What is football fandom? (University Research)

KOP_007

Banned
22 March 2003
Merseyside
I know everyone hates doing surveys, questionnaires and the like, so I don't expect a huge response from this...but would really appreciate your help.

Basically, what I'm doing it examining football fandom from an emotional perspective (don't laugh)...in the hope of answering my main research question of whether football is a religion.

These questions have already been carried out on matchdays at Liverpool, Everton, Tranmere, Barcelona and Ajax (non match day), with good success.

Feel free to write as much or as little as you like, and to skip any questions.

Obviously, some of this will be going into an academic report, so make sure you're ok with that.

Thanks.

ps. I'm putting this on every forum on the internet...so if you see it around, it's me or one of my minions.

ps. This is ok at Evo-Web?

ps. I hate students as well, it's not my fault.

Thanks

1. What is your first memory of football?

2. How did you become a (Insert team) Fan?

3. What was your greatest influence in becoming a fan?

4. What type of football fan are you?

5. Can you describe your matchday experience?
- What do you do on matchdays?

6. What are some of your best and worst moments in football?
- How does that make you feel?

7. Do you discuss football with friends, family, workmates?
8. Do you read football magazines, books, newspapers, websites?
9. Do you play football?

10. Is football a big part of your life?

11. Who are your greatest rivals?

12. Who are the worst/best fans?

13. How was your team’s performance last season?

14. What is your expectation for next season/this season?

15. Is football more than 90 minutes?

16. What do you think of football being called a new religion?
- Are you religious?

Italy in WC 98. Last thing I remember is Italy losing in the PK shootout but deserving better!

Family always supported Milan

Dad, and Italians lol

I dont know what types there are, but Im one who enjoys being able to watch the match fully in order to analyse the play. I will do whatever i can to watch ALL matches of my team.

Not sure what to write
Sit infront of the couch with friends, family or dad with volume up really high. Some times I go to the stadium with friends.

Losing to Deportivo after winning 4-1. Best is the 3-2 comeback to beat Inter in the 03/04 season... losing 2-0, then seedorf scoring the BOMB goal in the 86th minute to make it 3-2...we also won the league..spectacularly.

I cried when we lost to deportivo, was a one off of the season. Winning the season with so many goals and points, and losing only twice made the victory so deserved.

With friends loads - everyday, family yes, workmates aswell.

magazines, newspapers and websites

9. Do you play football?
Everyday during break

Yes

Juve and Inter

Not sure what you mean here, but Juve fans are always better than Inter fans, mainly because Milan and Juve have more trophies, so laughing at inter is easy.

Boring and poor, our coach is running out of ideas. Came 2nd and lost the CL

Trophiless - potential candidates for end stages of the CL

Not sure I know what you mean, but no unless its extra time??

Cant be a new religion because people dont worship it everyday or believe in it like we do with God etc.

- Are you religious?
Nope, atheist.

The 1970 World Cup
2. How did you become a Brussels and Manchester United Fan?
Because my father was a fan of a rival team.(Brussels)
My mother's nephew listened to the BBC radio and it seemed to me that there was only team that was mentioned: Man Utd. Somehow i became fond of them.
In a negative way: my father.
I'm less and less a football fan. I'm very critical for the teams i support. I think football is more about money and i don't like that a bit. It used to be a sport for the "broad masses", nowadays it's becoming a pass time for wealthy people.
- What do you do on matchdays? Nothing special...it's aday like any other.

- How does that make you feel? Can't say i really have bad moments and really good ones. I like football but i'm never euphoric or depressed by it. The last time i was euphoric was when Belgium went to the semi-finals of the 1986 WC. The day after their qualification i discovered that my girlfriend (at the time) had a relation with my best friend. Somehow i projected this on football which was stupid at the time but since then i became less a club fan and more a football fan.

7. Do you discuss football with friends, family, workmates? Yes
8. Do you read football magazines, books, newspapers, websites? Yes
9. Do you play football? Not any more due to an injury, but i miss it terribly

10. Is football a big part of your life? More or less.

11. Who are your greatest rivals? The Berlusconi's, Perez's and Abramoviches of this world who don't care about the sport but only about money.

12. Who are the worst/best fans? No idea.

13. How was your team’s performance last season? Satisfying.

14. What is your expectation for next season/this season? Pessimistic like always.

15. Is football more than 90 minutes? No

- Are you religious? I'm not religious at all. And football is not a religion at all.

I remember liking a Porto player called Kostadinov, i wanted to be like him lol.

2. How did you become a FC Porto Fan?
I was born a FC Porto fan , i don't know how i became it, i just am.

Maybe because i was born in the Porto city, and my family was related to the club.

Well i give major importance to the matches of my team, but i also see lots of other teams playing, i like to watch football, i usually see the major part of the matches that give on tv, sometimes i even watch amateur games just for the fun, i think it's a fun sport.

I usually dress up my Porto shirt, of season 02/03 wich was bought before the Mourinho "boom" on porto, it's like an amulet to me that shirt.

Some of my worst moments were last year, when Porto was playing awfully, and them team was really bad, i mean it was the worst year i saw of Porto. And yesterday it was very hard for me to see Porto lose against Artmedia after being winning 2-0, very young team, full of promising youth players, but sadly they are still too naive, but i think this team will bring me some great moments. The best moments for me were seeing Porto conquest the UEFA Cup in 02/03, the Champions League in 03/04 and the Intercontinental Cup, and at national level, the 5 consecutive championships they won, the "Penta".

Yeah i discuss football with every people i know that like it, even if they are from a rival team, i like to talk about it.

I usually read newspaper "O Jogo"

9. Do you play football?
Only for fun, i'm not very skilled.

Yes

Benfica and Sporting.

The worst are the ones that become violent, and bring violence to stadiums, or any place where they are watching football. The best are the ones that enjoy the game in a peacefully manner and stand by their team in bad times.

Very bad, we played awfully.

Good, i think we're gonna win at national level, at the CL we had a bad start, but last year we managed to pass very hardly too, so i'm still confident

Not sure what you mean, but no.
I think sometimes it kinda looks like that, with all the belief that sometimes people put on their team, but i don't think it's like a real religion, but it's not that far.

- Are you religious?
Not very much.

England losinng on penalties in Italia 90, and me not really understanding why all the men in the house were so upset (was only 7).

2. How did you become an Arsenal Fan?

My uncle is originally from Islington and would tell me stories as a kid. They were the first team I went to see live (vs Chelsea in 1994).

My uncle and my best mate & his dad.

Realistic, optimistic, mildly biased. I love the game first before any team. I only see a handful of games in the flesh, so in all honesty I'm pretty much an armchair fan.

Get down about an hour before the match, chant and shout like a loon for 90 minutes, have a pint and comiserate/celebrate, go home.

See above.

Best =
Cup winners cup in '94
Doing the double in '98
Winning the league at Old Trafford
Winning the league at White Hart Lane

Worst=
Losing FA cup final to Liverpool
Being spanked 6-1 by Man Yoo on my birthday
Every year in the Champions League

Euphoric/Gutted for about an hour, then back to normal. Then euphoric/gutted for a bit the next morning, then back to normal.

Everyday.

All of the above.

9. Do you play football?

I used to play a lot at uni but not very much since I maved back down south.

It's certainly a part of it. Always provides something to talk about, but I don't let it really affect my mood either way. It's pure escapism, but i love it.

Man Yoo & Chel$ki. Once upon a time the Spuds but thats just pantomime these days.

A lot of Arsenal fans are moody, wingy f*ckers who are never satisfied. It really annoys me.

Some of the best fans are Portsmouth fans. They're so bitter vs Southampton but they sang their team on even when we spanked them 5-1 in the cup.

I hate Millwall fans. Racist, violent, scummy people.

Not bad, but unfortunately paled in comparison to dominant opposition.

Hopefully 2nd in the league, hopefully one of the domestic cups and hopefully past the 1/4 finals of the CL.

Nah. I love it and can chat about it for hours but it's a game at the end of the day. When it becomes a serious part of your life you need to ask yourself questions about variety in your lifestyle.

Well, it could be seen that way in as far millions pay homage to it evey weekend. However, a religion is instructions on how to live. Football is just distraction and entertainment which inspires an emotional response, even dependence.

- Are you religious?

I'm Agnostic, so in some way yes.

1977 FA & European cup finals, was gutted after losing the cup final against united but the final in rome more than made up for it

2. How did you become a Liverpool Fan?

no choice really, my dad had been going since the late fifties, took me to my first game in 1980 when i was 9

my dad

old fashioned, i'm not a big fan of the game at the moment as it's all about money and hype, i've always been passionate about liverpool but get pissed off at games when i'm surrounded by people who are more interested in phoning/texting mates and taking photo's than actually supporting the team

few beers before the game, usually in the albert or flat iron, normally go in about 30 minutes before kick off depending on who were playing and where i'm sitting

i've seen 6 league titles and 4 fa cup final victories as well as a couple of league cups and the uefa cup in 2001 but without doubt the best has to be istanbul, i was 14 the day after heysel so after the ban and liverpool's demise i never thought i'd see us lift the european cup, i couldn't really afford to go but got enough money together for a cheap flight to dalaman and had to endure a 800km bus journey just to get to istanbul and then back to dalaman to get my flight home, i spent my 34th birthday alone in dalaman airport and finally got home 6 days after the final but it was all worth it

worst has to be heysel and hillsborough, i only saw heysel on tv but was at hillsborough, both events put all the hype and bollocks that surround the game now into perspective, nobody should lose their life at a football match

not really apart from match days, my dad died a few years ago but we used to talk about it all the time, my girlfriend's not all that interested in it and my son is only 4 but i plan on starting to take him in a few years when he's old enough to appreciate it so i suppose we'll always be talking football like me and my old man, don't bother too much at work, most of the lads i work with just seem to spout whatever shite is in the papers or on sky instead of having original opinions of their own

i try not to read the papers and don't bother with magazines, i'm currently reading Golden Past Red Future by Paul Tomkins which was written over the course of last season all the way up to Istanbul

9. Do you play football?

not any more, used to play sunday league when i was younger but i've always struggled with fitness (too much lager ;) ) so hung my boots up at 25

yeah

Everton

i don't really like a lot of modern fans who've attached themselves to the premiership just because it's fashionable, also don't like idiots who go to cause trouble/racism

best fans, well obviously liverpool's when we make the effort but having said that all too often the atmosphere is poor at anfield due to day trippers/hangers on, i've always enjoyed watching some of the displays put on by fans on the continent/south america, i guess i just like supporters who are original and show passion for their club instead of just sitting there taking photo's and politly clapping

poor and great, all too often we let teams walk all over us in the league but then we'd go and play really well in europe when nobody gave us a chance

i'm realistic enough not to expect too much, so far i think we're looking solid and difficult to beat and i can't see many teams outside the top 3 beating us but i don't think we'll win enough games to challenge for the title, i do think though that in another 2 years or so we'll be playing the sort of football that rafa's valencia side tore us to shreds with in the cl a few years ago

no, unless your playing at old trafford then it's however long fergie wants ;)

- Are you religious?

i'm not religious and don't treat football as a religion

Paul Gascoigne scoring against Scotland in Euro 96.

Man United fan. They're local..ish. An hour or so away. Glory hunting I suppose you'd call it. Probably started supporting them because all my mates were when I was about 7.

Dunno. It's just the culture in England.

Knowledgable I'd like to think. Use my common sense rather than make ridiculous statements which I have no authority to make.

Usually watch the games on telly if it's on. Rarely go to games because I'm a dirty glory hunter and ticket prices are fucking ridiculous.

Best moment- United's Treble win. Can't explain it. Still can't believe it happened. Best thing that's happened in my life so far, sad but I don't care. "...and Solskjaer has won it!" gives me goosebumps everytime I hear it.

Worst moments- Whenever we've got beat by Liverpool. Getting knocked out of the CL by Porto last year was a hard one.

Friends mostly. I talk to my Dad about it but he just talks shit. I have the best football related conversations on the Internet, not on this forum though you morons.

I read the newspapers but take no notice of any of it. Websites I read. Football365 is very good. Humour + Football = ratings.

9. Do you play football?
I'll have a kick about with mates now and again.

Man United are.

Liverpool.

Every club has good and bad fans, it's unfair to choose any but there's nothing worse in this world than a gloating scouser.

Rubbish, next.

I really don't know. I'm through with predicting things in football, ever since I said Eric Djemba Djemba would be a great player.

Football is the meaning of life, fucking seriously.

- Are you religious?
Again, football is the meaning of life for me.

Italia 1990, Andreas Brehme scoring the penalty to win the WC vs Argentina.

2. How did you become a Hamburger SV Fan?
My father has often taken me to the stadium, we watched a lot of football on TV as well, plus it's the team of the city I was born in and where I live.

My dad.

Not one who always has his clubs hat on unlike some others here...

I mostly watch the games on TV, sometimes I go to the stadium.

Best moments must be Germany winning the WC 1990 and the EC 1996, also seeing HSV playing in the CL in 2000 with that awesome 4-4 match vs Juventus. I also count in HSV's last victory over FC Bayern München from last saturday where I was in the Arena. First win over Bayern after nine years.
Bad: Germany losing the EC 1992 final vs Denmark.

Yes.

Barely.

9. Do you play football?
Now I play once a week or so with mates in the park, but I used to play in various clubs from the age of 6 until 17.

Definitely.

FC St. Pauli/FC Bayern München/SV Werder Bremen.

Worst: Racist and violent 'fans'.
Best: no idea.

13. How was your team's performance last season?
We started pretty bad (like usually), been last of the table at match day nine or so, coach has been sacked, then Thomas Doll came and got us out of relegation zone and even reached the UEFA Cup.

I hope HSV will finally have a word again about the championship and does well in the UEFA cup. Next Season I would be happy to see them play in the CL and of course looking forward to the WC in my country.

No.

- Are you religious?
I think that's nonsense and no, I am not religious.

Mark Walters crossing it in for Mark Hateley to head in his first ever Rangers goal vs Aberdeen.

2. How did you become a Rangers Fan?
The area I was brought up in, the people around me. When I was 4, before I moved to the house I'm in now, I had no interest in football. I was more interested in racing cars. When I moved here and made new friends, I quickly became influenced by them.

My friends and family.

Die Hard. I always have my clubs hat on. ;) Seriously though, I'd follow Rangers to hell and back. It's the bad times that make the good times so good.

As a season ticket holder, home games on Saturday's are brilliant. It's on the train to meet a mate then up to the city we go. Enter the Rangers pub for a few pre-match beers then head to the stadium then give it laldy. European night are great. The atmosphere is immense inside Ibrox on Euro nights.

Best: Rangers vs Parma in 1999 sticks out. Being in the stadium and seeing Rangers beat them 2-0. That was certainly one of the best atmospheres I have ever experienced... even better than vs Celtic.
Also, May 22nd 2005 was something special too.
And probably the CL run in season 92/93.
Worst: Watching Mark Walters have bananas thrown at him by Celtic fans.

Of course.

Newspapers and websites, yes.

9. Do you play football?
Yes. I play 5-a-sides regularly a few times a week.

Yes. There would be a large hole to fill if there was no football.

Celtic FC, Aberdeen FC

Worst: England fans
Best: Scotland fans

The behaviour of Englands fans in recent years has been appalling.

We won the league in dramatic fashion. Sitting 2pts clear at the top of the table but with an inferior goal difference, Celtic needed to go to Motherwell and win to seal the league trophy. With Rangers winning 1-0 at Hibernian, a result that suited both sides, the game had turned in to a farsical passing match. In the 88th minute over at Fir Park, Scott McDonald scored an incredible equaliser for Motherwell. Celtic, dejected, push everyone forward to grab a winner. It backfired and McDonald went on to score a winner in the 91st minute, handing the league title to Rangers.

This season has gotten off to a bad start. We're currently 5th, 11pts behind surprise league leaders Hearts and 6pts behind 2nd place Celtic. The Champions League has gone well though. A 3-2 win over Porto and an expected loss to Inter. However, results in other games means that 4pts from the 2 games against Artmedia should be enough to see Rangers past the group stage for the first time ever.
Next season I'll be hoping for a massive improvement. The days of Rangers and Celtic dominating the SPL seem to have gone.

Yes. If there is extra time. And the end of the day it's a game... but it's a bloody good one and it's hard not to get so involved.

- Are you religious?

Football as a religion is preposterous. I don't think you could worship a game. I'm not religious despite this part of Scotland and the Old Firm being heavily influenced by people's religious background.

Hmmm... my first memory was when I has 6 years old. I went to old José Alvalade (old Sporting stadium) to see Sporting x Benfica and Benfica had lost for 1 - 0. :(

2. How did you become a Benfica Fan?
That's in blood of my family to be a Benfica fan. only my systers are Sporting (Lisbon) fans, but also I love Barcelona too, because my grandfather is spanish and is fannatic for Barça and likes' a bit of Depor.

My father, and some Benfica players, but my father always talked to me about Eusébio and Benfica, Eusébio shows and goals.

Casual, I'm like english supporter, because I love that kind of support. I dislike a bit Italian Ultra.

I'm not a fool like others! I'm always singing and supporting for my club!

Best moments? Hmmm... when Benfica was champion in 93/94 I was 6 years old and my father toke me to the stadium.
Worst moments? Maybe when FC Porto was five times portuguese champion with help of the refeeres, (Now I'll see FC Porto in the jail ahah) and when Benfica lost years ago for UEFA Cup with Celta Vigo for 7 - 0.

Yes... there's always something to discuss... :p

Yes...

9. Do you play football?
I had played football since 6 years old to 16, now I play futsal and I like it. But I have pitty to not play football and became a prossifional player, it was always my dream.

Yes it is, of course.

FC Porto, Sporting CP (Lisbon).

Worst? FC Porto fans, because they thing they are bad but when they mess with us, we beat'em.
Best fans? Maybe the english fans. ;)

How was your team’s performance last season?
We started very well winning the first 4 games, but we had very injured players like Simão, Miguel, Manuel Fernandes and we lose some points, but Trappatoni did make the right choice and we had been champions with a great lucky, was a great season.

What is your expectation for next season/this season?
Maybe do a great campaign in UEFA CL.

Is football more than 90 minutes?
No.

What do you think of football being called a new religion?
- Are you religious?

If I'm religious? A bit, but football is more a fannatism than religion. He's more than a love.

Last edited:

Being brought the yellow Arsenal away kit for my birthday in 1991.

2. How did you become an Arsenal Fan?

It was a family thing.

My Dad

Passionate fan who goes to as many games as his finances and ability to get tickets lets him.

If i'm going to the game i'll go to the cafe for something to eat and then go in the pub until about 15 mins before kick off.

If i'm watching at home i'll usually put the telly on 15 mins before the game to find out the teams and get my beer and snacks sorted.

My best moments come whenever England or Arsenal win and that can give me a real buzz. When Dennis Bergkamp scored the last minute winner against Thun the other night I got such a buzz I couldn't get to sleep.

My worst moments were losing to Chelsea in the Champions League quarters a few years ago and when France beat England at Euro 2004 with those 2 last minute goals. After moments like that I get the hump and go home to sulk!

All the time.

I read football websites on a regular basis during the day.

9. Do you play football?

Yes on Saturdays.

A very big part.

Used to be Spurs but now Chavski and MANUSA

Worst fans are probably Chelsea now due to their arrogance but West Ham run them close with their dillusional fans.

Best fans are probably Portsmouth.

They played well won a trophy and Chelsea raising the bar was the only reason that we didn't do the double.

I'd like us to progress to at least the Semi's of the champions league and try to push the title race to the end of the season no matter how big the gap gets.

Yes sometimes there is extra time ;)

- Are you religious?

I feel that is a bit of a strong term I would class it as a passion to a religion. I am not a religious person

Last edited:
QPR vs. United on Tv - United won 4-0...i think it was in the cup, the first time i remember watching it - it was just on TV.

Blue runs through the family, got my first strip when i was 5 and started watching games with my Dad and Uncle.

Family, everyone watches it and follows City religiously.

I'd say Die-hard if i had the money to watch them everyweek, which i don't - so it'd be unfair to say that. I do watch them whenever i have money though and have been seasonticket holder when they were in prem relagated to div.1, then div.2 and the way back up - cept this season...too expensive :( I always have the shirts on though and even go to every reserve game.

Catch a bus to Manchester...walk to the ground, get a copy of the programme, buy a coffee and take my seat. I don't drink so i don't go to the pubs around beforehand. I'm surrounded my season ticket holders normally near the away section so it's great banter with the singing and stuff! love it.

Best: Last Manchester derby at Maine Road, where we won 3-1 or watchin the City 4-1 DRUBBING! of Man United.
Worst: Keano ending Alf-Inge Haaland's career :(

- Yup, we all follow it to some degree, except my girlfriend she has no clue :)

- I buy four four two occasionally and sometimes read the city fanzines. Manchesteronline.net gives me everything i really need to know though.

9. Do you play football?
- 5-a-side at Soccer Dome every sunday and i'm looking for an 11 a side team at the moment also.

Takes up atleast 2/3 evenings a week, and you can't forget the regular Pro-evo 'Seshes'

- Man United

- I like the Portsmouth fans when they visit City, they're fun. The Everton fans too at Goodison can be very intimidating. The atmosphere at City isn't the same at the new stadium, it will be though in time.

- Just missed out on the last European place with a missed last minute penalty. Though looking at it, we don't have the squad depth to have coped with Europe this season.

- Europe hopefully and a decent run in the FA Cup.

Normally for City yeh, cos we're shit in Cups so we never play more than 90 mins.....except against Doncaster :( Though i suppose it is, it's a day out in most respects.

- It's not a religion, just a passion.

Gazza scoring that goal against Scotland in Euro 96.

My family werent really fans of football cuz they prefered other sports so I always felt kinda left out. But my Uncle was a big football and Man Utd fan he'd be the only one to take me to games and watch them along with me. So its because of him that I'm a fan of Man Utd.

My Uncle.

I'm a crazy fanatic. Football seems to be the only thing that touches all your emotions and is usually the only thing that can cheer me up after a bad day.

I scream like a mad man. Especially in the last few seasons where we've missed goals and hit the bar more times than anyone.

Any time we didnt play as well as we could is a worse moment for me. If there was nothing the team could have done then I can accept that but if I knew the players could have done better, then it pisses me off.
Our CL win has to be high up there as one of my best moments. I can still hear the commentator screaming "...AND SOLSKJAER HAS DONE IT!"
But I'm not a biased fan. I really enjoyed Liverpool's win over Olympiakos and AC Milan.
I just love the moments like those that give me goosebumps

All the time. Its sometimes how I start to get to know people more, through conversations about football.

Yeah, all of them.

9. Do you play football?
Not as much as I used to. I used to play a lot before but my life is usually busy and hard to fit football (playing) into.

Well anyone who got this far into the survey has to say yes.

Arsenal and Liverpool. The games against them seem to be about more than the 3 points or progressing past them in the cup. And that makes it feel extra special. A game against Chelsea is just considered an important game because it gives you a 3 point advantage over them. Its nothing personal.

Not sure what you mean. If you want a definition, its the fans that cheer their team on when 4-0 down that I like.
If you want to know which team has the best set of fans then its hard to say but I think Man Utd have one of the best set of fans. Cuz we show a lot of respect for the great players. An example of this is when Poborski was sent off against us last year in the CL and everyone at Old Trafford gave him a standing ovation. Or when Ronaldo scored the hatrick for Real Madrid against us in the CL a few years back. And when he was subbed, all the Man Utd fans gave him a huge ovation. Even Ronaldo himself was shocked with the response.

I cant say I was disappointed with the team cuz our full team werent even playing together for most of the season. I was more pissed off with what happened than the performance.

Just want them to get their act together and make a serious buy in the transfer window.

In some cases yes. The mind games, the food fights and the battles in the tunnel have a huge effect on the game itself so yeah, its about more than the 90 mins on the pitch.

That doesnt make sense to me. A religion is something you worship or believe in. I think some people are confused here cuz what people have with football is love.
- Are you religious?
Not really.

Back
Top Bottom