Ronaldinho (Milan)
Paulo Henrique Ganso (Santos)
Carlos Eduardo (Hoffenheim)
Alex (Chelsea)
Sandro (Internacional)
Diego Tardelli (Atletico/MG)
Marcelo (Real Madrid)

Last edited:
Re: World Cup 2010 - Brazil Thread - Penta, So o Brasil!

I know a lot of people don't like Dunga's more conserved approach but I like the fact he's got a team and it works well (which isn't the case for other countries).

This side has worked well for a while, will be tough to see who can beat you lot.

I totally agree...i have a lot more confidence in this team than the stellar but heartless 2006 team.

Will be interesting to see how this side fares against opposition that sit back and don't leave themselves open to Brazil's counter attacking style.

Wonder if they'll struggle to break them down like they did with South Africa in the Confederations Cup.

I know a lot of people don't like Dunga's more conserved approach but I like the fact he's got a team and it works well (which isn't the case for other countries).

This side has worked well for a while, will be tough to see who can beat you lot.

I agree.

From what I've seen, a LOT of people don't like Dunga and criticize him. Not me though. I don't like him but I rate him and think he's a good manager and good for Brazil despite not perhaps playing the traditional 'beautiful' Brazilian football. Results are more important and I think Dunga can deliver that.

p.s. #2 goalie is Doni or Gomes? I think it should be Gomes and maybe #3 should've even been Almeria's Diego Alves. But Doni is decent too.

Anyway not that it matters much because Julio Cesar is undisputed #1 and for very good reasons. An absolute top goalie. One of the world's finest and someone who gives Brazil confidence at the back which isn't always something they've had.

I don't think is Dunga's conserved approach that people don't like,
its more like his character, he is unnecessarily a c**t most of the time and his lack of class really offends my intelligence, but Hey, Maybe I'm the conservative.

Theres this beer add here where they show him in the lockers beating on his chest and screaming: "We are warriors!"
Seriously I could not think of a better use for facepalm.

Now about what really matters, his work, its not like its never been done, and its what people expected.

But I would hold on my analysis because WCs are really special and he never showed much flexibility and that game-changer factor.

Lets wait...
Vamos aguardar (brunnoce will get this)

sauce said:
I don't think is Dunga's conserved approach that people don't like,
its more like his character, he is unnecessarily a c**t most of the time and his lack of class really offends my intelligence
seconded ;)

apart from being a classless bastard, he's also made some very weird calls as brazil's coach.... i mean even this squad is pretty strange. doni is the third keeper, even though he's not a starter anymore in roma. and the funniest thing is that the goalkeeper who took doni's starting spot in roma is julio sergio, who is brazilian aswell, and who, despite having done great all season long, didn't make the brazilian squad..... it makes u wonder if dunga has ever watched roma this season.... probably not, otherwise he would know julio baptista is not a starter anymore too...
but i guess his call-ups are the obvious consequence of what happened a few years ago in that copa america... dunga probably feels attached to those players who didn't refuse the call-up that time, and i can understand that.... although i don't think a coach should let theese sort of feelings guide him.
anyhow, like they say, winners are always right, so no matter how many dumb moves he's made, in the last few years he's delivered and should get credit for that.

btw is dunga a paulista? i'm not referring to his birthplace specifically, i'm talking about his interpretation of football. coz from what i see, he seems to be closer to the paulista's football philosophy rather than to the carioca's football philosophy... am i right?
also is the carioca\paulista difference in the approach to football still "alive", or is it just an old clichèe?

They're a well drilled machine, this Brazil side. Know exactly what to do, and the most dangerous side from set pieces in the world.

Very strong contenders. A dream final would be Brazil vs Spain (possession vs counter attack at it's finest).

seconded ;)

apart from being a classless bastard, he's also made some very weird calls as brazil's coach.... i mean even this squad is pretty strange. doni is the third keeper, even though he's not a starter anymore in roma. and the funniest thing is that the goalkeeper who took doni's starting spot in roma is julio sergio, who is brazilian aswell, and who, despite having done great all season long, didn't make the brazilian squad..... it makes u wonder if dunga has ever watched roma this season.... probably not, otherwise he would know julio baptista is not a starter anymore too...

Actually he justified a lot of his call-ups. Doni was selected because he was punished by Roma for the sake of going on a trip with the NT. Anyway, I don't think he will ever be used. 3'rd GK's tend to be the wise ones who can add something positive of the field.

About Baptista, he said he doesn't play because of a guy named Totti, which actually shows he doesn't watch Roma since even when Totti was injured, Baptista didn't play.

Thats right, Doni was called up specifically beacuase of what happened to him at Roma, technicly the 3rd Gk would be Gremio's Victor.

Also, Dunga is from the south of Brazil(Rio Grande do Sul) thats where we play the most competitive football here, they play almost like Argentinian and Uruguayan clubs, with lots of hearts and no really joy for showboat stuff, i actually love it, and this is the approach that brought us the 5th WC with FELIPAO(Also from the south).

I really dig Dunga, i thought his press conference after the call up was brilliant, there are alot of "think that knows" people on the Brazilian press that needed the knock down Dunga provided. Let the man work, u cant contest his work so far, he has been really good.

There will be a lot of creative focus on Kaka, apart from him I dont see a huge amount of creativity in the team. Robinho is a good player but has had an indifferent time of it in Europe on the big stage, I dont think he is in devastating form. There is the threat from the flanks with Maicon and Daniel Alves, and the boy Fabiano is a very good striker. But what would happen if Kaka is injured or he doesnt perform well (he has had an indifferent start to his Real Madrid career). Some of the other strikers Baptista, Grafite, are powerfull almost brutes of players, where is the option for a striker with a bit of craft and guile ? Someone like Pato perhaps (or Bebeto in days gone by), also Midfield seems a strange one again there are lots of functional players or somewhat limited technical ability but there is no crafter with the exception of Kaka / Robinho and Elano at a push, the likes of Melo, Josue, Ramieres are decent players but lack that creative spark. Why not include Ronaldinho, and leave someone like Baptista or Grafite at home ?

People talk about a well organised unit, but this seems like taking the 1998 midfield and ramming it full of 4-5 Cesar Sampaios

The lack of creative players is more like a generation problem than Dunga's
And I would dare to say there are no great holding midfielders in this generation too.

Julio Baptista replaced Kaka very well in the last Copa America, offcourse the team changed the playing style but it worked pretty well, i have no major concerns here, it would be the same as any other Nation losing their biggest stars, definatly a problem but i dont think its any diferent than england missing Rooney or Argentina missing Messi.

I'm excited about Brazil this year. I've never seen a Brazil side so strong in defence before! We can have 2 back lines which are top class: Maicon-Lucio-Juan-Bastos and Alves-T. Silva-Luizão-Gilberto (ok, Gilberto could be out of his depth). An undisputed world class keeper in J. Cesar with a very decent backup, Gomes.

Dunga is sticking to those players who have been loyal to him, most notably some of them who helped Brazil win that Copa America with a 2nd string of players against a complete Argentina side with Messi and all. Julio Baptista was immense in that final and so was Doni.

He doesn't mind too much if a player is first choice in his club, especially when it comes to building strength in depth on the reserves bench. What matters the most is the commitment they've shown when serving the Seleção.

The press and fans have been asking him the same thing: if something happens to Kaka, who will deliver it? He answers it's either Baptista or Robinho in that role, but I don't see it happening... hope Kaka plays throughout the WC.

There was also ridiculous pressure for him to call Ganso and Neymar. Ganso, 20 years old, said to the press that he should've been called because he feels ready. I think such statement is preposterous. These kids started a professional career a year ago, they're not ready for a World Cup! Ideally they must look to be transferred to a big club in Europe and hope to be in the WC 2014 in Brazil. Then I could see it happening for them.

Dunga may well be arrogant, which is irritating for a manager with such a lack of experience. But IMO he has been doing the right things and he should be backed for that. He is taking a Team to South Africa, not a bunch of football millionaires who aren't in it for the glory.

Finally, about Ronaldinho: yes, the guy's talented and he would be perfect to replace Kaka if needed. But Ronaldinho himself is a c**t. Will he be content staying in the reserves? Will he behave like he did in 2006 and in Beijing 2008? I think he means nothing but trouble to Dunga. If he takes a guy with the status of Ronaldinho, he will have to cram him into the starting 11. But why mess with that?

When Gilberto was first called I thought he could do a very solid job as a LB, he hasn't been playing like this at Cruzeiro but even as a AMF he shows to be a hard guy to pass by, he has awesome timming and is pretty strong.
But I'm a bit concerned now cause he can't keep his fitness and he is struggling a bit in last couple of games.
If he get fit I can see him being a solid LB who know when to defend really well and only attacks when its safe, specially in tough matches if Michel Bastos have trouble, but he won't have.

About the Ganso thing I think he is very ready, and I don't think he is pretentious at all, the media surely is overhyping it, but still he shows moments of pure brilliance on the pitch, on interviews and the most impressive on the tactical point of view of the game. Whoever get this kid in Europe gonna be getting a major talent.
He could be that guy that goes just to gain experience like Ronaldo in '94 and Kaká in '02 but the major question is in whose place? On the Midfield everyone have a unique quality. Thats why I think Dunga didn't called him.

Im with Rentboy(and Dunga) on the Ganso situation... he has to prove himself more imo.. State championships doesnt say anything to me.

Although said that, id like to see an AMC such as Diego or Alex(Fenerbahce) instead of Kleberson(I dont think he adds anything to the squad, really, whatever he can do, Ramires can do it better)

thanks for the info guys :)) i didn't know that story about doni.
and u're also right about dunga. like him or not (i personally don't, but that's just a personal opinion) he's delivered so far, hence deserves support :))

Brasil squad looks shit to be frank. Dunga is a pile of barca dun it`s a shame too would like to see Brasil lift it. Oh Well!

Bastos is an incredible attacking talent but to play him as left-back, I'm not too confident about his defensive abilities and he'll get forward perhaps far too often!

And yeah it's true that Brazil really do need Kaka to perform well, don't they? I mean in some way, you can say a LOT of pressure is put on his shoulders with this squad and team selections to provide that 'magic spark' and creativity and flair. I think he will be fine though and he will deliver and make Brazilians proud. I hope so anyway but we shall see... :)

And yeah it's a shame for Diego to miss out. He's still one of the world's top talents and one of the best in his position. But after a miserable 1st season to Juve, I guess it's not a huge surprise he missed out.

As for Ronnie, I'm personally in favour of not having selected him.

Wouldn't Diego back-up to Kaka make more sense than Baptista as the back-up to Kaka?? Like as a lot of you have said, an immense pressure is on Kaka to do well for Brasil to lead them to win, but as he was inconsistent this season mainly due to change of league and adaptation issues, can't the same be said of Diego who just moved to Serie A? I'm just afraid that some teams will go out to cut out or take Kaka out of his game, and there goes our creative spark in midfield...I can't see Elano or Melo or Robinho providing the spark in Kaka's place...

Bastos is an incredible attacking talent but to play him as left-back, I'm not too confident about his defensive abilities and he'll get forward perhaps far too often!

And yeah it's true that Brazil really do need Kaka to perform well, don't they? I mean in some way, you can say a LOT of pressure is put on his shoulders with this squad and team selections to provide that 'magic spark' and creativity and flair. I think he will be fine though and he will deliver and make Brazilians proud. I hope so anyway but we shall see... :)

And yeah it's a shame for Diego to miss out. He's still one of the world's top talents and one of the best in his position. But after a miserable 1st season to Juve, I guess it's not a huge surprise he missed out.

As for Ronnie, I'm personally in favour of not having selected him.

Bastos came up as a LB here at Figueirense and he was really good at it, offcourse as most Brazilian full backs he attacked a lot better than defend, but again thats just what brazilian full backs do in general.

About Diego, Dunga lost faith in him after his awful 2008 Olympic games, he never got called up again after that.

Baptista is a backup for a second striker too isn't he? If you loose Robinho, Nilmar is the speedy one, but if you want strength then you have Baptista.

The only possible drops I see in the MF is using Daniel Alves there, and taking Ramires Kleberson or Elano.

But I think Kleberson is better than Ramires at playmaking, he is probably the only deep'ish' playmaker.

Ramires is incredible, but I don't rate his passing that high.
This may sound weird, but Elano, Ramires and Daniel Alves (when in MF) jobs are very similar, the guys that cover the right flank and run a lot in counter attacks.

But who gives the pass for those runners? Should be Felipe Melo and thats not something you can trust, just like Josue and thats where I see Kleberson but he's too offensive.

Brazil lacks some deep lying playmakers and I'm talking generally not this WC squad,
who can name an option there? It would be an interesting topic as I can't remember anyone now.

Anderson possibly for the future?

Anderson possibly for the future?

Anderson was called quite a few times by Dunga and I think he was at the Olympics fiasco. It wasn't his fault, but I think he lost space on the National Team after a few disappointing performances on the qualifiers and especially for not playing regularly for Man Utd. He has been out of favour with Ferguson, hasn't he?

I think Denilson has a better chance than Anderson to get called up(not comparing them), nevertheless Sandro is ahead of both, and now playing for Tottenham he will problaby secure a nt spot after the WC regulary.

I think Denilson has a better chance than Anderson to get called up(not comparing them), nevertheless Sandro is ahead of both, and now playing for Tottenham he will problaby secure a nt spot after the WC regulary.

I don't know about Sandro, since I haven't been following Brazilian football lately. But Denilson has a long way to go! I reckon "Big Proof" Anderson is much more ready than him. Denilson needs a serious bollocking for being such a lazy bastard. Dunga would eat him alive :LOL:

I'm disappointed with Denilson to be honest, I think he deserves a season on loan with Wigan or Bolton to understand the responsibility and dedication required to wear an Arsenal shirt, let alone the yellow shirt!

I don't think none of these guys are the type of player I'm looking for, they come close...

I saw the other 7 players Dunga named in the 30 he submitted to Fifa.

They are Sandro, Neymar, Ganso, Ronaldinho, Diego Tardelli, Carlos Eduardo & Marcelo so there is a chance of Ganso going if there is an injury and this is proof Sandro is definitely closer to the NT than Denilson or Anderson.

To be fair, Anderson doesn't deserve to be anywhere near the national team.

He's been injured a lot of the season, and then terrible when he was playing.

Yeah completely agree.

Back
Top Bottom