WC06 Qualifiers' and Internationals' Thread (June 5th Results)

F

footieBalla

well, 2006 is not upon us yet, but the thought of another large football competition has me lickin my chops. this is the 23 man squad sven goren eriksson has decided to bring along to the two back-to-back qualifiers against Austria and Poland:
Goalkeepers:
David James Manchester City
Paul Robinson Tottenham Hotspur
Robert Green Norwich City

Defenders:
Gary Neville Manchester United
Ashley Cole Arsenal
Wayne Bridge Chelsea
John Terry Chelsea
Ledley King Tottenham Hotspur
Jamie Carragher Liverpool
Matthew Upson Birmingham City

Midfielders:
David Beckham Real Madrid
Frank Lampard Chelsea
Steven Gerrard Liverpool
Kieron Dyer Newcastle United
Owen Hargreaves Bayern Munchen
Nicky Butt Newcastle United
Shaun Wright-Phillips Manchester City
Joe Cole Chelsea
Jermaine Jenas Newcastle United

Forwards:
Michael Owen Real Madrid
Jermain Defoe Tottenham Hotspur
Darius Vassell Aston Villa
Alan Smith Manchester United

*this is robert green's first call up init?
jermaine jenas is here to replace scholes? not on the first 11, but just because of the space?
no heskey because of 1)an injury against ukraine and now after impressive starts to the prem season by 2)smith and defoe.

Last edited by a moderator:
well how is he useless you think? personally, i think it is because of his age. he could probably still provide for birmingham city, but the young guns have pushed him out of favour for the swede in charge.

-fb

because he is a screw-up, I never seen a good action of him.

I think the Heskelizer has had some bad press tbh, yeah he can be clumsy and untidy, but under Martin O'Neill he was quality.
He just needs a manager that can get the best out of him and i think he'll come back stronger now that he's working with Steve Bruce.

well, i dont have anything against heskey, i wish him well at birmingham but i think the one thing he is missed for will be his size. he is a big lad and the rest of england's strikers have not nearly the physical stature this man does.

anyway, moving on, sol campbell. anyone have the dirt on why he's not included in the 23 man team? injury? im looking at you, arsenal supporters.

-fb

Yeah SOl's injured, he hasnt played yet for the gooners.

Heskey's only 26. :eh:

loz said:
I think the Heskelizer has had some bad press tbh, yeah he can be clumsy and untidy, but under Martin O'Neill he was quality.

Heskey at Leicester City
Appearances 200
Started 189
Goals 46

Not particularly quality. Granted, his work off the ball is good but at the end of the day he's a striker who should be scoring goals. I'd take someone like Defoe over him any day.

i think evertyone is way to harsh on poor emile hes obviously a quality player otherwise he wouldnt be in the premiership and i think this season he will shine he has no pressure unlike being a Liverpool where every team has to live up to past glories or face the scouse wrath hes a good player and a brilliant holder-up of the ball which is what England needed against Portugal instead of little Darius

people just like to be little sheep and follow the crowd just to say "emiles shite" hes done a great service to his country and i think its unfair he should be dropped while Vassel keeps his place

hutch said:
Heskey's only 26. :eh:

loz said:

Heskey at Leicester City
Appearances 200
Started 189
Goals 46

Not particularly quality. Granted, his work off the ball is good but at the end of the day he's a striker who should be scoring goals. I'd take someone like Defoe over him any day.

But he played as a left-sided midfielder at Leicester quite often, his main duty was also to hold the ball up, he wasnt/sint seen as a goal scoring striker, imo.

Good to see Greeno! back in the England squad :D

Anyway who cares who he picks were only playing Austria & poland who are dog shite!! A sunday league team could beat them with there hands tied behind there backs. ;)

well there's still the rest of the group to worry about... you ll have a laugh when you find out who we play after austria and poland, dazza :lol::

World Cup Qualifying Group 6

Sept 4th, 2004: Austria v England > Viena

Sept 8th, 2004: Poland vs England > Chorzow

Oct 9th, 2004: England v Wales > Old Trafford

Oct 13th, 2004: Azerbaijan v England > unknown venue

Mar 26th, 2005: England v North Ireland > Old Trafford

Mar 30th, 2005: England v Azerbaijan > St. James' Park

Sept 3rd, 2005: Wales v England > unknown venue (Cardiff?)

Sept 7th, 2005: North Ireland v England > unknown venue

Oct 8th, 2005: England v Austria > Old Trafford

well well well, wales, north ireland and azerbaijan... yay!

-fb

IMO Hesky is a good player to have on the bench, as long as you tell him not to try to tackle back, France anyone? ;) We lack height in the box, sometimes it's really needed and as mentioned on his day he's very good at holding the ball up.

I think Beckham should take Scholes' place in central midfield and give the RM spot to someone like Wright-Philips/Dyer (if he's ever fit) or Cole.

Placebo said:
IMO Hesky is a good player to have on the bench, as long as you tell him not to try to tackle back, France anyone? ;) We lack height in the box, sometimes it's really needed and as mentioned on his day he's very good at holding the ball up.

I think Beckham should take Scholes' place in central midfield and give the RM spot to someone like Wright-Philips/Dyer (if he's ever fit) or Cole.

sounds like a plan. becks has played in the middle before right? ive heard somewhere he is even more effective in the middle for real than on the wing. SWP would be my pick, over dyer, i guess only because of his sparkling form as of late. the middle could look like this:

SWP--Becks--Gerro--Lampard

but lampard on the left? thats just like putting scholes on the left, uesless... any other suggestions?

-fb

Yeah I haven't seen him play for Real unfortunately but for me it makes sense for him to play in the middle as he's really not the kind of winger to scare fullbacks.

With the players we have I think we should try a gamble, something like 3-5-2 with Campbell, Terry, King at the back, Ashley Cole or Wayne Bridge on the left, SWP on the right, Lampard, Gerrard, Beckham in the centre, they're all very good passers, pretty good tacklers and all completely wasted if put on the left :) Cole of course is primarily a fullback so can drop back to help on the left, SWP has played as a right back so can drop back to help on the right, the 3 in the middle can alternate between staying deep to protect the centre backs and making runs forward to link up the attack, depending how the game is going AC & SWP can be either defensive wide players or attacking wide players :)

In goal I think the sooner James is dropped the better, but who to replace him? I think the jury is still out on Robinson to some extent.

-------------------James--------------------
-------------King--Campbell--Terry-------

--SWP-----------------------------Ashley--

------------------Gerrard-------------------

------------Becks----------Lampard-------

------------------------Smith/Defoe-------

--------------Owen-------------------------

... hmm, looks just tantalizing, but we re missing Gary neville now, and hes an integral part of this team. but it still looks good eh? and yes, i agree with you, there are only 3-4 english golkeepers in the prem... im gonna try to name them now...

James, Kirkland, Robinson, Green... oh wait, Martyn, and Kiely... soo not 3-4, but 6? well if James should be dropped, who would fill in as the third? robinson?

-fb

In the event of injuries/form Neville could be one of the 3 CB's but I don't rate him as higher than a squad member, certainly not worth sticking with the old and failed 4-4-2 to accomodate him :) He could come on as the RM towards the end of the game if we're winning but I'm tired of seeing England take a lead then continually allow the ball to keep coming back at them :)

If Kirkland was fit and had played a good number of premiership games I think he would warrant a try, Green is far too untested, looked fairly good against Arsenal (first game I've seen him play) but out of James, Robinson and Green I would play them in the order of Robinson, James, Green :)

alright you lot, i have decided to make this thread more than it was, you can discuss anything to do with the WC06 preparations here. keep it here until the finals itself! here are all the groups in europe:

Group 1
Macedonia
Czech Republich
Netherlands
Romania
Andorra
Finland
Armenia

Group 2
Turkey
Denmark
Greece
Ukraine
Georgia
Albania
Kazakhstan

Group 3
Slovakia
Estonia
Portugal
Russia
Latvia
Liechtenstein
Luxembourg

Group 4
France
Republic of Ireland
Swizterland
Israel
Cyprus
Faroe Islands

Group 5
Italy
Slovenia
Scotland
Norway
Belarus
Moldova

Group 6
England
Poland
Austria
North Ireland
Azerbaijan
Wales

Group 7
Spain
Belgium
Serbia & Montenegro
Bosnia-Herzegovina
Lithuania
San Marino

Group 8
Sweden
Croatia
Bulgaria
Iceland
Hungary
Malta

-fb

footieBalla said:
and yes, i agree with you, there are only 3-4 english golkeepers in the prem... im gonna try to name them now...

James, Kirkland, Robinson, Green... oh wait, Martyn, and Kiely... soo not 3-4, but 6?
-fb

Kiely is Irish.

ok, here is brazilian team for the game against bolivia, and three days later, the friendly game against germany, in berlin (wc2006 final, perhaps? ;) , lol ).

.:

Brazil named the following squad on Tuesday for their World Cup qualifier at home to Bolivia on September 5 and their friendly international away to Germany three days later:

Goalkeepers: Fabio (Vasco da Gama), Julio Cesar (Flamengo)

Defenders: Belletti (Barcelona, Spain), Maicon (Monaco, France), Cris (Lyon,France), Luisao (Benfica, Portugal), Roque Junior (Bayer Leverkusen, Germany), Juan (Bayer Leverkusen, Germany), Gustavo Nery (Werder Bremen, Germany), Roberto Carlos (Real Madrid, Spain)

Midfielders: Edmilson (Barcelona, Spain), Gilberto Silva (Arsenal, England), Julio Baptista (Sevilla, Spain), Alex (Fenerbahce, Turkey), Renato (Sevilla, Spain), Edu (Arsenal, England), Juninho Pernambucano (Olympique Lyon, France)

Forwards: Adriano (Inter Milan, Italy), Nilmar (Internacional-Rs), Ronaldinho (Barcelona, Spain), Ronaldo (Real Madrid, Spain), Robinho (Santos)

----

everybody knows that players from AC Milan, and Bayern Munchen are banished from the brazilian national team , both teams refused to release the players for the game against haiti. Parreira said that the players didnt made any pressure to their clubs to attend to the game in haiti. so he wont be calling players from these teams anymore. (no kaka, cafu,dida,ze roberto and lucio.)

Milanista said:
Are you sad Fred? Im sad Fred :(

not really, if they dont want to play for Brazil, what can we (the ppl from br ) do? cafu can easilly be replaced, same goes for dida, lucio and ze roberto. kaka is the only problem, but when u have juninho pernanbucano, diego, edu, alex, u can easily forget kaka. but yes im kind of upset, but not sad.

I dont think the players are the ones who dont want to play, but it was Milan who asked them to stay for the Super Cup. I think the Brazil coach was a little too hard on the players because the Super Cup is more important than an International Friendly.

Milanista said:
I dont think the players are the ones who dont want to play, but it was Milan who asked them to stay for the Super Cup. I think the Brazil coach was a little too hard on the players because the Super Cup is more important than an International Friendly.

i know but this is not the first time that milan does this. i think Parreira did this, to try to see if the players really want to play for brazil, he wants an conflict between milan/bayern players and their managers, but i dont think thats gonna happen, so, i dont know whats their future in the brazilian team.

well, i just think it's a rash decision by parreira. he used to play professional himself right? retired just several years ago, so he must know the importance of crucial club ties.

anyhow, i read from somewhere that kenya has been suspended by FIFA so now they cant qualify for WC06 in the African bracket, why is this?

-fb

The friendly was against Haiti, Pele could have come back and scored a couple, forcing clubs who pay the wages to release them for such a mickey mouse game is a joke, it's like England playing some tiny team like Scotland and whinging because players won't be released ;)

Back
Top Bottom