TV & Gaming Equipment Discussion

John Lewis wrote off my TV as an uneconomical repair.
So offered me an LG A2 TV or £800 refund.

I took the refund and purchased the Samsung OLED S95.
Has better reviews than the LG C2, so decided to give it a go.

Just set it up and now looking for a good calibration from online, but so far a decent TV.
It has better sound than my old LG but that is not important as have soundbar.

Will let you know how good it is when I calibrate it, but doesn’t look like to have Dolby Vision which the LG, which to me gave a big difference in picture quality on Netflix.

Just set it up and now looking for a good calibration from online, but so far a decent TV.

Will let you know how good it is when I calibrate it, but doesn’t look like to have Dolby Vision which the LG, which to me gave a big difference in picture quality on Netflix.

Where do you get the info to calibrate it? I have a LGB2 and havent really touched the settings. For some reason once in a while the HDR logo will pop up and the screen will become really bright and not in a good way. Probably some setting I need to change
Enjoying the TV, but really just disconnected it from the internet and prefer to use my own streaming box (when I bought it I thought the OS would let me install more apps such as Smarttube but its pretty locked down unfortunately)

Where do you get the info to calibrate it? I have a LGB2 and havent really touched the settings. For some reason once in a while the HDR logo will pop up and the screen will become really bright and not in a good way. Probably some setting I need to change
Enjoying the TV, but really just disconnected it from the internet and prefer to use my own streaming box (when I bought it I thought the OS would let me install more apps such as Smarttube but its pretty locked down unfortunately)

I used RTings for calibration settings, but think it is a bit too dark.
I will look around later for other settings and hopefully see if there is anything better.

So far the TV is good, but TBH personally prefer my old OLED.

The S95B is a decent OLED TV with impressive performance, but it's plagued with a lot of Samsung and first-generation problems. I often follow TV forums, and the S95B was one of the most problematic TVs last year.

The build quality is subpar, as many units are shipped with dead pixels or developed soon after use. The power supply also has a tendency to fail, and there are reports of panels arriving already bent (due to purely engineering errors that is a MASSIVE problem so check for bending your panel). Additionally, official firmware updates have caused numerous issues with the TV's functionality.

However, if you are lucky and receive a good unit, the TV can be great, especially if you're upgrading from an A2, which has a poor price-to-performance ratio. Personally, if I had to choose between the C2 and S95B, although to be fair, we should compare the G2 to the S95, but let's stick to the S95B vs C2 for now, I would lean towards the C2 due to its reliable hardware and LG's experience in the field.

Last edited:
If I manage to convince the wife this year, I'm going to go all out and get a top tier 65". Currently thinking of the LG G3 or the Sony A95K, be interested to see how much better the A95L is though. I'm thinking the K might drop to a decent price range, and I like the fact they've not skimped from a build quality perspective.

If I manage to convince the wife this year, I'm going to go all out and get a top tier 65". Currently thinking of the LG G3 or the Sony A95K, be interested to see how much better the A95L is though. I'm thinking the K might drop to a decent price range, and I like the fact they've not skimped from a build quality perspective.
From what I see in past years, Sony did not drop the prices so much, even now A90J 2021 TV is costing the same or more than G2 or G3.

But they keep Apple's policy, they consider themselves more of a premium brand, which really does not differ significantly from the others, even offering a less performance at a much higher price, but this policy, as with Apple, also works with Sony. A95K is amazing TV, yes but... it's way overpriced.

The S95B is a decent OLED TV with impressive performance, but it's plagued with a lot of Samsung and first-generation problems. I often follow TV forums, and the S95B was one of the most problematic TVs last year.

The build quality is subpar, as many units are shipped with dead pixels or developed soon after use. The power supply also has a tendency to fail, and there are reports of panels arriving already bent (due to purely engineering errors that is a MASSIVE problem so check for bending your panel). Additionally, official firmware updates have caused numerous issues with the TV's functionality.

However, if you are lucky and receive a good unit, the TV can be great, especially if you're upgrading from an A2, which has a poor price-to-performance ratio. Personally, if I had to choose between the C2 and S95B, although to be fair, we should compare the G2 to the S95, but let's stick to the S95B vs C2 for now, I would lean towards the C2 due to its reliable hardware and LG's experience in the field.

I don't know whether to love you or hate you over this.

I checked mine and the panel is bent slightly along the top, but the worse thing is the power supply is making quite a loud buzzing noise which indicates there will be issues later.

I spoke to John Lewis this morning and they are going to return it and get a full refund, will then go and buy the C2 which is what I wanted in the first place.

I checked mine and the panel is bent slightly along the top, but the worse thing is the power supply is making quite a loud buzzing noise which indicates there will be issues later.

I spoke to John Lewis this morning and they are going to return it and get a full refund, will then go and buy the C2 which is what I wanted in the first place.

I think you can't go wrong with the C2. I own the 48' which doesn't have the brighter panel of the bigger screen, but really I can't complain about a lack of brightness. Sure you better not have an open window in front of the TV, but even during day I have no problems playing very dark games such as RE4. It is a fantastic TV and a fantastic gaming monitor.

Last edited:

Sounds like you dodged a bullet on that one to be fair. At least you've got the good customer support from John Lewis

Ahh mate, I'm really sorry to hear that .. :(

Back
Top Bottom