who is the true soccer god?

We have forum sections for a reason, please try to post threads in the relevant section in future. ;)

Moved to Football discussion. :thumbup:

boca is my religion, maradona is my god, bombonera is my church!

these words are enough i think.

maradona is still no.1 by far!

Pele was surrounded by stars when he won the world cup. In addition, no one can argue the fact that in Pele's day, the marking was very loose. Once Maradona started playing, for example in his first world cup, they stared marking much much tighter, fouling the player, dirty play etc. Maradona still persevered and scored tons. At Napoli he was surrounded by average players if even that, and still won Serie A twice. Pele was never as much of a God in club as he was at world cup but Maradona shone in 1986 world cup but also at every club he played, maybe Barca was a dark age as it was where his addiction etc began but he still was greater than Pele by a long shot.

Yeha but really man it's true, watch some of Pele's games, they didn't mark nearly as hard or foul as much as when Maradona played. Anyone denying that is stupid.

maybe you should make it an open question rather than saying just two players.

Imo besides the two mentioned players like Baresi, Van Basten, Weah, Maldini and Cantona should be considered ;)

although hutch maybe on to something by mentioning O'Shea...

200_pesos said:
Pele was surrounded by stars when he won the world cup. In addition, no one can argue the fact that in Pele's day, the marking was very loose. Once Maradona started playing, for example in his first world cup, they stared marking much much tighter, fouling the player, dirty play etc. Maradona still persevered and scored tons. At Napoli he was surrounded by average players if even that, and still won Serie A twice. Pele was never as much of a God in club as he was at world cup but Maradona shone in 1986 world cup but also at every club he played, maybe Barca was a dark age as it was where his addiction etc began but he still was greater than Pele by a long shot.
Oh, man, the guy thinks that fouling the player and dirty play has begun in Maradona´s days!

And he says that Pelé wasnt a god in his club. If he dont know the Pelé´s Santos, I cant argue with him.

AND he thinks Pelé is Pelé because he played well 3 World Cups.

Now I know why Argentinians think that Maradona is better...

I'm Colombian :p and I never said they didn't foul at all in Pele's day but it can't be argued that Maradona's days had the same amount of aggression, it was much much rougher.

Yeah the same way now the aggression is much much tougher than when Maradonna played and the marking is much tighter and teams play with more defenders/DM's as well so I know what he's saying of course I don't agree Maradonna was better.. I won't judge since I never saw both regularly myeslf but only ever heard about how great they were and saw videos/highlights and etc.

when they show Pele clips in England on TV, they always show
1. bank's save
2. the halfway line miss
3. the pass to Jairzinho
4. where he goes around the goalie and misses.

They don't show him scoring.

For me, it's definately Maradona No. 1

Maradona.

Pele made better use of his talent tho IMO, ie didn't get sucked in by the trappings of a superstar footballer's life.

marukomu said:
when they show Pele clips in England on TV, they always show
1. bank's save
2. the halfway line miss
3. the pass to Jairzinho
4. where he goes around the goalie and misses.

They don't show him scoring.

For me, it's definately Maradona No. 1

This has to be a joke?????

My all-time top 10

1,2, 3 and 4: Pele

5 Maradonna
6 Cruijff
7 Di Stefano
8 Garrincha
9 Best
10 Zidane

Maradona and Pele were both fenomenal players but, Pele was the the greatest, thats for sure. He was true athlete, he played great with both legs , great head, great shot, great passing, FK, just everything, he didnt have a weakness. He could play on any position on the field. He played as defender or even goalkeeper(2-3 games I think ) for FC Santos.
He was the best.

The best player was Maradona and NOT Pele like Fifa says. Fifa kisses Pelé's ass! But the true ultimate soccergod is none other than Johan Cruijff! I'lle tell you why. Maradona is no leader. Cruijff was a leader on the field. Cruijff was not only a true super football player but he has the capability to coach as well. Pele or Maradona NEVER would become a trainer they just lack the IQ of being a manager. They don't know nothing of football actually but they had this great technic in their times to pass several man. But Cruijff has BOTH. Cruijff was a LEGENDARY player AND coach/manager/trainer. Besides that he ALSO has an own Cruyff foundation. This man is really a great man because he just don't lay back and entertain themselves with their money like Pele and Maradona. He fights also for the poor as well. This man is a true soccer god!

Amsterdammer said:
The best player was Maradona and NOT Pele like Fifa says. Fifa kisses Pelé's ass! But the true ultimate soccergod is none other than Johan Cruijff! I'lle tell you why. Maradona is no leader. Cruijff was a leader on the field. Cruijff was not only a true super football player but he has the capability to coach as well. Pele or Maradona NEVER would become a trainer they just lack the IQ of being a manager. They don't know nothing of football actually but they had this great technic in their times to pass several man. But Cruijff has BOTH. Cruijff was a LEGENDARY player AND coach/manager/trainer. Besides that he ALSO has an own Cruyff foundation. This man is really a great man because he just don't lay back and entertain themselves with their money like Pele and Maradona. He fights also for the poor as well. This man is a true soccer god!
Of course he is. You're absolutely right. You've changed my mind & everyone else's I'm sure.

PLF is the One and Only ; and his son : the Messiah ThomasGoal !!!

Maradona was god of handball isn't he ?
real gods have a better behavior !

Maradona for sure. He had his weaknesses but that simply adds to his legend. They say he took drugs and destroyed his career. So what? If he snorted 10 ounces of coke and managed to do what he did on the pitch, it is a testament to his greatness. Furthermore, it proves that he could have been even better without all the distractions he was burdened with in his life. If you ask anyone who they think came closest to single-handedly winning the World Cup, they will say Maradona. Who was his supporting cast? Good players definitely but not as many as Pele had. Napoli? who played there? Santos was a powerhouse in Pele's day, Napoli were at best 4th best, yet what happened?
Im sick of people who try to use judgement of character do decide a players gratness. I dont care if he was a racist (and Im black). Even if he killed my father (and I love my father dearly), that will not diminish his footballing greatness in my eyes, I'll kill him though, well only after I get his autograph.
Like someone said Pele had it all: strength, speed, a powerful shot, could jump high, could head well......................
But until the next time you see a fat, chubby dwarf, with a ruffled afro, beer belly, coke intoxicated, cant-jump, 5 defenders on my ass like the DEA who can dance like a ballerina and carry a team of better equipped athletes on his shoulders, ...............fugedaboutit.

Back
Top Bottom