What are the rules if Liverpool win champions league but dont qualify in league?

A

Alucard

Would be weird if Liverpool was to win CL this season but be out of it next season. Whats the rules for this?

They would take over one of the EPL's CL spots, much like Real Madrid did in 2002 i think it was. So technically they can kick Everton out of the CL.

The winner of the CL and UEFA cup has automatic entry to next season's competition. So Liverpool would be in next season's if they win this season's CL :).

If liverpool automatically qualified that would mean 5 premiership teams could go through or would the 4th place team be excluded?

The 4th team which in this case might be Everton will be excluded if Liverpool go all the way and win it.

I thought I heard UEFA say that you only get automatic qualification if your league has less than 4 teams qualifying. Cuz the maximum has to be 4 and not more.
If a team from one of the smaller countries wins where they have less than 4 qualifiers, they can guarantee themselves a place.

Thats what I read but I cant remember where. I think it was a newspaper. I might be wrong though.

Alucard said:
Liverpool was to win CL this season

well, it's something the toffees are banking on not happening, it would ruin a very fruitful season for them, result wise

-fb

It would be such a low blow if Everton were knocked out by Liverpool. Just whole thing about them being rivals and Everton finally getting a CL place and then having it snatched away would piss any Everton fan off. If I was a Everton fan, I'd kill someone.

The English FA would have to decide which team (Liverpool as CL winners or Everton as 4th placed team) which team would go into next season's CL as 4 is the max number of teams from any association.

From Here

Derby duel
The top four in England has changed little all term, although Liverpool FC's 2-1 derby win at home against Everton FC on Sunday moved them to within four points of their rivals. If Liverpool were to win this season's Champions League and finish fifth, it would be at the discretion of the Football Association to choose who would get the fourth, and final, available place.

I think the English FA have already stated that, if there was a choice to make, then they would pick the CL winners (Liverpool) ahead of 4th placed team (eg Everton/Bolton).

Milanista said:
They would take over one of the EPL's CL spots, much like Real Madrid did in 2002 i think it was. So technically they can kick Everton out of the CL.

Your mean Bolton. Bolton are destined to finish fourth it will come down to the final match of the season Bolton V Everton. Liverpool are complete and utter shite, they won't beat Chelsea in the Champs league and will struggly to win more than two of their remaining matches in the premier league, leaving it to be a battle between Everton and Bolton for that final champs leaguespot.

smango said:
Your mean Bolton. Bolton are destined to finish fourth it will come down to the final match of the season Bolton V Everton. Liverpool are complete and utter shite, they won't beat Chelsea in the Champs league and will struggly to win more than two of their remaining matches in the premier league, leaving it to be a battle between Everton and Bolton for that final champs leaguespot.
Thats the realistic outcome but we're talking about a possible outcome.

There's no way the winners of the Champions League would not be allowed to defend their title the next season. It would make a mockery of the whole competition if you think about it. Its harsh as f*** for Everton/Bolton but thats the way it'll go should events unfold like that.

The winners enter automaticaly, no matter is position in the league!
If someone needs to be kicked out then they shall! :s
It would be a scandal if the winner would be out of the CL because of some FA grunt who thinks that EPL has more weight in their decision than the CL. I mean it can't be even considered!

:)

It's up to the FA to decide.

I dont think Everton can stay in 4th anyway, with games vs ManU (tday) Arsenal and Bolton to go.

And Pool can still land 4th by the end of the weekend, if not be tied by today.

There's no reason to think any of the Champs League teams can't win it all, including Liverpool. Ask Juventus or Leverkusen.

Once you reach a knockout stage, all domestic form and previous results have to be thrown out of the window. Anyone can win the CL including Liverpool.
Do I have to remind people about Porto and Monaco last year?

Joystick said:
There's no way the winners of the Champions League would not be allowed to defend their title the next season. It would make a mockery of the whole competition if you think about it. Its harsh as f*** for Everton/Bolton but thats the way it'll go should events unfold like that.

the comp makes a mockery of itself anyway its all in the name. think about it..........

i will be cheering on the pool someones got to beat that team.

It's a big IF, whether Liverpool win the Champions league...they're not even in the final...so let's cross that bridge when we get there, shall we?

I hope Liverpool do win the CL, beating Chelsea and Milan/PSV is difficult,
but possible.
If they do win the CL, then Everton/Bolton will not go through to the CL.
The FA will put Liverpool ahead.

RuneEdge said:
It would be such a low blow if Everton were knocked out by Liverpool. Just whole thing about them being rivals and Everton finally getting a CL place and then having it snatched away would piss any Everton fan off. If I was a Everton fan, I'd kill someone.
I think that would be hilarious. :lol:

jamie_mack said:
but seriously Liverpool winning the Champs league! :lmao:
about as likely as Man City winning the league. :lmao:.............seriously though, we do have a chance and I believe that Liverpool out of the four remaining teams have the best chance against Chelsea, having played and come close on all three occasions this season.

I think the scousers have every chance of winning it. Its a one off game, anything can happen.

IMO the rules are a disgrace. The winners of the trophy should be allowed in next season to defend it regardless of their final league position. I think its a joke.

However, all this is immaterial if Milan win so its not really a debate until Liverpool win.

I heard it was related to the English Euroban in the 80's. Everton won the league the year english teams were banned, so they were not given CL due to Heysel.

Back
Top Bottom