UEFA Champions League 05/06 Thread

too bad for villarreal. they dominated possession, Senna was pretty solid, hes very impressive.. ya i agree, GUAYRE needed to be in the game, mistake by the chilian manager to leave him out...extra time would have been nice, riquelme, very dissapointing, he beckhamed the penalty kick...forlan missed an empty net,, it was that kind of a night...

interesting to see whose fit and whose not for wednesdays game..

OneProudGooner said:
I think Jose Mari took full advantage of that challenge for the penalty, it was certainly a dive.
About this Gilberto should of been sent off nonsense I don't think so maybe a yellow but I don't really care about the incident

Arsenal are in the final yes, but if they play like yesterday they will be thrashed...

Jose Mari went down exagerated, but there was a foul...
And Gilberto should have been sent off, if you don't see that....
To me over both matches Villareal clearly was the better and more attractive team...but Arsenal is in the final and you can't say it's undeserved if you look at their run in the CL...if you only look at the semi-finals then Villareal was clearly the better team...but that's all talk afterwards...

I hope Arsenal play better in the final...considering the attractive football they are playing for some years now, they derserve to win the CL.

PS: Kolo Touré is a great player, Campbell an has been...

As has already stated, Franco is pish, I honestly can't understand how this guy plays for them. I remember watching the football with some mates and we where pissing ourselves laughing at him as his contribution to the game was 3 rugby tackles and I do mean Rugby tackles. For me Villareal where never gonna get past Arsenal, not because Arsenal are all that great, but because they are poor up front. Forlan is once again showing his true colours, the guy is a squib. I remember seeing them against Rangers and thought that they would be a bye for any team that met them, Rangers could and probably should have put them out (coming from a Celtic fan, Rangers played far superior to Arsenal against them).

Congrats to Arsenal on getting there, but it was enivitable that they would some time with the woeful groups they seem to get and they where quite lucky in the draw, but they had to beat the teams and that's what they did.

Mind you I don't think they stand a chance against Barca (or even Milan should they get past Barca). The defence will be their downfall, I like Toure but the other guys at the back will get a new arse torn for them. Henry is Arsenal's only hope, but for me Barca have around 3 or 4 Henry's and far more clinical than him.

FD

Sorry to say this, but the way Arsenal played was a disgrace. Teams should be punished for such things. A disgrace to football in general. I'm not a bitter fan, I don't support any team that was close to winning the CL, but from an objective point of view it was terrible to watch. The only way football really sells is through attractive games. Wenger is a fucking asshole in general, but now even more.

200_pesos said:
Yep I should have phrased better and so should you, dont tell me to "watch" not to be aggressive but just saying it sounded kinda like a threat. I respect Henry highly and only saw one angle of the replay once which is what they showed. I love him as a player and I don't know but from what I saw, the ball was away and afteward he fell, but you probably are right as I can't really see Henry playing dirty like that.
never was a threat,just did want him to be label as reyes is...

i think henry was tired of running back to defend and help the tired no resting back and sol ,clichy who haven`t played in months

I doubt arsenal will deploy same risky tactics, because they will be on a neutral ground, paris, arsenal has a few french players, and a manager french, so it will be going home...

for tonite, i think barca win 2-1/3-1. :P

i THINK henry likes his new jersey. :lol:

capt.lmd83604252218.spain_soccer_champions_league_lmd836.jpg

Got mixed feelings for tonight. I think we still have a chance for passing, since any victory for Milan means qualification (1-0 extra time). Its not impossible, but its not easy. Wont feel too down if we lose by a goal margin or a draw.... I hope who ever wins this round wins the CL... as it is more deserved imo than the other side of the tree because of the teams faced (Lyon, Bayern, Chelsea, Benfica, Milan or Barca as opposed to Villarreal, Inter and Juve).

Indeed. I agree. You also forgot Real Madrid on the other side which was piss poor while this side had the best ones in the world. (Pretty unbalanced but hey Arsenal did the job they were out against to do so credits to them for getting to finals) but yeah I do think also the winner of this one will get to final and win the CL.

i remeber when everybody said that about Liverpool,to bad A_milan.In any given day any team could win,1st leg milan had many chances and barca had one,but continue you have that right

joostebrood said:
Sorry to say this, but the way Arsenal played was a disgrace. Teams should be punished for such things. A disgrace to football in general. I'm not a bitter fan, I don't support any team that was close to winning the CL, but from an objective point of view it was terrible to watch. The only way football really sells is through attractive games. Wenger is a fucking asshole in general, but now even more.

What a joke, we've played 2 negative games in about 3 years and no one gives Villarreal any credit for the way they closed us down.

We wont play that way in the final and I think we will surprise a few people against Barca.

beboquintero said:
i remeber when everybody said that about Liverpool,to bad A_milan.In any given day any team could win,1st leg milan had many chances and barca had one,but continue you have that right

Not saying Arsenal wont win, I just said I hope that who ever wins tonight wins the CL. As you said, any team can win on any day... as long as they really push for a win.

Nickybaker said:
What a joke, we've played 2 negative games in about 3 years and no one gives Villarreal any credit for the way they closed us down.
We wont play that way in the final and I think we will surprise a few people against Barca.

Joost simply wants to say that over the two legs Villareal was the best team from a neutral point of view....
This semi reminds me of Milan-PSV last year....

The main difference though Stan is that 6 goals were scored over 2 legs, rather than the catenaccio-like 2 legs of Arsenal-Villarreal. PSV imo were much better than Villarreal, and were more motivated to win that game.

Yeah gotta agree with Mila again. PSV were better and definitely played with more urgency and motive to get back and win possibly.

Much more entertaining match that one.

Allow me to disagree my friends...the Milan-PSV matches were very spectacular, but the passingthat Villareal showed yesterday during the first60 minutes was beautiful (but rather ineffective).

It reminded me a tiny litle bit about a certain Deportivo-Milan, but that was football from another planet...

HT 0-0

Costacurta was very lucky to get away with a yellow on that last challenge on Eto'o as many other refs on another day would've brought out the red card for that instance as they could say he was "Last man" and he was indeed. However it wasn't a definite 100% "Red-card or ref is wrong" situation because it was Serginho I believe (not sure about this) who was tracking back and he does have the pace to perhaps catch up with Eto'o if Eto'o had to also go around Costacurta on that situation so perhaps that's why it's a yellow.

In anycase some will say it should've been a red some will say yellow will do but I'm not here to discuss that. I'm personally fine with either way decision went.

But for Milan's sake now one of the things Ancelotti needs to do in my opinion is take off Costacurta at HT and bring on Maldini to center of defence to help out Kaladze (who made that absolutely beautiful and all important interception with a stretching tackle from a Ronaldinho throughball that had me get up and :applause: ) or put Stam in middle and Cafu on right-side. I prefer the Maldini choice!

Reason is Costacurta at 40 quite clearly doesn't have the pace to race with Giuly, Eto'o and Ronaldinho when needed (if needed) and most likely in the 45 mins remaining a couple more races will be needed from him.

Maldini may not be that much faster or Stam moving in middle of defence (who is definitelty faster) but at least these two people don't have a "yellow" card and I have a feeling unless Ancelotti makes this move, he will commit another yellow-card worthy foul and be ejected which will harm Milan's hopes.

So better make the change now in my opinion! A very slow man playing in center of pitch where many important well-timed tackles are needed with a "Yellow-card" is a bit too risky in my opinion.

Last edited:
Well played Barca. Cant say they didnt deserve it as we had our chances. Thought Shevchenko's goal was perfectly fine... Puyol fell over himself, which was strange why it was disallowed.

Other than than, congratulations and I hope Barca win it.

Yeah no foul from Sheva on that play. Puyol fell himself but I thought the ref called it for something else like foul from someone else, a bit strange but anyways it doesn't matter now.

Glad to see Barca in final and hope they can win it! 8)

Ancelotti also did right thing to bring off Costacurta for Cafu or that could've cost them with getting a 2nd yellow.

Couple of very nice defensive work and one very nice tackle by Eto'o as well in 2nd half in the period where he was playing as a LWF/LM and tracking back!

I think Ancelotti overestimated the Barca defence, and thought the only way to crack it was through one of our playmaker's deadly passes. All he had to do was push serginho up or put in Jankulovski, and ask them to cross more often rather than trying to crack through the middle which was swarmed by Barca players. Pippo's sub was pointless, and Rui's wasnt the right one, even thought it wasnt bad.
Oh well, its over now, cant say we were outplayed, but the way they took their chances gave them the deserved qualification.

I agree on Shevchenko's goal but I think Valdes could reach the goal. I think he heard the referee and stop.

After these 2 matchs, I have bigger regrets for Lyon. Lyon doesn't miss lots of chances. But we lose because Milan had heart and envy.

Tonight, Eto'o was very poor. And Ronnie tried too much. Milan coulnd't accelerate the game, that's the difference between the two teams.

Congrats Milan and Dida for his great performance. Good luck Barca in St Denis.

Quick question guys ?

iniesta or fabregas who is better?

arsenal better not try what they did yesterday or how the played in the fa cup 05 in paris!

Last edited:
tuta77 said:
Tonight, Eto'o was very poor.

I thought Eto'o did a fantastic job. :shock: And how many times do you see a striker running back and forth trying to get the ball near the corner flag if needed?

at this moment in time I feel so angry with the ref. The goal was clearly good. One of things I guess. Last night it was never a penalty but it was given. Mistakes happen in footy, just wish it wasnt tonight.

I think this match was lost in the San Siro. If Gilardino took one of his chances in the first match it wouldve been a different story.

Ancelotti spoke after the about bringing in new players. I hope either Gilardino has a great World Cup and gets some confidence back, or hes simply sold and we get someone else in. Also I'd like a new midfielder to freshen things up.

total said:
I thought Eto'o did a fantastic job. :shock: And how many times do you see a striker running back and forth trying to get the ball near the corner flag if needed?
It's his job ! And his job is to score. He put Barcelona in a bad situation by missing all these actions. That's the most important thing. A quick goal and Milan would have to score 3 times !!! Barca had the pressure missing everything (with a great Dida) and Milan was still in the game.

He will have to put the ball in the net during the finale because I'm not sure Henry will miss his only chance...

Back
Top Bottom