Tiger Woods 2008 (360)

Re: Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2007 (360)

How about the lag? I havent played an online game with 07 yet? Last years lag was atrocious!

DJ

What a brilliant game.

But... The putting system makes me want to kill people. I've had game rage before but nothing like this, I would seriously kill one of the programmers if I knew they had no children to support and I could get away with it.

If the putt distance doesn't end in zero (give or take 3 feet either way) and/or isn't within 40ft then you just can't judge it properly. You are totally fucked. Why? If you're hitting e.g. a 50ft putt, you have to use the 80ft "strength" (the 40ft "strength" obviously isn't strong enough), but how the hell do you judge how much of a "swing" to give it? You give it what feels like three quarters of a swing and it either goes ten foot short or ten foot past.

Admittedly, I'm playing the game on the highest difficulty, but it's totally unfair and that's the one thing I hate the most about games. On this difficulty, even the driving is screwed. You must go one micron to the left/right and the ball will fly off and hit one of the virtual spectators in the face. I want it to be difficult but not to the point of being insanely, ridiculously harsh. I've found myself doing tiny little swings and getting distances of 180 yards because I'm scared that if I hit it full power, it will end up anywhere (which it always does).

I can't stop playing it, but at some point or another, the pad is going to get smashed over someone's head.

Last edited:

What a brilliant game.

But... The putting system makes me want to kill people. I've had game rage before but nothing like this, I would seriously kill one of the programmers if I knew they had no children to support and I could get away with it.

If the putt distance doesn't end in zero (give or take 3 feet either way) and/or isn't within 40ft then you just can't judge it properly. You are totally fucked. Why? If you're hitting e.g. a 50ft putt, you have to use the 80ft "strength" (the 40ft "strength" obviously isn't strong enough), but how the hell do you judge how much of a "swing" to give it? You give it what feels like three quarters of a swing and it either goes ten foot short or ten foot past.

Admittedly, I'm playing the game on the highest difficulty, but it's totally unfair and that's the one thing I hate the most about games. On this difficulty, even the driving is screwed. You must go one micron to the left/right and the ball will fly off and hit one of the virtual spectators in the face. I want it to be difficult but not to the point of being insanely, ridiculously harsh. I've found myself doing tiny little swings and getting distances of 180 yards because I'm scared that if I hit it full power, it will end up anywhere (which it always does).

I can't stop playing it, but at some point or another, the pad is going to get smashed over someone's head.

I have played the game on Tour Pro difficulty from the very start and my stats are now maxed at 110% now that I have finished the Tiger Challenge. It is a consistant challenge all the way through, even with maxed out stats it is still tough at times.

The putting is difficult, but you do get used to it, I rattle putts 15ft past the cup from time to time but you soon learn how to adjust. Go into the training and work on all the various aspects, it really does help. The part about the game I found MOST annoying was inconsistancy of striking the ball. Sometimes I could hit it 240yards, other times it would only go 180 even though I did what I thought was the exact same swing.

It is a cracking game though, I have to get on with the PGA Tour mode now :)

Does anyone else notice in certain situations, i.e approach shots, that for some reason it limits you to use only your wedges?

I dont no if its a bug or what but its well annoying and sometimes if theres a water hazard you cant even clear the gap!

Yeah I've noticed that a few times. :(

The game is fabulous, but I get the feeling by the time I've trained my golfer up to 100% the online players will have moved onto Rainbow Six: Vegas or the game after that (and I'm guessing it's a waste of time going online with a 45% trained golfer - and there's no way I'm going to pay real money to max him out either). :(

Still, it's very good and very addictive. And very frustrating, actually, one of the few games that really gets my back up when you mishit a shot; so much so that I had a dream the other night of hitting that Felicia Brown in the face with my driver. It was brilliant.

Does anyone else notice in certain situations, i.e approach shots, that for some reason it limits you to use only your wedges?

I dont no if its a bug or what but its well annoying and sometimes if theres a water hazard you cant even clear the gap!

Make sure the shot type isn't set to "pitch", if it is then it will only default to your wedges. Press X to change the shot type.

I actually find im pretty good with my Putts. I also work very hard on my green approach to try and give my self the easiest put possible. The longest put ive sunk so far is like 38Foot.

DJ

I'm really coming along with this now; it still annoys me though, when you've got to hit a distance that isn't the exact distance of a club, you've got a lot of work on. The putter options go 10ft, 20ft, 40ft, 80ft - if I have e.g. a 60ft putt, you have to use the 80ft option, and it doesn't seem to matter what I do, it will either go 20ft or 80ft. And the same applies for pitch shots, you either select a mile short or a mile past.

How do you do half a shot, do you do the whole swing slower, do you pull back half the way and forward half the way, do you pull the stick all the way back and forward but in slow motion, do you pull the stick all the way back and forward but in fast forward...?

Come to think of it, how are you supposed to swing? Flick the stick hard back, wait until it's at the top of the swing and then flick it hard forward, or match the rhythm on the screen (i.e. pull back slowly, and then push forward hard, as with a real swing)?

The only thing I dont like about this game now is the whole after-touch/ Spin tapping the bumper part of the game. Its unrealistic as anything and I wish EA wouldnt do stupid things like that, like FIFA Street where you have Game Breakers which allow you to produce bullshit shots :)

DJ

The only thing I dont like about this game now is the whole after-touch/ Spin tapping the bumper part of the game. Its unrealistic as anything and I wish EA wouldnt do stupid things like that, like FIFA Street where you have Game Breakers which allow you to produce bullshit shots :)

DJ

Switch it OFF then! Don't whine about a feature that can be disabled, you are not forced to use it. I haven't used it at all because I don't like it, however; if people want to use it as it is a "game" after all, then so be it.

And FFS, FIFA Street is an arcade representation of street footie, Game Breakers are there to enhance the fun of the game. I don't see anything wrong with that as it isn't trying to be a simulation game.

Tiger 07 manages to get the balance right this time around. It isn't 100% simulation like Links 2003 on the PC, sometimes that can feel like a chore to play, then again it isn't so arcadey it becomes dull to play. I think EA have done a good job.

I'm really coming along with this now; it still annoys me though, when you've got to hit a distance that isn't the exact distance of a club, you've got a lot of work on. The putter options go 10ft, 20ft, 40ft, 80ft - if I have e.g. a 60ft putt, you have to use the 80ft option, and it doesn't seem to matter what I do, it will either go 20ft or 80ft. And the same applies for pitch shots, you either select a mile short or a mile past.

How do you do half a shot, do you do the whole swing slower, do you pull back half the way and forward half the way, do you pull the stick all the way back and forward but in slow motion, do you pull the stick all the way back and forward but in fast forward...?

Come to think of it, how are you supposed to swing? Flick the stick hard back, wait until it's at the top of the swing and then flick it hard forward, or match the rhythm on the screen (i.e. pull back slowly, and then push forward hard, as with a real swing)?

Putting is tough when you are in the middle of the power area, so a 60ft putt for 80ft power. I generally look at the % of the shot as well as the gradiant. Add 1ft to every 1" uphill and subtract the same for every 1" down. It becomes much easier that way.

I swing like I do in real life, with a consistant rhythm. You don't gain anything in the game or in real life for swinging the club really quickly on you backswing. The power comes in the downswing. It is really hard to tell you how to judge a shot, just like it would be hard for me to tell you how to hit the shot in real life. It just takes practice, feel and a bit of luck.

Switch it OFF then! Don't whine about a feature that can be disabled, you are not forced to use it. I haven't used it at all because I don't like it, however; if people want to use it as it is a "game" after all, then so be it.

And FFS, FIFA Street is an arcade representation of street footie, Game Breakers are there to enhance the fun of the game. I don't see anything wrong with that as it isn't trying to be a simulation game.

Tiger 07 manages to get the balance right this time around. It isn't 100% simulation like Links 2003 on the PC, sometimes that can feel like a chore to play, then again it isn't so arcadey it becomes dull to play. I think EA have done a good job.
Its replies like this that make me wonder why I bother posting here!

In fact I think I might just leave after this post.

DJ

The reason I responded like that was because that is the 3rd time you have mentioned the Spin/Power options in this thread - it wears a little thin when you repeat yourself over and over again.

How about using a PM and having a quite word with me? rather than being a complete arsehole about it? in fact this isnt the 1st time you have been like this to me... how an earth did you become a moderator? id love to know how.

DJ

Nope the after power and spin is still present and I agree it shouldnt really be there as in real life you cant add after touch to a golf ball. I personally like the putting system, you have to judge the pace and the breaks of the ball from left to right yourself.

DJ

Yep it is but im with the other guys I would love it if another Links game appears on Xbox well in this case 360. Tiger Woods is a good laugh but if you want something with a bit more depth then Links is your game. For Example on Tiger the whole Aftertouch Ball Spinning that you can do is bullshit! you cant do that in real life the only way you can spin the ball is when you first hit the shot.

DJ

DJ
Those are 3 posts of yours over the last couple of weeks,
I think we now get your point

Again was it really necessary for you to point it out so that everyone can see? I dont think so.

DJ

Again was it really necessary for you to point it out so that everyone can see? I dont think so.

DJ

So everyone can see what?

All he is sayin is you keep bringin up the same irrelevant point about the spin and power. I personally thing it is a good feature to have the option for an enable/disable. I leave the power boost on as this is true to life in my opinion, every golfer tries to add as much power as the can muster in real life dont they?

As for spin, it some times a good laugh to have it on, when playing multiplayer with your mates for example. On single player I turn it off.

As Lemonjelly said, theres no need to keep raising a point that can be easily disabled if you look in the options menu or manual.

I leave the power boost on as this is true to life in my opinion, every golfer tries to add as much power as the can muster in real life dont they?

Agreed. Professional golfers hit their shots at about 85% power, they leave a certain amount in reserve so that when they want to hammer it they can. They wouldn't hit it really hard everytime as they would lose too much accuracy over an entire round.

That's it, the game is gone. I was up to 60% and no matter what I did (I even moved down a notch from Tour difficulty to Hard), Annika Sorenstam would always, always finish three holes one shot ahead of me (involving some incredible shot that she would hit at most once a month in real life) and win, while I can name at least three holes in the game that I can never get a par on, because the shot will go nowhere near the aim marker (there's a hole on Pebble Beach, with a clump of rocks to the left of the fairway - I aim for the fairway and it hits those rocks EVERY FUCKING TIME). I lost it before and thought "I won't weigh up the shots, I'll just hit the ball full whack with whatever it suggests", and they were going closer than they would have if I'd have altered the shot according to the lie and the weather.

I was really enjoying the game but there's just too many glitches to make it a great game. I mean I even started looking ONLY at the pad to make sure I was hitting all of my shots straight, and I guarantee you I did because I was hitting them that slowly to make sure, and yet in the game the ball would fly off to the left or the right. Typical Pro-Evo-style AI, "uh-oh, he's doing everything right, it's time to make his shots go wrong". I've never experience game-rage like this before, I've literally smashed two cups* and bruised my right foot from kicking the wall out of the frustration of trying to get a par, watching the ball sail off to the left and then waiting five seconds for the game to come up with "Sorenstam wins the hole" (how does it take so long to render a line of text?!) and ten seconds to load the next. It's not good for my health.

Links forever. Rainbow Six Vegas here I come.

* - I selected two old tea-stained cups and took them outside to throw against the wall, I didn't throw them at somebody or anything like that, I'm not quite that violent yet; although saying that, if I ever see Annika in real life, she'd better fucking run

Last edited:

The AI is very cheap, that much is true. Adaptive my arse, rubber band is what it's called. Having said that, Annika wasn't too much trouble in the end.

Still, the 360 controllers are quite solid aren't they? ;)

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the AI, its the same with most games, the easy option (programming)if you are playing at the top level is for the computer to fake it, just like in pro evo. As an example, if you are playing a top player, the score he will get is all ready pre-determined from the off, so lets say if you are playing Vigay, if you dont get below -8 you will not win, even with say 1 hole to go and he is on -6, the next hole he will get an eagle to get him to -8.

So if you want a realistic game play on-line.

And re the swing and putting, I think its good, it helps if you play the real game, as you will know that a consistent smooth swing is key.

For putting, past versions of the game were too precise, you could mathmeticaly calculate the power and aim, and sink long puts easy, thats not real. If you are going 20ft past the cup, thats more likely down to the fact that you have read the slope wrong.

I think the next game they produce (probably in 2 weeks time) will use the full potential of the 360. We all know what it can do now with Gears, for once we have a console machine thats ahead of any PC on steds.

Last edited:

Good post, sir. :thumbup:

It's a shame, I keep browsing past it and thinking "I feel like a game of that", but I know every time I birdie, the opposing player will get a chip-in, and every time I bogey, they'll miss a 3-inch putt. But I do miss it - I just can't afford the price of a new 360 pad (yes Mart, they're very well put together, thank God, but I don't think they'll survive what I'd do to it if I played this game ever again).

If I played it online with 60% stats, would I get a decent game? Or has practically every online player got the full 110%?

(I've started playing True Swing Golf on the DS to give me my fix in the meantime which, for a handheld, isn't too bad actually... But I might have to dig the PSP out and play Everybody's Golf again, I used to play that twice a day when it was first released...)

I would play you Jack, but you would definately destroy your pad screaming 'Its FAKE, Its FAKE' after 18 holes with me lol. But I could show you the art of consistant swinging and maybe you will change your mind on it. Saying that though I haven't played for a while so will be a bit rusty, and my win ratio not that good so you never know you may even win!

AndyLFC5

ps you wanna set the wager to £5000 he he he

So I'm presuming your stats are maxed out then?

I'll skip that then thanks, I'd rather save myself money on a new pad and possibly a new 360. :)

Can two people play on live on one console? Thinking of getting this got loads of games to trade-in.

Can't be arsed to make a new TW08 thread.

Anyone else playing it? Much harder than 07, which isn't a bad thing but the wife isn't happy ;)

Anyone else see Wayne Rooney is an unlockable golfer in it? Quite funny that :)

Can't be arsed to make a new TW08 thread.

Anyone else playing it? Much harder than 07, which isn't a bad thing but the wife isn't happy ;)

Anyone else see Wayne Rooney is an unlockable golfer in it? Quite funny that :)

Different year, same game....still bloody good fun though

Back
Top Bottom