Woo hoo another broken 360 to add to the long list

Ok read this on gamefaqs and it worked for me.

I'm sure it's no big secret now, since we all know the towel trick fixes most 360's temporarily with soldering issues. So, the answer to the 360 crashing isn't because of overheating, but loose solder joints. I believe the magazines had us believing something else. Sure it getting hot will loosen up the joints, but this will happen either way you look at it. If they were soldered with a better material this wouldn't be happening

Theres more than 1 problem

Overheating is caused by a dodgy fan or foil on the heatsink which should have been taken off, thats 2 flashing light normally

3 lights is like you say solder breaking, thats why you can use heat guns/towels to temporaily solve the problem, but it will come back

and you can have a dodgy graphics chip + heat which cause the machine to crash, mine was a combination of all 3 of the above. How lucky am i :)

i just thought of another one

the DVD drive going tits up, thats why people with broken 360s keep there DVD drives if it still works incase there new one breaks (although its not that simple to change)

Last edited:
I'm too scared to think about the potential costs of replacing the Blu-Ray laserhead when it inevitably breaks down on the PS3 :(

(although I have to say, it seems to be v reliable - and there aren't many complaints on the web from first time PS3 buyers)

A lot of people don't realise that they have rights in regards to 360's etc. If your 360 breaks even within 2 years you are still entitled to a replacement form the shop you purchased it form. All you have to do is quote the sales of good act and explain the console hasn't worked for a reasonable time. A £300 machine is expected to last for a long time and not just 1 year. If any shop gives you problems just contact trading standards and they will prepare a letter for you to take to the retailer and they will have no choice but to give you a replacement. MS shouldn't even be in the equation when it comes to getting a replacement your contract is with the retailer you purchased from.

You dont get what im saying

They repaired my broken 360 first and foremost that alone is worth £50, but they also give you 6 months cover which is from them. normally you get nothing or very little when something gets repaired

so like i say if your out of warranty with a broken 360, not a working 360 this is a good cheap option

Well the store i am talking about if your Xbox 360 breaks you take it in and get a brand new one worth $300+ and thats for two years .
Actually thats on any electrical equipment you buy from the store you just buy their extended two year warranty

Well the store i am talking about if your Xbox 360 breaks you take it in and get a brand new one worth $300+ and thats for two years .
Actually thats on any electrical equipment you buy from the store you just buy their extended two year warranty

What JayD is saying however that it is your right to return the item back to the store within the two years regardless of whether you've taken out a warranty or not.

When my first console broke in January (13 months) I just took it back to PC World and got a replacement. No questions asked.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yeah old systems were rock solid, but ever since we moved to optical storage for consoles, the quality fell.

V12 was the first slimline if that says anything, there were 11 versions of the old blocky one.

I had an original launch PS2 for 5 and a half years before I was given a slimline for my birthday, I considered trading it in this week to get the £30, and it worked perfectly.....until I took it to the shop...and it wouldnt read a single disk

My 1st PS2 which was an early model only lasted 2 years before the Disc Read Error problems. My mate had the exact same thing and I thought that wasnt good. If my 360 dies it will be just as bad.

Dj

I bought a V10 model of the PS2, so quite late on, and within a few months of buying, I moved to the Hard Drive/HD Loader camp. So the only time the laser reads is when the PS2 boots up, then the laser stops.

I'm just cautious LOL!

Back
Top Bottom