UEFA Champions League 2014/2015

Damjan

World Cup Winner
16 July 2011
Arsenal|Juventus|ASSE
500px-UEFA_Champions_League_logo_2.svg.png

The first draw was just done so it's time for a new thread. Here are the results of the first draw:

First qualifying round (1/2 and 8/9 July)
FC Santa Coloma (AND) v FC Banants (ARM)
Lincoln FC (GIB) v HB Tórshavn (FRO)
SP La Fiorita (SMR) v FC Levadia Tallinn (EST)

Second qualifying round (15/16 and 22/23 July)
FC BATE Borisov (BLR) v KS Skënderbeu (ALB)
Maccabi Tel-Aviv FC (ISR) v FC Santa Coloma (ARM)/FC Banants (ARM)
FC Dinamo Tbilisi (GEO) v FK Aktobe (KAZ)
HŠK Zrinjski (BIH) v NK Maribor (SVN)
FC Sheriff (MDA) v FK Sutjeska (MNE)
AC Sparta Praha (CZE) v SP La Fiorita (SMR)/FC Levadia Tallinn (EST)
Malmö FF (SWE) v FK Ventspils (LVA)
ŠK Slovan Bratislava (SVK) v The New Saints FC (WAL)
Celtic FC (SCO) v KR Reykjavík (ISL)
Cliftonville FC (NIR) v Debreceni VSC (HUN)
FK Partizan (SRB) v Lincoln FC (GIB)/HB Tórshavn (FRO)
Legia Warszawa (POL) v Saint Patrick's Athletic (IRL)
FK Rabotnicki (MKD) v HJK Helsinki (FIN)
GNK Dinamo Zagreb (CRO) v VMFD Žalgiris (LTU)
PFC Ludogorets Razgrad (BUL) v F91 Dudelange (LUX)
Valletta FC (MLT) v Qarabağ FK (AZE)
Strømsgodset IF (NOR) v FC Steaua Bucureşti (ROU)

Some good looking matches, particularly interested in Strømsgodset - Steaua.

My predictions:
First qualifying round (1/2 and 8/9 July)
FC Santa Coloma (AND) v FC Banants (ARM)
SP La Fiorita (SMR) v FC Levadia Tallinn (EST)

Second qualifying round (15/16 and 22/23 July)
FC BATE Borisov (BLR) v KS Skënderbeu (ALB)
Maccabi Tel-Aviv FC (ISR) v FC Santa Coloma (ARM)/FC Banants (ARM)
FC Dinamo Tbilisi (GEO) v FK Aktobe (KAZ)
HŠK Zrinjski (BIH) v NK Maribor (SVN)
FC Sheriff (MDA) v FK Sutjeska (MNE)
AC Sparta Praha (CZE) v SP La Fiorita (SMR)/FC Levadia Tallinn (EST)
Malmö FF (SWE) v FK Ventspils (LVA)
ŠK Slovan Bratislava (SVK) v The New Saints FC (WAL)
Celtic FC (SCO) v KR Reykjavík (ISL)
Cliftonville FC (NIR) v Debreceni VSC (HUN)
FK Partizan (SRB) v Lincoln FC (GIB)/HB Tórshavn (FRO)
Legia Warszawa (POL) v Saint Patrick's Athletic (IRL)
GNK Dinamo Zagreb (CRO) v VMFD Žalgiris (LTU)
Valletta FC (MLT) v Qarabağ FK (AZE)
Strømsgodset IF (NOR) v FC Steaua Bucureşti (ROU)

Partizan is playing instead of Crvena Zvezda (they got ban 1 year, because of financial regulations).
I hope we can play group stage again. We got probably most easiest rival in 2nd round. But our history says we must be careful :D

Wow, it will be interesting to see the first match of the Gibraltar's club. I also hope for their first victory. :D

Let's go HJK! :BSCARF: I hope this euroseason for the Finnish football will be better than the last.

Also a very interesting match, IMHO, Luxembourg's clubs in the last two years worked wonders, so let's see, maybe we'll finally see luxemburg in the group stage (I mean the Europa League of course). ;)

Partizan is playing instead of Crvena Zvezda (they got ban 1 year, because of financial regulations).
I hope we can play group stage again. We got probably most easiest rival in 2nd round. But our history says we must be careful :D
I hope you will react to an opponent very seriously, anyway it's Champions League. :D

I put some money on Lincoln, so I hope they'll win tonight. :)

Fortunately I had draw no bet, so I didn't lose any money. :)

santa coloma goalkeeper scored in the 95th minute to send them through to 2nd quali round on away goals
what a legend:OH::WORSHIP:

Partizan (SRB) 3-0 HB Tórshavn (FRO)

Easy win, could be even more, so many chances, early goal in 14.min make match easier. Torshavn shots - 0.

So what? We have already been beaten by amateurs previous years, so. :P
I didnt say anything wrong in previous post. Just short match review.

I know.
But our defend is poor and weak, for me is surprise they didnt even try.

Same as Shamrock :LOL: Boom from 30m and they pass into group stage :D

Third qualifying round
Champions route
Valletta FC (MLT)/Qarabağ FK (AZE) v FC Salzburg (AUT)
Cliftonville FC (NIR)/Debreceni VSC (HUN) v FC BATE Borisov (BLR)/KS Skënderbeu (ALB)
ŠK Slovan Bratislava (SVK)/The New Saints FC (WAL) v FC Sheriff (MDA)/FK Sutjeska (MNE)
Aalborg BK (DEN) v GNK Dinamo Zagreb (CRO)/VMFD Žalgiris (LTU)
Legia Warszawa (POL)/Saint Patrick's Athletic (IRL) v KR Reykjavík (ISL)/Celtic FC (SCO)

FC Dinamo Tbilisi (GEO)/FK Aktobe (KAZ) v Strømsgodset IF (NOR)/FC Steaua Bucureşti (ROU)
HŠK Zrinjski (BIH)/NK Maribor (SVN) v FC Santa Coloma (AND)/ Maccabi Tel-Aviv FC (ISR)
FK Rabotnicki (MKD)/HJK Helsinki (FIN) v APOEL FC (CYP)
AC Sparta Praha (CZE)/FC Levadia Tallinn (EST) v Malmö FF (SWE)/FK Ventspils (LVA)
PFC Ludogorets Razgrad (BUL)/F91 Dudelange (LUX) v FK Partizan (SRB)/HB Tórshavn (FRO)

League route
AEL Limassol FC (CYP) v FC Zenit (RUS)
FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk (UKR) v FC København (DEN)
Feyenoord (NED) v Beşiktaş JK (TUR)
Grasshopper Club (SUI) v LOSC Lille (FRA)
R. Standard de Liège (BEL) v Panathinaikos FC (GRE)

Some surprises in the qualifying stage tonight: RB Salzburg lost 1-2 against Karabach Agdam (German transcription) and Zenit lost 0-1 against AEL Limassol. Both teams have matches at home at the second leg though, so maybe it's not that hard for them to advance.

Celtic/Legia matters getting more and more interesting...

I'm surprised that no one is speaking about it here.

ye it must be real hard for legia fans to take, they annihilated celtic and get elminiated cos of some bullshit error, despite this i still think celtic should advance though, the player wasn't meant to play and he did, this equals 0-3 defeat, similar shit happened with Togo in the world cup qualifiers, they won 2-0 against cant remember who but one of their players was ineligible to play so the result was a 0-3 loss. it's one of the rare things that FIFA/UEFA are consistent with.

Agree, even though the beat the hell out of Celtic, they used a player that wasn't allowed to play. And the rules are clear here, I can't see any reason, why Legia should be allowed to get back.

I agree. Rules are rules.

On the other hand, think about it, this is almost like handing someone who stole a pencil a lifetime jail sentence!

For a club like Legia to miss out on the CL group stage and all the financial riches it brings because of a clerical error that made no difference to the actual outcome is a HUGE and overly harsh punishment!

After all by the time this ineligible player actually stepped onto the pitch, the tie was all over. What was it? The 88th minute or so of the second leg with Legia Warsaw having clearly outplayed Celtic over both legs and the aggregate scoring showing it.

So in that sense, I understand the open letter they've written Celtic football club even if it is a desperate attempt.

Rules are rules and for that reason I dont mind them being out but laws and rules were also made to make sure no team gets unfair advantage and the better team prevails and in this case, the opposite is basically happening. Legia did not benefit by using that player in anyway meanwhile Celtic must be absolutely ecstatic :D that the Poles brought him on since that IS the ONLY reason they are now going to play in the CL group stages! lol

It's a funny situation and a very unfortunate one for the Polish club. It is their own mistake though and they have no one else to blame for it.

Last edited:
We've been discussing this in the Celtic thread.

I have a very unrealistic point of view on this. IMO Celtic should do the decent thing and forfeit the tournament. They simply don't deserve to be in the tournament.

On the other hand, Legia did make a mistake and UEFA can't let this pass (while i wonder what would have happened if Real Madrid or another big club would have made that mistake).

I agree. Rules are rules.

On the other hand, think about it, this is almost like handing someone who stole a pencil a lifetime jail sentence!

For a club like Legia to miss out on the CL group stage and all the financial riches it brings because of a clerical error that made no difference to the actual outcome is a HUGE and overly harsh punishment!

After all by the time this ineligible player actually stepped onto the pitch, the tie was all over. What was it? The 88th minute or so of the second leg with Legia Warsaw having clearly outplayed Celtic over both legs and the aggregate scoring showing it.

So in that sense, I understand the open letter they've written Celtic football club even if it is a desperate attempt.

Rules are rules and for that reason I dont mind them being out but laws and rules were also made to make sure no team gets unfair advantage and the better team prevails and in this case, the opposite is basically happening. Legia did not benefit by using that player in anyway meanwhile Celtic must be absolutely ecstatic :D that the Poles brought him on since that IS the ONLY reason they are now going to play in the CL group stages! lol

It's a funny situation and a very unfortunate one for the Polish club. It is their own mistake though and they have no one else to blame for it.

I think it's worth stating that Celtic (and Legia if they had taken Celtic's place) still have to play a very good Maribor side before they make it into the actual CL group stage. I don't think either Celtic or Legia are much stronger than Maribor so I think everyone (especially Dariusz the mega-permed co chairman of Legia) is getting ahead of themselves when they talk about missing out on the Champions League group stage. I think there is a high chance Celtic / Legia would end up in the Europa League anyway.

As you say though, rules are rules and if a club doesnt have the ability to fill in a simple form then they can have no complaints if they suffer the consequences. As an example try filling in a visa form incorrectly, if you get the date of birth wrong by a digit or tick woman instead of man there is a major chance you'll be turned away at the border/airport.

I'm glad Celtic didn't buckle to Legia's requests, even more so after that disgusting emotional-blackmail public letter, which in my opinion brings shame on Legia and Polish Football in general. Even if Celtic did want to step aside and let Legia through then they would be in danger of not fullfilling a UEFA fixture and could be banned from next year's CL, when Celtic, as a club, had done nothing wrong. Also if this did happen what would be Legia's real punishment? Sure they might get a big fine, but it would set a dangerous precident. If you could play a banned player and only get a fine what's to stop clubs playing a banned player in say a CL final? Chelsea could have played John Terry in the CL final in 2012 and just taken the fine, Real could have done the same with Xabi Alonso.

Exactly.

We don't deserve to be in the next round, but these things happen and rules are rules and can't be bent as if you bend it so much it'll eventually break.

As for Maribor, completely agree, actually I can't see Celtic getting past them, we've not improved the team one bit and can only see that being a problem, unless some of our so-called good players turn it on.

FD

Back
Top Bottom