UEFA Champions League 05/06 Thread

Being a Juventino, none of the games will be easy as Ajax & Bayern can be good as anyone on any given day and we need to capitalise on last years blowout which saw Depor go through but neverthless, if we sought our defence out which is simply shocking then we have as good a chance as anyone.

ps: Is it just me but most of the Italian teams have harder groups. :roll:

bradley1886 said:
what are rosenborg like these days? haven't seen them in years

Rosenborg is always hard to beat at Lerkendal, they`ve a good team this year, but they`ve been struggeling this season. They`ve just earned the top spot and it will be an exiting race for the championship between Tromsø and Rosenborg. Arsenal will be in for a hard battle (btw it`s a tragedy that rosenborg haven`t been included in Pes/WE). Watch out for Daniel Braaten which is norways new hot shot(22 years), he has got pace, strenght and an incredible technique (RW/Striker).. He might as well play against Italy in Palermo (for Norway), after his stunning game yesterday. Rosenborg has just bought him from Skeid, and he was the one that got rosenborg the win against Haifa (evil team) with a fantastic goal.. watch out ashley!

Already a few groups of Death, with Milan-Barca and Bayern-Juve, and probably Valencia-Inter.
Arsenal and ManU are lucky to get relatively easy draws.

Liverpool's group will be tight, Depor are a Jekyll and Hyde team, one day they're crap, the next day the best in Europe.
Hopefully Rafa Benitez knows how to neutralize their attack.
Monaco are not as good as they were last year, but they could still cause an upset.
Olympiakos are probably the weakest team.

I fancy Inter this time, I think they could really go far this year.

Teams in bold will go through. Manchester United and Arsenal got the luckiest draws. Group B (Real Madrid, Leverkusen, Roma), Group C (Bayern Munich, Juventus, Ajax), and Group F (Milan, Barcelona, Celtic) will be the most interesting ones to watch.

Group A
Olympiacos
Liverpool
Monaco
Deportivo

Group B
Real Madrid
Leverkusen
Roma
Dynamo Kyiv

Group C
Bayern Munich
Juvetus
Ajax
Tel-Aviv

Group D
Lyon
Sparta
Manchester United
Fenerbahce

Group E
PSV Eindhoven
Panathinaikos
Arsenal
Rosenborg

Group F
Celtic
Milan
Barcelona
Shakhtar

Group G
Werder Bremen
Anderlecht
Inter
Valencia

Group H
Porto
Paris St. Germain
Chelsea
CSKA Moskva

14th September
Matchday 1 - Tuesday
E Arsenal 20:45 PSV
E Panathinaikos 20:45 Rosenborg
F Celtic 20:45 Barcelona
F Shakhtar 20:45 Milan
G Internazionale 20:45 Bremen
G Valencia 20:45 Anderlecht
H Porto 20:45 CSKA Moskva
H PSG 20:45 Chelsea

15th September
Matchday 1 - Wednesday
A Deportivo 20:45 Olympiacos
A Liverpool 20:45 Monaco
B Leverkusen 20:45 Real Madrid
B Roma 20:45 Dynamo Kyiv
C Ajax 20:45 Juventus
C M. Tel-Aviv 20:45 Bayern
D Fenerbahçe 20:45 Sparta
D Lyon 20:45 Man. United

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/ucl/FixturesResults/index.html

More or less, every major european team has made it this season. I'm expecting this year to be as close as ever.

All the groups are interesting too.

First day : French clubs vs English clubs

PSG vs. Chelsea
Liverpool vs. Monaco
Lyon vs. Manchester United

Last year all French clubs destroy English clubs and this year...

I'm quietly confident about PSG, despite tipping them to win the league. :oops: They've had a bad start to the French season, drawing 2-2 with Caen (who also beat Monaco 1-0 recently) and losing 2-1 to Toulouse and Rennes.

Professor Nutmeg said:
I'm quietly confident about PSG, despite tipping them to win the league. :oops: They've had a bad start to the French season, drawing 2-2 with Caen (who also beat Monaco 1-0 recently) and losing 2-1 to Toulouse and Rennes.

yes, it's true, maybe in CL it's different motivation
look Marseille in UEFA last year.

Can anyone tell me whether Stuttgart even got a chance to play a qualifying game or not?? I thought they finished ahead of Leverkusen in the Bundesliga, meaning they should get a qualifying game for the Champs League for finishing 3rd, but i havent even heard their name mentioned.

Thanks.

ghazi said:
Can anyone tell me whether Stuttgart even got a chance to play a qualifying game or not?? I thought they finished ahead of Leverkusen in the Bundesliga, meaning they should get a qualifying game for the Champs League for finishing 3rd, but i havent even heard their name mentioned.

Thanks.

Sadly Stuttgart came in fourth last season, behind Leverkusen.

Professor Nutmeg said:

Been a couple of weeks on holiday in France Prof and was able to watcg quite a few matches on television...and read the excellent L'equipe magazine...
PSG are dreadfull in the French championship...they will go out in CL....i'm sure of that...
A French team i really like this season is Metz, lots of good young players and one very, very good one: Riberry...wonderfull player who came from a scond division club (what do you think of Riberry Thomasgoal????).

Gerd posting as Stan...

Stan said:
Professor Nutmeg said:

Been a couple of weeks on holiday in France Prof and was able to watcg quite a few matches on television...and read the excellent L'equipe magazine...
PSG are dreadfull in the French championship...they will go out in CL....i'm sure of that...
A French team i really like this season is Metz, lots of good young players and one very, very good one: Riberry...wonderfull player who came from a scond division club (what do you think of Riberry Thomasgoal????).

Gerd posting as Stan...

I do not know it, it's a French player ?

Anyone know if they'll show any of this on either Fox Sports World or one of the ESPNs?

Damn USA... :x

Dime said:
Anyone know if they'll show any of this on either Fox Sports World or one of the ESPNs?

Damn USA... :x

i would think so mate. in canada we get TSN and it shows the two best matches of the day. so for milan, real, juve, man utd, arse, etc (i didnt leave out any clubs because i dont like them ;)) you get to see them play. the point is, tsn does not broadcast these matches, however, it's espn that does it. soo im thinking espn2, or something will have it.

best of luck

-fb

HAHA, hello domenico, yes im back, lengthy time i was away, and as for you milan, ... SHH to you too :D

anyhow, Manchester United, Sparta Prague, Olympique Lyonnais, and Fenerbahce should be interesting.

-fb

cheers mate.

back to CL talk, in response to lionheart's predictions in group D, you think sparta prague will fall to fenerbahce? i dont know much about turkish football, but i would think sparta prague would be a better pick.

anyone have the low-down on the two clubs?

-fb

footieBalla said:
cheers mate.

back to CL talk, in response to lionheart's predictions in group D, you think sparta prague will fall to fenerbahce? i dont know much about turkish football, but i would think sparta prague would be a better pick.

anyone have the low-down on the two clubs?

-fb

Fener = turkish champs
Sparta = not the same team they used to be

i think Fener will qualify, they have a solid squad this year, also because they signed Alex this year

soo by the sounds of it, sparta isnt a threat anymore? isnt porborsky still there? he had a good showing in euro04 right? i guess all this talk about these two clubs i forgot about the french champions, lyon. stroll in the park init?

-fb

Back
Top Bottom