What laptop to buy

fedagent

League 2
29 March 2003
London
there's so much out there its overwhelming! i've got my eye on this
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=101770
but i havent heard of Acer before. anyone heard of them?? would you recommend them?

basically i have a budget of £600 and this is gonna have to last me for the next 3/4 years through uni. my course doesnt involve any computer graphics design or anything so doesnt need to be too powerful. just something light, small-ish (14/15 inch screen), wireless ready etc.
help please???

Acer are a superb company mate, they do cheap products that are quality in every way. I have a HDTV and a laptop of theirs (that I bought about 3 weeks ago) and both have been perfect.

This is the laptop I got:

http://www.savastore.com/productinfo/product.aspx?catalog_name=Savastore&product_id=10282397&pid=5&rstrat=3180

It does everything you want it to do and them some. It plays games well too, including Call of Duty 2 and the Half Life: Source games smoothly on medium graphics.

You get a great deal for the price. A PCI-Express card (ATI X700), 1.8ghz Processor and a nice 80GB HD.

Highly recommended

Depends really what you want to use it for. What do you do at uni, if its nothing to do with PCs like law/medicine etc, then all you need it for is Word Processing and Internet browsing. But you may also want to play games, personally I don't really play PC games apart from Footy Manager. And will you need it for lectures, or use without connecting to mains.

If its non gaming, I would get a cheap GFX card, and go for higher RAM. And maybe a Core Duo, but I don't think that will be in your budget. Also will you need the software in that budget, like Office?

I've got a Dell myself who seems to be doing a lot of great deals.

People do seem to dismiss them cos they have a lot of customizations on the OS but I just uninstalled all of them. I've had no problems so far (touch wood), its quiet and it appeared on several episodes of 24 :mrgreen:

Having said that, I don't use my laptop for games - the specs I have aren't very good for the latest games

i'll be doing Business IT. software aint a problem if you know what i mean ;)
my friend does the course now and he tells me that his 4 yr old laptop is still serving him fine. As for playin games, i mainly play console games tbh so the laptop doesnt need a good gfx card.

i'm still leaning towards that Acer that i pointed out on ebuyer. anyone think its a bad idea?

Last edited:
This company here do excellent prices and you can literally build your own. I'm going to get a new tower from them soon and with all the stuff I want the price is unbelievable. Although there laptop section is not working at the moment, I would wait if you can cos you'll be able to build a better one for under £600 ;)

Just my advice mate, hope it helps.....it's even fun just building loads of pcs and seeing how much there are lol. :)

I currently have an Asus W2V and is simply awesome but way out of your budget. I do recomend almost any Asus laptop though...very solid machines in all aspects.

Ended up getting a Dell laptop - Inspiron 630m
nice laptop and dell's customer service is pretty good.

got a question, whats the difference between hibernation, shutdown and stand by? i usually shutdown my pc but yesterday i tried hibernation. it quickly and i mean quick, turned off the laptop and when i rebooted everything was in the same position it was in before i hibernated it.
Would it be possible to always hibernate seeing as shutting down takes much longer?
are there any disadvantages to this?

What's the difference between Standby and Hibernate? Standby, if available, puts your computer into a low-power-consumption mode, but makes it available almost instantly. Standby doesn't save settings or memory, so if the computer loses power during Standby, these are lost. Hibernate, if available, saves all information and shuts down the computer. When the computer comes back on, however, the Desktop is restored to where it was before shutdown. Remember, shutting down using Standby or Hibernate isn't the same as shutting the computer off -- in Standby and Hibernate modes, the computer is still on. Win 9x users should know that the kernel instability in their systems requires a complete shutdown and restart at least once a week, if not more often.

Here you are. When you shut down, it doesnt waste any energy.

Back
Top Bottom