.

Black belt in tae-kwon-do and trains regularly.

Plus he is 195cm tall I believe, weights around 91-93kg and is not only agile, he is a trickster. He has technique on par with C. Ronaldo/Messi with his height/weight it's not an easy feat to pull off!

Add to that some magic assists he can make (like that overhead pass when he played in Inter :O) or that moment from Barcelona:

YouTube - Ibrahimovic Magic

Sure it was called illegal play, but you get the point ;).

People probably hate on him, because of his game played/goals scored ratio or because of how self-centered he is, but who cares?! Football will miss this guy when he finally retires. ;]

what was it ? and 3 great goals , special last one!

Ibra its world class striker , I really DISLIKE this guy but I have to say he's one of best ever I saw , after Ronaldo (real Ronaldo not Christina)

to bad he never played in England so far..hopefully one day for LFC :D

he is in his own class.

He scored a hat trick against the youngest team ever to play in the CL. Anderlecht are currently 5th in the Jupiller league...

The 3th goal was a beauty, but this is a club in crisis.

Well Anderlecht seem to have more goals than the 4 teams ahead of them in table..but with 9 more goals scored against than Standard.. still they have a chance to be better at a place in the end i think..

:LOL: I think ol' Zlats is out to get you, Kanoute.

He scored a hat trick against the youngest team ever to play in the CL. Anderlecht are currently 5th in the Jupiller league...

The 3th goal was a beauty, but this is a club in crisis.
4 goals tonight Gerd, but i mean the fair play of the belgium fans after the third Zlatan goal it's great, nothing about the level of Anderlecht.

Back
Top Bottom