TV & Gaming Equipment Discussion

Chris Davies

Chief PESsimist
Staff
14 May 2003
UK
Tranmere Rovers
It's just dawned on me that we don't have a gaming TV and general equipment discussion thread (it all tends to get placed into the PC thread).

So, I'm going to kick this thread off with a question, as I enter into a "replacing my 15 year old audio equipment and possibly buying a 4K 120hz or 8K TV to go with it" journey.

I'm looking at AV receivers that can cope with all the current formats (4K, 8K, Dolby Atmos, ALLM, all that jazz).

Right now, the majority have a single 8K port on the back, e.g. the Marantz Slimline NR1711:

mz_nr1711_n_re_sg_001_hi__large_full.jpg

Now, I'm worried that I might end up with a PS5 and an Xbox Series X - which will mean I need two ports.

However... If I bought a new TV, that supported eARC, and the AVR unit supported it too...

...does that mean I can plug the consoles direct into the TV, which will mean 8K for both, and that Dolby Atmos (supported by eARC) will be passed through to the AVR?

In which case, I could get any old AVR that supports Dolby Atmos with an eARC port, right? It wouldn't matter if it could do 8K etc... Because I'd only be passing the sound along. Right?

TBH Chris, someone in here might be able to answer your question.

But I would recommend asking the guys over at AV Forums - They would be able to give you a solid answer as well as many recommendations.

Reactions: Tom
  • Staff
TBH Chris, someone in here might be able to answer your question.

But I would recommend asking the guys over at AV Forums - They would be able to give you a solid answer as well as many recommendations.
A quick look at AV Forums seems to suggest I'm right to think I can do that (with eARC).

But now I've asked them for AVR recommendations, speaker set recommendations for a small room, and new TV recommendations, to take advantage of every new feature of the new consoles...

Can't afford any Christmas presents this year...

• Staff
Can we discuss about gamepads in this thread? (as equipment?)
I would have thought, if you were buying it for the PC/a console, it would go in the relevant thread - but sure, why not.

Does anyone here own an LG CX TV by any chance?

I would have thought, if you were buying it for the PC/a console, it would go in the relevant thread - but sure, why not.

Does anyone here own an LG CX TV by any chance?
some guys i know from a german forum own that beast. only positives (besides the price ;) )! some own the 2019 C9 model. all are fully satiesfied.

• Staff
some guys i know from a german forum own that beast. only positives (besides the price ;) )! some own the 2019 C9 model. all are fully satiesfied.
I'm close to pushing the buy-now button, but...

I'm reading that any 30fps gaming content looks terrible on them due to juddering, and that there's nothing that can be done to fix it... I was just interested to hear some more views on the subject!

Lots of threads on AV forums: Example 1, Example 2, Example 3...

There's no way in hell I'm going to drop £2,000 on a TV if it can't display 30fps content properly!

Just a thought have you checked this site out......https://www.richersounds.com/tv-home-cinema/av-receivers.html

Chris, may one ask why one would need such an elaborate sound system?
Short answer - Dolby Atmos is supported by the new Xbox, and Dolby Atmos includes height channels. Ideally you should have speakers in the ceiling, but you can buy "upfiring" speakers that will make the sound bounce off the ceiling. It adds an extra dimension to the sound space and apparently makes a world of difference to games and films. This is the cheapest half-decent set for a small room you can buy.

Long answer... The new PlayStation and Xbox don't have optical ports now, so even without Atmos, I can't use my current setup any more (see spoiler).

My current audio setup is a Logitech z5500 5.1 system and speakers. It's 15 years old and all hardwired together (so I can't use the speakers in another system). It's also got no HDMI ports. I've never needed an AVR (until now) because I've outputted all 5.1 sound from each media device via optical cables into a "switchbox", which outputs one optical cable straight into the back of the Logitech system.

Ordinarily, you wouldn't need a switchbox - the TV's optical output would "passthrough" the 5.1 signal (not Atmos, that can only be sent via HDMI).

However, because Panasonic are cheap bastards - and my TV is a 4K HDR Panasonic DX902B - it only has stereo passthrough. Which is useless with a 5.1 setup.

So either I buy a new LG TV which will pass 5.1 through the optical cable - and I can keep my audio setup (but not have Atmos)...

...or I buy an AVR and a set of Dolby Atmos speakers, which means I get Dolby Atmos, but my TV won't support all the new features like 120hz, VRR, ALLM etc...

All three would cost £2,300 (TV) plus £600 (AVR) and £650 (speaker set) ... £3,550.

I can't be bothered ripping out all the speakers, though. So I'm going to put up with stereo sound until the new year, and hope everything gets a price cut in the Boxing Day sales, then buy the TV and live with plain 5.1 for now.

Just a thought have you checked this site out......https://www.richersounds.com/tv-home-cinema/av-receivers.html
Yep, that's where I'll likely get a receiver from. But if I call with questions they'll be ringing me and emailing me until doomsday...

A quick look at AV Forums seems to suggest I'm right to think I can do that (with eARC).

But now I've asked them for AVR recommendations, speaker set recommendations for a small room, and new TV recommendations, to take advantage of every new feature of the new consoles...

Can't afford any Christmas presents this year...

IMO, Sony x900h is so popular out there which may not break the bank as CX oled, it is even advertised as ready for PS5. It officialy has hdmi 2.1 feature 4k 120hz and earc as of today.

Short answer - Dolby Atmos is supported by the new Xbox, and Dolby Atmos includes height channels. Ideally you should have speakers in the ceiling, but you can buy "upfiring" speakers that will make the sound bounce off the ceiling. It adds an extra dimension to the sound space and apparently makes a world of difference to games and films. This is the cheapest half-decent set for a small room you can buy.

Long answer... The new PlayStation and Xbox don't have optical ports now, so even without Atmos, I can't use my current setup any more (see spoiler).

My current audio setup is a Logitech z5500 5.1 system and speakers. It's 15 years old and all hardwired together (so I can't use the speakers in another system). It's also got no HDMI ports. I've never needed an AVR (until now) because I've outputted all 5.1 sound from each media device via optical cables into a "switchbox", which outputs one optical cable straight into the back of the Logitech system.

Ordinarily, you wouldn't need a switchbox - the TV's optical output would "passthrough" the 5.1 signal (not Atmos, that can only be sent via HDMI).

However, because Panasonic are cheap bastards - and my TV is a 4K HDR Panasonic DX902B - it only has stereo passthrough. Which is useless with a 5.1 setup.

So either I buy a new LG TV which will pass 5.1 through the optical cable - and I can keep my audio setup (but not have Atmos)...

...or I buy an AVR and a set of Dolby Atmos speakers, which means I get Dolby Atmos, but my TV won't support all the new features like 120hz, VRR, ALLM etc...

All three would cost £2,300 (TV) plus £600 (AVR) and £650 (speaker set) ... £3,550.

I can't be bothered ripping out all the speakers, though. So I'm going to put up with stereo sound until the new year, and hope everything gets a price cut in the Boxing Day sales, then buy the TV and live with plain 5.1 for now.

Yep, that's where I'll likely get a receiver from. But if I call with questions they'll be ringing me and emailing me until doomsday...

But Chris is there any need for such an elaborate system when one's room is hardly large enough to benefit from such a thing?

i once owned that focal spirit one headphones! super quality i must admit. cost back then was around 400 euro.

Also in regards to TV's it might be worth waiting till next year.
I am not sure on the impact of Covid on Innovation, but normally new TVs are announced in January at CES and released a couple of months later.
I know it is 5/6 months time, but you will be able to get the CX9 much cheaper or for the same price as the CX10.

I know from different forums a lot of PC Gamers use the CX9, as it is the only TV that can handles PCs,
I have the OLED B8 - And debating to upgrade or not.

I see the B8 is still a great TV, it has even better pick brightness than the new BX series, which means better HDR expiries, response time is bit better too, but the motions blur and image cleanliness looks a worst than BX, and do not have HDMI 2.1. If I were you, I would sell it for $700-$800 and take the high-end LG CX which will be relevant for at least the next 10 years.

If you ever play old games on old consoles like on PS2, pick an old CRT TV. It looks like 40-50 FPS and feels totally more fluid than an emulation on PC or on PS3/PS4. Well at least PES4 did.
CRT TV does not have a limitation of frequency and resolutions as new LED IPS monitors, and TVs. CRT has a true black and natural colors good contrast and no lag, that why even today, the image quality of CTV monitors are way better that any of new LED/IPS TV or monitors.

So, I just purchased 65 inch CX, thinking that C1 will be almost the SAME TV, with newes OS and chip, BUT just found pick brightness comparison and ....
LG CX
1% window - 680 cd/m2
10% window - 670 cd/m2
100% window - 135 cd/m2

LG C1
1% window - 800 cd/m2
10% window - 795 cd/m2
100% window - 145 cd/m2

It's around 15% more brightes... looks like they improve the panel a lot...

So, I just purchased 65 inch CX, thinking that C1 will be almost the SAME TV, with newes OS and chip, BUT just found pick brightness comparison and ....
LG CX
1% window - 680 cd/m2
10% window - 670 cd/m2
100% window - 135 cd/m2

LG C1
1% window - 800 cd/m2
10% window - 795 cd/m2
100% window - 145 cd/m2

It's around 15% more brightes... looks like they improve the panel a lot...
I've just had a G1 delivered. Its brighter but I don't think it's noticeably brighter in real content.

My impressions are here: https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-oled-g1-evo-owners-and-discussion-thread.2352393/post-29105560

What I really want to know is if there's a big difference between the G1 and C1... I've had to buy a really crappy stand to mount the G1 on (the feet are too wide for my TV unit).

Today should have been the big day !!!! I have been dreaming of an OLED TV for many years, needless to say why!
Looking forward, these three days of waiting seemed like three years to me, every minute was like an hour ... I had a hard time sleeping! You know how it is, excitement, adrenaline euphoria from buying another gadget, so desired !!!

To my great regret, the online store sent me a TV set for $ 2000 ... in a miserable condition, mostly the packaging of the TV set was in a miserable condition.
The box is obviously open, taped, the styrofoam that should keep the TV stable in logistics was broken in several places, the anti-static packaging around the screen was turned upside down, another proof that the TV was taken out and opened. The remote was missing, or it might have fallen somewhere down, but I was very angry and didn't even want to look.

I'm angry ... to put it mildly! Since 2013 I have been shopping from online store, actually, since this store has it, I have 13 pages with orders and tens of thousands of dollars.. super disappointed and generally offended... Now it starts waiting and walking in pain ... while they accept it until they check it until they decide to send another one, and another week goes by ... I wonder if I refuse it and wait in for C1

I've just had a G1 delivered. Its brighter but I don't think it's noticeably brighter in real content.

My impressions are here: https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-oled-g1-evo-owners-and-discussion-thread.2352393/post-29105560

What I really want to know is if there's a big difference between the G1 and C1... I've had to buy a really crappy stand to mount the G1 on (the feet are too wide for my TV unit).

Are you not worried about "burn In" Chris? I play a lot of sports games with static HUDS like FIFA and PES, doesn't that make Burn In more likely? I bought an Sony XH90 but was very disappointed with the HDR so returned it, would love to buy an OLED but am worried about Burn in.

Are you not worried about "burn In" Chris? I play a lot of sports games with static HUDS like FIFA and PES, doesn't that make Burn In more likely? I bought an Sony XH90 but was very disappointed with the HDR so returned it, would love to buy an OLED but am worried about Burn in.
The burn-in risk has been mitigated over the last few years' worth of developments (this year's Evo panel uses less electricity to deliver a brighter picture, which lowers the odds further). There's also "logo protection" which dims the area of the screen with a constant logo / scoreboard on it (and not noticeably so, either).

The stuff that would burn in is if you had a full-white HDR logo on all the time. That doesn't happen. Plus, I paid £140 from John Lewis for burn-in protection via Domestic & General should the worst come to worst!

The OLED screen burning is generally a thing of the past, in extreme conditions and very rare cases. Today it is even rarer, after all the improvements of the panel and protections, but always the competitive fans and brands will see it as a "weakness" of the technology, because they have nothing else to show as a disadvantage.

I have been using a plasma TV as a monitor for last 10 years, FULL HD 60 inch LG, which I adore! Only Plasmas can come slightly closer to the quality of OLED, such as contrast, lag, motion, and colours, and for plasmas the risk of image burning is at least 100 times higher, but I with some clever tricks, such as hiding the use of full screen EDGE browser mode, which is very convenient because the top bar of the browser appears and disappears after you place the mouse cursor at the top of the display, automatically hiding the start bar and so on. Yes, after 10 years I have some weird shadows and shadows, but again it's plasma, it's inevitable especially if you use it for a monitor like me. Even with the latest plasma TVs, the image burring problem has been fixed.

With the new consoles, it will become more and more relevant to buy a new 120 hz HDMI 2.1 TV, in my opinion this topic will become more and more relevant, so I am glad that Chris create it and he is quite competent, so will be able to helps you with tips. I'm a TV maniac, I have around 12 TVs
in my house , like 4 CRT's, 2 Plasmas' 4 LCD/LED TV's, and soon i hope will have 1 OLED TV, so I'll try to be useful as much as I can.

I'm looking for a monitor,120hz 24-27 inch.
Right now I'd settle for a 60hz 1920x1080 since FIFA 16/17 and 2k11/12/13/14 is pretty much all I play,with the random Skyrim adventure
Need it because wife is occupying the TV like a fucking squatter!

The reason for having a monitor instead of a TV is that I can move it to different locations in my flat,plus doesn't take up to much space.
Any suggestions!
(Plus I'm more and more looking at a pc rig tbh)

I'm looking for a monitor,120hz 24-27 inch.
Right now I'd settle for a 60hz 1920x1080 since FIFA 16/17 and 2k11/12/13/14 is pretty much all I play,with the random Skyrim adventure
Need it because wife is occupying the TV like a fucking squatter!

The reason for having a monitor instead of a TV is that I can move it to different locations in my flat,plus doesn't take up to much space.
Any suggestions!
(Plus I'm more and more looking at a pc rig tbh)

I recently got the Samsung Odyssey G5 (32" curved 144mhz) from Amazon, really nice monitor for the price, I get the VAT off as I'm a business customer so it was around 294 EUR, this one seems quite cheap for what you're after: https://www.amazon.de/Viewsonic-VX2718-PC-MHD-Monitor-Adaptive-Speaker/dp/B08DLBDKBQ/ 184 EUR ex VAT.

Hey guys, cool thread. Im a projector owner, loving the immersion offered by the 110"-120"+ gaming (and movies) and have using the good old FHD w1700 benq projector for the last 6yrs or so. As awesome as its been, next gen 4k60fps and lower input requirements have had me searching for the latest gaming projectors.. What are peoples thoughts in this new benq (i think its just come out in the uk) :

https://www.benq.com/en-ap/projector/home-entertainment.html

Love the fact you have the 1080p @120hz or 240hz options... Would prob prefer this over the 4k @60hz. Good price as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom