Saudi Arabia
South Korea
Costa Rica
Trinidad & Tobago
USA
Special pot: Sebria & Montenegro

Last edited:
Re: World Cup 2006 Seeding

Yep, was confused there too. :shock: Does that mean that some group will have 5 teams?

England's group will be as follows, guaranteed:-

England
Tunisia
Poland (they seem to be joined at the hip, not sure if it's allowed tho, so if not the Swiss)
Cost Rica.

FD

The pot I would hope for:
England
Angola
Switzerland
Trinidad & Tobago

Our Group Of Death:
England
Australia
Netherlands
South Korea

joostebrood said:
Isn't it better to swap the pots 2 and 3? It doesn't seem logical to me.

That doesn't matter here. What matters are the teams within the pots, if you know what i mean.

Under the seeding system used by Fifa, England came out second to Brazil and Italy narrowly beat the US into eighth.
Fifa's ranking co-efficient meant that performances at the 2002 World Cup, when England reached the quarter-finals, were given twice as much weight as at 1998.
They also took into account a country's world ranking over the last three years.

SEEDINGS TABLE
Brazil 64
England 51
Spain 50
Germany 48
Mexico 47
France 46
Argentina 44
Italy 44

Friday's draw will work in the following way:
The eight seeded teams will be drawn into eight different groups. Germany have already been allocated Group A and Brazil Group F.

Eight unseeded European sides will be drawn into the eight different groups.

The lowest-ranked European side Serbia and Montenegro will be allocated to one of the groups containing either Brazil, Argentina or Mexico to ensure there is no more than two European sides in any group.

A pot of the five African countries, Australia and the two remaining South American sides drawn into eight different groups.

A pot containing the four Asian countries, the USA, Costa Rica and Trinidad drawn into seven different groups.

Cloud1863 said:
The pot I would hope for:
England
Angola
Switzerland
Trinidad & Tobago

Our Group Of Death:
England
Australia
Netherlands
South Korea

Cloudl1863 hope :
Switzerland (not easy i think Poland more easy than Switzerland)

Cloudl1863 Group Of Death :
Australia (Ivory Coast better)

I know it doesn't really matter indeed, it just is weird.

Anyway, a shame we're not in pot 1, but I guess the country that will draw us from group 1 will also regret the fact we're in group 2 (I'm Dutch btw).

joostebrood said:
Isn't it better to swap the pots 2 and 3? It doesn't seem logical to me.

I think it is because Fifa changed things again and now it is by Geography instead of previous rankings for the rest of the pots.

Ezio

Joost is right Holland deserve to be in pot 1 (more than Germany).
Well that WC will be another disaster for favourites...that's one thing for sure...i hope for a final between Togo and Angola (which is rather impossible, but there will be surpises...).

Disagree totally, although I was hoping England would be in Pot 2 :mrgreen: it was clear due to their record that they deserved to be there more than Holland, just as the others do, although Germany haven't been in the best of shape, they always seem to do well no matter what anyone says.

FD

gerd said:
Joost is right Holland deserve to be in pot 1 (more than Germany).
Well that WC will be another disaster for favourites...that's one thing for sure...i hope for a final between Togo and Angola (which is rather impossible, but there will be surpises...).

well germany is the host nation so they don't have to deserve it :mrgreen: (and a world cup final in 2002 ain't enough for you ?, i'd say there's only one team that did better :D ), they could be the worst team in the world they'd still be seeded

well anyway it's quite logical that teams that didn't even qualify in 2002 aren't seeded, but of course the 8 seeded will rarely be the 8 best teams

wot happened to the oranje, pot 3 ahh welll bring em on anybody that is! apart from brazil in the semi's or quarters

It's frustrating seeing Mexico own a seed when the US has only lost to them once in the last 10 games, but the US kinda screwed itself with its '98 performance and by not accepting an invite to the Copa America.

I can live with the seedings. I actually like the chances of playing v Germany, Italy, France or Spain.

What i DO NOT like is this geographic sanitization occuring in the groupings. What the hell is that all about. Geography is catered to and addressed in the qualification process. After that, the groups should be drawn randomly without regard to geography.

They shouldnt sacrifice the balance of the competition on something as random as a location.

We'll see what happens on Friday.

ghazi said:
They shouldnt sacrifice the balance of the competition on something as random as a location.

I agree there, totally.

joostebrood said:
I know it doesn't really matter indeed, it just is weird.

Anyway, a shame we're not in pot 1, but I guess the country that will draw us from group 1 will also regret the fact we're in group 2 (I'm Dutch btw).

Absolutely, Pot 3 has some tricky teams. Netherlands, Portugal, Czech Republic, Switzerland...

I hate this seeding stuff, just draw the random names out of a hat, would be much better.

This is just designed to ensure teams of a higher standard (in FIFA's opinion) get through to the final whatever it is.

JayM said:
I hate this seeding stuff, just draw the random names out of a hat, would be much better.

This is just designed to ensure teams of a higher standard (in FIFA's opinion) get through to the final whatever it is.

But, really, they haven't done that.

What they HAVE done is essentially favor the European countries by requiring them play TWO teams from weaker pots.

Meanwhile, the US, who's ranked top 10 for years now and missed being a seed by one point, is forced to play TWO European teams and NO Asian teams. . . merely because of its geography.

For a team ranked as high as the US, it seems rather unfair.

JayM said:

Absolutely wrong.
They do this to ensure a successfull and highly attended world cup, from group stage to final.
How would any nation (despite theirs of course) sell out any games in a group consitsting of Angola, Trinidad, South Korea and Iran for example?

It's way better how it is considering even now there are already enough weak pairings in the World cup predestined.
I agree that continental seeding stuff ist just plain stupid. The US and South Korea should be in Pot 3 with the remaining strong European sides, replacing Ukraine and Switzerland, both countries that don't even make it to the Cup regularly.

FIFA wants to use this to ensure that every geographical location will be put apart and can play other teams from different continents....would suck totally if all the Asian teams are put into a pot...i mean, what's the point of the WORLD cup then? lolz

But i definitly do agree that if they put the pots in order of seeding, and then after that, ensure that only one from each continent (with UEFA being exception), is in the group.....then that would be more "fair" in terms of standing and geography

ghazi said:
It's frustrating seeing Mexico own a seed when the US has only lost to them once in the last 10 games, but the US kinda screwed itself with its '98 performance and by not accepting an invite to the Copa America.

I can live with the seedings. I actually like the chances of playing v Germany, Italy, France or Spain.

What i DO NOT like is this geographic sanitization occuring in the groupings. What the hell is that all about. Geography is catered to and addressed in the qualification process. After that, the groups should be drawn randomly without regard to geography.

Hello mate

long time no speak!

The geographical thing was in place in 2002 and as far as i can recall previous tournaments before that, although I agree with what youre saying.

The weird thing in 2002 was that essentially the World Cup was two seperate 16 team tournaments with the final the only time the two sets of 16 sides mixed (due to two nation hosting) - I think it's diffrent this time although would need to check on fifa's site. They also scrapped the rule about teams who qualifiyed in same group being kept apart, and unless that's been changed back, then England could get Poland for instance which i dont really agree with.

db

ps - is that you and your bro in your avatar mate ?

No, that's his pimp. :mrgreen:

I do kinda agree, but as someone already said if a whole group of 1 continent or at least the majority came out together it would be pretty naff.

Although I ain't overly clued up in the African teams, the tournament doesn't seem to have me thinking it's as glamorous with the like of Cameroon, S.Africa and Nigeria, even Senegal not being there and also the likes of Columbia and Uruguay not being there too. Obviously it's good to see some new names and no doubt they deserve to be there, but just have a feeling about the actual qualities of these teams.

FD

Rentalkid said:
Absolutely wrong.
How would any nation (despite theirs of course) sell out any games in a group consitsting of Angola, Trinidad, South Korea and Iran for example?

If i could be garanteed a group with those teams i would buy tickets for all the matches...
The remarks in this thread are very conservative...
In 2O years countries like India, China, South Africa and The Unites States may well be the top nations...why wouldn't countries like Angola and Togo not increase the level of football???
I'm old enough to remember the first time Cameroun played a WC finals (1982 in Spain) who would have thought then that they would become a team that is sorely missed in 2006...
The first super power in football was Uruguay: were are they now...
I'm delighted that there are loads of new countries and i would welcome first round groups consisting of Brazil, Engand, Italy and Portugal (for example)...
Every sports need new stars and new heroes, but football and football fans don't get this and in the end it will mean the end of football...look how boring the "big" competitions are...

Every country in the finals earned the right to be there. If some bigger names didn't make it, it's their own fault. I like to see a bit of change myself.
I too remember watching the '82 World cup gerd :)

Yep he does, although I still have my doubts for the upcoming tournie.

Remember '82 myself, old Davie Narey annoying the Brazilians. :mrgreen: Boniek, Rossi, Armstrong, Robson.

FD

Jeez you fellas make me feel young! 86 was my first WC - Negrete, Josimar, The Moroccan chap who burst the ball, Aztec Gold, humungous goalnets etc... great days {|=

Anybody here used to buy or still got the official Fifa vids of each competition ? Hero the 86 one with Michael Caine doing the voiceovers is without doubt the finest piece of celulloid never to win an oscar!!

Mexico86_zemeken.jpg
http://zemeken.free.fr/images/Mexico86_zemeken.jpg

db

ThomasGOAL said:
Cloudl1863 hope :
Switzerland (not easy i think Poland more easy than Switzerland)

Cloudl1863 Group Of Death :
Australia (Ivory Coast better)

We walked over Switzerland at Euro 2004 and Poland took points from us in the qualifiers tho I dont think there is much in the two sides. Ivory Coast are a decent side but for some reason with all the British based players in Austrailia i feels a bit more of a tougher game.

Back
Top Bottom