WE9 Wishlist

I dunno about anyone else, but i think the highlights reel could be improved, also this game takes up far too much memory card space (PS2) - especially the replays! (possible usb mem stick- a la GT4 photo mode?)

One thing that really annoys me is when your player runs after the ball and knocks it off the pitch- why does the cpu seem to need to overide what direction i'm pressing and chase silly balls?

I would love to see and indefinite number of font numbers on the game, so we could add any to any team, wothout the restriction of four.

Intelligent use of substitutions. If you are leading with a few minutes to go the CPU should bring on another striker and push men forward, if the CPU is leading it should pull men back and occasionally throw on another defender. CPU tactics should change if you have a player sent off.

More red cards! When was the last time the CPU had a player sent off? I honestly can't remember it happening, ever. In 10 league matches in Serie A and the Premiership this weekend there were 6 red cards (3 in each league). Last week there were 6 in Serie A and 3 in the Premiership.

Correct tactics. Most of the tactics in this game are completely wrong. Have the developers ever heard of a flat back four? The wingers should play further upfield and hug the touchlines.

Keepers jumping for shots at the top corner and punching the ball 30 ft in the air has to go.

The ability to kick-up the ball from a standing position so you can juggle the ball off your knee or chest before volleying and also execute a rainbow kick (chilena). I know you can flick up a ball off your knee but the timing is too precise.

Ability to increase speed of the game by small percentages, not the pointless double speed crap.

- The single most pressing change would have to be the overall feel of SCORING A GOAL. As a lot of you have already mentioned to death, we want to WORK HARD for a goal and FEEL ECSTATIC when our hard work FINALLY pays off. A whimper of a cheer whenever we score is the most disgusting aspect that exists in all WE series and that has got to change if they want to continue earning our money. We want to feel the PASSION of football represented in the game. We want to see this:

http://s26.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=10QWHASSA6T8Y1QDGQ25MQKD4C

Just imagine for a second as if the clip above were a WE9 one, complete with the shooting bar at the bottom of the screen, and you've just scored through Totti. This is exactly what I need Konami to include in their games - the emotion of football. Of course, not every goal needs to be like that, but when I score the only goal in a Cup Final in the 89th minute, I expect ERUPTION and an unreserved expression of sheer joy, represented through the celebration aminations and audio approval. Sort it out, Konami.

- I don't give a tiny rat's ass about asthetics improvements because I think Konami is already pushing the limits of graphics for the PS2 very hard (and well) and I don't want their attention to be diverted towards making a beautiful game at the expense of a realistic one. We can all go play fifa if we want to see beautiful computer pictures.

- Presentation needs to be REVAMPED. I want the commentators' voices to overlap slightly when they're speaking because that's what happens in a live match, because both of them are equally excited about what happening and just wants to squeeze out random and unrehearsed comments into the microphone. I want a completely CHANGED style to mimick the TV presentation way in which when a player scores, the camera shakes just a little, the camera stays rooted for a couple of seconds at the goalmouth while you see his teammates running towards the same direction near the bottom of your screen (ie a lot of things happening around you but you can't see it! Brilliant..), it then cuts to a section of the (computer aminated) crowd going absolutely crazy.. THEN zooms into the celebrations where it has already been happening for a good 30 seconds.

- When I'm playing at home and just scored off a corner, the background curva visibly RISES together with the rest of the players' arms (when non-scoring players react to their team's goals they normally raise an arm or jump) in celebration of a goal. I want to see stewards and ball-boys standing beside the advertising hordings at one side of the pitch jump for joy at the same time; the overall feel that the stadium has just ERUPTED has to be present. It's not just about sliding the volume bar of the crowd cheer up a notch, Konami. It's about subtle details.

- Remove all the stupid dribbling moves. I want this game to be dominated by people who have a footballing brain, not by people who have mastered the art of button combinations or timing.

- All my grouses from WE8 seem to have already been addressed in WE8LE. My paet peeves were 1. How it was so easy to turn defenders by first running up, then suddenly running down. Space was created instantly and it's almost fool proof. I could do this up-down move 10 times in a row in an opponent's penalty box with the opposing defender getting faked out everytime; it's soooo arcade-y. 2. How it was ridiculously easy to chip the keeper. When I was playing the PC version of WE8i with online opponents, I was thrashed double-digit figures by human opponents who simply put a really fast forward in the middle of my defence (typically Henry), slot him a through ball and let him lob it over my keeper, even when I was putting 10 men behind the ball. It's a 2-button move and they managed to score the exact same way 10 times each half. No real skills were involved - just very smart people who managed to capitalise on the flaws of the game. 3. Dribbling is dead easy on we8 and a fast player always equates to a good player in the game. Not true in real life, Konami.

- I hope through balls can be much more difficult to pull off. Spaces should be all but covered up in WE8 so that only 1 in probably 20 through balls gives you a one-on-one situation with the keeper; the other 19 times the defenders should be able to cut it out or clear. The risk of pressing the through ball button must be increased because it represents a difficult (and almost always possesion-losing) pass in real life and should be reflected as such in the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
i agree with one of the previous posts and think that you should be able to get sent off for dissent or retaliation etc

Also how about adboards that change for every stadium, every stadium in the world doesnt have the same adboards. electronic ones like in europe :-) (that would be nice)

i know the graphics of the ps2 are already being pushed but i have an xbox it would cope no bother.

Dare i say that this will be on Xbox 360 in December?

More realistic corners etc. why is there only 4 attacking players in the box most of the time? why cant you choose who comes up, eg for chelsea always make terry, gallas and carvalho come up for corners like they do, and the way that bridge and makelele always stay back. also the way in which players dont attack the ball from deadballs, the computer just makes 2 players, 1 from each team go for it, why not players attack it, the box should be packed with bodies.

-Also more faces, why only 20 faces of black/coloured players?
-Why cant we access the default hairstyles of players, as david backham has grown his hair, i think kezman has good default hair that would fit, why cant i assign that hair to beckham also?
-Why does every 'short' hair style have stupidly short shaved hair on the side, the game needs more medium length hair styles.
-Kit-editor selection is a joke.
-Why can big slow robert huth magically catch up thierry henry when henry has the ball? sort it out konami.
-stop scripting the game, why do my players always manage to foul someone when they would end-up clean through on goal? and always miss penalties in master league mode?
- make players come ot the ball! first thing you get taught in football!
- make players attack crosses more, why do most wait for it to drop on their head!?
- also why do players try and head it when you want them to hit a screaming volley, yet try a screaming volley overhead when all they have to do is head it?
- crowd nosies and how the crowd look is a joke.
- someone who has a gcse in english to write the commentary script.
- more types of penalty, why cant you slam it bottom corner? why cant you place it top corner?
- better kit colours in edit mode, there seems to be every colour except the one you want. everything is either to light or to dark.
- make faster players faster. henry has 99 for all speed and dribble speed attributes, yet vornander cam catch him?

Wenyong said:
- The single most pressing change would have to be the overall feel of SCORING A GOAL. As a lot of you have already mentioned to death, we want to WORK HARD for a goal and FEEL ECSTATIC when our hard work FINALLY pays off. A whimper of a cheer whenever we score is the most disgusting aspect that exists in all WE series and that has got to change if they want to continue earning our money. We want to feel the PASSION of football represented in the game. We want to see this:

http://s26.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=10QWHASSA6T8Y1QDGQ25MQKD4C

In short you want to hear the blood curdling roar.

I agree the circus tricks are largely pointless. One of my major gripes with this game that still hasn't been addressed is the CPU players running vertically and further back when pressed, they should pass the ball back. The AI is in this game is no better than FIFA or FIFA Street. It really is inexcusable.

it would be nice to see players stand off and jockey you more instead of flying straight in with a challange.

when, for example, Figo gets the ball in real life defenders never dive straight in
because they know he will skip past them.

Benn_Black said:
In short you want to hear the blood curdling roar.

Well yeah but there'a a lot more than that.. if you read my previous post in full you would have noticed I addressed all that I feel is neccessary to convey the passion of the sport into a football game.. it's not just about the bloody roar. :)

For one thing I would like to see things like players hurdling over advertising boards to join in the fans in celebration of an important goal. The fans are an integral part of the actual sport but precious little is represented in the game. That's what takes a lot of "feeling" away from the game.

Wenyong said:
Well yeah but there'a a lot more than that.. if you read my previous post in full you would have noticed I addressed all that I feel is neccessary to convey the passion of the sport into a football game.. it's not just about the bloody roar. :)

For one thing I would like to see things like players hurdling over advertising boards to join in the fans in celebration of an important goal. The fans are an integral part of the actual sport but precious little is represented in the game. That's what takes a lot of "feeling" away from the game.

I would strongly suggest e-mailing the developers, if you could find the
e-mail address. I did after WE8 was released.

players sometimes DO jump over the adboards but they just stand their and wave or sumthing.... they should improve this and turn it into somthing similar to that totti goal showed earlier

Add the 2nd forward position (2nd Top/Shadow Striker) to separate strikers from forwards. A position where the player floats between the CF and OMF position. This should put an end to the CF/OMF pattern that does not correspond and has being going on for years for players who are natural Shadow strikers like Del Piero, Raul, Bergkamp, Tomasson, Ronaldinho and for others that play this as a secondary position.

Here's the picture kind of:

As main position

Bergkamp, Del Piero, Cassano, Zola, Di Canio, Mutu, Jose Reyes play Second Top, not OMF nor CF

Totti, Ronaldinho, Recoba play Second Top and also can play OMF, but not CF

Raul, Tomasson Franca play Second Top and also CF, but not OMF

Rivaldo plays Second Top and also OMF and CF

As secondary position

Adriano, Gudjohnsen, Larrson, Etoo, Ronney, Kluivert (CF's),van Persie (LW) play Second Top, not OMF

Giggs (WG),Scholes (CMF), Djorkaeff (OMF), Ljungberg (SMF), Pires (OMF), Kaka (OMF) play Second Top not CF

...and so on with the rest (get the picture?)....

-Add the Wingback position.A position where the player floats between the SB and SMF position. Players that play on the side of 3-4-3, 3-5-2, 3-6-1 formations play as wingbacks not side midfielders.

-Instead of having only the classic uniform selction (home/home, home/away, away/home, away away) there should be the classic uniform selection plus an option to combine the all the uniforms (shirts,socks,shorts) the way you like as in to simulate real life kit clashing

-Real time: instead of having the option day or night, it would be better to have a range of time say 12 noon to 9pm, in this way the shadows in the stadiums would change and the light of the day would also change if I start playing a match at 5pm (daylight) after halftime I would be playing the match at sunset, and a few minutes later at night. A similar thing should happen with weather.

-Special ability stars: Have different types---yellow, orange and red like normal stats so that there are players that are better in a given special ability and perform it more often than others.

For e.g.

Henry:

Dribble *
Running out *
Side player *
B.F. Feint *
1vs1 shooter *

Bergkamp:
Playmaker *
Dribble Keep *
B.F. Feint *
1vs1 shooter *
Direct play *
Outside *

Totti:
Running out *
Playmaker *
1vs1 shooter *
Direct play *
Outside *

Ronaldo:

Dribble keep *
Running out *
B.F. Feint *
Positioning *
Striker *
1vs1 shooter *

etc, etc

-Different sized pitches (Highbury small pitch, Nou Camp large pitch, etc, etc) .

-Fix player opposite foot accuracy and frequency A.I.

The weak foot accuracy and frequency stats have never worked right since their introduction in the WE series. I've seen Rivaldo kick the ball like a thousand times with his right foot in the game. Even if you edit both stats to 1 the player will still kick the ball with his opposite foot a lot of times.

Another thing Konami keeps doing(just like normal stats not being lower than 50) is setting the weakest foot accuracy at 3, so I don't really see the point in having a 1 to 8 scale...

Players with opposite foot accuray from 5 to 8 (normal to excellent) should have a default preferred foot for fk's, corners and pk's: Right / Left / Both (switches foot automatically depending on the angle). Like Forlan or Wesley Sneijder who switch foot depending on the the side of the pitch or the angle they're kicking from; Nicolas Olivera (Uruguay) who plays with his left but kicks penalties with his right foot; Maldini or Iuliano who switch foot when making long feed fk's, etc.

So for e.g.

Maldini:
Foot-Right
Opposite foot accuracy-8
Opposite foot frequency-8
FK foot-Both
CK foot-Right
PK foot-Left

Sneijder:
Foot-Right
Opposite foot accuracy-8
Opposite foot frequency-6
FK foot-Both
CK foot-Both
PK foot-Right

Forlan:
Foot-Right
Opposite foot accuracy-8
Opposite foot frequency-8
FK foot-Both
CK foot-Both
PK foot-Both

In addition to this, implement a ingame switch foot button for dead ball situations (Press R2 and the player will switch foot)

-Fix the god damn keeper animations, set them back like they used to be in WE5/WE6 (get rid of the save all with two hands goalkeepers) Long pants for keepers.

-PK should be like normal freekicks (using the power bar, adding curve or power, high or low) That would be more realistic than the current penalty kick system that's been going on in the WE series for some years now....players should also take runs before they kick like in real life (Short runs: F. de Boer/Figo; Long runs: van Nistelrooy)

-Tape on socks and wristbands should look better ingame from far angles (they look too "thin" and tend to "disapear"). Different types/colors of wristbands. High tape on socks (Gallas).

-Ankle socks (Kallon, Cristiano Ronaldo)

-CPU controlled teams never use the switch side strategy, this should be fixed

-Team management options:Assigning what players do in defensive and offensive FK situations like in CM: stay inside/outside the box, stay in midfield, stay in the left post, stay in the right post, etc.

Last edited:
Benn_Black said:
I would strongly suggest e-mailing the developers, if you could find the
e-mail address. I did after WE8 was released.

You did? Do they actually listen? I hope they do. What did you suggest to them after the release of WE8? :)

I like quite everything in the game, and one thing that i hate but they finally correct in we8le is that everytime that u do a transfer from the edit menu and u want to edit this player that u transfered, well he's still on the former team!!!So it was really annoying to go back in the former team and edit the player, cause most of the time i forgot from where i bought it!!!But finally they did right...
-Ok, about the w9, well Konami, please just make in the konami cup an option to play home and away game, like in the champions league, i mean in the group stage.
-And also please, make better the shoots...they really sucks.Sometimes i ask myself how is it possible that my player score with the left foot 'cause it was perfect 4 the right one!!!!
-Licences of all clubs and nationals.
-A different angle to shoot a penalty.
-Different ways to shoot a penalty.

i think it's not to much askin'...

- game speed slider!!!
- exact same PK system as in ISS64 + power bar
- more free kick variations (up to 3 players, normal fk styles for both players if 2 lining up)
- longer run up for those fk styles with only one step
- players dont react at all when they are close to crosses being whipped in/powerful shots coming straight at them
- can control every facet of attacking & defending in dead ball situations (free kicks + corners). this includes positioning, player's roles etc etc
- computer AI players still press unnecessarily and too often - eg strikers charging towards GK with the ball and opposition defensive line. also, players more than often stand their ground waiting (sometimes even backing off step by step) for the opponent with the ball to make his move before challenging for the ball. in this department AI still has a long way to go.
- GKs need to be more animated - leaping, jumping around like in real life
- very high rate of GKs diving full stretch and catching balls on the foul with both hands from free kicks. GKs save alot by just by palming the ball to the ground and conveniently picking it up. both very unrealistic and needs to be fixed
- stadium pitch editor - can adjust tone of green, draw up turf patterns
- winter day games can begin with daylight in first half then night in 2nd
- empty space in the game for stadiums + teams so that patchers can easily insert more without having to replace anything (never going to happen but...)

Last edited:
Wenyong said:
You did? Do they actually listen? I hope they do. What did you suggest to them after the release of WE8? :)

All sorts of things, the shooting, ball physics, poor AI etc, etc. I believe someone posted a link to the feedback section on their Japanese website.

i forgot to mention two things that will enhance the game to add in next version..what you guys think?
- substitution limits as in real life: league games (5), cup games (7), world cup (10)
- match fitness attribute. putting a player that have just recovered from an injury into starting lineup and playing him for an extended period of time more will decrease his effectiveness and form significantly

1st Issue: ADJUST THE FUCKING DEFENCE!!!! There are a lotta people who like to play defensively, who said attacking is the only way to play a match?

2: If Konami doesn't wanna buy more licenses, then twould be nice to have a much better in-game editor. Also the possibility to edit National Teams as well as licensed ones would be cool.

3: Much more real keepers. Please, they seem to be 6-8 kids learning how to keep.

4: Slow the gameplay down! C' mon, no team could hold that rythm for a whole match, players do get tired, they're human beings.

5: Personally, I would feel nice to see the Mexican League on it just as Fifa did this year. Even though you think of it as low-level stuff, it actually is one of the best in America, I must say the 2nd or 3rd in order together with Brazilian an Argentinian leagues.If you can't believe me, just research on how Mexican teams are doing in Copa Libertadores 2005.

6: More free teams to edit.

7: More defensive special abilities.

8: More strategical options such as game delaying, shirt tugging, and injuring; although they're cheating stuff, they actually go on in real life.

9: More boots and a deeper editing system.

10: Create yer stadium option, or at least, include more American and African stadiums. I'd like to see "Estadio Azteca", I guess it's much more important than Sapporo Dome or that kinda bullshit cos' Pelé, Maradona, and other soccer stars played there... as well as how could soccer fans forget 'bout Argentina-England or Italia-Deütschland games played on its field!

11: Players warming up and coaches shouting on the sidelines would be fine!

Hope some points get accomplished on the next game. At least ADJUST THE DAMN DEFENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks...

I think there should be a golf mode where the players can go play on their days off. The players would have various golfing attributes too, like driving power, accuracy, putting accuracy, bunker play, mentality on pressure shots, etc.

im not a man of many wants and wishes.

just make the players have 360 movement and the ability to high pass to anyne one the team, near or far.

also make the players contrll the ball, instead of letting it bounce.

also, better shot animations

fuck anything else, i just want improvements on the pitch, none of this editing crap or cutscenes just make the damn gameplay more realistic.

I would like to see:
• More boot slots (20 would be great but know that will never happen:()
• Two player master league where you can be two different teams and both build up your sides form scratch
• European licencing
• A new cup where you can recreate the Champions league ties (e.g. home and away ties in league format) - 2 leg knockout stages

- edited players' appearance are constantly reflected in master league
- a player can have up to 2 free kick styles for eg totti uses long run up for fk from distance, normal for shorter range

plumbers_x said:
However, I realise there is more chance of one of my turds building a rocket and flying to Mars.
LOL

Placebo said:
Other than the obvious stuff like a massive increase in leagues/teams/manager/career stuff (at least SWOS level), one silly little thing I'd like to see is shot speed displayed in goal replays, simple to calculate and good for bragging rights :)
Good idea!

Replays:

* Possibility to play in real time (from any of the camera angles that are available in-game) and WITH sound. How often do you score a great goal, only for the replay speed (slow) and no sound to make it appear less than great!?
* Calculate shot speed and distance (you should be able to choose metres or yards in options)

SPiTFiRE[NN] said:
15 slots for boots (5 editables & 10 non-editables)
Why 15? With the amount of room one pair of boots would take up, you could realistically have every boot ever manufactured, plus a few prototypes thrown in for good measure

pbchillin said:
someone who has a gcse in english to write the commentary script
They've made every language produce the same strings of commentary, "nice idea" is in the Jap version, in the same context as the English.

Some of the things Peter Brackley comes out with just sound pathetic, if they left him and Trevor Brooking to their own devices it'd sound so much more realistic (Brackley is a very good commentator when unscripted).

Last edited:
different goal net types - i.e. stantion(?), different styles etc. I know most stadiums have the box-nets nowadays but surely it would be nice to have this option as a customisable feature on the stadiums.

lower leagues - as mentioned there is plenty of space on the DVD and i wouldn't mind the release being put back a couple of months so that there were more clubs.

purely cosmetic i know and i agree with most of the gameplay enhancements mentioned.

I agree with every thing here. one thing i would like is the ablitly to appeal cards. like in real life you have so many days to appeal and if it goes through you don't get banned. and maybe even fine players for cards and what not.

i dont care about graphics or een liscence or teams or players (it can all be done with an option file)

all i want is no bad againg in master league (adriano drops in ability at 22!!!) and most of all NOT CATCH UP CHEATING EFFECTs i hate the way they makle your stats go down and their gfo up at random times when the CPU is behind, it happens only hwen they are 6 goals down or somehting stupid and there is now way they are gonna come back,

either make the ai more inteligent or let us thrash the ell out of them cause it makes the game unplayable sometime, i turn it off as soon as it starts happening, fair enough in an arcade racing game but in a simulation football game it is just unaccectable

Back
Top Bottom