two english clubs in euro finals

gomito#10

World Cup Winner
9 May 2003
DC, USA
What gives mauras? here is your quote

"EPL teams are a bunch of overrated institutions that play spectacularly against eachother but that are 80% marketing and 20% real quality soccer."

Do you still feel this way? Arsenal and Middlesbourgh(NOT EVEN CLOSE) will not finish top three in the EPL yet there both in euro finals? Where are the italian teams? where are the portugese?

You dont say that your foot is in your mouth do you?

Give Portugese, Dutch, Danish, Swedish, Lichtenstein,...clubs the same financial wealth as the English and they will also win silverware...

Manchester United is theworld richest sports club (preceding a couple of American football clubs and one baseball club - source: Ernst & Young). They won the CL only once: that is the anomaly.

Arsenal is among the 10 most wealthy football clubs and among the twenty most wealthy sports clubs: they never won the CL...they are underachievers...

Mauras is right...

In some things I agree with Mauras, but we must see, that English League is better than Portuguese one.

Stan said:
Give Portugese, Dutch, Danish, Swedish, Lichtenstein,...clubs the same financial wealth as the English and they will also win silverware...
Why don't they go out and earn it? English clubs aren't stealing the money from anyone (well maybe apart from Chelsea...)

Stan said:
Manchester United is theworld richest sports club (preceding a couple of American football clubs and one baseball club - source: Ernst & Young). They won the CL only once: that is the anomaly.
They've won it twice actually.

Zygalski said:
Why don't they go out and earn it? English clubs aren't stealing the money from anyone (well maybe apart from Chelsea...)

Unfortunately it's a bit hard having a country as big as Holland compared to England, where tv stations have the money to pay ridiculous amounts of cash just to show Sunderland vs Southampton. In other countries there's geographical reasons why players go there. If you're from Brazil it's normal to go to a warm country to play football plus it's easier to learn the language. Then there's (in Holland) the tax thing, even I pay huge amounts of tax per month. A player will not be happy to earn a million but having to give 600.000 back. So your "why don't they go out and earn it" remark is quite ridiculous and shows you might know Ronaldinho, Ronaldo and all those made superstars, but you know fuck all about football besides that. Thank you.

Hmmm, I'm not sure if I agree with your remark there Joost, I'm not saying i disagree, but also at the same time I'm not saying i agree either, so make your own mind up here, you have no need for me to tell you, if daddy told you to jump off the cliff would you hold Mommy's hand? I don't think so, i'm not sure and I'm not saying i know but at the same time it's just a hunch that i have, not thinking so about the doing of the holding of the hand of your mother. Now you've managed to annoy me Joost with all this.

Well, one of the two finals is over. :)

Spain 4 - 0 England :)

Sevilla has destroyed Boro in a magical night!! :D

Vamos mi Sevillaaaa, vamos campeooooon!!

352594_MEDIUMSQUARE.jpg

Last edited:
Manchester United won the CL only once...back in the 60's it was called ECI. Csaunders was spreaking about current day football...When Man Utd won the ECI the first time, they were not a very rich team (not poor either)...so i consider that one a bigger achievement than tne CL win...

Zygalski, Joost has answered your question for me...
Last week there was a EU parliament session about football. Even Karl Heinz Rummenigge admitted that the uneven division of money is not good in the long term for football...
I've said this often on this forum. Football has becompe predictable. Who will be champions next season???

England: Chelsea
Germany: Bayern Munchen
France: Olympique Lyon
Italy: Juventus or AC Milan
Spain: Barcelona (or maybe Real Madrid)
Portugal: Porto or maybe Benfica

Who will win the NBA next season: very unpredicatable...much better...
And yes Zygalski, Joost is right that you don't exactly show much knowledge about football in the broad sense....The fact that English (premiership) clubs are rich is due to the ridiculous high amount of money that television is paying for the matches...but things can change quick...in the 80's snooker was the most televised sport, even in Belgium and Holland more and more people became interested in this typical Brittish sport. I haven't seen a single thread about snooker WC at this forum...As a matter of fact i don't remember seeing any snooker thread at all since i'm a member...

And don't worry, i would say the same things if Belgian clubs would have the same amount of money...

PS: and today it would be very easy to talk about Sevilla-Boro but i don't want to hurt anybody's feelings.

Gedtillo said:

I wouldn't say Boro were destroyed and things could have been completely different if the penalty was given but credit to Sevilla they killed Boro off as they pushed for the equaliser.

It's a shame England will only be winning one European trophy this year ;)

Gedtillo said:

Vamos mi Sevillaaaa, vamos campeooooon!!

352594_MEDIUMSQUARE.jpg

unfortunatly for english people i think that Barca will make the same against Arsenal.... so hope to see a good match :applause:

gerd said:
Yes, Wigan will win the Intertoto and that will be it...

Don't you mean Newcastle? That's next season anyway.

I think us goons will surprise a few people on Wednesday.

I think you will surprise yourself just like Boro yesterday surprised theirselves...

Look, it may seem that i hate English football, which isn't the case at all...i love English football...but you people tend to over-estimate your football teams enormously...

I will even support Arsenal in that final, they have a fine young team, have been playing extremely attractive football the last years, they really deserve some silverware.

But if you read some things that fans are posting on this forum...jesus...like in the thread concerning the 4th place and the extremely unlucky way Spurs lost that well deserved fourth place (and i admit that i like Spurs more than Arsenal)...

Sometimes as an outsider it's wise not to interfere but sometimes it's quite hard.

Only solution is salary caps. Would make the sport SOOO much better. All the major US sports have done it (okay baseball's a bit behind, but football/basketball/hockey) and those leagues are completely unpredictable. It's great, think of the focus on young talents that were cheaper. West Ham/Boro would have a real chance! Problem is that you'd have to introduce them across UEFA for it to work..probably won't happen :(

A draft would be cool, but it will never work since Europe is maybe smaller than the US, but US is one country. Easier to form such a set up when you ahve equal rules everywhere.

The EU could play a role there Joost...
The good thing is that they are talking about football in the European Parliament...thebad thing is that that Parliament has no decision power...

Back
Top Bottom