Winning Eleven 10 VS Pro Evolution Soccer 5 (which game do you like best?)

Which is better WE10 or PES5

• Pro Evolution Soccer 5

Votes: 37 20.2%
  • Winning Eleven 10

Votes: 146 79.8%

• Total voters
Teacher said:
Indeed, that is a big difference, WE10's gameplay feels more organic than the PES5 gameplay.

WE10 is absolutely not arcady btw, I don't understand why people think that. (Maybe because of the way the players are animated, maybe the players behave more like in, for instance, Sega's Virtua Striker ;). But certainly not arcady gameplaywise)

I think ppl take "arcadey" as the same as being easy (for some) or too attack oriented (for others).

Arcadey is something else. Although PES5 is not arcadey (as not many WEs I can remember of) it surely has more "arcade" specs all over it than WE10.

Wan't a couple examples?

1. the midfield freekick bug - the ability to score freekicks from a few meters after the middle, with the pass to the side -> shoot 3/4 with a striker with >90 shooting = 80% chance of goal.

2. the "i get the ball with my back to the oposing goal Then I twist diagonally and shoot -> 80% chance of passing the defender, 70% chance of scoring (or more).

Doesn't get much more "arcadey" than that.
About being easy.. I guess ppl are just playing the wrong oposition :).

Mauras said:
I think ppl take "arcadey" as the same as being easy (for some) or too attack oriented (for others). About being easy.. I guess ppl are just playing the wrong oposition :).

True, mate ;)

I don't think WE10 is easy at all. Furthermore, I don't think it is too attack oriented as well. I think the defending system is quite different from PES5; better in my opinion, more disciplined.

Your examples are very good. But in PES5 your examples happened too, especially with the 'intergalactic strikers' who scored out of nothing! I guess it's just the way how you approach the game. Do you want it to be a sim or an arcade game? That's the question. I think the balance between the two is better with WE10 than in PES5.

a better comparason would of been with the last game in the series - JLWE9 which i currently play most because of the better ballance of play it creates..I find it funny that every year peeps automatically think cos this is the lastest version that it must be the best, when in fact thats just not gonna happen. Some things getter better some dont and most stay the same, then its down to personal prefference..

Mauras, I never used the free-kick bug, indeed I didn't even know about it until I read on here. It's not logical to shoot from such a distance, so I never tried. There's a very simple solution - don't use it.

Don't quite understand your other example from PES5.

In WE10 if you get a player with any sort of attacking ability, all you do is run at the defender diagonally, changing direction 90° so that you're always running at an angle. You're pretty much guaranteed to beat that defender or create enough space for a shot. Which leads me onto shooting in WE10, it's strange. The game is almost too responsive, and the opportunity to use :r2: shooting is limited because the game gets the shot off too quickly. It doesn't feel as controllable either, a lot of shots don't seem to go where I've pressed the direction for them, it feels quite random at times. And get a striker with decent power near the goal and the GKs have little chance - get Adriano anywhere near the goal and they have no chance.

You can interrupt animations mid-stream as well. In previous versions, you had to wait till your animation for an executed command had finished before you could carry out another command, not in WE10. You can have your player fire off a pass before he's completed the animation to turn properly. It feels too responsive, it's very esay to ping-pong passes all over the place because of this.

The collision detection in WE10 is also dubious. Sometimes you'll get your defender into the correct position, time the tackle correctly, and the opponent will just bustle his way through the challenge.

And the game-speed alone is enough to make it more 'arcadey' than PES5, it's how real football looks if you're on acid. ;)

Does the controlled shot even work in this game? In the last game, it was deadly when used right. But now it doesnt even make a difference. To be honest, I cant even tell if its still in the game or not.

ClassicD said:
Mauras, I never used the free-kick bug, indeed I didn't even know about it until I read on here. It's not logical to shoot from such a distance, so I never tried. There's a very simple solution - don't use it.

yep but it spoiled multiplayer, specially online. Caught a lot of pricks doing that and that's the kind of stupid bug that really spoils MP in such a game.

Don't quite understand your other example from PES5.

Saw that coming :). Hard to describe but surely you can think of 2,3 mecanized plays from PES5, specially if you played a lot online. A lot of things seem to repeat, repeat, repeat... WE10 although has it's faults seems more fluid and variable.

In WE10 if you get a player with any sort of attacking ability, all you do is run at the defender diagonally, changing direction 90° so that you're always running at an angle. You're pretty much guaranteed to beat that defender or create enough space for a shot.

Not 90º. I do 45º swifts in front of the defenders, love doing that :). Did a lot of that in PSX versions, maybe that's why I love it so much. But I think that's OK IF usable only in players with a great reaction and attacking/dribbiling ability. Not sure it can be done as easy with any kind of player, although I see your point. Against good human players is harder to pull though, once they see you doing that 1,2 times they won't be caught again that often.

Which leads me onto shooting in WE10, it's strange. The game is almost too responsive, and the opportunity to use :r2: shooting is limited because the game gets the shot off too quickly.

Agree, sometimes you get some weird shots. Nevertheless what I do with R2 is simple: I use it before shooting. I simply disagree with the official (indeed) explanation you have to do it after you shoot. I've seen that proven several times already in WE10, in situations were I can take my time I press R2 and only then do I shoot and my striker uses the inside of his foot to put a less hard, more controlled ball to the goal. In fact I never pulled it off with the "official" instruction: pressing R2 after shooting (another example of something I always did different since PSX is the fake shot. I never press square before the X. I always press both of them at the same time, probably my finger hits square always before and I pull it off 95% of times, but never in the "official" fashion).

And get a striker with decent power near the goal and the GKs have little chance - get Adriano anywhere near the goal and they have no chance.

True but be fair on that one: Adriano was already a freakin alien in PES5. I think his accuracy should be lower, as he misses a lot in real life.

The collision detection in WE10 is also dubious. Sometimes you'll get your defender into the correct position, time the tackle correctly, and the opponent will just bustle his way through the challenge.

And the game-speed alone is enough to make it more 'arcadey' than PES5, it's how real football looks if you're on acid. ;)[/quote]

RuneEdge said:
Does the controlled shot even work in this game? In the last game, it was deadly when used right. But now it doesnt even make a difference. To be honest, I cant even tell if its still in the game or not.

I've done it 2,3 times, one of the a beatiful curled ball from Sheva on a very tight angle, having beaten the keeper and with a defender coming in sliding on a last minute effort. I took my time, I halted with with R2 and keeping R2 pressed I pressed square a bit and it wen't in.

As I said before although the "official" way to do it says you must press R2 only after pressing square I tend to believe that if you are in the box and press R2 and keep it pressed before shoting you pull off a more controlled shot with the inside of your foot.

If there is one thing I will give detractors it is that the goalkeepers are not perfect, and this has a knock on effect on everything else in the game. They will do erratic and sometimes stupid things. In PES5 and WE9 they were a lot more dependable to the extent that they weren't even a part of the game!.

Let me explain; in the original games the goalkeeper was utterly predictable, not just in his reactions and so forth but also in regards to what he could save, what he couldn't save and how the ball would spill or not spill (etc, etc). It was prefunctory stuff. I'm not even sure goalkeeper attributes had any tangible effect on their effectiveness (you couldn't discern anything anyway).

In WE10 the goalkeepers are erratic. They do stupid, laughable things but they also do intelligent, brilliant things. I've never played a game of PES/WE and ever took notice of the goalkeepers. They have never existed up until this point! and although I can see why people don't like them I don't understand why people can't see the postives from it either.

If I had any reservations it would be that there needs to be more styles of goalkeeper. At the moment we have a bumbling Casillas/Kameni type goalkeeper. Taking into account this is just a game and using relative comparison it's not too hard to imagine them being represented fairly well here. However in the case of someone like Buffon for example it's obviously very wrong. So more differentiation between different keeper styles (or more accurately; abilities) is needed. And yes they could be 'better' but I could say that about everything in the game - what's important is that the goalkeepers are the best they have ever been (they've taken one step back in goalkeeping but made several strides forward in realism) and for the time being that's good enough for me.

Now the difficulty of the game in general is something where I completely disagree with detractors. As I've mentioned earlier I 'owned' PES5 to the extent that I could play 2 and a half seasons of unbeaten football with Villarreal in a league full of Barcelonas and Real Madrids on the hardest difficulty level (six stars).

How is it then that when I come to play WE10 on the same difficulty level, and also for my first few matches on 5 star difficulty level that I find suddenly that the AI of this game is FAR, FAR, FAR SUPERIOR in attacking nuance and that I'm finally, after all this time losing games again! BUT and this is the part that brings a tear to my eye; not through the CPU 'cheating' or manipulating results, not through pure unadulterated incompetance but because the AI is actually capable of threading passes and attacking moves together in order to score goals. The AI is actually a threat now and anyone who goes back to PES5 please tell me; how can you play something so bland and predictable after playing WE10?

Now in a league Cadiz is no longer as difficult as Barcelona. Playing Barcelona I'm up against the ropes. Playing against Cadiz I can control the flow but I'm not always neccessarily in control and they aren't neutered aimless zombies either.

The difference is so huge and so telling that I simply don't buy the notion that people are finding this easier than PES5. If you seriously are then make a video for me please because obviously I'm playing this game wrong or you're telling porkies and I'm inclined to believe the latter so strongly.

All you need to do is set yourself up tactically to have as many players in attacking positions as possible, play very quick passing and get someone with decent shooting ability within 16 yards of the goal. Unless your opponent has his team set up to be ultra-defensive (I'm talking everyone's 'with-ball' arrows set backwards here), the game balance that so obviously favours the attacker will do the rest.
Wrong. I play as Real Madrid so I do have the quality players capable of what you are saying and I do play with three up front (one striker two second-tops) and it's not easy at all on six stars in the master league (and it's always tougher in there). Are you sure you're not playing PES5 because your next statement seems to suggest you are...

And the referees are very whistle-happy in the ML, btw.
What? No they aren't. If you commit a foul then yes, expect them to blow the whistle. Otherwise get on your bike because the referees have been well and truly fixed. It's beautiful after the mess in PES5 and even better because now the AI actually gets it's fair share of bookings and so on.

Also - those complaining about the speed of the game. It does seem too fast to begin with but that's because you are used to the sluggish PES5.

Watch some football then play PES5 and then play WE10 and then tell me which one seems more realistic relatively speaking. Almost certainly WE10.

cigol said:
Wrong. I play as Real Madrid so I do have the quality players capable of what you are saying and I do play with three up front (one striker two second-tops) and it's not easy at all on six stars in the master league (and it's always tougher in there). Are you sure you're not playing PES5 because your next statement seems to suggest you are...

It's about different styles of play, some players are suited to PES5's defensive game while others can exploit the AI in WE10 much better. I am playing as Betis in the ML just now, and I'll admit it isn't as easy with a team that's not 'top-class'. However, use a great team and it becomes quite easy - I have tried using Inter and stopped after 11 games, because I'd scored 40 goals and Adriano had 20 of them!

cigol said:
What? No they aren't. If you commit a foul then yes, expect them to blow the whistle. Otherwise get on your bike because the referees have been well and truly fixed. It's beautiful after the mess in PES5 and even better because now the AI actually gets it's fair share of bookings and so on.

There are still games in the ML where the referee will favour the AI side and blow for every little indescretion possible, not as many as PES5 but they do still happen.

P.S. I've got a scooter. ;)

WE10 is better. The defending is better if anything, because it's not so automatic like in previous versions. That being said WE8LE is better than both to me.

I can't understand how someone could say the goalkeepers are better than they've ever been because they're more human and more realistic etc etc... The fact is they make some of the most laughable and ridiculous errors ever. It would have been good if lower caliber keepers performed like this to have more differentiation between the quality of keepers, but when the best keepers in the world make the same bonehead plays (taking AWFUL angles at balls, parrying the easiest of shots into the middle of the field for an easy rebound, etc) it detracts from the game significantly. Now if there is any decent striker within a certain distance of the goal, say 15 yards, REGARDLESS of the angle, the chances of scoring is through the ceiling. And as defending is already difficult in this version, this makes it even harder as you can't rely on the fact that your keeper will make a save if you give the striker a bad angle to shoot as opposed to letting him go to the middle of the field. The result is that you have to defend perfectly always, giving no room for any shots, (ie to the likes of adriano, who is apparently now the best player in the world... every time I play someone with him on the team, he scores 2-4 goals every time) This is the first time I've ever complained about a new version of winning eleven since I started playing I think with version 6... I always give the game 2 weeks of grace period to get used to the new mechanics, but still when I play against mates now its quite common to have 5-4 6-2 etc games. I used to be a very strong defensive player, giving up maybe a goal a match, it was my strength, and now I find it nearly impossible to play consistently good defense. And its a shame, because EVERY other aspect of the game is better, the control feels great and more fluid, shielding the ball is improved, and everything else just feels more realistic. But I guess I have to give my vote to PES 5 if only because you actually get realistic scorlines in that game, I can't deal with 6-10 goals being scored a game, whether I or my opponent is scoring them :(... That said I haven't given up on the game yet...

ClassicD said:
However, use a great team and it becomes quite easy - I have tried using Inter and stopped after 11 games, because I'd scored 40 goals and Adriano had 20 of them!

you've got to admit that's a not that happy choice :). Inter is the team seabass loves, they are ALWAYS stronger in WE than they ever should be, even if the graphs don't show it.

stilts1844 said:
I always give the game 2 weeks of grace period to get used to the new mechanics, but still when I play against mates now its quite common to have 5-4 6-2 etc games. I used to be a very strong defensive player, giving up maybe a goal a match, it was my strength, and now I find it nearly impossible to play consistently good defense. And its a shame, because EVERY other aspect of the game is better, the control feels great and more fluid, shielding the ball is improved, and everything else just feels more realistic. But I guess I have to give my vote to PES 5 if only because you actually get realistic scorlines in that game, I can't deal with 6-10 goals being scored a game, whether I or my opponent is scoring them :(... That said I haven't given up on the game yet...

I don't know about you, but I always had 6-6 games or so in PES3 and PES4. In WE10, I very often have a result along the lines of a 2-1 or so, but there are definitely less goals than in the previous games. Maybe rush your defending less?

What about PES5/winning eleven 9? I don't see how one could possibly score less goals human on human in this version of the game. I don't rush my defense, I wait until the last minute to commit, defense has always been the strength of my game. Keeper errors probably account for 30% of the goals in this game, which is far too much.

WE10 is miles better than Pro Evo 5 imo. Everything from passing to shooting and one thing I like is its not as easy for defenders to catch up a fast striker like Ronaldo he is put through with a through ball.

However scoring appears to be alot easier especially taking the ball round the keeper. I however think defenders like John Terry are alot harder to take on. They appear to be alot stronger and quicker. WE10 has my thumbs up.

Mauras said:
you've got to admit that's a not that happy choice :). Inter is the team seabass loves, they are ALWAYS stronger in WE than they ever should be, even if the graphs don't show it.
I know he loves them, but they're certainly not the best team in the game.

yep, but the one that ALWAYS has the supernatural side with them. 2 versions ago it was the 5th dimension saves and post savers from Toldo, in the last coulpe of them is the unstopabble Adriano, an extraterrestrial semi-bull that resembles the PSX days when you simply couldn't play with brasil's ronaldo :).

Nah sorry mate, not buying any 'secret' abilities or anything and that's why I found it easy, that's a cop out IMO.

WE10 might be more fun to play for some, but in terms of realism it's way, way behind PES5.

in PES5 it is much easier to stock formations and save them when you are having a cup tournament. it is overly complicated in winning eleven 10. there is also a bug in winning eleven 10, so that when you are having a cup tournament with 3-4 of you, when it goes to the setup screen, only on of you can change your team and the other person has to do it ni the game, and because your formation hasn't been stocked you have to do it in the game which means you have to use subs. also, i hate the way in winning eleven 10 it doesn't save your control set-up so you have to change it each time (i.e. semi-auto, goal keeper cursor and indicator)

Back
Top Bottom