VOTE to bring back "Shifting to attack" option and holding the defensive line

Bring back the "Shifting to attack" option and holding the defensive line

• Yes! Please put this back in! I want proper football! Let me have that option!

Votes: 101 92.7%
  • I like arcade football, but more options are better

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • I don't care either way

Votes: 5 4.6%

• Total voters

Lami

Niche Football
28 May 2007
Sydney
Man Utd, Juve
Hello everyone. I'm creating a poll about this on here and on Twitter after the many complaints so I can send it to the right people at Konami to hopefully be heard and help us make a difference. We are a very passionate PES community that has been around since 2001! Yes, we've been there from the start. Call us the OG PES community or whatever you want, but we've been here through thick and thin, and we're still here.

We always want the best for our beloved PES. But here's the thing, we need to band together and make some noise. Individual tweets and the like won't make much of a difference. We need to show and prove we're a community wanting the same thing, not some random individual request. Same reason people create petitions on change.org to try make a difference and have their voice heard. This is why I'm creating this poll here.

You want to be heard? Be serious about this and VOTE.

Now that's out of the way, I've created this poll in response to the many complaints about end to end arcade football that's been in PES for a while now. There's nothing wrong about end to end football as it happens IRL, but it happens in context and due to certain tactics, and it doesn't happen constantly like it does in PES.

In PES 2014, an option called "Shifting to attack" was introduced, and was a very good addition. It helped greatly halt/reduce the constant end to end games. It was a great option to have for those of us who were after a sim approach. See this video here made by @Matt10. It shows what a difference one option can do.

This video is 4 years old, but is still very relevant today. That option you see in the video was taken out since. Watching this and watching the new PES 2018 videos, we can see the stark contrast in transitions from defense to attack in both games, because one had the "shifting to attack" option, and the other doesn't.

Another one that we want to see fixed is the defensive line. That line has been broken for so many years now. I think it started when player tracking was introduced and wasn't properly implemented since. Defenders would track back their mark on the expense of holding a defensive line intact. Something should be done about the tracking mechanic that would let the AI know when to stop tracking a player once they see or "reach" their defensive line to hold it. Possibly add a team defensive line stat that would be properly or improperly held based on defensive teamwork. All teams try holding a good defensive line but not all of them succeed at it always, which sometimes lead to opposition break throughs as we see IRL that may lead to goals.

We ask, as a community, to have these in for the sim-head fans that many of us are. So make sure you VOTE here and on Twitter (click the LIKE button) if you want to be heard and hopefully make this happen. Send to and share it with as many people as you can. If they can't vote here, they can do so on Twitter. I will leave a link to my twitter post below.

P.S. This will not affect the arcade approach that some like. It is just an option that we can use to adjust the game the way we want it. It isn't enforced and won't hamper your arcade experience. One extra option that we had before definitely is good thing as seen above. The more options the better. So please vote for us as well for an additional option ;)

Twitter link https://twitter.com/Lami_Z/status/875554644621230080

Looks like I can't have the poll option there because I used twitlong. So please use the LIKE button!

And please, don't tell me it's too late now and yada yada yada. I did the hard part writing this up (and obviously @Matt10 the most with his awesome video) and all you have to do is click a button. Let Konami decide.

Last edited:
Thanks for this, Lami. I completely agree with everything you've said, and you have said it in such a manner, it would make no sense not to vote for the inclusion of this tactical feature. I can make a more updated video to compliment as well, if needed. Just say the word!

Thanks for this, Lami. I completely agree with everything you've said, and you have said it in such a manner, it would make no sense not to vote for the inclusion of this tactical feature. I can make a more updated video to compliment as well, if needed. Just say the word!
Thanks man.

If it's not a hassle, and if it proves your point further, please do!

Also if I've missed anything, please add more stuff about the defensive line and tracking if you can.

Thanks man.

If it's not a hassle, and if it proves your point further, please do!

Also if I've missed anything, please add more stuff about the defensive line and tracking if you can.

Yes, I'll get a video out. I have one that details the positioning that I tweeted about, and is currently being edited, and will be uploaded shortly. The shift to attack would solve so much because it was my hope for the Att/Def levels to have a transition value (green) so positioning could regain it's composure for a split second.

great effort !
hope it work and we can give useful suggestions step by step and year by year.
I have many suggestion that can be made by dev team so easily, but have a sensible influence.
but I keep them and concentrate on this first step this time.

One question about this: does we need to select "shifting to attack" at every match for not having end-to-end games or the contrary?
Because if we need to select this for every teams by default (including CPU) for not having "arcade" (don't think the word is well chosen) game, it will be real pain in the ass.

The positionning should be strict and balanced att/mid/def by default.

It would be a welcome addition if done right. The problem is the laser passing of the ai team. I think it was that game or maybe it's a few where the lower teams would pass the ball in there own half like barca and were a bitch to get the ball back off which lead to very boring unrealistic games. Its not that there aren't teams that play like that in real life but they really need to balance it. For it to be done properly you would need to be able to properly pressurise the ai team into making mistakes Anything for a more real experience

One question about this: does we need to select "shifting to attack" at every match for not having end-to-end games or the contrary?
Because if we need to select this for every teams by default (including CPU) for not having "arcade" (don't think the word is well chosen) game, it will be real pain in the ass.

The positionning should be strict and balanced att/mid/def by default.
It'll be just like it is in PES 2014, an option in the tactics menu or something. Yea we'll have to go into edit mode and do it for every team you want it done to. Well just like we're currently doing anyway editing all the teams to get the best out of the game.

If it's up to me, I'd rather they gave us sliders to global-edit everything. But it doesn't look like they're doing that. But I'll add it as an "easier" suggestion when submitting this.

I hope we get a lot of votes so I can send this poll with great confidence.

Keep it up guys! VOTE.

It would be a welcome addition if done right. The problem is the laser passing of the ai team. I think it was that game or maybe it's a few where the lower teams would pass the ball in there own half like barca and were a bitch to get the ball back off which lead to very boring unrealistic games. Its not that there aren't teams that play like that in real life but they really need to balance it. For it to be done properly you would need to be able to properly pressurise the ai team into making mistakes Anything for a more real experience

It was in Pes 2015.

Great work, mates. I voted YES, of course. I play PES over FIFA because of gameplay. And thus, I want the most realistic gameplay we can get. And I think this is easy to implement. So, again, thank you for your work and let's try to do get this.

If you really want this to be out there and payed attention to, you all must start tweeting @officialpes and @adam_bhatti (both) about this. Maybe link them here but in the body of the Tweet you should definetely say something as well to summarize what the link is about. You need to start a Twitter campaign. That's what they care about.
Even create a HashTag maybe. If they see 50 people using that Hashtag, definetely they will pay attention to because it might hurt their sales.

Edit: I saw the Tweet above now. I strongly believe we should get a Hashtag to use in every tweet related to this (even when tweeting THEM about it).

Last edited:
Okay indeed hacked this in the online tool. Found examples for almost all cases which still apply in PES 2017 too so i could tested it safely (well one extreme example i wasnt able to find but its pretty obvious what would be that like)and im very confident that this could be easily solved. Prepared an excel file and now im about to present it to the others. Fingers crossed.

Btw MANY MANY teams are set up tactically to end to end. Im pretty sure most of the editors are unaware of the effect of the values.

This pic i can share as it doesnt give any feature of the tool away...

vcIJV7S.jpg

Last edited:
Okay indeed hacked this in the online tool. Found examples for almost all cases which still apply in PES 2017 too so i could tested it safely (well one extreme example i wasnt able to find but its pretty obvious what would be that like)and im very confident that this could be easily solved. Prepared an excel file and now im about to present it to the others. Fingers crossed.

Btw MANY MANY teams are set up tactically to end to end. Im pretty sure most of the editors are unaware of the effect of the values.

vcIJV7S.jpg

If we could have a global editor that could change the values of attack level/defense level of every team, that would be great!

If you really want this to be out there and payed attention to, you all must start tweeting @officialpes and @adam_bhatti (both) about this. Maybe link them here but in the body of the Tweet you should definetely say something as well to summarize what the link is about. You need to start a Twitter campaign. That's what they care about.
Even create a HashTag maybe. If they see 50 people using that Hashtag, definetely they will pay attention to because it might hurt their sales.

Edit: I saw the Tweet above now. I strongly believe we should get a Hashtag to use in every tweet related to this (even when tweeting THEM about it).
Good idea. What do you have in mind? I don't want to use #FIXPES as I don't want it to sound like the whole thing is broken even though it looks like the most obvious one and easiest to use. Any good ideas? #MakePESBetter? #SimPES?

vcIJV7S.jpg
Thanks gabe. I wish they just gave us these tools in game and get it done with. The casuals won't bother with it anyway and it's only the sim-headed guys who'll be ecstatic about it.

Good idea. What do you have in mind? I don't want to use #FIXPES as I don't want it to sound like the whole thing is broken even though it looks like the most obvious one and easiest to use. Any good ideas? #MakePESBetter? #SimPES?

I actually tweeted them this link and used #PES2018SIM but #TacticsMatterToo or something like that. Needs to be catchy I think. Also, it's important to prevent them to use time as an excuse. There's plenty of time for developers to fix such an easy issue. They shouldn't leave it for next year. There are 4 months. Are devs on vacations already?

vcIJV7S.jpg

Great, that is really to fix.. the ugiest things are RED and PURPLE (purple less) but also others setup (that we can fix in hex)...

check here and here

of course , voted

Last edited:
I forwarded this issue to Bhatti and this happened. That dude can't handle proper constructive criticism so I doubt this issue is going to be fixed. I guess he enjoys end-to-end basketball matches in football.

658aed8ac2a551688f569ce56cc24d9f.jpg
Why? What did you say?

Back
Top Bottom