War of the Worlds.....(may contain spoilers?)

rockykabir

hello
30 March 2003
London -> New York -> San Francisco
Liverpool FC
Watched this earlier today. Must say that this is definitely a film to watch on cinema as the SFX were the best I've seen in a long time - very impressive.

Spoiler......

The ending was very rushed and undoubtedly got a lot of us thinking WTF?! I might read the book or perhaps watch the original cos that was perhaps the biggest letdown of the film

Last edited:
Saw this Today ....

It's a decent enough film, cannot be arsed going into detail as its late ..... 7/10 for me.

Last edited:
The first hour or so was fantastic - proper cacking my pants atmosphere and for once, the SFX didn't look too artificial.

The last 45 mins was...interesting and, lets be honest, made very little sense. A huge letdown to what could have been an excellent film.

The first bit was worth the ticket alone though but overall it hasn't displaced Sin City as my film of the summer so far..

Last edited:
Really enjotyed it. Special effects were excellent, very well made. Although i didnt like the ending. They should have made it as intense as the rest of the movie. The first 1hr of the movie was very intense with so much going on.

Tom Cruise imo was excellent, and people boycotting the movie just because of him are idiots.

Tom Cruise is in this? Fuck, i'm boycotting. He's a stream of piss, I tell you.

Very good film but from Spielberg was expecting just that bit more. Batman Begins for me is still the best movie so far this year.

saw it on saturday day after it came out
well good those aliens look like the ones out of independce day
well good though

MAJOR SPOILER!.....

According to the 1953 original, the aliens died due to the bacteria in the air (not certain if this is due to result of the killing and destruction etc..). Humans have become accustomed to it over time but the aliens were unable to hack it. It still makes no sense as to why these so called intelligent beings didn't check the atmosphere before they came. I think I might read the book...

Very good film indeed! One bad part the ending, very poor, the aliens/monsters jsut die.

I don't see what was wrong with the ending, you can't argue with it since its based on one of the most famous stories in history. They die just cause of the bacteria, they can't fight it (the "common cold"). Obviously, why didn't they know about it before they invaded etc, but that's just the way it is.

Anyway, just got back from seeing it. I thought it was an excellent film, the SFX were on another level completely for me, setting a new 'standard' if you will. From now it will be, "Well yeah, those special effects were good in The Matrix 67, but not as good as War of the Worlds."

There was something about the film I feel, that made it seem all so believable and real. On the way home in the car, I could imagine to myself perfectly, one of those 'tripods' clambering over the horizon ahead of us. Crazy stuff.

Tom Cruise played an awesome part, as did Dakota Fanning (Rachel) who is only 11, would you believe it.

Seeing all the comments about the ending being a let down before I went to see the film, I was expecting Tom Cruise to die or something. But I found nothing wrong with the ending, did you guys think the summing up of things rushed or something? I can't see any other way of them ending the film, especially on something such as an alien invasion.

Anyway, I rate the film 9/10

Rachel was very good in the film, her scared look is very good!

I ahvent read the book, so I wasnt sure wy they died.

Flawl3ssCowb0y said:
There was something about the film I feel, that made it seem all so believable and real. On the way home in the car, I could imagine to myself perfectly, one of those 'tripods' clambering over the horizon ahead of us. Crazy stuff.

Not crazy thought the exact same thing.

It could happen you never know!

I guess thats cause its a 12A for some stupid reason. When I was there, there were parents with their kids that couldn't been much older than 9 or 10. Its ridiculous, I was pooing myself on some parts and little kids were watching it?

It should've been at LEAST a 12 IMO, and really a 15.

Good Movie, and nice graphics, but the end seems a lil bit stupid :), but nice overall 7/10 is fair !!

Great Film miles from a classic book sfx were amazing! Does anyone remenber the story of when it was first told as a story on the radio people actully thought earth was being invaded! As for Dakota Fanning boy can this girl act ive seen here in three films now this Hide and Seek and Man Of Fire She was excellent in all of them!

Just saw the film last night, great special effects and the whole thing was very convincing. Pretty terrifying stuff. Thought Tim Robbins was a bit under-used, considering his acting abilities.
Ending (sorry spoiler here) do not read if you've not seen it!!!!

okay

How the f*(& did the brother survive? He waltzed up onto a hill WHICH EXPLODED seconds later. And after using his immunity to fire he then also got to boston before them. And despite being in a house with his family for at least some period of time, he hadn't cleaned the dirt off his face. I guess he likes the rugged look.

Oh and in the beginning, after seeing even Tom Cruise's watch stop, some guy is fortunate enough to use a video camera to record the first tripod. Kind of weird.

But hey, I'm a bit overly critical, it was a great popcorn flic :)

I honestly found the girl to be quite annoying but as much slack as he gets Tom Cruise did a fine job.
The ending where his son comes out was just plain stupid. Would have had alot more impact if he had died.

Flawl3ssCowb0y, what parts did you find scary?

Mmm... The son staying alive is very stupid IMO.

Flawl3ssCowb0y said:
I don't see what was wrong with the ending, you can't argue with it since its based on one of the most famous stories in history. They die just cause of the bacteria, they can't fight it (the "common cold"). Obviously, why didn't they know about it before they invaded etc, but that's just the way it is.

Anyway, just got back from seeing it. I thought it was an excellent film, the SFX were on another level completely for me, setting a new 'standard' if you will. From now it will be, "Well yeah, those special effects were good in The Matrix 67, but not as good as War of the Worlds."

Tom Cruise played an awesome part, as did Dakota Fanning (Rachel) who is only 11, would you believe it.

Seeing all the comments about the ending being a let down before I went to see the film, I was expecting Tom Cruise to die or something. But I found nothing wrong with the ending, did you guys think the summing up of things rushed or something? I can't see any other way of them ending the film, especially on something such as an alien invasion.

Anyway, I rate the film 9/10

this is so damn right.

i've been listening to the "musical" version of this since i was about 7 and watching this film was the most intense entertainment experience of my life - i felt relieved at the end so i could breathe properley again.

the ending as you say is as per the story anyways so what's the problem? the only thing NOT incorporated from the original was the way there was a suggestion of a second coming but then i like that wasn't included as it would have been deemed corny.

it is an awesome film, perhaps only on the 9/10 level for peeps who grew up with the story.

the fx are the best ever - there's not one scene that looks false and the direction of the cameras follows the characters more than the surroundings making you feel the emotions.

it's friggen amazing and the second it's out on dvd i will be there.

Back
Top Bottom