Wimbledon

lol

Actually popped by earlier today to catch a few games with a few mates. Wasn't lucky/rich enough to get seats in Centre Court to watch the demolishing of Henman however :(. Enjoyed a good match between Ljubicic and Lopez though :D

Is that Henman Hill officially Rusedski Ridge now. What about Murray Mountain. ;)

I loved the promotion film before the match between Henman and Federer started. "A great match, two great rivals, great expectations". I love the BBC.

joostebrood said:
I loved the promotion film before the match between Henman and Federer started. "A great match, two great rivals, great expectations". I love the BBC.

You missed out two great friends . :P

Ah you're right. As if anyone who knows even a little about tennis expected this to be a close match.
Tactically speaking, Henman didn't play very intelligent. Why did he think he was going to have a chance playing from the baseline?

joostebrood said:
Tactically speaking, Henman didn't play very intelligent. Why did he think he was going to have a chance playing?

I fixed it for you. 8)

Thanks Dar, you are a true friend. I'll tell you something else. I'm in Dublin this summer, we could drink a beer then. Or maybe you can give me some advice about where to go. I'm coming with 2 friends of mine.

Joost, you and your friends have to go to this bar called The George when you are in Dublin. trust me you will have the best night of yoiur life in there. Try to go on a Saturday night, it's amazing. Or GUBU on Capel Street is pretty good if you guys can't get into The George. But I'd say they will let you in no problem.

Last edited:
I wonder if there's even 1 person here who actually knows about tennis, but I'll try anyway.
I was reading a story in the newspaper about the 2 semi-finals of the World Cup. The writer talked about how those two matches were examples of modern day football and how football had developed the past few years. I was thinking about how that's a bit over the top in my view. Football has been like this for years and this tournament didn't show me anything new on the pitch. I even think there's not much more to do than what teams are doing now.

Tennis on the other hand, has developed in spectacular fashion the past few years. I remember through history up until the late 90's serve & volley players dominated on the grass courts of Wimbledon. Just look at some of the winners: Sampras, Krajicek, Ivanisevic, Becker, Edberg. Also players like Rafter, Henman and Rusedski were always candidates. Those players don't stand a chance these days. The baseline game has become so effective on every surface. Also the clay courts aren't dominated by your typical claycourt player. Nadal is an example of how a modern day player is like. He hardly hits unforced errors, plays a great tactical game and also very important, is very fit.

So the question is, how come tennis has so much more room for improvement while with football you feel things won't change that much anymore? They're both very old sports, so it doesn't have to do with that. This can also be considered for other sports. I'm hoping for some intelligent discussion.

joostebrood said:
Also players like Rafter, Henman and Rusedski were always candidates.

:lmao: :lol:

That is a tough question to answer, and I do agree with you. We see Roger Federer on grass today, no one can beat him, just like Maradona in his prime. Why? Because in UK the government doesn't care much about sports to improve England's chances in sports, look at USA, they have scolarships for uni/college etc.

I know you laugh when I mention Henman, but fact is that he reached the semi's several times. My point was that he used to be a typical serve and volley player. He's even changed his game nowadays, but since he's less than average from the baseline, he's barely a top 100 player now.
I didn't ask you this from a British point of view, but more in general. I know England (like Holland, where I'm from) doesn't invest too much in good tennis players. It's more about the game and how it has evolved over the past years. You also see this in women's tennis.
You are absolutely right about Federer though, he really sets the standard and it could be that young players and coaches nowadays make him an example of how good you should be.

I can't believe it ! Ndal in Wimbledon final :shock:

I think first time the finalists of Wimbledom are the same of Roland Garros lol

Joost - We also have to keep in mind the new volley and serve players coming up through the ranks, a new breed of tennis player. They start off volleying before the service to confuse the opponent. Its quite amazing.

Anyways, everything evolves Joost, especially in the world of sports, of course soccer has changed, in terms of equipment alone it has completely changed the face of the game and the player. I think what the commentators may have been focusing on was the actions and reactions of a modern day player versus a player 30 years ago. A player then would need to have his leg broken in order for him to go to ground but now some of the modern players should be up for an Oscar at next years Academy awards. The fitness levels are much higher and tactically they are more aware. They get paid more, they have bigger egos. Players now are different to how they were and the game is played differently.

Doesn't it seem like the furthest possible time away from Wimbledon? Maybe Wimbledon is the diamtric opposite of Christmas?

So who's going to win the men's singles in 2009?

And which russian player will play which williams sister in each of the women's semis?

I will be on holiday for Wimbledon so get to watch it in the sun :COOL:. Have done for the past 2 years. Shame I never have a Brit to cheer on with a hope of winning! :LOL: Though saying that Murray seems to keep maturing quite well, I know it would be a shock if he won it, but maybe a shock is on the cards... Other than that I can't see anyone other than Federer, Nadal or Djokovic winning it.

Watching the Queens warm up tournament in HD (BBC HD & EuroSport HD), at re moment and it's nice to watch tennis on grass again :)). Ferrero, Roddick and Monfils all looking strong today.

I see Laura Robson has got a wildcard entry into the full Wimbledon Ladies tournament too!

Nadal is struggling with a knee injury and isn't sure whether he will be 100% fit for Wimbledon.

Last edited:
Nadal will be in Wimbledon. He confirmed in his website. Anyway, neither Nadal neither someone will stop the 15 Grand Slam title to Fedex.

All Nadal confirmed was that he will travel to London. He said if he's not 100% fit at the start of the tournament he won't play.

Back
Top Bottom