UEFA Champions League 05/06 Thread

Re: UEFA Champions League 04/05 Thread

That penalty last year was a silly mistake by Bobo and definetely a penalty, although last night we saw how your team is classed that those decisions will go against any of the so called smaller team i.e. Scholes elbowing away the free-kick from Juninho.

FD

I was in the arena to watch the game Ajx- Juve and it was excellent. Everything, from the warm-up to the end of the game. EXCELLENT night. EVerything Is so different from watching it in on the TV.

AnywayHere are my grades of the Juve players,:

Buffon 6.5: Ajax never really penetrated our defence properly but Buffon really seemed on top of his game or maybe I just enjoyed his warm-up .

Birindelli 5.5 : Didn't make any mistakes but didn't play outstanding as well. Didn't look threatening at ALL. Never thought I'd say this but I can't wait to see Zebina again!

Zambrotta: 7- : Solid at the back, Great runs and combinations with DP and Nedved. Always looking for the run and the 1-2. Rambo was a bit unlucky with his crosses, but that'll come good again. Which impressed me the most though (which you are able to see especially in a stadium) was his positioning both offensively (he was always available to get the ball) and defensively (always covering his man or on time for the off-side trap, Sonck must've been offside for about 40 times yesterday).

Cannavaro: 6.5. Looked Solid. Really good leadership in defence, good game and never let his man go.

Thuram: 8.5 !: Oh my God! Has he ever been this good!? This guy was amazing! Pure defending at it's best! Perfect positining, great tackling (I remeber namely when Sonck broke through and Thuram made a perfect tackle from behind on the balll), excellent composure, great reading well alll in all SHIT HE WAS GOOD! If Thuram keeps up this form, he might guide us to titles based on our defence!
I critized Thuram a lot last season, but now... FORZA Thuram!

Emerson 6.5: Played a bit in the role of the ball-winner which he did good and he also distributed the ball well. A few nice combinations. He had a few moments in the game where he faded a bit away, but overall he was very solid.

Blasi 5.5: Against Brescia I thought he was amazing, not yesterday though. Emerson did Blasi's job and more. Blasi didn't really have much to add to the play but marking a player. He played solid and fought for each and every ball that was near him, but I he needs to improve a bit.

Camoranesi 5.5: Had some good moments and improved dramatically in the second half but he had a lot mistakes in the first half and lost a lot of balls. Our right side lacked penetration and didn't look dangerous at all throughout the match.
Had some good moments in the second half and a (lucky) assist which saves his grade a bit.

Nedved 7.5: He was obviously the main engine of our team, created almost every attack. Great dribbles and runs good work and kept on running and even tackling. We needed his work though on the left because there was no threat from the right side at all, opposed to the big threat on the left side (Rambo, Nedved, DP). Nedved truly played in a free role, drifting in all the time, leaving room for Zambrotta to cut in.
Ajax (the audiance and the players) really hated Nedved's guts though alll the jeering and frustrating tackles made Nedved frustrated himself, which could've lead to a second yellow card(tackle on de Jong, but the ref did not see it). It lead to a goal though, shame about his injury because Olivera was about to come in for Camo not for Nedved.

Del Piero 6.5: Really showed his class and skills yesterday. Excellent pass which led to the goal and some excellent dribbles. All his moves lacked a certain effectiveness though and as the game wore on he sometimes stayed too long on the ball, namely once: neglecting which could've been an excellent combination with Emerson. So all in all a good performance, but he needs to do a bit more with his skills and at the right times.

Zlatan: 5.5: Slightly dissapointing, but Capello refused to sub him so he must've done something right. So I did not give him an even lower grade. Looked threating at times and was very strong on the ball. Good jesture from the crowd which gave him a standing ovation instead of wistling.

SUBS(I won't grade the subs, but i;ll report on them):
Olivera: --: GREAT GREAT GREAT Player! He is a mixture of Nedved(great shot, runs, passing, strength reads the game excellent and can be an engine)and south american flair player(dribbling and playmaking). I really hope Olivera will start on the right the next game because him and NEdved on the flanks would be so ****ing amazing. He would add so much more to our game than Camoranesi. Oli and Zebina would be so much better than Camo and Biri.
Oh and I'm now 100% sure ( I was right ) that Olivera is right footed, he takes freekicks and corners with his right foot.
..What a future star!

Pessotto: The same as Birindelli really......

Appiah: Ideal sub, when Ajax was getting the upperhand his running and persitance really screws up the opposing teams rythm. He did a good job disturbing attack and distributing the ball.
--------------

That was all .

Any comments ?

Boy am i happy that Real Madrid were thrashed...good thing for football...
Congratulations to Man Utd 2-2 in Lyon is a good result. Van Nistelrooy proved again what a clas player he is (in the Premiership Henry is better, but internationally it definitely is Van The Man...
Glad to see that the Man Utd are beginning to see that Ferguson is useless.

Congrats Vann, hope this will cheer you (contrary on what you may think i'm not happy when Man Utd looseà.

Gerd posting as Stan

Stan said:
Boy am i happy that Real Madrid were thrashed...good thing for football...
Congratulations to Man Utd 2-2 in Lyon is a good result. Van Nistelrooy proved again what a clas player he is (in the Premiership Henry is better, but internationally it definitely is Van The Man...
Glad to see that the Man Utd are beginning to see that Ferguson is useless.

Congrats Vann, hope this will cheer you (contrary on what you may think i'm not happy when Man Utd looseà.

Gerd posting as Stan

Nice one Gerd, your a true gent.

The result was great in the circumstances, I would have settled for a point before the game so to score two away from home was okay (IMO), Gonna have to improve if we want to do well though......

What a result for Leverkusen, I saw Madrid towards the end of last season and they looked awful, especially against (relegated) Murcia, only saw the goals last nite so dont know how they played, although Camacho (sp) said Leverkusen we're the better team so that speaks volumes.

I mentioned it in the LFC thread but that was a good result for the scousers, yeah Monaco arent the same team from last season but still, well done scousers.

IMO Roma should be banned, yeah it sounds harsh but the way English clubs are (STILL) treated on the continent and by uefa/fifa stinks, if this had been us or another English team there would be huge implications. For me being that of all the top seeded teams Italy has the worst hooligan problem (which reminds me of the dark days of football during the 70's) the Italian FA need to get this sorted or all Italian teams could be banned, and believe me it aint nice.

Also gotta mention the (once again) heavy handed (and unecessary) police tactics against United fans last nite in Lyon, I mean WTF!! tear gas on fans, FFS!! fair enough they may have been abit rowdy but FFS its getting ridiclous. Visiting Euro supporters pretty much get the freedom of the city when they visit Manchester and NEVER get abused by us or the police, but this is never reciprocated, makes me sick!!

Anyway, lol, rant over. Overall I defo enjoyed the first week of CL footy, roll on the 28/29 Sept!

Vannizzlefashizzal said:
Also gotta mention the (once again) heavy handed (and unecessary) police tactics against United fans last nite in Lyon, I mean WTF!! tear gas on fans, FFS!! fair enough they may have been abit rowdy but FFS its getting ridiclous. Visiting Euro supporters pretty much get the freedom of the city when they visit Manchester and NEVER get abused by us or the police, but this is never reciprocated, makes me sick!!
What were they doing, I never heard about this? Celtic had no problems there last season.

FD yeah it was a penalty because Bobo jumped in a daft fashion, but if that was Wes Brown they'd never have given a PK that would knock Man Utd out of the tournament, IMO.

ClassicD said:
What were they doing, I never heard about this? Celtic had no problems there last season.

Unconfirmed at the moment

From http://football.guardian.co.uk/Match_Report/0,1527,1305603,00.html

After you've sifted thru several paragraphs of fodder, at the bottom of the page:-

"· Travelling United fans complained that French police let off tear gas before the game in what they described as an over-reaction to crowd congestion outside the stadium."

UEFA have ordered Roma to play their next two European home games behind closed doors, after the Dynamo Kiev match was abandoned.

Last week’s Champions’ League tie in Rome was stopped at half-time after the referee was hit by an object thrown from the crowd.

Anders Frisk was left with a cut on his head, thought to have been caused by a coin, and was unable to continue.

The incident occurred as the official was preparing to enter the tunnel at the break, just moments after sending-off Roma stopper Philippe Mexes.

UEFA’s Control and Disciplinary Body met today and have delivered a number of verdicts.

"In taking the decision the Control and Disciplinary Body took into account the seriousness of the nature of the incident," read a statement.

Kiev, who were winning 1-0 at the time, have been awarded a 3-0 away victory as many predicted.

Roma have been allowed to remain in the competition but their games against Bayer Leverkusen and Real Madrid will now be played in an empty Stadio Olimpico.

UEFA have also handed Mexes a two-match suspension for "particularly unsporting conduct."

Roma have until midnight on Friday 24 September to make any appeal to the UEFA Control and Disciplinary Body.

No fine then???
I don't think this is the harshest sanction i've ever witnessed...if i were Frisk i would be disappointed...

The Red Devils versus The Yellow Canaries
We have van Hooijdonk, Alex, Tuncay, Rustu, Umit Ozat and other quality player.
We will play with our braveheart!
We can win.

CL 96/97

Last edited:

Bring on Fenerbahce!!!!!! rooney should be playing so he can unlock their defence

cant wait, i expect it to be an absolute gem!

-fb

Chilavert said:
We can win.

you have tim howard too. dont forget

This match could decide which team becomes 3th and 4th in the group...Although you never know with that sort of teams...they can start the season in bad shape and play really good when it matters...the omens are bad however...

Looking forward to the games, tonight. Will probably watch the Man Utd game, they'll have to beware of free-kicks outside the box, with the best taker in the world for me Pierre Van Hooijdonk being a danger.FD

Chilavert said:
We can win.

CL 96/97

yes I remember that game all to well, our 1st ever defeat at home in Europe, and it was shite goal that beat us.....

You can never be too confident with European games, especially when they've beat us before...

But!!!

Tonite is a revenge mission, Fergie has admitted that he's gutted to be the manager that lost our record and being we cant afford to lose or draw tonite it should be a good one!!

Vann, you know my opinion on Ferguson , so it's rather symbolic that it was him who lost the home record, but i also know that you don't agree with me.
Let's change subject then and let me say that i hope Man Utd will play a good match. And yes FD, Pie-Air is a fabulous free kick taker, so beware of contact just before the penalty area (they will certainly dive).

Prof,

Deportivo looks to be a shadow of the great team that outclassed Milan last year, and Monaco is not as good as last year's team neither...

gerd said:
Prof,

Deportivo looks to be a shadow of the great team that outclassed Milan last year, and Monaco is not as good as last year's team neither...

Yeah, Depor are in a bit of a crisis, they didn't really add to their squad over the summer. Of course, Monaco have lost their big guns, but they are still riding high in Le Championnat. I doubt it will be the stunner it was last year. Probably 1-0 to Monaco, or even 0-0.

Vannizzlefashizzal said:
yes I remember that game all to well, our 1st ever defeat at home in Europe, and it was shite goal that beat us.....

You can never be too confident with European games, especially when they've beat us before...

But!!!

Tonite is a revenge mission, Fergie has admitted that he's gutted to be the manager that lost our record and being we cant afford to lose or draw tonite it should be a good one!!

what round was this?

Professor Nutmeg said:
Yeah, Depor are in a bit of a crisis, they didn't really add to their squad over the summer. Of course, Monaco have lost their big guns, but they are still riding high in Le Championnat. I doubt it will be the stunner it was last year. Probably 1-0 to Monaco, or even 0-0.

Monaco'll improve a great deal when Chevanton returns from injury.

My sweet Roma is leading 2:0 with Real after two, tremendouz goals. Hail to Totti! Real sux badly recently.

amaru said:
My sweet Roma is leading 2:0 with Real after two, tremendouz goals. Hail to Totti! Real sux badly recently.
Roma hasn't exactly been sterling either, to be honest.

Monaco 2-0 Deportivo
Olympiacos 1-0 Liverpool
Dynamo Kyiv 4-2 Leverkusen
Real Madrid 4-2 Roma
Bayern 4-0 Ajax
Juventus 1-0 M. Tel-Aviv
Man. United 6-2 Fenerbahçe
Sparta 1-2 Lyon

Hat trick by Makaay and Rooney

Back
Top Bottom