UEFA Champions League 05/06 Thread

haha what a shit game, it felt wierd, villa looked content with trying out their short pases from the training ground!

its a pity we have been robbed of a real champs league final i reckon uefa go back to first and second from european leagues only!

Last edited:
PLF said:
Damn! Marcos Senna I heard is doubtful too.

Man Gonzalo will be missed!!!! I'd loved to see him battle with Henry to see if he can mark him or not but I guess that'll have to wait for 2nd leg now if he returns.

hello mate

348826.jpg

you know the more i see of this guy the more impressed i am. one to add to the defensive midfielders thread me thinks.

I know he was sort of at fault for the goal, but apart from that his tenacity, tackling and general mopping up was first class.

I had no idea untill last night, that he was in line for a place in the Spanish NT either!

db

maradro said:
so far the villa-arse game is a joke. i havent seen such biased refereeing since WC 02. there are at least 4 yellow card fouls (including the penalty that didnt get called) that have gone uncalled and riquelme is getting hacked to shit everytime he gets the ball, then the piece of shit ref goes and cards riquelme for complaining. un-fucking-believable

Do you honestly believe that they were truly yellow card offences, if the Villareal players didn't go down like they had been snipered every time an Arsenal player came near them the ref may have given them more.

It was quite obvious the ref was getting really pissed off with them. It's about time these cheating continental teams got pulled up for what is a scurge on the game, not that Arsenal players don't do it but non-British teams are the worst for it. Lets see how much play acting goes on in Villareal as the clock ticks down and they need a goal!

Villarael Beat Barca 3-0 last year in the estadio elmadrigal...Dont get overconfident gooners just yet... :P
It will be a very hostile affair....

i expected lehman to rush at the squirrel, but that might have been one fight to many!

:lmao:

Nickybaker said:
Do you honestly believe that they were truly yellow card offences, if the Villareal players didn't go down like they had been snipered every time an Arsenal player came near them the ref may have given them more.

It was quite obvious the ref was getting really pissed off with them. It's about time these cheating continental teams got pulled up for what is a scurge on the game, not that Arsenal players don't do it but non-British teams are the worst for it. Lets see how much play acting goes on in Villareal as the clock ticks down and they need a goal!

Exactly. The diving and over reacting was awful. I applaud the ref for the way he clearly showed his frustration with the Villareal players.

It might of been a penalty, but Jose Mari didnt deserve shit. Even though he's an ex Milan player I have no love for him. He deserved to be booked.

I really hate blatant divers. Gilardino included.

chelsea_fan said:
Villarael Beat Barca 3-0 last year in the estadio elmadrigal...Dont get overconfident gooners just yet... :P
It will be a very hostile affair....

True that. It's a hell of an atmosphere at El Madrigal and I feel like a goal advantage won't be enough. We have to score in Spain.

Am I the only one who noticed that the so-called missed penalty for Jose Mari actually took place outside the penalty box and, as such, would not have been a penalty but a free-kick. And, oh, am I also the only who noticed that Gilberto kicked him on the back of his thigh and yet he swivelled backwards as if hit by a hatchet. This dude nearly injured himself trying to dive. I thank God for the referee's great vision.

Arsenal were superior because they are physically bigger, stronger and faster. Villareal players just couldn't stand on their feet when pushed by any Arsenal player. They were also very nervious, but hopefully they won't be nervious in spain.
If Riquelme creates just a little more room to himself at El Madrigal, they will be in Paris. Two magical goal assistances and the gunners will be out. A couple of free kicks will surely give him a considerable goal opportunity, too. Not to count penalties or distance shooting. I honestly don't see Arsenal making it to the final.

But on the other hand Arsenal is my favourite english side, and if they weren't playing Villareal, I'd really want them reach the final.

Btw, why were Villareal and Arsenal using a white nike ball with blue strips for a CL game?

Have a hunch it might be up to the home team to provide the match ball, hence Nike, though I'm not sure.

On the second-leg, Vilareal will have to attack more and that will leave space for Arsenal to exploit. I'd expect Arsenal to progress but wouldn't be that surprised if they didn't.

lucasetor said:
Am I the only one who noticed that the so-called missed penalty for Jose Mari actually took place outside the penalty box and, as such, would not have been a penalty but a free-kick. And, oh, am I also the only who noticed that Gilberto kicked him on the back of his thigh and yet he swivelled backwards as if hit by a hatchet. This dude nearly injured himself trying to dive. I thank God for the referee's great vision.

Yes, your the only one.

Am I the only one that thinks you may support a certain London team?

FD

Last edited:
oh man, its not looking good for the return leg.

Cafu, Nesta and Kaka all came off injured in todays game.

Along with Inzaghi, we could have four important players out against Barca :(

Adonis, I don't think they're really injured. Kaka will play for sure, you'll see. About injured players, barcelona is missing messi, xavi, larsson and oleguer. So at worst, it will be a injury-draw. lol.

I expect a good game, I'll be in the stadium watching it and have lot of respect for milan.

i wish messi will be fit, i really would like to see him play,
good news for barca, deco will be playing...

ac milan would need a miracle, pull a two rabbits from a hat or somthing :P

yellowsubmarines against the gunners tommorow! I expect a very fiesty affair. They will fight for every inch. Good luck to both.

denirobob said:
hello mate

348826.jpg

you know the more i see of this guy the more impressed i am. one to add to the defensive midfielders thread me thinks.

I know he was sort of at fault for the goal, but apart from that his tenacity, tackling and general mopping up was first class.

I had no idea untill last night, that he was in line for a place in the Spanish NT either!

db

I was impressed with how Tacchinardi has settled in Villareal's team, personally. Tacchinardi is so perfect in his simplicity. He can play one touch football all the time, while a lot of higher credited dmf's are usually very very slow to distribute the ball.

But then again Don, you see everything trough Juventus glasses...Tacchinardi was to blame for Touré's goal...Villareal played the off-side trap and Tacchinardi was not fast enough...Henry could pass to Ljungberg (otherwise Ljungeberg would have been off-side) who gave the assist to Touré...

For me Tacchinardi was the most deceiving Villareal player on the pitch.

gerd said:
But then again Don, you see everything trough Juventus glasses...Tacchinardi was to blame for Touré's goal...Villareal played the off-side trap and Tacchinardi was not fast enough...Henry could pass to Ljungberg (otherwise Ljungeberg would have been off-side) who gave the assist to Touré...

Wasn't that Hleb?

Tacchinardi was always solid player no doubt but when he came to Villarreal I actually didn't think he'd be an automatic first choice.

I thought Villarreal would go with Josico, Marcos Senna, Sorin and Riquelme in midfield as their "First choice if everyone's fit" and that is what they have done last year and at times this year but yeah Alessio is in team quite a lot nowadays too but I don't think his loss will be that huge! His experience in CL is a huge advantage but I prefer Josico anyway as my first choice so unless he's not fit I'm happy to see him start today.

gerd said:

Yes ofcourse, I have a coloured interpretation. I don't remember particularly that Tacchinardi was at fault, but I'll take your word for it. Besides that though, I still think he had a good game. Having said that, maybe I felt just both euphoric and nostalgic at the sight of Tacchinardi playing.

Boy, did i enjoyed that first half of Villareal-Arsenal...
I really liked the technical passing game of Villareal...they deserved a goal (but i think Arsenal will score in the second half).

Back
Top Bottom