Woo hoo another broken 360 to add to the long list

Mmm... I'm still not sure whether I should go for the extended warranty...

Do you retain your warranty after they repair it, or does it end? I was thinking to use Domestic and General to cover my XBox360 as it covers accidental damage, but once you replace the console your warranty ends.

Well my 360 has also died with the 3 red lights after 14 months, which means that it's the first ever console that has given up on me. I still have working N64, Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox consoles. The 360 must be the worst ever piece kit put together in a console (at least the early ones). Anyways i had to go get another one(200 more notes) as there are too many quality games out there and coming to miss out on, at least this one is a bit more quiet and less like a jumbo taking off when running a game..

I remember reading somewhere that Microsoft only had 69 days or so to manufacture the large number of 360s for the worldwide launch(!).

Prob not enough time to fully test the hardware (such was the need to launch by Xmas 2005). I'm presuming the newer models will be more reliable...

Im on my 3rd 360, i got my 3rd after only purchasing the 1st 4 weeks previous, my 2nd had the 3 lights, had the lastest one 3 weeks now, should be ready for my 4th in the next couple of weeks going of previous experience.

Deffinitely take out warranty but take out a store warrranty so if it breaks you just ger a brand new one because i have read some terrible stories about the ones that get sent back from microsoft.
I may consider seling it on ebay when i get it back and buying a new one with the 2 year store warranty.

My disc drive makes really strange grinding noises at times. Its made my PES6 disc really scratched. Scared my (2nd!) 360 is on its way out.

on my 14th month here aswell...i hope there's more working consoles than broken ones out there :-|

i hope there's more working consoles than broken ones out there :-|

Most are working...but it is a worry about the number of consoles breaking down. I know it is a powerful console, but we have paid quite a bit for it and shouldn't expect it to last maximum two years :(

From what I know (Fight Club :roll: ) it takes a certain percentage of broken items before a manufacturer orders a full recall (unless it is a direct danger to health that is - at least it's not blowing up!)

I dont think its an educated debate to compare an Xbox 360 with a N64 or Dreamcast etc.
Its like comparing a radio alarm clock to the latest MP3 players.
Yeh it might be a safer piece of Tech but look what it does and how much processing power is required and with cooling etc.

Im on my 15th nearly 16th month and mine is still running. However sometimes it does what I call a "False Start" where Ill switch in on using the controller, the controller will continually flash but the machine will only show the center green light and not do its proper startup procedure. Sometimes the next time I boot it I get the 1 Red Light saying E74 problem with my AV Cable (its brand fucking new though!!) and other times it fires up fine... Could it be on its way out?

Dj

I've never had the problem DJ mentions (sounds very odd that one), but I've had the one Coopz talks about several times. :|

You say that's "when it's on its way out", but I had it a few months ago for a week solid, and never again since...

I used to have a Sega Master System, GBA, NDS, Xbox, PS2, PSP and PS3, and they have all worked flawlessly.

I'm very surprised how shoddy the Xbox 360 seems to be, in terms of build quality. I know Sony have been given a hard time about the price of the PS3, but very few people have complained about their PS3s breaking down or making loud noises, even for a first batch machine. And this is even with the power supply BUILT IN. I don't mind paying abit more if the quality is there.

I dont think its an educated debate to compare an Xbox 360 with a N64 or Dreamcast etc.
Its like comparing a radio alarm clock to the latest MP3 players.
Yeh it might be a safer piece of Tech but look what it does and how much processing power is required and with cooling etc.

So it's ok that the first wave of 360's is of a poor build that they are conking out then is it, and just cos its more powerful shouldn't be used as an excuse either. We pay a lot of money for a product that is meant to last longer than 14 months, like someone has stated previously we early adopters of the 360 are paying the price for M$ bullish attempt with a worldwide launch, god knows how the QA was back then..

Mine just died in it's 16th month. Bummer.

Going to try buying a new one and switching them, anyone done this?

Only 6 months? it sounds steep to me for £50.

Dj

They rectify what Microsoft did wrong so it should last alot longer than 6 months

but 6 months is nice to have just incase it does go tits up again

and £50 a lot? it saved me buying a new 360 so its money very well spent

Hmmm to me that vid looked a little bit suspect, before we know that could have been swapped for a perfectly good working Xbox 360 Motherboard. I suppose though Spaceman if your out of Warranty its worth a bash.Rather you than me though buddy!

Dj

Mine just died in it's 16th month. Bummer.

Going to try buying a new one and switching them, anyone done this?

It was possible back in the good ol' days when I was a young rascal with my broken PS2. Nowadays though, the shops usually check if it's been opened and validates the serial number (the serial of the 360 can be viewed without opening the box now).

The "it's more powerful, hence it should fail" argument doesn't justify it. If you buy a product, regardless of price, we shouldn't accept that'll generally break sometime soon. The 15-16 month lifespan claims is all over the net - people are already thinking about selling their 360s before it breaks down (like I have done :().

I'll like to see how Ferrari owners will react if their car breaks down within two years. With state of the art systems, you have to expect state of the art engineering.

If it's breaking down because of the heat created, then make it bigger with more fans. If the soldering is coming loose, use better manufacturing processes

Last edited:
Ok read this on gamefaqs and it worked for me.

I'm sure it's no big secret now, since we all know the towel trick fixes most 360's temporarily with soldering issues. So, the answer to the 360 crashing isn't because of overheating, but loose solder joints. I believe the magazines had us believing something else. Sure it getting hot will loosen up the joints, but this will happen either way you look at it. If they were soldered with a better material this wouldn't be happening

I wrapped my broken Xbox 360 with the 3 flashing lights for about 20 mins with a towel allowing no air in it was really hot obviously but it now works.
Still think i will send it in tho.

Wow thats $100 for 6 months over here its $30 (15 pounds) for two years.

You dont get what im saying

They repaired my broken 360 first and foremost that alone is worth £50, but they also give you 6 months cover which is from them. normally you get nothing or very little when something gets repaired

so like i say if your out of warranty with a broken 360, not a working 360 this is a good cheap option

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom