Winning Eleven 10 VS Pro Evolution Soccer 5 (which game do you like best?)

Which is better WE10 or PES5

• Pro Evolution Soccer 5

Votes: 37 20.2%
  • Winning Eleven 10

Votes: 146 79.8%

• Total voters

Young GE

Conference
4 May 2006
Which game do you like better?

ps. sorry if a thread simular to this was already created.

PES5 had a better balance between a tactical game and a more attacking game. WE10 seems to be more focused on attack and defending kinda sucks.

WE10 has problems and bugs that beggar belief from a company the size of Konami, and lets face it the title has changed little overall for years. That said one of the best tweaks from PES 5 has been the ref's and that they are not blowing up every two seconds and giving advantage that works... sometimes ;) . But I would like to see a bigger change from title to title... Agree with Rune on the attack and defence part a little, had some games on PES 5 that were nearly all midfield battles with one or two chances, but the bugs and faults in both titles grate and seem so obvious it makes you wonder who play tests them!!:roll: #-o [-(

i think that we10 is better than pes5 because is more real! it has better control and you have to build tactics to beat someone!

PES5=better. Although we10 is good arcadey fun and frolics. Horrible defending tho..

Hey guys,do you really think you cant make a good defense in WE10????
I think youre totally wrong here,and you will the first to admit it in few weeks/monthes.
I'm playing it about 2 weeks with my mates now,and we have very low score
Matches,due to proper play of defence.

WE10 is just new. I bet everyone will find that boring too. And then probably have a change of opinion.

Last edited:
I think we10 is loads better than pes5, keepers are better, dribbling and shooting is better, long passing is great

I think he means in terms of animations, they do have a lot more variation in that department (there have been next to no one-handed saves since WE6 until WE10). But they are a lot worse at actually keeping goal, yes.

WE10 is a major disappointment. It's so easy, and I know people wanted a more 'free' Winning Eleven, myself included, but they've gone too far and the game is so attack-based it's become unbalanced.

They are worse at keeping goal but they are more realistic for it.

People saying WE10 is so easy is extremely strange to me.

Like I said in another thread; in PES5 I played two seasons UNBEATEN as Villarreal and I never, ever felt challenged. I was simply going through the motions scoring goals as I knew how and all the rest of it. Now I enjoyed it for the most part but the blatant cheating/manipulation and more importantly the referees made playing it extremely fustrating time and time again.

In WE10 I actually feel as though I need to defend. If someone gets a breakaway I actually feel scared. Defending is incredibly difficult but also very rewarding and the new animations make it more fun in standoffs if you choose the wrong direction the player dribbles towards.

Goalkeepers are fragile you can't rely on them to save everything and you have to wary of rebounds. This works both ways and makes for a much more unpredictable and realistic experience.

Defending corners and long balls is now more of a lottery which is also realistic - in the past PES it was too easy to beat the attacker to the ball UNLESS the CPU designated this cross as a goal and then no matter what you did you never got there first or you'd find your world class player magically out of position. In WE10 you concede from corners and crosses but it doesn't feel contrived, it feels more random it feels more realistic and you dont' stop and stare at the screen in disbelief.

This element of unpredictability extends to practically everything and it lends itself to a more natural experience.

The refereeing is improved vastly as well.

ClassicD said:
I think he means in terms of animations, they do have a lot more variation in that department (there have been next to no one-handed saves since WE6 until WE10). But they are a lot worse at actually keeping goal, yes.
Then I guess he's basing everything on animation cuz other than that, PES5 is better if you base it on the gameplay alone.

WE10 is much better than pes5, thank god they removed the auto side stepping thingy, My major problems with WE10 are goal keepers and defending corners,

GKs cant fucking CATCH THE BALL, i mean 9 out of 10 times, the ball slips between their both hands which looks stupid and unrealistic, the other problem is DEFENDING CORNERS, that's the only way the CPU can scores at me, and I cant do jack shit about it....

About defending, I think you have to be very skilled at defending to know how to defend properly in WE10, konami wants people to use their minds when defending and not just holding x all the time. I have no problems with defending…

The good thing is they have removed a lot of useless stuff from the tactical settings, like the Normal strategy, Zone Press/Counter attack ABC, covering is only for the sweeper, there is no line defense, they made is simpler which is good

I've been going back and forth from PES5 to WE10 recently.

I can't decide which I prefer, I'll be having a great game against the computer on 6* really really even on WE10, then suddenly, they'll have a counter attack, do the shittest shot ever going a mile wide, and the keeper punches it into the net. That, for me, totally ruins the entire game. The gameplay itself is a LOT better in WE10, and if the keepers/defences are fixed, and online mode added, that'll easily win.

Also the fact there is no online mode in WE10 is infuriating.

PES5 > WE10, get your act together Konami.

i think WE10 is better

the defense system is quite different from PES5, means you have to forget how you play PES5 and adapt the new system.

using supercancel and proper tactic is how you improve your defending skill.

well, some people think WE10 is too 'arcadey'. me, i voted for WE10. i'm getting used to it :) .
i guess the 80+% of us (at this time) could be wrong :( .

reference: 6* ML/Sporting Clube. sometimes i can't even play 'keep-away' with my back four, at home!

Last edited:
cigol said:

Like I said in another thread; in PES5 I played two seasons UNBEATEN as Villarreal and I never, ever felt challenged. I was simply going through the motions scoring goals as I knew how and all the rest of it. Now I enjoyed it for the most part but the blatant cheating/manipulation and more importantly the referees made playing it extremely fustrating time and time again.

In WE10 I actually feel as though I need to defend. If someone gets a breakaway I actually feel scared. Defending is incredibly difficult but also very rewarding and the new animations make it more fun in standoffs if you choose the wrong direction the player dribbles towards.

Goalkeepers are fragile you can't rely on them to save everything and you have to wary of rebounds. This works both ways and makes for a much more unpredictable and realistic experience.

Defending corners and long balls is now more of a lottery which is also realistic - in the past PES it was too easy to beat the attacker to the ball UNLESS the CPU designated this cross as a goal and then no matter what you did you never got there first or you'd find your world class player magically out of position. In WE10 you concede from corners and crosses but it doesn't feel contrived, it feels more random it feels more realistic and you dont' stop and stare at the screen in disbelief.

This element of unpredictability extends to practically everything and it lends itself to a more natural experience.

All you need to do is set yourself up tactically to have as many players in attacking positions as possible, play very quick passing and get someone with decent shooting ability within 16 yards of the goal. Unless your opponent has his team set up to be ultra-defensive (I'm talking everyone's 'with-ball' arrows set backwards here), the game balance that so obviously favours the attacker will do the rest.

I also have to restrict the camera angle I use for the game to be any fun. If I use any tilt on the camera, or wide mode, it's even easier.

And the referees are very whistle-happy in the ML, btw. ;)

I like WE10 best. PES5 was full of bugs. The most annoying was the AI wanting to settle things in the 89th minute or 119th minute, no matter the opponent, human or CPU, really frustrating.
Also players like Adriano, Recoba, Henry or Shevchenko were too good imho, especially Adriano: you just had to push shoot to score ;)
Of course they will tweak this one to improve PES6 for the European market, for example the goalkeeper-thing...

I can imagine that some of you have problems with the attacking game-play..

I played always at level 3...Level 3 is easy but level 4 is much harder..
When I played level 4 I had the idea that I was playing level 5 or 6...

Now with Winning Eleven 10 I play level 4 and it feels like level 4!
I feel much more challenge, now I can play at level 4.
Okay, the game is easier maybe I play now level 3.5! :)

I miss the ball circling because everything is going way too fast.
I feel like I am playing with a counter-club...

But most of all I like the game a lot!
I like the new movements, and the game is playing really smooth!
Everytime I think Konami couldn't make the game smoother, but they do it all the time! :)

And please don't look at my englisch, cause it sucks!

@ Teacher, who is the gorgeous girl in your profile?

Last edited:
gotto go for we10. Shame the goalies are so crap though. AS for the other comments on arcadey, har dto defend i havent seen this as a negative. In pes5 i played ML 6* with a half youth squad and still managed to easily wint he league/cl/etc and not concede more then 10 goals in the league. Playing ML 6* now with the full liverpool squad and am having difficulty to be 1st. Defense is a bit harder but more inkeeping with the rest of the league now. Also you have more control over the speed at which you play imo, you can go for really quick passing and lose the ball alot or you can slow it down and pass it about looking for an opening.

Its not a huge difference overal but just think the freedom makes it more realistic, shame the goalies bring that back down though :lol:

Just did a meeting with some friends in which we had to use a ps2 with we10 and another with pes5.

Only then did I realise that WE10 was even a greater improvement than I had realised, even if keepers are uter crap. PES5 feels much more mecanized, much more geometrical, much more standartized in gameplay than WE10.

About defense I still don't understand the problems and I disagree from the "all attack" ideia ClassicD gives: I play 442 with 2 quite ofensive SBs and a single DMF. I'm able to defend very effectively against my usual human oponents who used to give me a much harder time in PES5.

As mentioned over and over on this forum the secret is in timing and expectation: you have to control what you're oponent is doing and move against him only when you know you can win the ball. When? First of all then your back is covered. Like in real life if you have a striker coming against you and have a single CB between him and the goal the dumb thing is to go crazy against the striker. Sheperd him to the sidelines, retreat controling him, expecting reinforcements to arrive, call for the pressure of a second player, from the midfield, and only when he is surrounded can you attack him and win his ball, using A LOT of R2 when challenging. That has been my recipe and the reason why I haven't taken more than 1,2 goals per game, usually 0, against oponents who used to give me much more trouble in the past and that are pressing all over like they did in PES5.

It's harder, but it's much more realistic. The thing in We10 is that if you really to the wrong move in defence you can really pay the penalty.

winning eleven 10 for me cuz its better gameplay only thing is that keepers r sloppy n brilliant at the same tym.lol.....but hopefully all will be sorted in tym for the xbox 360 version :D:D:D:D cant wait!!!!!!!

Mauras said:
PES5 feels much more mecanized, much more geometrical, much more standartized in gameplay than WE10.

Indeed, that is a big difference, WE10's gameplay feels more organic than the PES5 gameplay.

WE10 is absolutely not arcady btw, I don't understand why people think that. (Maybe because of the way the players are animated, maybe the players behave more like in, for instance, Sega's Virtua Striker ;). But certainly not arcady gameplaywise)

cigol said:

I agree completley, I dont know how its too easy..

For me even the extra little animations even without extreme improvement on refs WE10 is so much better than PES5. Other reasons like much better comp A.I and even the fact that WE10 has more fluid play i feel. PES5 everything gets caught in the midfield and so hard to take people on the list goes on for me... WE10 is so much better

Back
Top Bottom