Top Spin 2 Xbox360

Tom

Administratør
Staff
12 December 2001
Hamburg
Hands down, lads, who's playing it? I can remember having a preview thread about it some time ago I had to lock, but now I wonder why there's no new thread since it's out. Anything I might have missed? Hellooooo? :)

Anyway, I'm thinking of buying it only for the online part. Still, I'm not 100% sure yet since I'm a tennis maniac since the old days of Final Match Tennis (PC Engine) and Jimmy Connors on SNES. I didn't like the first Top Spin that much but I heard the sequel isn't that arcade-ish anymore.

Pants down, gimme some input and we might meet on the battlefield soon.

OK Kezz, this is my theory behind it, on normal setting, this game is tough, took me 4 matches before I won my first match, this is just in exhibition mode. I had played as Federer and Roddick, taking on girls etc, but I just couldnt beat them. The COM is hard to play against, they rarely make any mistakes at all.

On the Career side, you will win your first match probably, however it'll take a while to build your character up, I won the 2nd Tourny I entered, but it was tough, it is a very hard game. I dont know if I'm too used to Virtua Tennis in the past and thus cant play with the stars in this game yet how I would like, or if it is really this tough. It's a decent game, and as many reviews say, HD makes a difference as it does look very similar to TS on SDTV.

With so many games out just recently it's a complete bitch though, this BF, Oblivion, FC etc all within a month of each other!

• Staff
Thanks, Ho.

Currently I'm 90+ hours into Oblivion, so some neat game to distract me from that could be Top Spin. It would all be about the online gaming for me then, though I know I'd have to build my Boris Becker in various offline modes first.

I bought my 1-year-Live-membership two weeks ago, so now I'm thinking of a game I would probably fire in regularly just to have some online fun. Fight Night? Battlefield? Top Spin? All of them? Still not sure yet :)

Completely agree with Holio that this is one hell of a tough game. The career mode takes a while to build up your player and like Holio said the AI of the players is almost flawless. Game is also very good online.

i brought this game the other day and thought it was total wank, im used to virtua tennis tho, not much help in the thread tho lol soz

I got this game today, thought it was diabolical too! do you know what I hate the most?

IT DOESNT WORK WITH GODDAMN HD VGA CABLES!! FFS!!!

so WARNING: if you are using a VGA Cable for your Xbox 360 do NOT get this game!!

DJ

djdoc360 said:
I got this game today, thought it was diabolical too! do you know what I hate the most?

IT DOESNT WORK WITH GODDAMN HD VGA CABLES!! FFS!!!

so WARNING: if you are using a VGA Cable for your Xbox 360 do NOT get this game!!

DJ

Where you losing? Getting beat? Ever think that sometimes you might have a learn a game to win? It's not diabolical, it's a well structured game with a decent career side to it. Sure it feels like you are playing a wall early on, but you have to learn the game and master it.

FIXED!!! ok guys here is what you have to do to get Top Spin 2 or Dead or Alive to work with the HD VGA Cable. 1st, plug in your normal scart lead/composite lead, then select the PAL 60HZ mode, accept the settings and switch off the console, plug the VGA HD Cable back in and boot the 360 up with the game it works!!! wooo hooo!!

as for the game its not bad the more you play it, but I still think it lacks that something that Virtua Tennis has.

DJ

The only thing it lacks over VT is the simplicity of it all. For using the safe shot you really have to work an opening / angle, sure it can be annoying at the start, but start a career, you learn more about the game, and it's more forgiving in matches on that side of the game comparted to using the real tennis players.

The more I play it the better im getting and the more im understanding it, I would say keep trying and trying it and you will like it. Im starting to like it its now playing a realistic game of Tennis :)

DJ

yeah i love tennis games got this game last week been on it abit due to that ive hade so much work due in and nearly completed it i fink its too short still great game

The more I play the more I like, I think I was used to VT too much and now im experiencing realism! Its difficult but good, you have to make sensible and good shot choices! I like it now! I take back the use of the word Diabolical.

DJ

Dont think so :( E3 being so near, i guess they put that E3 stuff(lots of demos i hope) in the marketplace. But it would be positive suprise to see demos of these already released games out there aswell.

"Snoods said:
Topspin 2 Demo is now on the marketplace in the UK
Size 487.91
May 4, 2006 12:53 AM
Wet Vein said:
I just noticed a "Top Spin 2" demo on marketplace. This could be a real awesome couple of weeks.
:) "
source:major nelson.com

Last edited:
its a good game but its too short for me,ive played my first carrear it took me like 1 week and i got all the achivements accpet the 2 online ones

Well how far are you guys, I got this 2 weeks ago and I am hooked. I bought Hitman, PGR3 and GR:AW with it, and so far only played GR:AW and TS2 properly.

TS2 is great, is Nadal in the game? And what is the best way to get an Ace?

Top spin 2 is a very good tennis game.It has some gameplay bugs that they should short out in top spin3 but overall is a very good game.
Also they must add replay and the ball boys must catch the ball...
Online mode is perfect without lag!
I am number 2 in the world right now in rankings!!!!!!!!!

Havent played this in weeks! was starting to get a little bored as I was winning lots of matches but didnt seem to be progressing very far, Fired my coach and hired an uprated one and that was about it. One a Portuguese Tourney last time I played this I think.

DJ

I gotta be honest, the first true great tennis game i ever played was on the white aquare box they call a dreamcast... if you don't know what i'm talking about its virtua Tennis!

When i first played top spin 2 i thought, what the heck is this...i wouldn't even let virtua tennis walk on this game! but after time you get used to it and appreciate how realistic this game really is.

on hard mode i found federer quite easy to play compared to roddick, when he is serving 145mph thunderbolts at ya, wow! you watch those aces fly past ya!

The risk shots are incredibly hard but worth practicing.

all in all, don't expect arcadey tennis like virtua tennis, this game is a true reflection of tennis, definitely worth a look if you like your tennis.

ps... especially good on a HDTV, there is a massive difference.

Last edited:
Yeah is quite tough, I am currently 10th in the world, near then end of 3rd season and still haven't won a Grand Slam, won a few masters, but they are tough. Currently playing Paris Masters and I am playing Carlos Moya in the final.

Anyway, why is there no Nadal?

Anybody still play this?

I was going to get it but I was put off by everybody saying Virtua Tennis was better. However, after reading a few people say this is more of a simulation and VT is (literally) an arcade game, I've been pondering whether to go and get it.

Do people still play it online? I love my Burnout but there's not too many matches available any more.

There are people still playing online :)
Try out the demo and see if you like it, it is quite hard at first, but when you play career mode you get the hang of it!

Back
Top Bottom