UEFA Champions League 05/06 Thread

Re: UEFA Champions League 04/05 Thread

Milanista said:
Hey Classic did you go to the game? Loads of Celtic fans were walking around Milan with trolleys full of beer.

Celtic were dangerous in the second half and could have won. Then super pippo came in and scored... i was happy for him.

Camara seemed to be the only real danger, and Marshal was doing well in goal.
No I didn't go to the match, did you go then? Camara was the only one who had chances from open play yes, but to be fair Milan only created 2 chances of their own, and they scored both - that's the difference I guess. 2nd half Nesta couldn't deal with Hartson at all, he won 90% of headers between the two, Agathe was outstanding, skinning Seedorf and then he chased back to make a fabulous tackle.

fd1972uk said:
Last night, once again confirmed my opinion that Arsenal will not get anywhere near this competition.
FD
yup arsenal and continental footie don't match...with arsenal getting the bad side of it :mrgreen:
in the EPL is another story.... :)

I was one of the 6,000 in the Delle Alpi, in truth it wasnt a great game. Tel Aviv were ok but lacked quality players, Juventus didnt play that well - their players lacked interest in performing but I guess the result is what counts.

This week of Champions League football was all about one player and his hatrick tho...

A fantastic hatrick, from a great player, he deserves all the praise he gets. Going through the goals again the 1st was a great shot, the second was superb and as for the set piece well a touch of arrogance in the way it was done but great stuff none the less. A quality side were annihilated.

Roy Makaay what a player !!

ClassicD said:
Problematic stadium or not, 6,400 or whatever it was is embarrassing for Juventus - that's a joke. Where is the fans' loyalty?

Yeah, it's such a shame. I would try to go to every Juve match if I lived in or near Turin..

Anyway the stadium (delle alpi) is supposed to be a really bad stadium.

Don Domenico said:
Yeah, it's such a shame. I would try to go to every Juve match if I lived in or near Turin..

Anyway the stadium (delle alpi) is supposed to be a really bad stadium.

Remember that a majority of Juve fans live away from Torino

A late reaction about Anderlecht-Inter. It's pretty obviuous that this Anderlecht is not a good CL-team. We knew that ANderlecht sucks in away matches, but uptil now they were at least pretty good in home matches...The match against Inter was different. Anderlecht chased for 90 minutes after a ball which was constant out of their reach.
Anderlecht has only two players who CL-worthly: ypoung Kompany (who still has a lot to learn but again proved that he will become an outstanding player) and Christian Wilhelmsson. I don't understand all the fuss about their so-called star player Aruna Dindane....

Milanista said:

This is true, they are the Italian Manchester Utd, in that respect.

Did you hear about the bust up between Lauren and Vieira after the Rosenborg match?

Two Arsenal players were involved in a bust-up on the team bus after their Champions League draw with Rosenborg on Wednesday evening.

Norwegian police were called upon to calm down the heated exchange between the two players reported to be captain Patrick Vieira and right-back Lauren.

Trondheim police officer Erik Svensson said: "Two police officers had to go on the bus and then it was calmed down."

The row is thought to have erupted over the defending when Rosenborg scored.

Vieira and Lauren exchanged words during the match about the way in which Roar Strand was allowed to score the Norwegians' equaliser.

It is believed that Lauren was blamed for failing to stop Oyvind Storflor in the build-up to the 52nd-minute leveller.

The unseemly episode was captured on Norwegian television channel NRK which filmed the police boarding the team coach.

Some Arsenal players were still giving post-match interviews outside the bus while the bust-up took place.

It has also been reported that one or two players acted as peacemakers in an attempt to pull the rowing pair apart.

Rosenborg's head of security Hallgeir Stokken added: "There was an argument between two players which turned into a physical confrontation.

"I have been told that other Arsenal players had to step in to separate them."

The two arguing players were then reportedly asked to sit apart on the team coach after the situation had been defused.

Arsenal refused to comment on the incident, but now that it has been made public, manager Arsene Wenger may consider taking disciplinary action against the players involved.

Last edited:

My impression of the Delle Alpi is it was ok, and would be great if full. The big disadvantage of it tho is its location, its not easy to get to unless youve got a car. I dont think the running track is a huge issue, you still get fairly decent views.

Professor Nutmeg said:
Arsenal refused to comment on the incident, but now that it has been made public, manager Arsene Wenger may consider taking disciplinary action against the players involved.[/i]

That would be stupid: either you take immediate disciplinary actions or you don't , the fact that it has been made public should play no role in that decision. If true this is a strange decision for an extremely intelligent man like Wenger... (IMHO he's the best coach in the world...).

Lauren and Vieira are both players with quite a temper it seems to me, it's not the first time they are in trouble.

cfdh_edmundo said:
This week of Champions League football was all about one player and his hatrick tho...

A fantastic hatrick, from a great player, he deserves all the praise he gets. Going through the goals again the 1st was a great shot, the second was superb and as for the set piece well a touch of arrogance in the way it was done but great stuff none the less. A quality side were annihilated.

Roy Makaay what a player !!

That's so true

Vieira: "You made us lose the game, piece of crap right back!"
Lauren: "Shut up you overrated bastard, Fabergas is better than you! Why didn't you go to Madrid?!"

Milanista said:

True. Recent studies show that there are in fact more Juve fans than FC Torino fans but most of the Torinese support FC Torino.

Champions league again tomorrow. Some interesting duels tomorrow:

Liverpool 20:45 Deportivo
Monaco 20:45 Olympiacos
Leverkusen 20:45 Roma
Real Madrid 20:45 Dynamo Kyiv
Ajax 20:45 M. Tel-Aviv
Juventus 20:45 Bayern
Fenerbahçe 20:45 Lyon
Sparta 20:45 Man. United

I'm especially looking forward to Juve - Bayern.

Any predictions for the games tomorrow?

pool depor should be good, juve bayern as you mentioned, and also sparta united cuz it would mark porborskiy's first match against united since his transfer out of OT (right?)

-fb

my predicts

Liverpool 20:45 Deportivo 1
Monaco 20:45 Olympiacos 1
Leverkusen 20:45 Roma 0
Real Madrid 20:45 Dynamo Kyiv 1
Ajax 20:45 M. Tel-Aviv 1
Juventus 20:45 Bayern 2
Fenerbahçe 20:45 Lyon 2
Sparta 20:45 Man. United 2

I deleted my predictions cause made me look completely fool.

Last edited by a moderator:

Liverpool - Deportivo
Monaco DRAW Olympiacos
Leverkusen - Roma
Real Madrid - Dynamo Kyiv
Ajax - M. Tel-Aviv
Juventus - Bayern
Fenerbahçe DRAW Lyon
Sparta - Man. United

And tomorrow:-

Rosenborg DRAW PSV
Panathinaikos - Arsenal
Milan - Barcelona
Shakhtar - Celtic
Anderlecht - Bremen
Valencia DRAW Internazionale
Chelsea - CSKA Moskva
PSG DRAW Porto

Finals scores :

Liverpool vs. Deportivo (0 - 0)
Monaco vs. Olympiacos (2 - 1)
Leverkusen vs. AS Roma (3 - 1)
Real Madrid vs. Dynamo (1 - 0)
Ajax vs. M. Tel-Aviv (3 - 0)
Juventus vs. Bayern (1 - 0)
Fenerbahçe vs. Lyon (1 - 3)
Sparta vs. Man. United (0 - 0)

2 points dropped by Liverpool who should have won easily but for the finishing/keeping.
Two difficult away matches (Depor, Monaco). It's looking difficult, but I think this group
will go down to the wire.

I'm so glad we won against Bayern Munchen tonight, it really was important!
I'm surprised to see that your prediction were all for the German team...didn't have faith in Juventus or you were still schocked for Bayern 4- 0 Ajax :lmao: ?
Pavel Nedved is invaluable for us \\:D/ !
YAY!

I'm glad Juve past the test of the first big team of the season. Fore me the match juve-bayern would show me if Juve were capable of doing something this year. It seems so, although Juve is very dependant on the backline, even when going forward (left-back Zambrotta, who was immense offensively and defensively).

DP and Ibrahimovic are good players, but both need to be partenered with a goal scorer to be effective. BAyern's 5 man midfield prevented juve from creating very much.

So there is room for improvement.

Happy with the win though ofcourse :)
------------

What about Monaco's two forwards, Saviola and Chevanton. Everyone knows Saviola, but I tell everyone watch out for Chevanton this guy will be (is already) huge. Chevanton scored 19 goals in season 03/04 in serie A with minnows Lecce, and scored against all the big teams as well.

Watched the Real Madrid - Dynamo Kiev match. What an offensive festival by both teams. I was impressed by Kiev, in the end they were quite unlucky to have lost this match (good game by Casilas). Real is stil wonderfull in attack, but their defense is bad...
I'm not sure if Kiev is really that good as one mùight think after yesterdays match, or is it Madrid's defense which is terribly weak???

The pick of the matches tonight are two Spanish-Italian ones, Barca-Milan and Valencia-Inter. Also PSG - Porto could be good - unless PSG win theyre pretty much out and probably wont even make the UEFA Cup, similarly Celtic - Shakhtar.

Gerd - I think it's a bit of both mate.

Ed - The Milan-Barca game should be a cracker, although I don't think there will ba many (or even any) goals. Although I won't be taking my eyes of the Celtic game for obvious reasons. Hopefully we'll get a result, but going by our previous record it doesn't look too promising and Donetsk look a good team, and seem to have a good record at home.

FD

gerd said:
Watched the Real Madrid - Dynamo Kiev match. What an offensive festival by both teams. I was impressed by Kiev, in the end they were quite unlucky to have lost this match (good game by Casilas). Real is stil wonderfull in attack, but their defense is bad...
I'm not sure if Kiev is really that good as one mùight think after yesterdays match, or is it Madrid's defense which is terribly weak???
Yeah, Kiev are a very solid unit. I felt they should have got a point out of the game last night at least. Kleber looked especially impressive but a lot of his shots were straight at Casillas and others were saved well. Madrid looked quite woeful in defense though - Carlos hasn't got the foggiest idea about a full-back's defensive duties. He allowed Kiev to create so much space on the right and they really should have capatalised. Most impressive player for Real last night was Solari. Immense and came close to scoring a spectacular goal near the end. Ronaldo-smacked-in-the-ballsx2 was a good laugh.

What a defender Stam is, he had a stunning game. Sheva was dangerous before coming off, and Pirlo was great in helping the defence. Ronaldinho was quite disappointing, so was Larsson. But oh well, Milan top of the group :D

Back
Top Bottom