UEFA Cup 04/05 Thread

yep, the difference is that the alvalade WC is PAYED, the "whole house" a few miles down the road belongs to the banks... :)

Cruijff said:
The game is very cruel. But losing twice in EXACTLY the same way within two days... how devistating for Dutch football. Especially PSV.

Last-minute goals are a pain in the ass.

No really the same thing...

PSV played nice offensive passing soccer in both games, a beauty to watch, really sick with the result.

As for AZ, damn good tactical side, very well organized but mainly "long balls + heavy shoving" as a play style, not very comparable to PSV in terms of soccer beauty and surely inferior to Sporting CP when dealing with the ball and amusing viewers.

The final goal can be seen as unfair as the first goal by AZ in Lisbon, when they scored in the single offensive movement they had in the whole first half. Soccer is like this, both of these teams had a wonderful european season and deserved to be there, as well as CSKA.

I think CSKA and Sporting are deserved finalists for their offensive "no parked bus" approach, very different from the disgusting 2 CL finalist playing styles, Milan and Liverpool, which one showing the more coward approach on their oponents in these semis.

Mauras said:
yep, the difference is that the alvalade WC is PAYED, the "whole house" a few miles down the road belongs to the banks... :)

No! The problem of Benfica stadium is to have the WC 2Km of distance. :lmao:

Mauras said:
No really the same thing...
You're right about that. I saw that Sporting and AZ where pretty much evenly matched. With "exactly" I meant to say that AZ was, like PSV, screwed in the last minute. After that last goal, I saw Barry van Galen in tears. That image really did something to me. That guy is 35, and will never get a chance like that again. I really felt sorry for him, for they fought hard.

I was sick about the CL, too. Liverpool went through first. I could come into that, sometimes the better team loses, and Chelsea wasn't that much better. I regarded that as unfair, but it can happen.

Then came that night. I was sure that AC Milan would try to make two goals as fast as possible to make PSV immobile. I abviously greatly overestimated Milan. I came to the discovery that it isn't a very good team, while this years PSV is maybe the best team in Europe. That's the conclusion that I've drawn from the two legs.

To see a enourmously superiour team being knocked out by a team that couldn't even compete with this season's Ajax, really made me question the game. It happens too much, although not with such class-difference. What about conting away-goals double? People call the penalty-shootout a lottery, a completely random decision of the game. Is couning away-goals double not even more of a lottery? The winner of the match is decided on WHEN the goals where scored? That doesn't make very much sense...

Yep, Van Gallen would deserve my pity due to his outstanding form at 35 but I really despised his usage of elbows in the game. In fact I'm still to understand how the hell UEFA named a danish ref to this game, due to the proximity of countries and the fact there is a danish in the AZ team, good ground for simpathy.

In fact only sympathy could be behind some of the refs decisions, like the clear penalty on garcia when it was still 1-0, if that penalty was awarded and adding the first goal of Sporting maybe SCP wouldn't have suffered so much.

Co Adrianse deserves all the credit, I'm a bit worried that he is sayed to be coming to Porto as he seems to be capable of doing great things.

About the CL... 100% agree. This CL is having a disgusting end, with phantom goals by teams who park the bus and italian super-example of how to play coward soccer. If you ask me the final should have been... PSV - Lyon, by what I saw this season, with the other possibiliy being Chelsea - Barça. For me the 4 teams who really deserved to be there.

About Milan.. I don't agree with you on Milan not being a great team.. the problem with Milan is the same problem of Juve, Inter, Italian national, etc etc... great players, great potencial... 100% coward soccer mentality of coaches and league mentality.

AZ losing was not sour in the same way as the PSV defeat was. PSV was better and lost. AZ had the victory in their grasp and lost with 30 seconds on the clock.

Lyon deserved standing there for sure. PSV did, if they played all their games like lest week's. Barcelona also deserved, but I always liked that club, so I might be biased on that one. I agree, PSV-Lyon had been THE ideal final to close the season. Imagine the final now... bah.

As for Milan, I think that "A team with great players" + "PlayingBadly" = "Bad Team". But the definition of "Bad Team" may vary for every person.

GL for sporting... I'm really hoping Sporting wins the final!
As for the CL final... I will watch... but i begg to god that it won't be like the final 2 years ago between Milan and Juve. Anyway for the CL i'm hoping fo liverpool to win...

CSKA won the UEFA cup. And football didn't win tonight. True, Sporting did have a lot of luck along it's campaign, but they deserved to win there. Now they're at home with the losers-medal.

I don't see how on earth that guy whose name I forgot could miss that chance, though.

Nice come back though. CSKA were literally invisible in the first half, but in the second half they were very calm and hit Sporting 3 times on the break. Yeah, how did he miss from point blank. And imo Vagner Love is quite overrated, how many times did he help his team? hardly any apart from that goal.

Last edited:
Failing at critical times made them lose. right b4 the 3rd CSKA goal, one of the sporting's men had a clear goal chance, just 1 meter from the goal line with no one in front, he missed :eek: and they scored in counter-attack.

Well congratulations CSKA, first Russian team to win an European title!

foxtrot said:
Nice to see the hoops being humped in Europe again. The pleasure, as before, is all mine. :mryellow:

LOL! I hate the Lisbon hoops!

Sporting has quit UEFA Cup. (Connection Reset by PFC CSKA MOSKVA!) :lol:

Sudden champion, the first russian club that won an internacional competence I believes. Congrats for them.

Well the first club with Russian billionaire money has won a Euro-Cup.
I have a gut feeling that in the next couple of years this will happen quite regularly...
Apart from Chelsea and CSKA Abramovich allegdly has money in La Coruna and Corinthians...FIFA and UEFA: do something about this.

SPiTFiRE[NN] said:
LOL! I hate the Lisbon hoops!

Sporting has quit UEFA Cup. (Connection Reset by PFC CSKA MOSKVA!) :lol:

Sad comment, but typical in a Benfica fan. No matter the past greatness it's this smallness in honour that makes the red nation sad.

Good luck for the next weekend.

Mauras said:
Sad comment, but typical in a Benfica fan. No matter the past greatness it's this smallness in honour that makes the red nation sad.

Good luck for the next weekend.

Sorry, but IT'S SAD TO SEE Sporting supporters prefer FC PORTO Portuguese Champion than Benfica that is a club of the city(This is all of your jealousy of Benfica!). Do you want support in UEFA Cup? Never! Do you remember the times where Benfica was eleminated by the Lazio and Inter? Had Sporting and FC Porto fans supported Benfica in European Copetotions? No, you only and just celebrate the defeat of Benfica!

And after the game did you had seen Sporting Lisbon supporters sayed "Benfica é Merda!"(Benfica is Shit!)?

Last edited:
Can someone stop this twats...the rivalry between Arsenal and Man Utd is bad enough...we don't need endless discussions between fanatics of other teams...
In fact i'm a litle bit frustrated because as fanatic fan of FC Den Hoek i had always hoped that there would be a fan of our great rivals SV Alsemberg. If that would have been true you guys would have seen even more stupid discussions...

Den Hoek - Alsemberg: the greatest derby of them all...true great football clubs.
Den Hoek has also a great rivalry with Ajax, another rivalry between two big clubs, after all between them they won no less than four ECI's ...

The first goal of Sporting was nice, but the keeper could of jumped.

SPiTFiRE[NN] said:
Sorry, but IT'S SAD TO SEE Sporting supporters prefer FC PORTO Portuguese Champion than Benfica that is a club of the city(This is all of your jealousy of Benfica!). Do you want support in UEFA Cup? Never! Do you remember the times where Benfica was eleminated by the Lazio and Inter? Had Sporting and FC Porto fans supported Benfica in European Copetotions? No, you only and just celebrate the defeat of Benfica!

And after the game did you had seen Sporting Lisbon supporters sayed "Benfica é Merda!"(Benfica is Shit!)?

You'r comparing euro competitions to internal competitions! Whenever a portuguese team plays in uefa/CL i support them. But on the superliga, now way.
I don't see any problem on the fact that some sporting fans prefer FCPorto being champions that benfica. Some people simply don't want the next door rival to win!
Maybe they do that cause most benfica fans (i'm not saying you) are always saying they are the best and to prove, they say, they go get championships and CL titles from our grandfathers times!

... anyway changing subject... I wanna know your opinion on giovanni trap! Do you like him? His he the main responsible for the, iminent, title?
I already talked to many benfica fans, but i wanna know your answer first! :)

Thanks. Even that we have many clubs that "fight" with each other, for.ex. CSKA and Spartak is something like Inter Milan - AC Milan, most of all RUSSIAN FEDERATION people was happy for that win because it is our first win in Europian Cups, World Cups.... :)

Revan said:
You'r comparing euro competitions to internal competitions! Whenever a portuguese team plays in uefa/CL i support them. But on the superliga, now way.
I don't see any problem on the fact that some sporting fans prefer FCPorto being champions that benfica. Some people simply don't want the next door rival to win!
Maybe they do that cause most benfica fans (i'm not saying you) are always saying they are the best and to prove, they say, they go get championships and CL titles from our grandfathers times!

... anyway changing subject... I wanna know your opinion on giovanni trap! Do you like him? His he the main responsible for the, iminent, title?
I already talked to many benfica fans, but i wanna know your answer first! :)

Ok you know... but WE(Benfica fans) only know than, when Benfica losses games in european competitions, Sporting and FC Porto supporters cellebrate with...

...champgne! :applause:

SPiTFiRE[NN] said:
Ok you know... but WE(Benfica fans) only know than, when Benfica losses games in european competitions, Sporting and FC Porto supporters cellebrate with...

...champgne! :applause:

:roll: oh well... typical benfica fan. You are doing the same as those supposed FCporto/Sporting suporters, so you'r in the same bag as they are.

cheers!

Milanista we weren't! ;) we changed the subject. And I not continuing it!

Congrats CSKA for the win, and congrats sporting cause u already made a great career this year, cause reaching the final is, by itself, a very good achievement! ;)

Yep, pointless discussion, It's this way all around the world between rival clubs.

The difference is that no matter how happy or indiferent I am with a rival's international result I won't scream foreign goals at my house, nor drive around the city horning like a sad person nor post pointless posts making fun of oposing teams in these moments.

Hey guys Tottenham have qualified for the UEFA Cup next season following the fair rule award, even though Arsenal won it (i think), but they were already in the CL so it got given to spurs.

Back
Top Bottom