UK Internet Provider

Virgin are now pulling a swift one on there customers betwenn the hours of 16:30 and 0:00 all speed upload and download are cut in half, to help the network! Not happy!

I would be fuming if that were to happen to my connection

aol have done same to me capped me between 5-10 in the evening. now looking for new isp but cannot get be. has anyone had any probs with bt?? looking for unlimited download without no crappy fair usage policy. any ideas would be helpful

ive got the Virgin media ex telewest 20mb line and to be honest i havent noticed any cut in speed at all. i usualy get between 70 and and the low 90's upload even at peak times. ive even seen it max out the 2.2mb download during they times.

cant fault virgin, not had any problems what so ever.
that could be cause the engineers are still seperate from nthell.
one company two subdivisons,

Seemingly your supposed to have to download over 2gig in that time for the cap to come on, but iv not touched my connection and its still hapening!

Just ordered Be internet... Current contract with Eclipse ends in four days and Be say it'll take 2-4 weeks for them to switch so I could be offline for a while. (I can see the Evo-Web celebration party now)

Quick question though, this is pissing me off. I live pretty close to the exchange, 2300 metres. According to the following graph, that should give me around 14mbps. But my line attenuation is 53db, so again according to that graph, the most I can hope for is 5mbps.

internode-adsl2-distance.jpg

How come I can live so close to the exchange and have such a shite line attenuation? Who can I complain to, to get it fixed?

Last edited:
I could be offline for a while. (I can see the Evo-Web celebration party now)

How come I can live so close to the exchange and have such a shite line attenuation? Who can I complain to, to get it fixed?

*Arranges cake and big party to celebrate*

There is nothing you can do about the connection rate mate, thats the best you can do with a connection like that

Funny enough they've just emailed me, my previous contract runs out on the 18th and my new contract starts on the 22nd, so I'll be offline for a total of four days. Eat your cake quickly! ;)

Still no news of what line rate I'll be getting, but when I last rang to check everything they predicted 5mbps.

The line attenuation could be due to a few things.

Old/dodgy wiring. Like if you say you are in a new house, attenuation should be very low.

Also connect to your main phone socket.

Also some people instead of using a filter, take out their current faceplate, and replace it with a built in one, to reduce attenuation.

Go to the Be Offical and Unofficial forums to check it out.

The line attenuation could be due to a few things.

Old/dodgy wiring. Like if you say you are in a new house, attenuation should be very low.
Quite an old house but the phone equipment (such as the faceplate where the phoneline enters the house) looks reasonably modern.

Also connect to your main phone socket.
Yep, do this already (although via a six-foot extension of cable).

Also some people instead of using a filter, take out their current faceplate, and replace it with a built in one, to reduce attenuation.
Really?? I wouldn't have thought that, surely a microfilter directly in the main faceplate is the same as a new built-in faceplate? If there was any increase are we talking 1db, 3db, 5db?

2pm today, my old internet connection was cut off, 2:30pm the Be connection was up, 30 minutes downtime - not bad! :)

First speed test shows that it's 4000kbps down, 1000kbps up, which isn't bad for me (previous speeds were less than 2000 down and 300 up). Not quite the 5mb I was promised but near enough.

I'll have to try and get the speed up myself - might try and get a shorter connection cable, although I don't think it will be possible to find a new home for the router if I do end up doing that...

As it happens I'm looking at changing my ISP now.

As good as theyve been, madasafish are taking the piss now. I upgraded from theri 1mb line to MAX (I can only get 2mb max apparently). So I should have been getting about 1.5mb - 2mb for the same price.

Since ive done this, all ive had is problems. For a month I was recieving download speeds of 30kbps...what a load of crap.

They have fixed it now, im getting between 140kbps and 170kbps, but the internet keeps disconnecting randomly every so often.

Anyone any ideas wtf is going on? I rang BE there up and he said I can get 2 - 2.5 mb line now, but am I likely to have the same problems as i'm getting with madasafish?

Cheers any help appreciated.

2pm today, my old internet connection was cut off, 2:30pm the Be connection was up, 30 minutes downtime - not bad! :)

First speed test shows that it's 4000kbps down, 1000kbps up, which isn't bad for me (previous speeds were less than 2000 down and 300 up). Not quite the 5mb I was promised but near enough.

I'll have to try and get the speed up myself - might try and get a shorter connection cable, although I don't think it will be possible to find a new home for the router if I do end up doing that...
Check out the Be Unofficial Forums on how to get speeds up, google it, first result I think.

Just upgraded my Virgin 2mb (£10 per month) to 4mb for the price of the original 2mb (£18 per month)

Last edited:
Bulldog internet are they any good noted? ive gone for tiscali's fastest speed and its awfully slow at the best of times....

It depends with Bulldog. They're always been great for me but they are also sometimes the most hated ISP due to there apparent shit service. I've never had a problem though except I've been without internet a few times in the last few years but nothing major.

We're with UKFSN, an Entanet provider. Can't remember how much we pay, I think it's about £30 a month. We get 30gb a month peak and 300gb a month off-peak, which is reasonable enough. Monthly contract is good too. Been with them for a good few months, except these last two months or so, our connection has dropped from 8Mb to 4.5Mb for some unknown reason. When we asked the ISP why its dropped, they reckon we've never had more than 4Mb. Previos ISP's gave us 8Mb too, so not sure why we can only get 4 now. Might look into a different ISP.

Getting bethere 8mb unlimited for 15 a month. Good deal out of what ive seen.

Any usage caps?

Just checked and it's a pretty nice offer! No caps but unfortunately not available where I live :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom