To all the vegetarian chocolate lovers out there....

rockykabir

hello
30 March 2003
London -> New York -> San Francisco
Liverpool FC
BBC NEWS | Business | Mars starts using animal products
Mars starts using animal products

Some of the UK's best-selling chocolate bars, such as Mars and Twix, will no longer be suitable for vegetarians.

Also affecting brands such as Snickers and Maltesers, owner Masterfoods said it had started to use animal product rennet to make its chocolate products.

Masterfoods said the change was due to it switching the sourcing of its ingredients and the admission was a "principled decision" on its part.

The Vegetarian Society said the company's move was "incomprehensible".

:( I'm not vegetarian but this poses a serious problem to people following Kosher and Halal rulings too....

I don't understand this at all. Surely, you would buy in vegetarian ingredients and sell a larger amount, rather than buy in cheaper (non-vegetarian) ingredients and sell a smaller amount?

Utterly gutted, anyway. It's a complete step backwards - we're in a different time than we were when these chocolate bars were first being manufactured. Obviously they think all vegetarians are nutters.

What pisses me off the most is their statement: "only strict vegetarians will not benefit from this" - excuse me?!

Anybody who eats anything made with animal products in IS NOT A VEGETARIAN. There's vegetarians, and there's non-vegetarians. If you're vegetarian for your diet, but you still eat a bit of chicken or some chocolate with bits of animal in now and then, then you're not a fucking vegetarian are you?! FULL-STOP. I find that statement completely offensive, to be honest.

Don't get me wrong, you can have whatever diet you want, but the way the statement is written it's as if they're saying "if you're vegetarian, come on, it's alright to have just a tiny little bit of cow stomach!! It's not going to harm you now is it?"

Er, well, errr, the reason that I became vegetarian, to be honest, is so that I didn't eat any more animals, so, well, erm, yeah, it is. You fucking moron.

Last edited:
AAAAAAHAHAHA! :D The Royle Family is based on my family.

Seriously though, that's how they sound. "You can still give us your money and buy our chocolate, just because you're vegetarian doesn't mean you can't buy food with animal products in it! And this just in, we've discovered that just because you're blind doesn't mean you can't see!"

I really am offended by their utter stupidity, "only strict vegetarians will suffer", what a bunch of complete idiots. Obviously no vegetarians in the boardroom then. (Obviously nobody under the age of 60 in the boardroom then. What a great way to run a company aimed at young people. Fill your company with people whose attitudes are set in the past and then tell young vegetarians that you can still be a vegetarian if you eat chocolate with chunks of beef in it.)

I wonder if the nan from The Royle Family runs Masterfood...

_1527435_lizsmith150.jpg

"NEW! MARS WITH WAFER THIN HAM! SUITABLE FOR VEGETARIANS, VEGANS AND PEOPLE OF ALL RELIGIONS!
Give us your money, I've got a Stannah Stairlift being fitted this afternoon! Haven't I Barbera? What do you mean it's next week? Oh I'm getting me dates muddled, I've had it I have..."

Last edited:
Maltesers....no! I'm going out to stock up LOL!

The worrying thing is that people don't know....

The worrying thing is that people don't know....
You say that but I've had it emailed to me three times, texted to me twice and now there's this thread. I wouldn't mind but I read about it days beforehand. :mryellow:

It is bad though - what makes it worse is that they've never advertised their products as vegetarian before and force you to look on their website or even email them for more information (I fucking hate companies that do that, there's absolutely loads, including Masterfoods, Strongbow, Ben & Jerrys, even Coca-Cola). So if you were told they were vegetarian, you just take it for granted that they're a modern company and that's that, they're not going to go backwards in their manufacturing techniques... Only they have!!

I think it should be law to print whether your product is vegetarian or not (same goes for if it's kosher etc). It's not going to cost companies an extra million quid to add a V to their labels, is it? There should be two clear logos, either a V or a V with a cross through it. That way you know for definite, there's no running about sending emails asking for information that you should be told in the first place, and there's no assuming something is vegetarian when a company makes a U-turn like this.

Last edited:
No, I've never been vegan, it's a nightmare. My girlfriend was vegan but couldn't manage it for more than a month because she was getting so little food in her - there's only so many breakfasts, lunches and dinners consisting of an apple and a carrot that you can take. Your local Somerfield isn't exactly bursting with vegan stuff. I could never be vegan, though. I drink milk like alcoholics drink beer and I eat pasta like schoolkids eat burger and chips.

I have to admit though that the statement from Masterfoods has made me realise that I wasn't as good a vegetarian as I could be, so in a way I'm grateful that they are run by retards.

I only asked as rennet (the new ingredient), is found in cheese, milk, other dairy products etc.

Well the cheese and milk I buy is certified as vegetarian (with a nice big green V on it) or else I wouldn't buy it - surely they couldn't advertise it as vegetarian if it wasn't?

What makes up vegetarian milk then? I know about soya and almonds, is it one of those?

Just trying to picture the potion.

You say that but I've had it emailed to me three times, texted to me twice and now there's this thread. I wouldn't mind but I read about it days beforehand. :mryellow:

It is bad though - what makes it worse is that they've never advertised their products as vegetarian before and force you to look on their website or even email them for more information (I fucking hate companies that do that, there's absolutely loads, including Masterfoods, Strongbow, Ben & Jerrys, even Coca-Cola). So if you were told they were vegetarian, you just take it for granted that they're a modern company and that's that, they're not going to go backwards in their manufacturing techniques... Only they have!!

I think it should be law to print whether your product is vegetarian or not (same goes for if it's kosher etc). It's not going to cost companies an extra million quid to add a V to their labels, is it? There should be two clear logos, either a V or a V with a cross through it. That way you know for definite, there's no running about sending emails asking for information that you should be told in the first place, and there's no assuming something is vegetarian when a company makes a U-turn like this.

I agree!!!! I don't eat a lot of sweets (none actually LOL!) but a lot of things you don't know aren't veggie. Like Nuttela Chocolate Spread, it has animal rennet. Tons of things do. Like when you are at your local newsagent, you see a sweet, check the back hoping for the magic V, then you don't, so you read the reallllly small ingredients, and most of it you don't understand LOL!

Ahhh.. chilhood miseries LOL!
Anyway, talking about veggie food, what have you found out isn't veggie that you thought was? Most cereals are veggie, and halal, and kosher.
A lot of youghurt has gelatine so watch out, esp. Muller Vitality.

I had no idea about Nutella, thanks for the heads up!!

There's some Uncle Ben's rices that aren't vegetarian, despite the fact that they're supposed to be plain rices that you can mix in with a sauce. I'm certain, but my girlfriend thinks I've lost the plot, that when I first had their Thai rice it had a "vegetarian" stamp on, and then after buying more months later and thinking it tasted a bit funny, I was gobsmacked to find that the stamp had gone and that it now included fish.

I was surprised that all Strongbow drinks, bar the actual original Strongbow, aren't vegetarian as well. I would have thought that if the main drink was then the sub-drinks (e.g. Strongbow Cirrus, which looks gorgeous) would be as well, but they're not. There's a few drinks in the Coca-Cola Company range that aren't vegetarian either, but their names escape me at the moment (they make that many different drinks)...

Last edited:
Why are people vegetarians? Is it for health reasons or on principle?

I'm in Texas, so I really don't run across this. I eat a lot of fruits and veggies, but also meats for protein... what do you eat for protein, just nuts?

I'd appreciate someone shedding some light on this one.

Thanks JB :)

I'm in Texas, so I really don't run across this. I eat a lot of fruits and veggies, but also meats for protein... what do you eat for protein, just nuts?

I'd appreciate someone shedding some light on this one.

Mmm.. for me religious reasons, I still eat meat (sorry JB) but only halal, and due to their being a lack of this in the mainstream market I usually go veggie.

When I went down to India for my gap year, I was amazed that practically everyone (bar the muslim, christian and a very small part of the hindu population) were vegan. To them, the fact I ate meat and fish was strange and alien to them - a complete contrast to how it is in the rest of the world. In some areas, it was almost like being in a black market trying to find meat dishes! :lol:

To substitute for meat protein, they ate Paneer - a full fat cheese that can be cooked. In the Far East, Tofu is perhaps seen as a substitute (although there are very few vegans down those parts). I have tried meat-equivalent vegetable protein products from supermarkets but they taste shabby and cost loads!

Regardless of whether you are a veggie or not, I think companies should use vegetarian ingredients wherever possible. For me personally, I'll like to have my meat on the plate for dinner rather than in my Snickers bar ;)

Obviously, it differs from person to person, but I believe that most vegetarians are vegetarians on principle. But even then, the principle differs. My girlfriend is vegetarian because she loves animals to bits, she would literally live in an animal park if it was up to her. She's the kind of person who thinks 99% of humans are scum and thinks that every animal is a loving creature that wouldn't hurt her because she's nice to them (just so you know, I completely and utterly disagree with her, I think she's mental in that respect, and I get the serious doghouse treatment whenever I kill a fly or say about the animal that barks all night and keeps us awake "that dog should be shot").

My principle is still regarding animals but it's totally different. Just because I don't love animals and I don't want a house full of them (in-fact that's the last thing on earth I want - I literally hate pets), doesn't mean that I don't respect them. The way I look at it is, I'd be pretty pissed off if aliens came to earth and decided to eat all the humans because they were dumb animals who probably tasted nice. If you can get the nutrition from other sources then I find it sick to eat the flesh of a living thing purely because "it tastes nice". To me it's equal to the bastards who hunt and kill foxes because "it's fun". Get an Xbox, you sick fuck.

Because it's all about respect, I also respect people who eat meat (because I believe that everybody deserves respect until the moment that you know they're not deserving of it), so don't go thinking I'm an animal rights activist or anything.

There's a substitute food range that uses combinations of various natural elements (Mycoprotein, soya, tofu and the like) to make different textures, for example the texture of chicken, or the crispy texture of bacon. This is then naturally flavoured (although sometimes there's a few E numbers in there) to taste like the food it is a substitute for. But the ingredients that are included have the nutrients you need, including tons of protein and fibre (although you may also have to take supplements depending on the variety, or rather lack of it, of your diet - just as you would if you were eating meat but nothing else). They're also a lot lower in calories, which is great - if you don't want to lose weight you can eat twice as much. ;)

The main brands in the UK are Quorn, Linda McCartney and another one whose name escapes me at the moment (I'm not a big fan of theirs, the stuff they make is quite hoity toity), and the range of stuff you can get is great. For example, you've got your bacon, your burgers, your chicken fillets, your chicken escalopes (chicken coated in e.g. cheese, cheese and tomato, garlic and herbs, mushroom sauce or whatever, and then coated with breadcrumbs), sausages, steaks, mince (great for lasagne, spaghetti bolognaise and the like)... They even do chicken nuggets, which are disgusting and pink in the middle - just like a certain McSomebody's. They've got it down to a fine art!

The entire Quorn range can be found HERE.

Some of it is great, some of it is alright. For example, I secretly gave my dad (your typical "vegetarians are little gay boys" dad) a sandwich with the Quorn bacon on, because while the Quorn bacon was cooking he would always say "that bacon smells gorgeous" - thinking that it was meat that was cooking. As soon as he'd taken a bite he was saying "where did you get this bacon from, we've got to get more of this stuff, it's bloody gorgeous!!" The Quorn sausages are quite rubbery, though (Linda McCartneys are better), and the Quorn burgers are nowhere near as satisfying as the real thing.

There's a substitute food range that uses combinations of various natural elements (Mycoprotein, soya, tofu and the like) to make different textures, for example the texture of chicken, or the crispy texture of bacon. This is then naturally flavoured (although sometimes there's a few E numbers in there) to taste like the food it is a substitute for. But the ingredients that are included have the nutrients you need, including tons of protein and fibre (although you may also have to take supplements depending on the variety, or rather lack of it, of your diet - just as you would if you were eating meat but nothing else). They're also a lot lower in calories, which is great - if you don't want to lose weight you can eat twice as much. ;)

The main brands in the UK are Quorn, Linda McCartney and another one whose name escapes me at the moment (I'm not a big fan of theirs, the stuff they make is quite hoity toity), and the range of stuff you can get is great. For example, you've got your bacon, your burgers, your chicken fillets, your chicken escalopes (chicken coated in e.g. cheese, cheese and tomato, garlic and herbs, mushroom sauce or whatever, and then coated with breadcrumbs), sausages, steaks, mince (great for lasagne, spaghetti bolognaise and the like)... They even do chicken nuggets, which are disgusting and pink in the middle - just like a certain McSomebody's. They've got it down to a fine art!

The entire Quorn range can be found HERE.

Some of it is great, some of it is alright. For example, I secretly gave my dad (your typical "vegetarians are little gay boys" dad) a sandwich with the Quorn bacon on, because while the Quorn bacon was cooking he would always say "that bacon smells gorgeous" - thinking that it was meat that was cooking. As soon as he'd taken a bite he was saying "where did you get this bacon from, we've got to get more of this stuff, it's bloody gorgeous!!" The Quorn sausages are quite rubbery, though (Linda McCartneys are better), and the Quorn burgers are nowhere near as satisfying as the real thing.

Quorn! LOL! Vegeterian meat
rotflmao.gif

Ah, so clearly affection for animals plays a big role in being a vegetarian/vegan. Because while it's nice to hear there are a wide variety of meat/protein substitutes (some good some bad), I don't see why anyone would suffer through them unless they were looking out for animals.

Interesting.

Ash - what's the joke? I thought you were vegetarian? :eh:

Eaton - yeah, it is mostly about the animals. I forgot to tell the story of why I became vegetarian actually (I've already written it somewhere, I'll just fetch it and quote it)...

Jack Bauer said:
When I was 13/14/15, I literally lived on McDonalds. Every day I would go to college and go to McDonalds on the way back, and I was getting sick of killing myself. I was that young and I was getting chest pains. But what finally sealed it was that, one day in Birkenhead (the shopping area of my little city), a truck pulled up next to a butchers and opened it's back doors. There were whole pigs, and various other animals and organs, hanging upside down, and some rabbits hanging inside out. I just thought, if I was part of an alien race, I would want them to have more mercy on our stupidity than to say "what does it matter" and turn them inside out. And so from that day I became a vegetarian [and lost a shitload of weight, and started to do several things I just couldn't do before].

So with me it was actually a bit of both, health reasons and because of animal cruelty. The health reasons were the ones that made me want to do it, but seeing the insides of the back of that truck was what made me "snap".

Last edited:
Ash - what's the joke? I thought you were vegetarian? :eh:

I don't eat Quorn you see. Whenever I hear about it, it just makes me laugh. Along with other things like veggie sausages. Why? Because you are making a meat product veggie? Hope I am explaining myself :)

Like saying kosher ham.

Haha, yeah, I kind of see what you mean. But if it wasn't for Quorn then my dinner would be Kit Kat Chunky and grapes...

Being a Vegetarian can be a nightmare at times god knows how Vegans manage. I've been one since I was a child... As far as the chocolate goes I'm not too concerned though the fact that such a large manufacturer is happy to move to using an animal based product and, as has been stated elsewhere is clearly happy to give up a percentage of it's market's prospective buyers both worries and astounds me.

EatonTJ. there is a massive range of foods and foodstuff available to Vegetarians, less so to Vegans. It's not just about the love of animals etc, I myself found as a child red meat made me Ill, so I found it easy to give the whole lot up.
The Quorn range is aimed at the meat eating market as a great alternative that looks like the stuff your used to eating, the whole BSE thing scared allot of people away from red meat but not chicken or fish etc, Quorn quickly adapted their range and products to fill the gap.
As Jack says some of it's very nice.
As for being a Vegetarian whether it's a life choice you make or an religious requirement the more the merrier I say, as the number of products and Vegetarian friendly restaurants will increase, damn you 'vegetarian option available on request'.. ;) my gran used to tell her friends "He doesn't eat anything with a face" when she explained Vegetarianism and still after all the years I've been a vegetarian, my father cannot understand why you can't eat fish as it's not 'meat'.

I eat Horses

if its good enough for Ramsey its good enough for me

To quote from the Vegetarian Society's website:
Ah, I see. I was under the assumption from something that I read that animal rennet was essential to the process. I realize those types I mentioned are vegan substitutes.

I've actually been thinking about giving up meat recently. I don't know if I ever will, but I have considered it for sure. I picture meat and feel strange, like I know I am eating something that was once running around in a field, it can be mildly uncomfortable on occasion. Eating somethings flesh makes me think about JB's example somewhat, and imagining the same happening to humans. Hopefully this is just a phase. I think it's caused by all the plastic packaged meats on offer (what an animal becomes, not nice). Another thing is seeing a rare steak with blood dripping off it, ugh. Anything I eat has to be thoroughly dead before hand, and that means well done.

Whatever I did though, I wouldn't be classed as a vegetarian, because I could never give up fish. A nice piece of cod or some sardines on toast can be my idea of food heaven.

Though saying that, so can a double cheese burger with all the trimmings...

Result! There's a u-turn! :D
BBC NEWS | UK | Mars bars get veggie status back

Mars bars get veggie status back

Mars has abandoned plans to use animal products in its chocolate, and has apologised to "upset" vegetarians.

The firm had said it would change the whey used in some of its products from a vegetarian source to one with traces of the animal enzyme, rennet.

The Vegetarian Society organised a campaign against the move, asking members to voice their concerns to parent company Masterfoods.

Mars said it became "very clear, very quickly" that it had made a mistake.

In just one week, more than 6,000 people bombarded the company, which produces the Mars, Snickers, Maltesers and Galaxy brands, with phone and e-mail complaints.

Anyone else smell a publicity stunt? :D

Not too mention lots of bulk buying of Veggie Chocolate before it went all evil. ;)

Back
Top Bottom