Why can't I change formation role??

cigol

League 1
14 August 2003
I want to play Figo as a right midfielder but it will only let me select OMF, CMF and DMF. That doesn't make any sense? Same goes for other midfield selections, I sometimes have trouble setting my sidebacks as Wingbacks as well.

This is fustrating, can someone explain the deal here?

If you have a WB position allocated, you cannot set a SMF or SB position on that side - a WB is a mix of the two positions, no team plays with a WB and SMF/SB. Same goes if you have a SMF or a SB, you can't set a WB.

Hmm, tactically it might make sense not to, but that is very limiting because in many instances it actually is employed in reality. Solari and Roberto Carlos for example, Salgado and Figo, Zidane and Carlos (though more of a roaming role for Zidane). I'm sure someone could list more examples, some perhaps better.

I don't understand why they would force us to comply with their theories.

No, Salgado is a RB who can also attack, he doesn't play as a RWB, not to mention Figo played more as a RWG or OMF than RMF. Solari didn't play strictly as a LMF when Carlos played LWB, same goes for Zidane. Perhaps that's all down to personal opinion.

cigol is right. It´s a football tactical error by konami... WB is not a midfilier... WB is an attacking Side defender that attacks all along the wing and defends it too. Their atittude on the field in WE 9 is very good.. they attack and they defend properly along the wing but they are midfiliers and that´s tottaly wrong. WingerBlock is a defender, not a midfilier and right/left side block just doesn´t exist. It´s incorrect english football word. Even on the field, their behaviour is awful. They go many times to the centre defend near the CB, leaving the opossite WF alone on the wing. They attack if you put them an attacking arrow ->, but they don´t quicily go back to the defense to cover opossite WF. They go very slowly to their defensive position, and many times they just stop at the midfield, allowing once again very much space to the opossite WF.

WB properly covers opposite WF and they quickly attack on the side; I have even played with 2 CB and 2 WB (I put Diogo & Roberto Carlos back the much as possible in the green zone, almost touching on the blue zone if you know what I mean; almost back as the SB original position) with gravesen in front of the 2 CB with an arrow back <-. WB behaviour is awesome and we have to grat konami for that. I always wanted WB in the game as I really love to attack with my side defensive players as in real football (Paulo Ferreira, R Carlos, Diogo, Miguel, Zanetti,etc). The problem was that SideBlockers always had awful movements on the pitch and always allowed easy opposite attacks from the wings when they use 4 3 3 formation for example, and other stupid situations as I described here.

The question is that I like to play WE series with much reality as possible and there is no reality in playing with a 2 defenders formation and without Side Midfiliers... as you can´t assign a SMF when you have WB (so lamme! :mrgreen: ). So I don´t want to play with a formation that the game recognizes as 2-5-1-2 (RWB,CB,CB,LWB,DMF,CMF,CMF,OMF,ST,CF). Very lamme indeed but good work with the WB behaviour konami :mrgreen:

ClassicD said:
No, Salgado is a RB who can also attack, he doesn't play as a RWB, not to mention Figo played more as a RWG or OMF than RMF. Solari didn't play strictly as a LMF when Carlos played LWB, same goes for Zidane. Perhaps that's all down to personal opinion.
This isn't true, especially when it was a 'partnership' of Beckham and Salgado. Just because Salgado is a more effective defender than Carlos doesn't mean he's any less of a wingback - he essentially had to take over Figos old role in order to facilitate the lack of ability for Beckham to run the wings on the right - and he did just that.

Zidane has a free role within the team but he plays a lot on the left wing as his little party tricks with Carlos shows, as I said he wasn't strictly a left sided player in the same way Solari and Figo were on their respective wings - but it does show up Konamis lack of foresight on the issue,

cigol said:
This isn't true, especially when it was a 'partnership' of Beckham and Salgado. Just because Salgado is a more effective defender than Carlos doesn't mean he's any less of a wingback - he essentially had to take over Figos old role in order to facilitate the lack of ability for Beckham to run the wings on the right - and he did just that.

Zidane has a free role within the team but he plays a lot on the left wing as his little party tricks with Carlos shows, as I said he wasn't strictly a left sided player in the same way Solari and Figo were on their respective wings - but it does show up Konamis lack of foresight on the issue,
Salgado had to do more on the right because Beckham played more centrally, so Madrid weren't playing with a RMF at this time and thus having a RWB made sense.

Zidane floats to the left, so does Thierry Henry and he's a forward.

As I said, this is all down to personal opinion ;).

Back
Top Bottom