UEFA Impose Foreign Player Limits

ClassicD

Galáctico
11 November 2001
Glasgow
Celtic
'Uefa has announced clubs competing in the Champions League and Uefa Cup will have to include four homegrown players in their 25-man squad from 2006.

Europe's governing body also wants to implement the plan in domestic leagues but that will have to be agreed by each national association.

Uefa then wants six homegrown players by 2007 and eight in 2008.

Of the eight, at least four must be trained by the club's own academy and the rest from the home country.

Uefa defines a club-trained player as one who has been registered for a minimum of three seasons with the club between the age of 15 and 21.

Of the 32 sides in last season's Champions League, five clubs would have not had enough homegrown players.

They are: Arsenal, Chelsea, Celtic, Rangers and Ajax.

Uefa's 52 member associations will vote on whether the same rule should apply to domestic competitions at a Congress in Tallinn, Estonia in April.

There has already been strong opposition voiced by the Premier League and the Italian federation.'

Its about time they do this cuz its bad for the national teams.
You'll never see a problem with Man Utd though.
Cuz we don't buy star players, we make them.

When the 1st CL affected by this kicks off:

Giggs will be 32.
Scholes will be 31.
G. Neville will be 31.

You won't get too much more time out of these players IMO. I don't see any 'star' players coming through at Man Utd now, they tend to buy them.

Yeah i agree with that CD. United had that little spell when Becks and co came through, and Giggs a few years before them, but look at United now, Fletcher and Brown arent really superstars in the making are they?

And of any others SAF has tried to 'blood' in recent years, only Kieran Richardson is anywhere near the first team, and he's currently on-loan at West Brom!!!

At last somthing is being done its about time they got their act together to sort out football to many overseas players esp. in the game over here it will benefit all the National teams esp. teams like Scotland.

personaly l would like it to be a lot tougher ok so by 2008 u need to have 8 home based players but that still leaves a loophole by u can still put on a squad mostly of overseas players they should have said that ur first teams squad u put on the park must have lets say 7 home based players.

it the way to go IMO.

Thank feck Fergie always gets a good balance.

Even though a few players are getting on, Scholsey will still be with us at 31 same with Giggs so they will still be in the squad.

Then we've got Smith, Rio, Brown, Rooney, Fletcher.

Remember they only have to be in the squad not in the 1st eleven.

We'll be sweet!

ClassicD said:
When the 1st CL affected by this kicks off:

Giggs will be 32.
Scholes will be 31.
G. Neville will be 31.

You won't get too much more time out of these players IMO. I don't see any 'star' players coming through at Man Utd now, they tend to buy them.
rossi? pique? spector? Richardson? yes i know there not all english, but two of those could pan out to be studs, and wouldnt rooney be considered a homegrown talent as well as ronaldo since they both would have been registered for three years between the ages of 15 and 21....

Milanista said:
Since its 15-21... theres going to be a boost in signing south american kids at 15 and playing them when theyre 18...exceeds the 3 years.
as well as north american, :) freddy adu anyone....

I'm pretty sure they have to be ENGLISH players developed from your own academy, so Rossi, Pique and Spector wouldn't qualify. Not 100% on that right enough. They might well turn out to be great players, I'm not saying they won't, but they're not in the first 11 at all just now to even see how they are progressing.

ClassicD said:
I'm pretty sure they have to be ENGLISH players developed from your own academy, so Rossi, Pique and Spector wouldn't qualify. Not 100% on that right enough. They might well turn out to be great players, I'm not saying they won't, but they're not in the first 11 at all just now to even see how they are progressing.
yes i wasnt sure what the distinciton would be, BUT i dont think anyone can enforce they be a certain nationality as that would violate the terms of the EU right?

I think the rules are this:

Four players must be of the countries nationality (in the Premiership's case, English). They can range from any age and can be bought. Examples (say Man Utd) would be Rooney, Smith, Ferdinand etc.

Four players must also be brought in from the youth team. I don't know how long they have had to be there (I think its three years though). These players can be any nationality. Spector would be fine (as by the time the rules come in to effect he would have been at United for four years). I'm not too sure about Rossi and Pique. They were bought this season, so would only be at United for two seasons. One off the required.

I'm not too sure if I got it right though.

csaunders said:
rossi? pique? spector? Richardson? yes i know there not all english, but two of those could pan out to be studs, and wouldnt rooney be considered a homegrown talent as well as ronaldo since they both would have been registered for three years between the ages of 15 and 21....

by the time it comes in all the players mentioned (including Ronaldo) will count as they joined before they hit 20 and will have been at the club for 3-4 years.

Vann they need to have been there for 3 years between the ages of 15 and 21, so anyone who joined after their 18th birthday wouldn't be eligible. I think csaunders is right about it not being only English players as he tells me this would infringe EU laws of some sort.

I think the law is good because it will at least be a start in levelling out the advantage teams in bigger leagues have, as well as helping national teams. I would go much further but it's a start.

i think this is a good law...honestly, it helps the quality of future European National Teams grow...it is quite disappointing how not much young guns are coming out and helping the teams...it also makes the big clubs work more on their development area, so can't just buy an instant mix anymore...

It's no big deal really, as you said in the first post only 5 teams haven't had enough recently...

Plus they don't have to play, they just have to be in the squad.

RuneEdge said:
Its about time they do this cuz its bad for the national teams.
You'll never see a problem with Man Utd though.
Cuz we don't buy star players, we make them.
LOL :lol: :lmao: :lol:

Like Wes Brown - home grown (definitely NOT star player - like our own Traore!)
Rio Ferdinand - bought star player
Wayne Rooney - bought star player
Van Nistelrooy - bought star player

Need I say more? :mrgreen:

You don't get what I mean. Guys like Ruud, Ronaldo, etc were NOT star players when we bought them. Sir Alex made them what they are today.
An example of a star signing would be Veron cuz we the money for his ability and reputation, not his potential.

RvN was one of the hottest talents in European football before he was signed, he wasn't playing in a big league but he was already a star player for sure when you bought him. Ronaldo was well known as a talent for the future, someone with great dribbling ability, Fergie didn't give him that either.

ClassicD said:
RvN was one of the hottest talents in European football before he was signed, he wasn't playing in a big league but he was already a star player for sure when you bought him. Ronaldo was well known as a talent for the future, someone with great dribbling ability, Fergie didn't give him that either.

But the players became better and accomplished more at United than they did before. Which is the complete opposite of what teams like Real Madrid do.

And this is getting off topic. What my point is that we dont have many foreign players and this UEFA thing doesnt affect us.

Theyre were still stars. Everyone knew Ruud when he was at PSV scoring a shitload, and it was all over the news he wanted to go to United.

Anyway, i hope it works, but i fear teams will work around the rule.

Back
Top Bottom