What are your favourite PES/WE titles?

?

• Total voters
i don't understand such obsession with pes3. everything that came after it was way much better than that particual game.yes, it was the best football game in 2003/2004, but it was ovematched by its successors.

at least now, after so many years, we can neutraly assess all those pes titles, without emotions of the days they came out... recently i decided to play it again with good old wendetta patch and it plays way more arcadish than pes4/5/6 (we8/9/10). those games are simply better and improved.

Last edited:
i don't understand such obsession with pes3. everything that came after it was way much better than that particual game.yes, it was the best football game in 2003/2004, but it was ovematched by its successors.

at least now, after so many years, we can neutraly assess all those pes titles, without emotions of the days they came out... recently i decided to play it again with good old wendetta patch and it plays way more arcadish than pes4/5/6 (we8/9/10). those games are simply better and improved.

I could say t same about people obsessed with pes 5 or pes 6. It is just a metter of preferences. I never loved for example pes 6 gameplay. Too many flaws like cutback goals or too easy long distance screamer. Pes 5 is already better, but I still prefer pes 3 over it. Just my personal preferences. Same applies with various versions of pes 5. Some prefer winning eleven 9 for korean market. Othes prefer pes 5, while Others like me prefer j League winning eleven 9 asia Championship on PS2. You don't need to understand, there is nothing to understand. Passions are passions. It's not just about good old times. In fact lately I play more pes 2016 than pes 3. Mostly cause pes 3 do not have a BAL mode which I literally adore. And it is not even based on which pes people plays first. My first try on pes was on International Superstar Soccer on sega mega drive. But I sold it almost immediately cause I didn't like it. At that times I much prefered FIFA. I started to like pes when the first absolute winning eleven arrived on psx. Mostly cause first I bought FIFA 97 but it was too much bugged. Too many times the ball literally passed through the goalkeeper body and entered the goal :D
Winning eleven was less funny but also much less bugged. My first real love arrived for ISS Pro '98. From there I kept playing only PES, no more FIFA till recent times. Every year I Always switched for the newer versions. The only version I kept playing even when newer versions arrived was exactly PES 3. I simply loved the game flow, the speed, the way both me or the CPU build up play. You call this gameplay arcade? Your opinion. I call this gameplay fun. And it was also the last PES in which I cold finish a match 0-0 with a friend and still have a lot of fun. From PES 4 on, it was Always less possible (at least for me and my friends) to finish a match with a low score. On PES 6 I remember scores like 8-6 or 11-11 in a 10 minutes match. We had to start proibiting some type of game like "do not shoot from far" or "never make a cut pass or a low cross from sides, only lob crosses allowed" and so on. This is what I call arcade. A game that forces me to not play some types of actions because they are too easy over other actions. Sorry for the long post. I just tried my best to explain my point.

P.S: Yes I am the same guy that asked you about the PES 6 option file, but exactly to use it as a template to update PES 3 :D

I admire you guys that still do play old pes. I personally came back from fifa 13 back in 2013, playing pes 6/5/we9le the last few years. But now it is too easy for me against the cpu. I wished there was a way to make the cpu better, 'cause i'd play the old titles all the time.

ISS 64 was the game that actually "initiated" me to the Konami football games at home (The ISS series is where my old username 'Kleimann' came from), followed by the bigger and better ISS 98.

Then I'd say PES5 (in terms of gameplay, the pinnacle of the PS2 era in my opinion) and PES6 (so loved by many to the extent that it still lives on after nearly 10 years) are the ones I'd keep from the PS2 era.

PES 2011
is the best game of the PS3 era for me (even if I got opposite feelings about it while playing, like "I love it but I hate it at the same time"[/I), and a notable mention goes to PES 2014 as it has been a brave attempt at making things better.

It's the starting point from which PES 2015 (which I consider a very good game personally and still the best of the PS4 generation, and possibly one of the best PES games to date) originated so it couldn't be missing in my collection.

For me it is PES 6 first, I think I like it a bit more than PES 2016, and third comes PES 2010. But a good player loves all games so there is not really a need to dicuss it :P

Winning Eleven 10 by a landslide. It basically combines every good aspect of PES 5 AND 6. As it was released in April 2006, it still has the 2005/06 database, with players such as Bergkamp, Shearer, Zidane, etc. still active and Arsenal wearing their claret kits pre-move to Emirates and players' exodus. Plus, it has both a full Bundesliga and the International Challenge mode, which is perfect for the time since you can still call up players like Kily González and Figueroa for Argentina, as they are still in game. In addition, it still has gameplay elements from PES 5 plus some great improvements implemented by PES 6, and it's the only WE/PES that has the +Teamgeist as its default ball (PES 5 had the Pelias II, PES 6 had the +Teamgeist 2). Hours and hours of fun and unpredictability. Safe choice for me.

In addition, I'm working on some kind of "revival patch" if you're interested ;)

Winning Eleven 10 by a landslide. It basically combines every good aspect of PES 5 AND 6. As it was released in April 2006, it still has the 2005/06 database, with players such as Bergkamp, Shearer, Zidane, etc. still active and Arsenal wearing their claret kits pre-move to Emirates and players' exodus. Plus, it has both a full Bundesliga and the International Challenge mode, which is perfect for the time since you can still call up players like Kily González and Figueroa for Argentina, as they are still in game. In addition, it still has gameplay elements from PES 5 plus some great improvements implemented by PES 6, and it's the only WE/PES that has the +Teamgeist as its default ball (PES 5 had the Pelias II, PES 6 had the +Teamgeist 2). Hours and hours of fun and unpredictability. Safe choice for me.
We have a winner - that's an incredibly compelling argument...

The poll clearly shows how the game has bombed since PES6. Signs of a recovery with this version? The demo wasn't enough to entice me to buy but it was a step back in the right direction and I might pick it up cheap somewhere in the summer to give it a better go.

For me it's PES6 still, modded and with option files toned down it plays even better than the original.

If only they could go back to the engine around the time of pes6/we10 add in next generation graphics etc and polish up the flaws.

I remember being shocked when I bought pes2008 after having so much fun with PES6 and thinking what the hell have they done?

If only they could go back to the engine around the time of pes6/we10 add in next generation graphics etc and polish up the flaws.

See, going by personal interest and out of sentiment, that is an understandable opinion, otherwise your point is flawed.

Konami had enough time polishing PS2 engine and I think no one would want that Konami goes back to old engine wasting time like that, also it's hard and inefficient to boost old games graphically anyway.

One aspect that made those games great is that the engine to platform/capabilities ratio so to speak was good, they never got that right with PS3, but somehow needed to make progress, basically still many fundamentals from PS2 but many things build on top but it not worked out that well as we all know by now.

To meet nowadays standards both in general and from pes fans (old engine fans as well) you need to totally forget PS2, you simply can't make a Next Gen PES6, it's impossible, PES 6 is a child from his era, you only can take several core design/philosophy aspects and write it from scratch to new engine, that can work, otherwise I feel that Konami is not only harming themselves but all of the community if they try to copy/simulate some sort of PS2 Engine gameplay/flair whatever in todays time with todays engines and capabilities.

One good example is PES 2011 with the manual passing, somehow the AI can't catch up (ketchup bug aside hehe), it was a bit too easy to spam these precisely and with all sorts of players, and the game still was not fully 360°, you simply can't make one new feature and put it on top of the old fundamental basis, PS2 engine titles somewhat got that integrity and never had this issues, Konami needs to remind itself to really clean out their closets otherwise there is no "round" PES possible.

Look at the FOX Engine snippets they took and implemented, all of a sudden the GK and REF AI has issues, all sorts of things, nope, not like that Konami.

For me it has to be Pro Evolution 3.

PES1 was great, PES2 was quite simply sublime, and PES3 continued the trend by being just that bit better, just that bit sleeker, and just that bit more like the real beautiful game. For me it was beyond sublime, Quite simply the best football game ever on a console. In my view this still stands to this day. Really does.

Everything you could want in a football game was here. A far more realistic master league, which featured 4 seperate leagues each split into two divisions, which led to a champions league style tournament between the top teams of each league.

Player transfers between teams were tweaked to near perfection: you could no longer acquire players with no club team for free, which made for a much more balanced master league experience.

Players performed the duties they performed in real life. Zidane was a playmaker with incredible skill, Roberto Carlos powered down the wing and shot from long distance, David Seaman let a lot of poor shots past him.

The gameplay was honed to perfection. Matches could be high scoring or they could be 0-0 affairs where nothing you do works.

It was all down to you - if you had the skill, you could pull something special out of the bag. If you're just running straight at the goal, more often then not you'll be broken down and counter-attacked. Your players have varying morale and fitness - if you don't rest key men you can find yourself suffering at the hands of a team far below you in the league.

Celebrations were better also! There were many trademark celebrations, and I was pleased that scoring late in the game made the striker pick the ball out of the net and run back to the centre.

The licence was as always disappointing: But I solved this by purchasing the update disc from amazon, (Yes, do you remember the update discs? if only we could have them nowdays) which was cheap enough and worked perfectly. As a result, this game could not be any better. it helped make a great game absolutely irresistable.

The commentary was fine, and functional. There are some pretty nifty comments (although I was disappointed that PES2's 'that's the shot of a master!' had been removed) but it is mostly unspectacular.

One player was fantastic, as were exhibition matches or tournaments with two or more players. You could kill many hours on PES3 multiplayer.

It is often said, but it needs saying again. PES3 was how football is supposed to be. It flowed, it was realistic, and when it all came together, it felt brilliant.

I couldn't have said it better. Individuality is so much better in PES 3 than in PES 5/6.

Re: Whats your favourite PES/WE title?

Haven't voted yet as for the last 10 years I would have said PES 5 on the PS2, BUT and its a big BUT, I have just discovered PES 2013 on the PS3.

PES 5 has been fantastic and continues to be fantastic while playing against my brother, but against CPU it is easy now. Even with all the tweaks and stat changes that I have tried over the last 5 years.

When I first played PES 2013 on the PS3 I could not defend and didn't have the patience. But now against the CPU, I have worked out how to block the channels, to time the tackles right. When you do that, the CPU plays differently. Each team plays differently. I played as QPR v West Ham in the FA cup and West Ham just kept pumping the ball up to Carroll. (It's an old option file as I know West Ham don't play like that now). They were 1-0 up and then had a penalty. Our keeper saved and we broke away and Kranjcar scored a curler from outside the box. We eventually lost but it was a great game.

I am finding it so realistic and also frustrating when I miss a chance. But when I score it is FANTASTIC, just like PES 5 was. Fist pumping, recording replays, recording saves....

So I am going to hold off my vote for now.

What I do know is that PES 2016, 2015, and 2014 will not be getting a vote from me. ;)

Do you not find it way too easy to keep possession in PES 2013? I agree though it's definitely a good game and arguably the best of the PS3 gen.

Do you not find it way too easy to keep possession in PES 2013? I agree though it's definitely a good game and arguably the best of the PS3 gen.

Heh heh did you check the date of my post? Back then i liked it but now i dont play it. In fact i began to find it frustrating in the end. Its funny to look back at my old posts and think “did i really say that”. It makes me realise how much my opinion changes.

I prefer PES2008 PS2 version and i have also been playing FIFA18 a bit but if i am honest i am finding footy games frustrating now.

Heh heh did you check the date of my post? Back then i liked it but now i dont play it. In fact i began to find it frustrating in the end. Its funny to look back at my old posts and think “did i really say that”. It makes me realise how much my opinion changes.

I prefer PES2008 PS2 version and i have also been playing FIFA18 a bit but if i am honest i am finding footy games frustrating now.

Haha no, I thought this was a new thread as it's recently got some activity. Guess I need to check the date of posts lol. But yeah, I know you're into 2008 now. I know what you mean by frustrated though. It's hard to get excited for new releases because there's barely any innovation now. You could even say footy games are regressing in some ways.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom