University Guide

hey milanista nah surrey is not near the beach may be ur mixing it up with portsmouth!

@rgee 1979 wot year did u finish?

i did bsc in economics and did my masters in ibm at som!
finished this year!

Milanista said:
I heard East London unis -such as queen marrys- arent great, mainly due to the area its in.
The area aint that good, but Queen Mary as kabir says, is pretty good. There is a lot of funding and they redone the whole uni last year, and looks a lot more posh.

To whoever asked, I believe it was Rocky, I applied to Trinity; interview was ok, though its suspiciously easy nature has left me worried that they didn't feel I was worth pushing.

Also got an offer through from Durham, my second choice, of AAA.

Many of them, with the exception of Oxbridge, are considered to be the best in the world, and are pretty tough to get in. I want to do my masters in the US.

MarkD said:
To whoever asked, I believe it was Rocky, I applied to Trinity; interview was ok, though its suspiciously easy nature has left me worried that they didn't feel I was worth pushing.

Also got an offer through from Durham, my second choice, of AAA.

Trinity is a nice college. Hope it goes well....lemme know how it goes ;) - some interviewers have some strange tactics to test the candidates I s'pose - best of luck anyway ;).

I'm in Pembroke myself doin Engineering....but I doubt I'll see you anyway (hopefully if it goes well that is :D ) as its my last year.

Milanista said:
Many of them, with the exception of Oxbridge, are considered to be the best in the world, and are pretty tough to get in. I want to do my masters in the US.
spot on.... if i were you i would do yhour undergrad here, california... you would love the women and the sun and you will get a fantastic education

I didn't go to Uni in London and i'm glad i didn't. I went somewhere a lot smaller and made some great friends. It's all about the company you keep. Oh yeah, and the ratio of women to men was 8 to 1 8)

does anyone know if studying media in uni is worth it. im looking to go into media but i reckon studying english might be more worthwhile.

Professor Nutmeg said:
I didn't go to Uni in London and i'm glad i didn't. I went somewhere a lot smaller and made some great friends. It's all about the company you keep. Oh yeah, and the ratio of women to men was 8 to 1 8)

Damn! I thought our ratio was good! 4:1! But we've got loads of Spanish exchange students! hehe What uni did you go to?

If you want a place in Surrey close to London, Roehampton is quite nice uni with very nice surroundings. I've also made some great friends due to the small size of each campus. The University is getting an increasingly better ratings for business and a few lecturers have moved their from Kingston Uni. Also to get into central it just a 5 minute walk to Barnes station, then a train to waterloo...and to think I just went there for the booze and chicks hehe =D

Also this guide is quite comprehensive http://education.guardian.co.uk/uni...html?start=0&index=3&tariff=0&index=3&alpha=0

btw ignore the fact Roehampton is 104!!! hehe And to think I believed my lecturers when they said this place was good for business! Although there is a big mix a party go-ers and studious folk, so that maybe why we're 104 but if you were considering LSE I'm sure you wont consider Roehampton, unless you mess up your exams! hehe

If you have any questions about LSE feel free to ask, as my mate is currently in his second year there

Media is really good lession,but if you like art and graphics,do multi-media or it may be called e-media,its art,graphics,ict,media all in one,,im doing that at the art uni

tbh...it really doesnt actually matter what areas your uni is in. its either good or its crap. end of story

besides, ive personally realised that going to a top 10 university doesnt mean shit since a 2:1 pass or above from ANYWHERE is all thats needed for a decent high paying job

the thing with London is the expense, and thats about it. You don't have to live in the centre of London, no matter what people say, the transport system works. London's financial turnover is more than NewYork and Tokoyo combined, and you can't acheive that without effecient infrastructure.

What you should do is look for accomodation in the suburbs, Zone 4-5 etc. I'll be staying in and around London, but I suppose I'm lucky to already have accomodation if it is needed.

Expense wise, you've just really gotta be wise on to budgeting, and not going all out of rounds of drinks etc.

London really is a fab place for young people, theres so much variety and lots going on. The only problem, can you balance, study, leisure and finances.?

ooh_harry said:
besides, ive personally realised that going to a top 10 university doesnt mean shit since a 2:1 pass or above from ANYWHERE is all thats needed for a decent high paying job

Thats kinda true to an extent - however I think there are many who will beg to differ. Some uni's give around 2-3 essay assignments a week whereas other universities (same subject) may give 2-3 a month. When it comes down to finals, the papers are vastly different - especially as each university has their own curriculum unlike how it was at school/college.

Having said that, after a few years of work, whether you get a 3rd or a 1st at whatever university is gonna be irrelevant as its the experience thats gonna count. You'll also be surprised how many people in the top jobs didn't actually go to uni.

Bumpy Bumpy :)

Anyway, how is it going Milanista, what do you do in your A Levels?

And rockykabir & co. I hear from everyone that Warwick is one (or the) best Economics/Business uni in UK(maybe the world....). Is that true? Ahead of LSE?

And I am in Year 11 and I was hoping you guys can help me in my A Level subjects. I want to do:
Maths Pure + Stats
Chemistry
History
Economics
Critical Thinking AS

But instead of Eco/History I might do Biology to leave my options open for medicine. I am quite crap at Bio, propably get A at GCSE. Do you think I should take it, my teachers say its fine but I think I might struggle. And to do any finance related courses at uni, you don't need anything specific, right? Just AAA or AAB usually.

And one more question, whats 2.1?

Oh yeah one more, rockykabir what uni do you go,

Is Psychology hard? Is it Biology based or more open?
Well I love History at GCSE and will be getting A* hopefully easily, so A Level should be fun.

Its not hard, only hard part of it is knowing it all for the exams. Some of the approaches are science like, such as the physiological approach and clinical psychology. Its really interesting, especially criminal psychology.

ashmufc said:
And rockykabir & co. I hear from everyone that Warwick is one (or the) best Economics/Business uni in UK(maybe the world....). Is that true? Ahead of LSE?

Warwick is very good for Economics and Business and one of the top rated places. LSE is still top - however I've read that many companies like Warwick as their courses are quite forward thinking.

But instead of Eco/History I might do Biology to leave my options open for medicine. I am quite crap at Bio, propably get A at GCSE. Do you think I should take it, my teachers say its fine but I think I might struggle. And to do any finance related courses at uni, you don't need anything specific, right? Just AAA or AAB usually.

I don't *think* Biology is a necessity for medicine (Chemistry definitely is) but check with your teachers about this. It is no secret that medicine is very competitive so I would advise on doing a subject which you feel you will get a top mark in. For any subject that you do, you will have to work hard in Uni - Medicine is a prime example. You have to be quite committed but the rewards are plentiful.

But really, it is up to you to decide - Teachers can give their opinion (which is truthful in many occasions) but I found that a lot of people actually do a lot better than expected in uni compared to how they were at College/School.

And one more question, whats 2.1?

It is the university grade given for your degree:
1st = +70%
2.1 ("Two-One") = 60%-70%
2.2 ("Two-Two") = 50%-60%
3rd = 40%-50%
Pass = 30%-40%

Oh yeah one more, rockykabir what uni do you go

I'm currently in my final (fourth) year doing Engineering + Comp Sci at Oxford.

Hope that helps mate and good luck! ;)

Back
Top Bottom