University Guide

Milanista

Mangiamoli!
19 December 2002
London & Milan
AC Milan
I tried to revive the old thread started by Brian Candel, but it was in the offtopic forum.

Anyway, I, like many others here, are on the verge of applying to Universities. I need some help since most people here are based in the UK.

Im interested in studying in London, closer to the center if possible, and already have a list of Uni's i wanna apply to because i have the sufficient grades. I want to study Business Studies, and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

Currently I am applying to:

Imperial College
Kings College
City University
Queen Mary University (Does anyone know if this is good? The prospectus says its 14th out of 100 in the UK).

As some of you might know, UCAS requires you to have 6 choices, so Im open to any suggestions or feedback.

Some of the "rural" (hehe, I mean NOT London) uni's are a better life experience you know and unless you're minted, London is very expensive.

I'll just copy-n-paste an email I did for a mate's brother a while back...

LSE is probably the top choice for business in London. The name is widely recognized and for a good reason: The standards are expectedly high and they do make you work so beware! - the same goes for Imperial College. However IC is science based so I don't think that they'll do business strictly unless its joined with a science based subject. A lot of my mates went here and they said the facilities were excellent.

UCL/Kings is also quite good. I categorize them as one as they are pretty similar according to friends who go to both. I remember the people being quite friendly and is a bit more laid back than LSE and Imperial (allegedly)

QMW has been doing quite well recently and has been adding to its reputation. To their own admission, some of the subjects are known to be quite chilled out but it still is quite a good choice. The uni is based in East London so is likely to be one of the cheapest out of the London universities in terms of living expenses.

There are other universities based in and around London and they excel (or don't) in various subjects.

Outside of London - particularly for Business - my recommendations go out for Manchester (which is the largest uni in the UK) and Warwick (which has a highly recognized business department). Manchester is pretty much the closest thing to London outside of London and a lot cheaper. Warwick is interesting as its structure is strongly based on the self-contained American campus.

Again, there are various other uni's around the UK that are well worth a look. Yes, they can be considerably cheaper than in London but some aren't so (trust me, I know!). Your bro should know a bit more about them.

An important and overlooked thing when looking for the right uni is the subject itself. Even though they are all the same subject, universities are likely to have their own modules that may (and may not) interest you. Saying that you're gonna do the subject for 3/4 years, you want to enjoy it.

TBH, the social scene in all universities cater for most. I can imagine there being a lot more choice in London but it comes at a cost (just take a look at the travel expenses for one(!)). But as there is a lot of choice, you can look around for cheaper alternatives to stay, eat and chill - something you won't get in smaller towns/cities.

Milanista said:
I tried to revive the old thread started by Brian Candel, but it was in the offtopic forum.

Anyway, I, like many others here, are on the verge of applying to Universities. I need some help since most people here are based in the UK.

Im interested in studying in London, closer to the center if possible, and already have a list of Uni's i wanna apply to because i have the sufficient grades. I want to study Business Studies, and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

Currently I am applying to:

Imperial College
Kings College
City University
Queen Mary University (Does anyone know if this is good? The prospectus says its 14th out of 100 in the UK).

As some of you might know, UCAS requires you to have 6 choices, so Im open to any suggestions or feedback.

Have a look at Birkbeck. Its part of Uni. of London. A few of my friends did finance/business realted masters degrees there. Right in the heart of London (Russell Square). Worth a look.

i would generally stay way clear from LSE.

As an economics student who got ABB (economics, maths, history) at A2, I applied to Bristol(AAB-ABB), Manchester(ABB), Birmingham(BBB), SOAS(ABB-BBB), LSE(BBB) and Warwick(AAB-ABB) last year....despite wanting only a BBB for economics and geog. they rejected me and favoured foreign students instead even tho some of them got BBB-BBC. It quite sad but there is actually more chance of getting into oxbridge than LSE lol

Isn't it obvious that with Uni's getting more licence to charge what they like, they'll all start going the easy option of having mostly foreign students? Not good for the natives, so to speak.....

If you decide to come and live in C. London you need to find some accomadation, and in the City it costs tons! Me dads got a few flats/houses in the city which he rents to students, and they pay a lot, so be aware of that.

Queen Mary is based near my dad's fast food shop, like 5 minutes work,a nd 15 minutes train ride form my house. The area is heavily populated, and propably the in poorest past of the City i.e. Tower Hamlets But the uni is still very good.

Imperial is a great choice as well, you should come over to London on holiday and check the uni's out, thats the best way, so you know if you will like the atmosphere.

yeah I know about the pricing, but my plan is to stay in the uni provided accomodation for 1-2 years, then move out with a few friends and share a flat.

Im still planning my 2nd visit to London.

You shouldnt have much of a problem getting a place in Uni halls, although its still very expensive. I was planning on going to study in central London to do a post grad course. A single room (small and nothing atall fancy) in Russell Square in Uni halls was 117 quid a week. This includes food, but this is actually somewhat of an inconvinience as you have to eat when and what they provide. On top of that the kitchen areas are literally the size of a large wardrobe; (its a squeeze to get 2 people in) and the facilities are very limited. This lack of kitchen facilities seems to be typical of London halls. From my experience of Uni halls in London they're really not that good atall...practical, but not atall "homely". Ive been looking at 1 room places in central London, and you can actually find some places for comparable prices....an option which you may want to consider.

In my opinion and from my experience, Uni life in London is overratted. It's expensive, got more than its fair share of knob heads, and although I do like the place, after a couple of months the "magic" wears thin. I went to Uni in Surrey and personally I found this perfect. For starters your on campus, (something which Unis in central London arent), meaning you get the real feeling of Uni life, rather than just going to Uni in a large city. Campus life is fantastic....get to know many many people, very few knob heads, and the feeling of being at a holiday camp almost. Anytime you want to meet with friends theyre literally 2 mins away etc. Although I was dead-set on doing my undergrad study in central London, it didnt come off, and from looking back and my latter experience of Uni life in London, Im VERY happy it didnt. Perhaps Uni life in London is something which would be great for you, but Id suggest you give some thought to going to a campus Uni somewhere just outside of London. That way you get the best of both worlds...save money, plenty of people, and a short train journey to London whenever you choose to go. Whatever you decide, good luck with it.

there is a university guide in one of todays papers - the sunday times, i think...

Noted said:
Surrey what. Theres millions of unis in Surrey. Surrey is a county

Thers only one University of Surrey.

Im still waiting for all my offers to come, Kings is my priority still for AAB business management.

And Mark, dont you have to do the entrance exams for law courses?

Milanista said:
Thers only one University of Surrey.

Im still waiting for all my offers to come, Kings is my priority still for AAB business management.

And Mark, dont you have to do the entrance exams for law courses?

hey is that uni of surrey in guildford i was there for 4 years

its an alrite uni!!!

Uni of Surrey is a good place. Was there for 4 years. Not a bad option if you dont get your first choice.

What ever you do don't go to a south london Uni's....most of them are just some fake Uni's to make the local people from that area feel like they've got a chance or something....the goverment is pretty twisted lol.

pk9 should know about it.

Back
Top Bottom