U.N. Should Have More Control of the Internet

Siroco

League 2
10 June 2003
The Internet's 13 "root servers" are run by a variety of organizations, ranging from the US military, to private corporations, to a European nonprofit group based in Amsterdam.

All of these servers are overseen by the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, which in turn is overseen by the US Department of Commerce.

Next month in Tunisia, there will be international talks over the future of the root server network, sponsored by the U.N.

There's a plan to put critical Internet infrastructure under the control of the UN.

...And the prospect of an international Internet tax -- "with money going to fund technology development in developing countries."

"A UN-controlled ICANN might dramatically jack up the cost of Internet addresses in affluent countries like the United States to raise money for its development fund."

Is it just me, or does this sound a wee-bit goofy?

Siroco said:
The Internet's 13 "root servers" are run by a variety of organizations, ranging from the US military, to private corporations, to a European nonprofit group based in Amsterdam.

All of these servers are overseen by the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, which in turn is overseen by the US Department of Commerce.

Next month in Tunisia, there will be international talks over the future of the root server network, sponsored by the U.N.

There's a plan to put critical Internet infrastructure under the control of the UN.

...And the prospect of an international Internet tax -- "with money going to fund technology development in developing countries."

"A UN-controlled ICANN might dramatically jack up the cost of Internet addresses in affluent countries like the United States to raise money for its development fund."

Is it just me, or does this sound a wee-bit goofy?
sounds fucking stupid as all to me...

If this were to happen, there would be an "internet 2" with new root servers to avoid this tax. There is no fucking way I'm paying an internet usage tax (I already pay for an ISP) especially if its taking money out of my country. That is insane.

Yeah, paying more than I already pay my ISP. frack off. It's good as it is.
Having "Internet 2" will go against what the Internet is. Full acess to the network around the world. With "another" internet we can't acess the stuff on the other internet and vice-versa.

Back
Top Bottom