UEFA Champions League 05/06 Thread

Don Domenico said:
Noted said:
It's scary how young he is.. he is a machine.

To be honest I can't see him staying at Inter at the height of his career. If they manage to keep him then great.

It's unbelieveable the amount of talent the comes out of Brazil.

Adriano :salute:

Yeah you're probably right, Inter have so much money problems and can't afford their stars. :l

The only money problem Inter has is having too much money. They get thousands of players each year. Right now they have 35 players and still want Cesar.

Adriano is loved by the fans, even at Parma he said he wanted to go back to Inter. During last nights match you could see he was having fun, after 3-1... he was doing stuff himmself for the fans, like the commentator said.

btw did anyone see his nutmeg? :shock:

Djurgarden 1 - 4 Juventus!!

YES! Great performance by Zambrotta, Olivera, Trezeguet, Nedved AND DEL PIERO! I know it was only djurgarden, but DEL PIERO IS BACK!

Now Moggi, bring on the signings :).

Don Domenico said:
Djurgarden 1 - 4 Juventus!!

YES! Great performance by Zambrotta, Olivera, Trezeguet, Nedved AND DEL PIERO! I know it was only djurgarden, but DEL PIERO IS BACK!

FORZA JUVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

Ale Ale Ale Aleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8)

Don Domenico said:
Isn't the deadline the 31st of August? I can't see Juve signing anyone major (someone who will get a start) before then.

I want to raise an issue about TV money in this thread, as it seems most appropriate. As it stands UEFA give out TV money based on viewing audience figures. Why is it that Scotland get far less than the English teams, if all their games are shown identically (on SKY or ITV1/2)?

Pot A: Porto (Portugal), Real Madrid (Spain), Valencia (Spain), Barcelona (Spain), Manchester United (England), Bayern Munich (Germany), Deportivo Coruna (Spain), Arsenal (England).

Pot B: AC Milan (Italy), Liverpool (England), Juventus (Italy), Inter Milan (Italy), AS Roma (Italy), Olympique Lyon (France), Chelsea (England), Panathinaikos (Greece).

Pot C: PSV Eindhoven (Netherlands), Bayer Leverkusen (Germany), Celtic (Scotland), Sparta Prague (Czech Republic), Monaco (France), Anderlecht (Belgium), Ajax Amsterdam (Netherlands), Paris St Germain (France).

Group D: Rosenborg Trondheim (Norway), Dynamo Kiev (Ukraine), Olympiakos (Greece), Werder Bremen (Germany), Shakhtar Donetsk (Ukraine), Fenerbahce (Turkey), Maccabi Tel Aviv (Israel), CSKA Moscow (Russia).

ClassicD said:
Don Domenico said:
Isn't the deadline the 31st of August? I can't see Juve signing anyone major (someone who will get a start) before then.

I want to raise an issue about TV money in this thread, as it seems most appropriate. As it stands UEFA give out TV money based on viewing audience figures. Why is it that Scotland get far less than the English teams, if all their games are shown identically (on SKY or ITV1/2)?

I can't tell you why it happens that way, but I think we (Chelsea) came 1st or 2nd in the money charts last season despite only getting to the semi's...... and we were a long way ahead of Porto and Monaco. I'm not sure they were even in the top 5! Very bizarre.

I can only imagine it has something to do with the market of the nation that team comes from. So advertisers spend more money on English, Spanish, German and Italian TV and that revenue somehow makes it's way round again in the form of prize money. Sky still isn't a very big market compared to terrestrial viewers so it all depends how many people watch Man Utd on ITV1 compared to people watching Celtic on STV (if that's what it's called).

ClassicD said:
Don Domenico said:

Well Juve usually buy players late, some even in the last hour of the market (Di Vaio two years ago). Anyway Moggi and Bettega said there would be signings after they qualify, so it would be safe to buy and not to inbalance the books.

We still really need a world class centralback, maybe a new striker. Oddo and Jankulovski have been linked for a long time and still seem very probable.

I would like Celtic to get Real Madrid or AC Milan/Internazionale, we have played Barcelona and Juventus already and it'd be nice to go to one of those stadiums. Roma would be cool too. There are 4 English teams in the draw as well, a good chance we will get one of those.

No doubt fate will re-unite us with Jose Mourinho, or Barcelona now Henrik has gone there...

T Butcher fan said:
I can only imagine it has something to do with the market of the nation that team comes from. So advertisers spend more money on English, Spanish, German and Italian TV and that revenue somehow makes it's way round again in the form of prize money. Sky still isn't a very big market compared to terrestrial viewers so it all depends how many people watch Man Utd on ITV1 compared to people watching Celtic on STV (if that's what it's called).
I'm told it's to do with the population of the country as well. This is pretty shit as Monaco get the benefit of France's population (despite not being part of France), and have the whole tax-free thing as well.

Crookeder than a crooked thing I say...

I don't think it's the population so much as the %age of the population that watches televised football. Germany is apparently the largest market, followed by England. Spain and Italy are only a little bit behind. The French population is larger than the English, but despite getting to the final they were along way behind ourselves and arsenal in prize money. This is obviously because their population is out sipping 'un café' rather than in front of the goggle box with a can of Carling.

The other thing you notice is that for an ITV game on a Tuesday night, the big, prestige companies have their adverts shown. You will see lot's of ads for vast multi-nationals like Microsoft, IBM, Nike, McDonalds and Ford, but when I watched the Celtic games on ITV2 last year, companies like e-sure and Ronseal filled the gap. Obviously, buying time during the Celtic game (shown in England) is much more affordable than Man Utd vs plucky part time Bulgarian outfit.

The larger companies obviously advertise during Celtic's games when shown on STV, but the difference is that STV can only guarantee an audience of about 5 million will see your ad, so you can't charge as much as ITV who can guarantee that 15 million will see the same ad.

So yes, it's a stitch up entirely designed for the rich clubs to get richer, and the rich advertisers to get richer. Think about that the next time you buy a Nike pair of trainers. ;)

And Porto are paired with Chelsea! Should be fun! Here's the full draw :)

Deportivo La Coruna
LIVERPOOL
Monaco
Olympiakos

Real Madrid
AS Roma
Bayer Leverkusen
Dynamo Kiev

Bayern Munich
Juventus
Ajax
Maccabi Tel-Aviv

MANCHESTER UNITED
Olympique Lyonnais
Sparta Prague
Fenerbahce

ARSENAL
Panathinaikos
PSV Eindhoven
Rosenborg

Barcelona
AC Milan
CELTIC
Shakhtar Donetsk

Valencia
Inter Milan
Anderlecht
Werder Bremen

FC Porto
CHELSEA
Paris Saint Germain
CSKA Moscow

Celtic will face Larsson too!

Barcelona
Milan
Celtic
Shaktar Donetsk

Well I got my wish, a Milan club, but I knew Larsson would come back to haunt us. Shaktar is kind of an unknown quantity but going to that part of the world is never easy, just ask Rangers ;). They have Aghahowa I think. Can't wait!!!

ClassicD said:
Barcelona
Milan
Celtic
Shaktar Donetsk

Well I got my wish, a Milan club, but I knew Larsson would come back to haunt us. Shaktar is kind of an unknown quantity but going to that part of the world is never easy, just ask Rangers ;). They have Aghahowa I think. Can't wait!!!

Cant wait either, im getting my tickets for Milan-Celtic and Milan-Barca!!!

GROUP A
Deportivo
LIVERPOOL
Monaco
Olympiakos

An interesting group to say the least

GROUP A
Liverpool (England)
Deportivo La Coruna (Spain)
Monaco (France)
Olympiakos (Greece)

GROUP B

Real Madrid (Spain)
Dynamo Kiev (Ukraine)
AS Roma (Italy)
Bayer Leverkusen (Germany)

GROUP C
Juventus (Italy)
Bayern Munich (Germany)
Ajax Amsterdam (Holland)
Maccabi Tel Aviv (Israel)

GROUP D
Manchester United (England)
Olympique Lyon (France)
Sparta Prague (Czech Republic)
Fenerbahce (Turkey)

GROUP E
Arsenal (England)
Panathinaikos (Greece)
PSV Eindhoven (Holland)
Rosenborg Trondheim (Norway)

GROUP F
AC Milan (Italy)
Barcelona (Spain)
Celtic (Scotland)
Shakhtar Donetsk (Ukraine)

GROUP G
Valencia (Spain)
Inter Milan (Italy)
Werder Bremen (Germany)
Anderlecht (Belgium)

GROUP H
Chelsea (England)
Porto (Portugal)
Paris St Germain (France)
CSKA Moscow (Russia)

That's how I see things lining up at the end.

IceMan_Bergkamp said:
CWright said:
GROUP A
Deportivo
LIVERPOOL
Monaco
Olympiakos

An interesting group to say the least

Rivaldo should be interesting to see. I'm looking forward to watching Chevanton tho'.
And I hope D'Alessandro going to sign with Deportivo, in this group I can see to Cissé, Chevantón, Rivaldo, Valerón... not bad.
But the Group F with Barcelona and AC Milán... :shock: .

Back
Top Bottom